Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sourhamptons toughest pub 22:36 - Apr 30 with 8766 viewsthis_charming_man

My vote goes to the elephant and castle on Burlsedon Road. Evidence, the locals battering wolves main firm (which included the guy (gilly) who’d been on the hooligans documentary a few years before) after they called in there on the way back to the M27 after the 2003 cup games.

Place your nominations here.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 22:52]

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Southamptons toughest pub (n/t) on 22:37 - Apr 30 with 7328 viewsthis_charming_man

Too young for the warrens and painted wagon so cannot comment.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 22:53]

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 22:50 - Apr 30 with 7307 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The Kingsland Tavern on a non-football day was something else.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:01 - Apr 30 with 7288 viewscocklebreath

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 22:50 - Apr 30 by Gennaro_Contaldo

The Kingsland Tavern on a non-football day was something else.

I was in there once after a game with 2 mates, a bloke came over and said he was gonna put a glass in my face if I looked at him again, we left and went to the plume and a few mates from Winchester were in there, we told them what happened and quick as a flash the winch boys went in and chased the bloke off, that was my top football factory moment.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:03 - Apr 30 with 7276 viewsthis_charming_man

Liverpool got done in there first season at st Mary’s

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:06 - Apr 30 with 7268 viewscocklebreath

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:03 - Apr 30 by this_charming_man

Liverpool got done in there first season at st Mary’s

I’d of loved to have seen that, goofy coonts

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:14 - Apr 30 with 7264 viewsBicester_North

Most of the roughest estate pubs are long gone. The Maybush, Seaweed at Weston, Swallows in Thornhill, all very shady at one time. I did go in the Elephant a couple
of times and found it fine but that Wolves form would definitely disagree.
These days I think the Griffin in Shirley would be the most notorious one.
That end of Shirley was always full of people who wanted a row, Tramways, the Shirley hotel, Windsor Castle

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:15 - Apr 30 with 7259 viewsBicester_North

What was that place on St Marys estate where the group of Man United came unstuck and the bloke nearly died, more of a club than a pub
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 23:17]

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:28 - Apr 30 with 7243 viewsthis_charming_man

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:14 - Apr 30 by Bicester_North

Most of the roughest estate pubs are long gone. The Maybush, Seaweed at Weston, Swallows in Thornhill, all very shady at one time. I did go in the Elephant a couple
That end of Shirley was always full of people who wanted a row, Tramways, the Shirley hotel, Windsor Castle

. The target was another dodgy one. I never really went over that side, I was from east side Occasionally went to the woodman but like you say all the main state pubs are gone. Elephant and castle was fine if you weren’t a div, but some real loons used to go there.

That was Gladstone’s where Man U came a cropper.

Login to get fewer ads

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:29 - Apr 30 with 7240 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:28 - Apr 30 by this_charming_man

. The target was another dodgy one. I never really went over that side, I was from east side Occasionally went to the woodman but like you say all the main state pubs are gone. Elephant and castle was fine if you weren’t a div, but some real loons used to go there.

I started school east side (Bitterne Manor), but always thought west was best ....

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:42 - Apr 30 with 7229 viewsBicester_North

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:28 - Apr 30 by this_charming_man

Gladstone that’s it.

None of them are as tough as the self publicised toughest pub in Britain though

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 00:45 - May 1 with 7194 viewsgreen

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:15 - Apr 30 by Bicester_North

What was that place on St Marys estate where the group of Man United came unstuck and the bloke nearly died, more of a club than a pub
[Post edited 30 Apr 2020 23:17]

Gladstone?
Sourhamptons toughest pub on 06:42 - May 1 with 7126 viewsUmPahars

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 00:45 - May 1 by green

Gladstone?

The Gladstone Club was a CIU working mans club just off of St Mary’s Street, before you entered the Golden Grove Estate.

I few rough places of old down that way would be The Greyhound, The Clan Scotland Club and a Aggie Grays
Sourhamptons toughest pub on 08:43 - May 1 with 7047 viewsthis_charming_man

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 06:42 - May 1 by UmPahars

The Gladstone Club was a CIU working mans club just off of St Mary’s Street, before you entered the Golden Grove Estate.

I few rough places of old down that way would be The Greyhound, The Clan Scotland Club and a Aggie Grays

Aggie Grays was great, could get served in there very young, i remember a group of us going in there when we were all about 15, the eldest being 17 and none of us having any problems getting served.

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 10:20 - May 1 with 6982 viewsRednWight

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 00:45 - May 1 by green

Gladstone?

Ended up in Gladstone after a game first season at St Mary’s
Defiantly a place not to pick a fight

Got cab to ferry and driver said. You timed that well we don’t come here in dark
[Post edited 1 May 2020 10:21]

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 11:23 - May 1 with 6936 viewsHeisenberg

The decline of the traditional back street boozer is very sad. No where in the world ,with the exception of Ireland, comes anywhere close to the great British pub. It is unique to this country. So many closing down is a loss to our national heritage now replaced by the awful Witherspoons and other chains or gastro pubs knocking out poncey food at ridiculous prices. There are still a few left and the micro brewery pubs popping up are a bonus. As soon as this is all over I can't wait to nip into the pub for a few beers.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 17:19 - May 1 with 6771 viewskingslandstand1

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 23:14 - Apr 30 by Bicester_North

You can add the Hinkler in Thornhill as well if you weren't a local
Sourhamptons toughest pub on 10:41 - May 2 with 6599 viewsSaintNick

In my youth the Fighting Cocks and the Royal Oak in Millbrook always had a reputation as did the Saints.

Non footballing wise you would not venture into the Rumrunners on queens terrrace without trepitation and there were other docklands pubs with reputations for hard drinking dockers and lorry drivers .

Places like The Marsh, The Royal Albert as well as the one on Marine Parade that was at one time called the Le Tissiers feet.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 12:35 - May 2 with 6532 viewsMushty

Another ‘hotpot’ not for the faint of heart could be the ‘notorious‘ Juniper Berry, a licquorice-allsorts type of a boozer and one that was usually lively.

City Centre pubs were mostly best at weekends/match days as so many people were bombed out during/after the war, out to the new council estates springing up around Southampton’s outskirts. Some estate pubs were pretty much ‘tread carefully’ if you weren’t known.

Lord Louis and the Southerner worthy of a mention.
[Post edited 2 May 2020 12:37]
Sourhamptons toughest pub on 12:41 - May 2 with 6523 viewsMushty

What was the Shirley Warren pub ‘Tudors’ called before the Gregorys took it over and it changed name? There were some iffy places around that way.
Sourhamptons toughest pub on 17:36 - May 2 with 6416 viewsMr_Happy

Where's Sourhampton?

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

Southamptons toughest pub on 17:37 - May 2 with 6414 viewsMr_Happy

The Waggoners was pretty rough back in the day.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 18:01 - May 2 with 6388 viewsgrumpy

Shirley Warren has always been a tough area.
Southamptons toughest pub on 04:13 - May 3 with 6280 viewsBicester_North

Southamptons toughest pub on 17:37 - May 2 by Mr_Happy

The Waggoners was pretty rough back in the day.

What at Paulton’s Park? Any rough ones round Turlin Moor Mr Hucksake?

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 10:01 - May 3 with 6204 viewsSaint_Beaker

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 12:41 - May 2 by Mushty

What was the Shirley Warren pub ‘Tudors’ called before the Gregorys took it over and it changed name? There were some iffy places around that way.

The Ice House in Warren Avenue is one i recall being a bit iffy. And that sheethole of a place by Sainsbury's in Lordshill, the Mountbatten. The Woodman could hold its own back in the 80's. The Victory in Foundary Lane was under estimated. The Rising Sun on Shirley Road always seemed to have something going down, again back in the 80's. All in all, there were quite a few i recall being on edge at when I went in. But then, I am a lover not a fighter.
Sourhamptons toughest pub on 10:46 - May 3 with 6178 viewskernow

Sourhamptons toughest pub on 10:01 - May 3 by Saint_Beaker

The Ice House in Warren Avenue is one i recall being a bit iffy. And that sheethole of a place by Sainsbury's in Lordshill, the Mountbatten. The Woodman could hold its own back in the 80's. The Victory in Foundary Lane was under estimated. The Rising Sun on Shirley Road always seemed to have something going down, again back in the 80's. All in all, there were quite a few i recall being on edge at when I went in. But then, I am a lover not a fighter.

"I am a lover not a fighter".
The Juniper Berry for you then.
You could combine them both in one glorious, rapturous evening.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024