Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post-Covid UK 09:52 - May 13 with 2610 viewsBoris_

Once this is all over, are you going to change anything you do?

I am going to ensure I never spend a penny again with businesses who have acted like c*nts through this, including:

Virgin
Wetherspoons
Sports Direct ( or any Mike Ashley owned/associated brand )
RyanAir

I want to holiday in England much more often, planning trips to the Lake District and Cornwall once we are through this.

I've got used to using Grocers and Butchers again and want to continue buying British were possible and supporting independent stores.

We might actually come out of this the other side with a better country than before.

Poll: Claude Puel

Post-Covid UK on 12:42 - May 13 with 1071 viewscocklebreath

If everyone is going to holiday in the UK it’s going to be horrific.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Post-Covid UK on 12:49 - May 13 with 1055 viewsBoris_

Post-Covid UK on 12:42 - May 13 by cocklebreath

If everyone is going to holiday in the UK it’s going to be horrific.

I hope one things that schools do after this is to allow children to have 10 days a year out of school holidays that kids can take off for family holidays etc.

Shorten the summer holiday to 4 weeks and allow kids to book time off during term time, if not at a critical time such as exams.

That would even out the peak periods and flatten the spike of holidays costing so much more during school holidays.

Also extending the UK holiday season and bringing more revenue in.

[Post edited 13 May 2020 12:51]

Post-Covid UK on 12:51 - May 13 with 1052 viewsYarman

Post-Covid UK on 12:34 - May 13 by Boris_

I think I probably know a few of them, Ash the Bash and pals.

I have generally go 5 or 6 times a season and is always a good day out. Clubs like Eastleigh are going to need the money far more than Saints.

It's also very likely that football with crowds will come back in stages/based on capacity so might well be that Eastleigh actually open their doors long before Saints which should push the sales up.

Yep... them and many more,
Post-Covid UK on 13:20 - May 13 with 1032 viewsYarman

Post-Covid UK on 12:26 - May 13 by Sadoldgit

Sorry to hear that. Hope you are ok now? I have a mate who is just recovering from prostate cancer after losing his wife to the disease 2 years ago. We do tend to take good health for granted but as you say, who knows what is waiting for us down the line? Keep well.

I am ok at the moment, thank you for asking, I had eye cancer and had to go up to Liverpool for fantastic treatment from the NHS, unfortunately l have lost the sight in my left eye.
Post-Covid UK on 13:36 - May 13 with 1011 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Post-Covid UK on 10:54 - May 13 by DorsetIan

I think you get the prize for the TUI poster for whom all this has had the most profound effect.

I've been working at home at least 2 days a week for the last 10 years or so. At the time I was fortunately placed in a firm where they wanted to be flexible with me, but once it had been agreed I was careful to always move on the same terms. You do right to insist on keeping what you've now got. All that wasted commuting time and stress, and I am sure that you are just, if not more, productive.

Wishing you all the best with your changes.

I think I'm just at a stage in life being nearly mid-40s where I feel like I can make some changes, i,e, spend more to buy British and where other things are more important to me like having a young family that I want to see rather than the helmets at work.

You've been very fortunate to WFH for that much. Generally I do 1 day a week and make up a lame excuse to do another day. But it should be the norm to do 2, 3, 4 days a week at home in future. The odd day in the office will be fine, if the hours are outside peak commuting times. Generally I work on the train and use that as my working day as well, but in future if we have to queue to get on trains, the time wasted queuing will annoy everyone who could've been at home.

With regards to buying British BTW, I'm well aware that some stuff will need to be imported, that's fine - trade internally is still crucial, but it's making a point of trying to buy local and seasonal and items "made in Britain" as much as possible.

And thank you, I hope everyone comes out of this with decent lifestyle changes and no redundancies among this forum.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Post-Covid UK on 13:54 - May 13 with 1004 viewsBison

Post-Covid UK on 13:36 - May 13 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I think I'm just at a stage in life being nearly mid-40s where I feel like I can make some changes, i,e, spend more to buy British and where other things are more important to me like having a young family that I want to see rather than the helmets at work.

You've been very fortunate to WFH for that much. Generally I do 1 day a week and make up a lame excuse to do another day. But it should be the norm to do 2, 3, 4 days a week at home in future. The odd day in the office will be fine, if the hours are outside peak commuting times. Generally I work on the train and use that as my working day as well, but in future if we have to queue to get on trains, the time wasted queuing will annoy everyone who could've been at home.

With regards to buying British BTW, I'm well aware that some stuff will need to be imported, that's fine - trade internally is still crucial, but it's making a point of trying to buy local and seasonal and items "made in Britain" as much as possible.

And thank you, I hope everyone comes out of this with decent lifestyle changes and no redundancies among this forum.

I used to commute from Southampton to Canary Wharf and got a weekly ticket so would work 5 days in a row and then 5 working days off i.e. Thursday to Wednesday then work from home so rather than a monthly season ticket used to get 2 x 7 day ones.

That was until they brought in desk sharing so I would find myself several floors away from my team so was pointless going into work. I told them I wasn't doing that anymore and I now work from home all week apart from when I have to go into London or upto Sheffield.

I do find I get a bit stir crazy though working from home all the time as with modern tech nobody actually phones anymore so I can go all day without speaking !

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Post-Covid UK on 15:23 - May 13 with 970 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Post-Covid UK on 13:54 - May 13 by Bison

I used to commute from Southampton to Canary Wharf and got a weekly ticket so would work 5 days in a row and then 5 working days off i.e. Thursday to Wednesday then work from home so rather than a monthly season ticket used to get 2 x 7 day ones.

That was until they brought in desk sharing so I would find myself several floors away from my team so was pointless going into work. I told them I wasn't doing that anymore and I now work from home all week apart from when I have to go into London or upto Sheffield.

I do find I get a bit stir crazy though working from home all the time as with modern tech nobody actually phones anymore so I can go all day without speaking !

Yes I found that when I was in one of the massive buildings in Canary Wharf. The hot desking or whatever they called it just meant you'd spend hours trying to find people as they were sat somewhere different that day. Utterly pointless. WFH is a sensible response to that, nice work!

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Post-Covid UK on 15:45 - May 13 with 957 viewsSadoldgit

They brought in hot desking when I worked at the CPS. We had a number of empty offices in our building snd plenty of room for the staff to have their own desks (especially given that they were actively reducing staff levels) but we still were not allowed to have our own desks. We actually got rid of perfectly good desks so that we could hot desk properly! Crazy.
Login to get fewer ads

Post-Covid UK on 16:06 - May 13 with 951 viewsTheMoog

Post-Covid UK on 15:45 - May 13 by Sadoldgit

They brought in hot desking when I worked at the CPS. We had a number of empty offices in our building snd plenty of room for the staff to have their own desks (especially given that they were actively reducing staff levels) but we still were not allowed to have our own desks. We actually got rid of perfectly good desks so that we could hot desk properly! Crazy.

CPS managers are famously useless.

Standby to standby

Post-Covid UK on 18:28 - May 13 with 916 viewsSadoldgit

Post-Covid UK on 16:06 - May 13 by TheMoog

CPS managers are famously useless.

We had some very good managers. There isn’t much you can do when told you have your budget cut year after year and have to get rid of staff and office buildings as that is the only way you can make ends meet.
Post-Covid UK on 23:56 - May 13 with 863 viewsRon11

Post-Covid UK on 10:47 - May 13 by Sadoldgit

Let me get this right, as soon as the pandemic is over, the UK will start to build our own cars and motorbikes again, the steel factories and coal mines will reopen along with all of the other things that have disappeared since the 1970’s? Don’t hold your breath. The economy will be screwed and even if you could afford the luxury of buying British even if it is more expensive, there will be precious little to buy that is Made In The UK. As for only going on holiday in the UK, a few wet and windy summers will soon knock that on the head.

After reading that, old man Steptoe comes to mind...
Post-Covid UK on 06:40 - May 14 with 832 viewssaint68

Post-Covid UK on 10:07 - May 13 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I think I covered this in a post a few weeks ago, but I agree with the above.

I will;
1. Continue to support local farm shops who have been delivering local and seasonal meat, veg and salad to me every week. Less money for the big supermarkets and I will not support buying non-seasonal produce being flown in from Mexico etc.

2. Buy as British as I can. I want to see more companies make stuff in the UK. I will buy it, even if it costs more.

3. I don't fly now, but I will make it even less frequent. It should be a real luxury. Holidays in the UK or by Eurostar.

4. Continue to oppose HS2 and add the Heathrow expansion to my opposition - the pandemic has cleared the air and started to sort the climate out, let's keep it that way.

5. Keep the garden together and keep planting trees.

6. I haven't had a takeaway for over 2 months, we don't need them, I like cooking and will continue to cook healthy food.

7. Work from home. At most I'll go to London twice a week - if my current company won't facilitate that in future then I'll find somewhere that will.

8. See family more!

9. Make more effort to check on neighbours and see if they're okay.

10. Never watch Piers Morgan on TV again.

Agree with the entirety of that GC

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Post-Covid UK on 08:46 - May 14 with 802 viewsJaySaint

Personally, I think support for teachers will wear thin, very quickly...

They (well, their top brass) need to stop being political and get on with it

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Post-Covid UK on 09:05 - May 14 with 787 viewsgrumpy

Post-Covid UK on 08:46 - May 14 by JaySaint

Exactly how are teachers being political?
Post-Covid UK on 09:11 - May 14 with 783 viewsBoris_

Post-Covid UK on 08:46 - May 14 by JaySaint

I think with the more rationale people will lose patience with teachers because:

a) Evidence suggests that the likelihood of children being able to transmit the virus to other kids is unlikely.

b) This is not a killer virus for children, the vast vast majority won't even have any symptoms. Flu and Pneumonia are contagious diseases that have always been around and kids are much more likely to catch it. ( before anyone pipes up, yes there will be a '1 in a million' case of a death - there is always someone who unfortunately will have a reaction )

Alas, someone needs to have the b*llocks to say that Primary School children do not need to socially distance ( as they are doing in other countries with no reports of infection )
[Post edited 14 May 2020 9:16]

Post-Covid UK on 09:15 - May 14 with 775 viewsJaySaint

Post-Covid UK on 09:05 - May 14 by grumpy

Exactly how are teachers being political?

By refusing to engage with the Govt

at the same time, will stand outside tonight and conduct an act of virtue signalling towards people who face the threat head-on

today's society would have wilted within 3-6 months at the start of WW2
[Post edited 14 May 2020 9:18]

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Post-Covid UK on 09:25 - May 14 with 759 viewsgrumpy

Post-Covid UK on 09:15 - May 14 by JaySaint

By refusing to engage with the Govt

at the same time, will stand outside tonight and conduct an act of virtue signalling towards people who face the threat head-on

today's society would have wilted within 3-6 months at the start of WW2
[Post edited 14 May 2020 9:18]

How would you suggest they engage with the Government?
Post-Covid UK on 09:54 - May 14 with 740 viewsBoris_

Post-Covid UK on 09:25 - May 14 by grumpy

How would you suggest they engage with the Government?

By encouraging their teachers to come up with plans to make their schools 'covid secure' rather than telling them not to engage in planning to make their schools safe?

Post-Covid UK on 10:07 - May 14 with 729 viewsMessysaints

Post-Covid UK on 09:11 - May 14 by Boris_

I think with the more rationale people will lose patience with teachers because:

a) Evidence suggests that the likelihood of children being able to transmit the virus to other kids is unlikely.

b) This is not a killer virus for children, the vast vast majority won't even have any symptoms. Flu and Pneumonia are contagious diseases that have always been around and kids are much more likely to catch it. ( before anyone pipes up, yes there will be a '1 in a million' case of a death - there is always someone who unfortunately will have a reaction )

Alas, someone needs to have the b*llocks to say that Primary School children do not need to socially distance ( as they are doing in other countries with no reports of infection )
[Post edited 14 May 2020 9:16]

No evidence to say that kids are not Contagious... Don't believe every thing you read / hear, kids are being used as lab rats... https://fullfact.org/health/children-transmitting-coronavirus/

My 8 year old will not be going school until it is safe to do so and school teaches dnt need wear ppe... seeing some pictures and how other schools are going back around the world. No way us my child going.... Its cruel
Post-Covid UK on 10:18 - May 14 with 715 viewsBoris_

Post-Covid UK on 10:07 - May 14 by Messysaints

No evidence to say that kids are not Contagious... Don't believe every thing you read / hear, kids are being used as lab rats... https://fullfact.org/health/children-transmitting-coronavirus/

My 8 year old will not be going school until it is safe to do so and school teaches dnt need wear ppe... seeing some pictures and how other schools are going back around the world. No way us my child going.... Its cruel

It is still 'unknown' because nobody wants to put their name to it.

What is 'known' is that 3 people under the age of 20 have died from Coronavirus in the UK with no underlying medical conditions ( although with no post mortem, there is no way of knowing if there was an undiagnosed pre-existing condition in those 3 too )

The hysterically negative media has washed off on everyone and now we have an irrational fear of any risk. 50 children are run over and killed each year and 1,800 seriously injured, the majority on the way to/from school.

56,000 children went to hospital with Pneumonia as an Emergency in the last recorded year. 27 children died.

The risk to children from being critically ill or dying of covid is miniscule. There are far bigger risks out there.

The risk to their education, mental and social health by not being in school in normal conditions ( eg minimal social distancing ) is far greater.
[Post edited 14 May 2020 10:19]

Post-Covid UK on 10:18 - May 14 with 715 viewsSadoldgit

Apparently the Department of Education’s scientific advisers have not done any modelling on how the virus is transmitted in classrooms and the government are not providing the “evidence” they are basing their decision to reopen schools for scrutiny. Given the way that they have behaved so far, the teachers unions are absolutely right not to trust them.
Post-Covid UK on 10:24 - May 14 with 708 viewsgrumpy

Post-Covid UK on 09:54 - May 14 by Boris_

By encouraging their teachers to come up with plans to make their schools 'covid secure' rather than telling them not to engage in planning to make their schools safe?

https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus-teachers-concerns-about-school-openings

'The NUE has written to Boris Johnson asking the Government to urgently SHARE its modelling,evidence and plans for reopening schools.
[Post edited 14 May 2020 10:30]
Post-Covid UK on 10:38 - May 14 with 693 viewsSadoldgit

Post-Covid UK on 10:18 - May 14 by Boris_

It is still 'unknown' because nobody wants to put their name to it.

What is 'known' is that 3 people under the age of 20 have died from Coronavirus in the UK with no underlying medical conditions ( although with no post mortem, there is no way of knowing if there was an undiagnosed pre-existing condition in those 3 too )

The hysterically negative media has washed off on everyone and now we have an irrational fear of any risk. 50 children are run over and killed each year and 1,800 seriously injured, the majority on the way to/from school.

56,000 children went to hospital with Pneumonia as an Emergency in the last recorded year. 27 children died.

The risk to children from being critically ill or dying of covid is miniscule. There are far bigger risks out there.

The risk to their education, mental and social health by not being in school in normal conditions ( eg minimal social distancing ) is far greater.
[Post edited 14 May 2020 10:19]

Are you the government adviser? You seem very blasé to the clear risks to teachers and the issue of the issue of the other covid related infections that children are picking up. If I were a parent I would put my faith in the union’s approach.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024