Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Second wave 21:06 - May 20 with 6296 viewsPatfromPoole

Give it 2-3 weeks.

Bournemouth / Poole will be full of it.

Drove past Bournemouth Pier at 11.30am this morning and it was a moment of despair.....

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18462766.coronavirus-concerns-crowds-pack

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Second wave on 08:39 - May 22 with 1133 viewsRednWight

Second wave on 07:43 - May 22 by Boris_

Here's another example of irrational bed wetting from the Boris haters.

You've only looked at the title, which refers to the immunity rate almost 2 months ago...

Also, Sweden are not heading for the highest death rate per capita at all. Belgium have had almost double Swedens rate. UK, France, Italy, Spain all have a significantly higher death rate per 1m population.

Sweden currently has a higher death rate per population than UK
Presumably because of no lock down
This in a country with about 1/6 of the UK s population in a country almost twice the size
I’m no expert but I imagine the vastly more dense population ( in both meanings ) in this country Would have resulted in a vastly more infected population

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Second wave on 09:35 - May 22 with 1107 viewsBoris_

Second wave on 08:39 - May 22 by RednWight

Sweden currently has a higher death rate per population than UK
Presumably because of no lock down
This in a country with about 1/6 of the UK s population in a country almost twice the size
I’m no expert but I imagine the vastly more dense population ( in both meanings ) in this country Would have resulted in a vastly more infected population

It doesn't? Where are people getting this propaganda from that they seem to be falling for?

Deaths per 1million population:

Spain - 598
UK - 531
Italy - 537
France - 432
Belgium - 793
Sweden - 384

People need to calm the fook down and stop listening to Piers Morgan or allowing their mind to feed off anti-tory propaganda.

When you take everything in to account, we are performing the same as every other largely populated country in Europe, with the exception of Germany.

Poll: Claude Puel

Second wave on 09:58 - May 22 with 1090 viewsDorsetIan

Second wave on 09:35 - May 22 by Boris_

It doesn't? Where are people getting this propaganda from that they seem to be falling for?

Spain - 598
UK - 531
Italy - 537
France - 432
Belgium - 793
Sweden - 384

People need to calm the fook down and stop listening to Piers Morgan or allowing their mind to feed off anti-tory propaganda.

When you take everything in to account, we are performing the same as every other largely populated country in Europe, with the exception of Germany.

...yes, which is not very well when compared to Germany, South Korea, Honk Kong, New Zealand, Australia and other countries that have actually done a good job with this.

The fact that we seemed to behind Italy, Spain and France with this also makes me think that we had an opportunity to learn a few lessons and do better than them, which we clearly didn't do.

Listen to British Nobel Prize winner Paul Nurse on Radio 4 this morning bemoaning the general lack of leadership.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Second wave on 10:13 - May 22 with 1076 viewsRednWight

Spain - 598
UK - 531
Italy - 537
France - 432
Belgium - 793
Sweden - 384

That information came from Daily Telegraph
You may have missed the word ‘ currently ‘ in my post
[Post edited 22 May 2020 10:14]

Second wave on 10:22 - May 22 with 1063 viewsBoris_

Second wave on 10:13 - May 22 by RednWight

That information came from Daily Telegraph
You may have missed the word ‘ currently ‘ in my post
[Post edited 22 May 2020 10:14]

So you're cherry picking stats to suit your political agenda? I am talking about specific overall stats.

Second wave on 10:31 - May 22 with 1058 viewsBoris_

Second wave on 09:58 - May 22 by DorsetIan

...yes, which is not very well when compared to Germany, South Korea, Honk Kong, New Zealand, Australia and other countries that have actually done a good job with this.

The fact that we seemed to behind Italy, Spain and France with this also makes me think that we had an opportunity to learn a few lessons and do better than them, which we clearly didn't do.

Listen to British Nobel Prize winner Paul Nurse on Radio 4 this morning bemoaning the general lack of leadership.

You cannot compare us to countries like New Zealand for a number of reasons, which most rational people without a political agenda would understand.

Do some maths to work out who has done well and who hasn't. Some factors to take in to account are:

Population density.
Population diversity.
Number of International visitors for BUSINESS and tourism.
Weather / Season during the outbreak.
Culture ( much easier in places like South Korea where there is a much more compliant culture )
Overall population.
Accuracy of published numbers - many many many countries will be bullsh*tting about their numbers and/or not including numbers in all settings.

Overall, we have done 'average' - we are certainly not the best but we're also not the worst and we draw the short straw in pretty much every factor above which means we were never going get off lightly with this virus.

See, one again I'll keep giving you the facts whilst you keep wetting the bed because of Brexit and nasty Boris etc.

Second wave on 10:51 - May 22 with 1042 viewsSadoldgit

Spain - 598
UK - 531
Italy - 537
France - 432
Belgium - 793
Sweden - 384

Damning in itself as we had more time to prepare than most of these other countries yet still manage weeks of inactivity before succumbing to one of the highest (and at one point the highest) mortality rate in Europe. You daily attempts at being the lead apologist for this government are beyond tiresome, as are your childish gibes about Brexit and bed wetting. How long before you use your hero’s “girl swot” gibe I wonder? Do yourself a favour, take off the blinkers and read something other than the Daily Mail. Most sensible people can see that the government have and still are making a right hash of this situation. The latest u-turn about NHS subsidies is just another example of winging it. If Hancock was working for a private company he would be out of the door by now. This lot are a shambles and if you really can’t see that, then there is no hope for you.
Second wave on 14:09 - May 22 with 1021 viewsRednWight

Second wave on 10:22 - May 22 by Boris_

So you're cherry picking stats to suit your political agenda? I am talking about specific overall stats.

I’m not cherry picking anything and I have no agenda
It’s not my fault if you didn’t read correctly what I’d put
The point I was trying to make was the Swedish method would have been catastrophic in Uk because of density of population
For that reason I’d also agree we can’t be compared to New Zealand as you stated elsewhere

Login to get fewer ads

Second wave on 14:32 - May 22 with 1007 viewsBoris_

Second wave on 14:09 - May 22 by RednWight

I’m not cherry picking anything and I have no agenda
It’s not my fault if you didn’t read correctly what I’d put
The point I was trying to make was the Swedish method would have been catastrophic in Uk because of density of population
For that reason I’d also agree we can’t be compared to New Zealand as you stated elsewhere

"Sweden currently has a higher death rate per population than UK"

They don't.

Second wave on 14:52 - May 22 with 996 viewsRednWight

Second wave on 14:32 - May 22 by Boris_

"Sweden currently has a higher death rate per population than UK"

They don't.

In the seven days to May 20th Sweden had 6.8 per million deaths due to Covid 19
Uk had 5.57
Is maths not your strong point ?
I accept currently could conceivably be today but don’t have figures for that
I also accept you may not want to believe the Daily Telegraph
I assume you accept that with a much smaller density of population Sweden could expect to have a lower rate than us

Second wave on 14:57 - May 22 with 992 viewsBoris_

Second wave on 14:52 - May 22 by RednWight

In the seven days to May 20th Sweden had 6.8 per million deaths due to Covid 19
Uk had 5.57
Is maths not your strong point ?
I accept currently could conceivably be today but don’t have figures for that
I also accept you may not want to believe the Daily Telegraph
I assume you accept that with a much smaller density of population Sweden could expect to have a lower rate than us

That's a 7 day period in months. Unless it continues to rise then it means nothing as there is always fluctuations in death rates for many reasons, especially reporting lags etc.

We're also not allowed to use population density as an excuse. If we were then the government opposers would have to admit that actually Italy, Spain and France's death rates are actually much worse than ours, which they are if you apply density in to the ratio.

You can''t use population density when it suits.

Second wave on 15:07 - May 22 with 986 viewsRednWight

Second wave on 14:57 - May 22 by Boris_

That's a 7 day period in months. Unless it continues to rise then it means nothing as there is always fluctuations in death rates for many reasons, especially reporting lags etc.

We're also not allowed to use population density as an excuse. If we were then the government opposers would have to admit that actually Italy, Spain and France's death rates are actually much worse than ours, which they are if you apply density in to the ratio.

You can''t use population density when it suits.

Yes. The seven days up to 2 days ago
Hence my use of the word current
As for France etc. I don’t think I’ve ever commented about rates in relation to Uk
Seems to me density would account for a lot in rate of infection in any country
If you don’t come into contact with many people you’re not likely to pass on or get a virus as opposed to someone who’s near lots of people

Second wave on 15:15 - May 22 with 978 viewsBoris_

Second wave on 15:07 - May 22 by RednWight

Yes. The seven days up to 2 days ago
Hence my use of the word current
As for France etc. I don’t think I’ve ever commented about rates in relation to Uk
Seems to me density would account for a lot in rate of infection in any country
If you don’t come into contact with many people you’re not likely to pass on or get a virus as opposed to someone who’s near lots of people

Completely agree with you mush. We need to take all factors in if we want to compare to other countries.

I am neither an opposer of the government, nor a supporter. That allows me just to look at the facts rather than be swayed by any political beliefs.

I think they've done some things shockingly bad, some things were out of their hands, others they have made the right decision on and some things, such as the rapid increase in hospital ICU capacity was very impressive.

Overall, if this was a school report, I'd give them a C- , so slightly less than satisfactory.

Second wave on 15:29 - May 22 with 974 viewsRednWight

Second wave on 15:15 - May 22 by Boris_

Completely agree with you mush. We need to take all factors in if we want to compare to other countries.

I am neither an opposer of the government, nor a supporter. That allows me just to look at the facts rather than be swayed by any political beliefs.

I think they've done some things shockingly bad, some things were out of their hands, others they have made the right decision on and some things, such as the rapid increase in hospital ICU capacity was very impressive.

Overall, if this was a school report, I'd give them a C- , so slightly less than satisfactory.

Can’t argue with that really
Unlike some on here if I disagree with you on something I don’t feel obliged to disagree with everything else you say or call you names

Second wave on 17:08 - May 22 with 936 viewsDorsetIan

Second wave on 10:31 - May 22 by Boris_

You cannot compare us to countries like New Zealand for a number of reasons, which most rational people without a political agenda would understand.

Do some maths to work out who has done well and who hasn't. Some factors to take in to account are:

Population density.
Population diversity.
Number of International visitors for BUSINESS and tourism.
Weather / Season during the outbreak.
Culture ( much easier in places like South Korea where there is a much more compliant culture )
Overall population.
Accuracy of published numbers - many many many countries will be bullsh*tting about their numbers and/or not including numbers in all settings.

Overall, we have done 'average' - we are certainly not the best but we're also not the worst and we draw the short straw in pretty much every factor above which means we were never going get off lightly with this virus.

See, one again I'll keep giving you the facts whilst you keep wetting the bed because of Brexit and nasty Boris etc.

Interesting that you would call me a bed-wetter and refer to Brexit when I would be happy to agree to a C- rating. For one of the richest and most developed countries in the world, I think that’s really disappointing.

Your stuff about international comparisons is pointless. All you are doing is providing a list of possible excuses.

As you insist on referring everything back to Brexit, wasn’t one of the big leave messages that we were so much better than everyone else and being held back by plodding Euro bureaucracy? First opportunity we get to show how innovative and dynamic we are and we don’t exactly set the world alight. Mediocre is the word that comes to my mind.

The Brexit dream appealed to a hubristic sense of British superiority. Pride often comes before a fall, and maybe finding out that we are not special will introduce a bit more humility into the national psyche.

Second wave on 17:29 - Jun 5 with 825 viewsPatfromPoole

Who would have guessed it?

R rate now at 1 in the South West.

Time for localised lockdowns methinks.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Second wave on 17:41 - Jun 5 with 807 viewsBoris_

Second wave on 17:29 - Jun 5 by PatfromPoole

*estimated.

The stats are still showing a consistent downward trend.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2020 17:42]

Second wave on 17:51 - Jun 5 with 786 viewsSadoldgit

You would think so wouldn’t you, after the talk of dealing with outbreaks locally. But Hancock seems to only worry about the national figure so far which, as we know, is an across the board average and not much help regionally. Maybe it is because the track and trace system isn’t running properly yet, but it is strange that 1 was supposed to be the magic number, and now it isn’t.
Second wave on 17:54 - Jun 5 with 790 viewsBazza

Second wave on 09:58 - May 22 by DorsetIan

Paul Nurse wiki quoted as Labour Party member for 40 years so not that smart eh?
Second wave on 20:00 - Jun 5 with 740 viewsDorsetIan

Second wave on 17:54 - Jun 5 by Bazza

Paul Nurse wiki quoted as Labour Party member for 40 years so not that smart eh?

Smart enough to win a nobel prize. How many have you got?

Second wave on 20:24 - Jun 5 with 720 viewsCenturion

The real story will only become clear 12 months form now.

At the moment, to use a football analogy, it is like producing a summary of the how the league season finished whilst writing in October.
Second wave on 10:03 - Jun 6 with 642 viewssaint68

A flare up in Weston super mare has been the main reason for the spike in the south west, I'd imagine it will be about a week before a significant rise again in the Bournemouth, poole,wareham lulworth areas...if not then that would imply the worst is over...time will tell

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Second wave on 11:00 - Jun 6 with 623 viewsChesham_Saint

Second wave on 10:03 - Jun 6 by saint68

A flare up in Weston super mare has been the main reason for the spike in the south west, I'd imagine it will be about a week before a significant rise again in the Bournemouth, poole,wareham lulworth areas...if not then that would imply the worst is over...time will tell

Isn't there a clear precedent with the 2018/19 Spanish flu? A second far worse wave followed as everyone assumed it was all over...and it wasn't.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Second wave on 11:25 - Jun 6 with 609 viewsDorsetIan

Second wave on 10:03 - Jun 6 by saint68

The good news too is that there were very few cases in the South West. It matters less if every case infects one other, if there aren't many cases to start with.

A high R number in the North West, where there are many more cases, is much more concerning.

Second wave on 11:53 - Jun 6 with 587 viewscocklebreath

Second wave on 11:00 - Jun 6 by Chesham_Saint

Isn't there a clear precedent with the 2018/19 Spanish flu? A second far worse wave followed as everyone assumed it was all over...and it wasn't.

Surely that will help stop it happening this time, after lockdown back then there were street party’s etc, this time surely caution will be the key

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024