Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict 22:29 - Jul 13 with 2533 viewscynicalsaint

Guessing it's going to be something about defensive mistakes.

Wouldn't have lost that with fonte and Van Dijk.
Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 22:38 - Jul 13 with 2508 viewsTimSaint

There were plenty of mistakes from both sides, but you obviously didn't watch it til the end, because contrary to what you said, we DIDN'T lose !!

TimSaint

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 22:43 - Jul 13 with 2495 viewsdirk_doone

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 22:38 - Jul 13 by TimSaint

There were plenty of mistakes from both sides, but you obviously didn't watch it til the end, because contrary to what you said, we DIDN'T lose !!

We had more possession than United, played most of the game in their half, had more passes, more corners, more shots at goal and more shots on target. No wonder, Solskjaer said after the game that United didn't deserve to win and praised Southampton for being a good side.

Man of the Match: Bertrand.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 23:15]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 22:50 - Jul 13 with 2457 viewscynicalsaint

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 22:38 - Jul 13 by TimSaint

I did - but it felt like a defeat. the mighty LFC would have walked that. All down to Stephens and Bednarek as usual.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2020 22:51]
Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 23:17 - Jul 13 with 2391 viewsSadoldgit

Played brilliantly for the first 18 minutes then lost the plot for 10 minutes but despite a few players not on their game tonight we put in a good performance overall and deserved a point. United tear plenty of teams apart so to restrict them to 2 was no mean feat.
Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 23:47 - Jul 13 with 2338 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

If I'm honest, Ole GS' (can't be bothered to spell his name) interview made me feel funny ... he was very complimentary about Saints without being gushing, well worth a listen ... that's both him and Guardiola who have been stunned and both been positive about Saints ... next season will be good! If it is, Hassenhuttl will be very hot property though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53303199

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 00:01 - Jul 14 with 2320 viewsdirk_doone

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 23:47 - Jul 13 by Gennaro_Contaldo

If I'm honest, Ole GS' (can't be bothered to spell his name) interview made me feel funny ... he was very complimentary about Saints without being gushing, well worth a listen ... that's both him and Guardiola who have been stunned and both been positive about Saints ... next season will be good! If it is, Hassenhuttl will be very hot property though.

Whatever may be said about about Gao, the people he has put in control of the club seem far more trustworthy than Les Reed.

In spite of Gao's lack of money, they seem to be more focussed on keeping our manager and players than cashing in on them at the earliest opportunity. So, I am very optimistic about the club's future, with Ralph being encouraged to build on his success here in a way that Pochettino and Koeman weren't.

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 00:05 - Jul 14 with 2313 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 00:01 - Jul 14 by dirk_doone

Whatever may be said about about Gao, the people he has put in control of the club seem far more trustworthy than Les Reed.

In spite of Gao's lack of money, they seem to be more focussed on keeping our manager and players than cashing in on them at the earliest opportunity. So, I am very optimistic about the club's future, with Ralph being encouraged to build on his success here in a way that Pochettino and Koeman weren't.

Agreed! The new regime does seem very well picked.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 03:17 - Jul 14 with 2245 viewssledger

Thought the United manager was fairly honest in his appraisal of the game,the complete opposite to his captain Maguire who rolled out a mountain of excuses and at one stage I thought he was going to break down and blub about it,england international yeh right,man up
Login to get fewer ads

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 07:42 - Jul 14 with 2123 viewsRon11

Typical BBC.
"The Red Devils had been the better side for most of the match".
Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 07:57 - Jul 14 with 2105 viewsBuggalugs

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 22:50 - Jul 13 by cynicalsaint

I did - but it felt like a defeat. the mighty LFC would have walked that. All down to Stephens and Bednarek as usual.

We score a 96th minute equaliser at Old Trafford and you think it feels like a defeat?

I think you're supporting the wrong team pal.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 08:15 - Jul 14 with 2089 views1ASIN12

Have to agree Ole was a lot more honest then Harry Maguire was.
Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 08:47 - Jul 14 with 2044 viewssaint22

Maguire isn't half the player he thinks he is
He makes vestergaard look quick
Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 11:06 - Jul 14 with 1986 viewsSaintNick

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 22:50 - Jul 13 by cynicalsaint

I am not comparing us to "The mighty LFC" I am just comparing us to previous defenders in the Premier League years.

If either played alongside for instance Jose Fonte of 5 years ago they could make reasonable central defenders, but as a pairing they are terrible, neither can organise, mark their men or hold their position.

Don't take my word for it, watch a video of every goal we have conceded over not just this season but going back and most are central defensive issues.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, how many clubs have tried to sign Stephens for instance yet Leicester want Vestergaard, strange one that I would agree.

All season we have been a top 10 side going forward and bottom 3 side defending, I.m sick to death of defensive mistakes,

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 11:31 - Jul 14 with 1975 viewsButty101

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 11:06 - Jul 14 by SaintNick

I am not comparing us to "The mighty LFC" I am just comparing us to previous defenders in the Premier League years.

If either played alongside for instance Jose Fonte of 5 years ago they could make reasonable central defenders, but as a pairing they are terrible, neither can organise, mark their men or hold their position.

Don't take my word for it, watch a video of every goal we have conceded over not just this season but going back and most are central defensive issues.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, how many clubs have tried to sign Stephens for instance yet Leicester want Vestergaard, strange one that I would agree.

All season we have been a top 10 side going forward and bottom 3 side defending, I.m sick to death of defensive mistakes,

Stephens would cost more than Vestergaard being English and a regular in our team. By all accounts Leicester are looking for back up.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 11:47 - Jul 14 with 1961 viewsSaintNick

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 11:31 - Jul 14 by Butty101

Stephens would cost more than Vestergaard being English and a regular in our team. By all accounts Leicester are looking for back up.

According to Transfermarkt, who are usually quite a good judge of a players value he is currently worth £4.95 million, his highest level £7.2 million in 2018.

Vestergaard is valued at £10.80 million and has dropped drastically since December when he was still valued at £16 million

Jan Bednarek is currently £10.80 million slightly down from last summer.

These are of course the figures based on form etc and not what a club is willing to pay.

Could you see another Premier League club signing Stephens ? could you see another club paying much more than £5 million ?

This tells us where we are as a defence

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 13:47 - Jul 14 with 1897 viewsSadoldgit

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 11:06 - Jul 14 by SaintNick

The mistakes at the back are frustrating, but the game is played at such a tempo these days that I think that causes more mistakes than a few years back. Week after week you see errors leading to goals, not just us. I completely agree that we need to bring in a quality centre half, but we aren’t the only mid table side in need of tightening up at the back.
Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 14:45 - Jul 14 with 1865 viewsdirk_doone

I'll just copy and past my comment from the home page:

Saints play an attacking style of football. In spits of that, the bottom 3 teams have all conceded more goals than us so it is unfair to say our defence is like theirs. If it weren't for that thrashing by Leicester when we were fielding a different defence, with Valery and Vestergaard, our defensive record would be similar to Chelsea's.

Fonte and van Dijk formed a world class central defensive partnership and it was probably the best Saints have had in our entire history. Few central defences will ever be that good but Stephens and Bednarek are developing into a very good partnership.

Most central defenders don't reach their peak until they are nearly 30, so young, top class central defenders are like gold dust. Maguire cost £75 million and Stones £50 million yet on recent form Stephens has looked better than both of them. His performance against Manchester City was one of the finest by any young central defender in the Premier League this season.

We have had some brilliant goals scored against us. You have to give the other team credit sometimes. But, you also have to give our defenders credit for conceding so few goals in recent weeks against top teams like Man City and Man United. Both had been scoring hatfuls of goals against other teams before they faced us.

Solskjaer loaded up his best attacking players on United's left flank to put maximum pressure on our young. inexperienced right back, Walker-Peters and it helped them score 2 goals but that was still fewer than they have scored against other teams recently and credit to Walker-Peters for sticking to his task in the second half after taking a battering.

Finally, can we have a bit more joy and celebration in our match verdicts, please? Since the lockdown, Saints have been one of the best as well as one of the most entertaining teams in the Premier League. They have been an absolute joy to watch and the manager and all of the players deserve a lot of credit for that.

I'll add this:

We went through a rocky patch when Valery and Vestergaard were both playing but we have also seen some excellent performances from Saints' defence this season against top attacks:

Saints 1 Man City 0
Leicester 1 Saints 2
Saints 1 Spurs 0
Chelsea 0 Saints 2
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 15:09]

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 15:35 - Jul 14 with 1821 viewsA1079

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 14:45 - Jul 14 by dirk_doone

Saints play an attacking style of football. In spits of that, the bottom 3 teams have all conceded more goals than us so it is unfair to say our defence is like theirs. If it weren't for that thrashing by Leicester when we were fielding a different defence, with Valery and Vestergaard, our defensive record would be similar to Chelsea's.

Fonte and van Dijk formed a world class central defensive partnership and it was probably the best Saints have had in our entire history. Few central defences will ever be that good but Stephens and Bednarek are developing into a very good partnership.

Most central defenders don't reach their peak until they are nearly 30, so young, top class central defenders are like gold dust. Maguire cost £75 million and Stones £50 million yet on recent form Stephens has looked better than both of them. His performance against Manchester City was one of the finest by any young central defender in the Premier League this season.

We have had some brilliant goals scored against us. You have to give the other team credit sometimes. But, you also have to give our defenders credit for conceding so few goals in recent weeks against top teams like Man City and Man United. Both had been scoring hatfuls of goals against other teams before they faced us.

Solskjaer loaded up his best attacking players on United's left flank to put maximum pressure on our young. inexperienced right back, Walker-Peters and it helped them score 2 goals but that was still fewer than they have scored against other teams recently and credit to Walker-Peters for sticking to his task in the second half after taking a battering.

Finally, can we have a bit more joy and celebration in our match verdicts, please? Since the lockdown, Saints have been one of the best as well as one of the most entertaining teams in the Premier League. They have been an absolute joy to watch and the manager and all of the players deserve a lot of credit for that.

I'll add this:

We went through a rocky patch when Valery and Vestergaard were both playing but we have also seen some excellent performances from Saints' defence this season against top attacks:

Saints 1 Man City 0
Leicester 1 Saints 2
Saints 1 Spurs 0
Chelsea 0 Saints 2

Excellently put Dirk doone.
Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 15:38 - Jul 14 with 1816 viewsSaintNick

Man Utd vs. Saints - The Verdict on 14:45 - Jul 14 by dirk_doone

I'll add this:

Saints 1 Man City 0
Leicester 1 Saints 2
Saints 1 Spurs 0
Chelsea 0 Saints 2

You are right Fonte & Wright were a good patnership, but they complimented each other, Fonte although a yard slower than at his peak could read a game and organise, neither Bednarek or Stephens can do this and approaching 27 Stephens should be able to do this by now.

So they will never be a great partnership because neither is a natural organiser, leader, or reader of the game, Benarek could develop into a decent player alongside a Fonte like character, but I think Stephens is neither one or the other, he is not a big strong stopper nor is he a Captain, he reminds me very much of Mark Whitlock from the 1980's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024