Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time for a Top 3 19:49 - Jul 24 with 911 viewsPatfromPoole

Worst 3 Saints managers of the last 30 years.

I have come to this conclusion based on access to money to spend on players, quality of players inherited and quality of players acquired.

1. Redknapp
2. Pellegrino
3. Burley

Notable mentions for Wigley, Stuart Gray and Poortvliet.

I don’t actually think Branfoot was that bad. There were some decent times, and in his first two seasons he made us bloody hard to play against. Partly as he filled the team with bruisers, in truth.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Time for a Top 3 on 20:51 - Jul 24 with 861 viewsBicester_North

I actually enjoyed the Branfoot era as it galvanised the fans, but if we didn’t have MLT at the peak of his powers, Branfoot would have got us relegated. Also Branfoot didn’t even want to pick him FFS

1) Redknapp- absolute prick and failed to get anything out of a squad that should never have been relegated
2) Pellegrino
3) Wigley

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Time for a Top 3 on 21:07 - Jul 24 with 846 viewsSadoldgit

1. Redknapp
2. Pellegrino
3. The Dutch duo

Burley got us winning away matches (including thrashing Wolves) after years of being poor on the road and got us into the play offs so I don’t think he should be in the list.
Time for a Top 3 on 22:29 - Jul 24 with 806 viewsPatfromPoole

Heartened by the number one pick not just being my choice.

I do think Poortvliet was useless, though he had nothing to spend. That said, one could argue a side containing Kelvin, Schneiderlin, Lallana and McGoldrick should have done a lot better than to get relegated.

Time for a Top 3 on 22:30 - Jul 24 with 806 viewskernow

Dave Merrington didn't pull up too many trees.
Branfoot lost the dressing room.
Pellegrino never found it did he?
Time for a Top 3 on 22:33 - Jul 24 with 802 viewskernow

Time for a Top 3 on 22:29 - Jul 24 by PatfromPoole

Heartened by the number one pick not just being my choice.

I do think Poortvliet was useless, though he had nothing to spend. That said, one could argue a side containing Kelvin, Schneiderlin, Lallana and McGoldrick should have done a lot better than to get relegated.

That was a youth team trying to survive in the Championship.
Time for a Top 3 on 23:24 - Jul 24 with 775 viewsSaintsforeverj

1) Pellegrino
2) Wigley
3) Poortvliet / Watte

Pellegrino was "scruffy", and a very poor manager, amongst other things for buying Carillo. Wigley, was weak and seem to remember Pearson coming into to crack the whip as Wigley was so soft with the players. And the Dutch duo, didn't they both manage for a while? They were both dreadful, albeit with a terrible team.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Time for a Top 3 on 00:40 - Jul 25 with 754 viewscocklebreath

Redknapp
Pelligrino
Hughes/Burley can’t separate them

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Time for a Top 3 on 07:57 - Jul 25 with 701 viewsCity_boy

Branfoot and Wigley by a mile, followed by Dave Merrington (Nice guy but out of his depth)
Login to get fewer ads

Time for a Top 3 on 09:57 - Jul 25 with 648 viewsChesham_Saint

1. Steve Wigley
2. Branfoot*
3. Stuart Gray

A hard choice as we’ve had so many. I left out Redknapp as he Is more of a complete cvnt of a human being than our worst manager. Grey and Wigley on the other hand, may have been ok people but were utterly useless managers.

As for Branfoot, anyone who needs reminding just how bad he was should watch the tape of the Newcastle match where MLT scored those amazing goals. The camera pans back to the bench As Matt scores the first and you can see Branfoot looks upset and tells the sub who’s warming up (Moody I think - and just how shit was he btw?) to sit down.

Branfoot was a disaster and almost lost us Le Tissier (which should be a capital crime in my book!).

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Time for a Top 3 on 10:42 - Jul 25 with 630 viewsSadoldgit

Time for a Top 3 on 23:24 - Jul 24 by Saintsforeverj

1) Pellegrino
2) Wigley
3) Poortvliet / Watte

Pellegrino was "scruffy", and a very poor manager, amongst other things for buying Carillo. Wigley, was weak and seem to remember Pearson coming into to crack the whip as Wigley was so soft with the players. And the Dutch duo, didn't they both manage for a while? They were both dreadful, albeit with a terrible team.

One took over from the other but can never remember which way round.
Time for a Top 3 on 11:10 - Jul 25 with 613 viewsPatfromPoole

Time for a Top 3 on 10:42 - Jul 25 by Sadoldgit

One took over from the other but can never remember which way round.

Poortvliet started off as manager, and Wotte finished off the shit storm of a season as manager.

Wotte struck me as being a little bit mental.

Time for a Top 3 on 13:39 - Jul 25 with 550 viewsdirk_doone

1. Branfoot
2. Wigley
3. Hughes

Statistically,, of those managers who were in charge for more than 20 games, Mark Hughes was the worst in our entire history. His record was worse than Pellegrino's. If Hughes had been in charge for a whole of that 2017/18 season, he would certainly have got us relegated. Also, along with Branfoot and Jones, Hughes was one of the 3 I liked least.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2020 14:14]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Time for a Top 3 on 14:27 - Jul 25 with 523 viewsA1079

1. Branfoot - will always be my number 1 worse manager because he did everything to undo what we had for no real reason. The style of football, his management of the team, his inability to get the best out of players or recognise the best of the players.

Struggle for an order after that but the following are all up there with Branfoot but for different reasons:-

Pellegrino - completely incompetent from the start
Gray
Wigley
Poortvliet and his joint coach

Burley - he was not the worst for me he is not that far behind and Redknapp - never quite understood what he was up to but I always felt we were being used by him.

One manager I recall but I don't think he had time to prove whether he was going to be any good or not and that was Paul Sturrock - does anyone recall why it was he suddenly left and did not last for more than a few games? If I vaguely recall we hired him on the back of some relative success with Plymouth Argyle.
Time for a Top 3 on 14:35 - Jul 25 with 515 viewsDellHero_Would

Time for a Top 3 on 14:27 - Jul 25 by A1079

1. Branfoot - will always be my number 1 worse manager because he did everything to undo what we had for no real reason. The style of football, his management of the team, his inability to get the best out of players or recognise the best of the players.

Struggle for an order after that but the following are all up there with Branfoot but for different reasons:-

Gray
Wigley

Burley - he was not the worst for me he is not that far behind and Redknapp - never quite understood what he was up to but I always felt we were being used by him.

One manager I recall but I don't think he had time to prove whether he was going to be any good or not and that was Paul Sturrock - does anyone recall why it was he suddenly left and did not last for more than a few games? If I vaguely recall we hired him on the back of some relative success with Plymouth Argyle.

Too big for his billy big boots Beattie got Sturrock the sack allegedly.

Poll: Wearing a mask

Time for a Top 3 on 15:10 - Jul 25 with 483 viewsChesham_Saint

Time for a Top 3 on 14:35 - Jul 25 by DellHero_Would

I thought it was something to do with ?

Time for a Top 3 on 15:11 - Jul 25 with 482 viewsChesham_Saint

Time for a Top 3 on 14:27 - Jul 25 by A1079

Gray
Wigley

Wasn’t Brantfoot’s first act dumping Jimmy Case? A complete arsehole (Branfoot, not Casey!).

Time for a Top 3 on 15:12 - Jul 25 with 483 viewsSaintsforeverj

Time for a Top 3 on 14:35 - Jul 25 by DellHero_Would

Sturrock took on a good side built by Strachan. The team then got worse and worse over time, I seem to remember. He was also quite fat, and wasn't very communicative with the fans. So considering he had a good team, he is a possible candidate but we did have a free w good results under him, beating Liverpool at home and Wolves away.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024