Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain 10:26 - Sep 1 with 18824 viewsdirk_doone

This topic seems to be discussed on here a lot by our obsessed visitor from Little Pompey so here are all the main lists that take a range of criteria into account.

Talksport give a very balanced, objective view, taking a range of criteria into account:

https://talksport.com/football/320299/top-30-biggest-football-clubs-britain-30-n

An alternative list from 1Sports1, also taking a range of criteria into account:

https://www.1sports1.com/biggest-football-clubs-in-the-uk/

Football database ranking:

https://footballdatabase.com/ranking/england/1

World Soccer's Big Club Survey results, again using a range of criteria:

https://www.worldsoccer.com/news/makes-big-club-408679

The Big Club Survey: How we did it:

https://blog.betway.com/football/the-big-club-survey-how-we-did-it/

[Post edited 1 Sep 2020 11:21]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:10 - Sep 2 with 1248 viewsdirk_doone

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:05 - Sep 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Just to recap, Soton are sitting in 65th position, and around teams like Bristol Rovers and Leyton Orient.

Meanwhile, Little Pompey are in the top 20, and sit above teams like Forest, WBA, Leicester, and sit with teams like Burnley, Preston, Derby and Spurs. Who'd have though we would be so high, and over 45 places above Soton?

And then there's the reality which you find so hard to face, which amazingly doesn't take account of fourth division titles:

Talksport give a very balanced, objective view, taking a range of criteria into account:

https://talksport.com/football/320299/top-30-biggest-football-clubs-britain-30-n

An alternative list from 1Sports1, also taking a range of criteria into account:

[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 12:11]

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:16 - Sep 2 with 1232 viewsChesham_Saint

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:10 - Sep 2 by dirk_doone

And then there's the reality which you find so hard to face, which amazingly doesn't take account of fourth division titles:

[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 12:11]

Taking account of 4th division titles is like penalising Arsenal for never having won the French Cup. What kind of gormless pillock would ever do that..?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:18 - Sep 2 with 1224 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

The South Coast merit table : League championships

19th . Portsmouth
48th . Bournemouth
51st . Plymouth
52nd. Brighton
65th. Soton
Ungraded. Torquay

If SFC could win the Championship, they would leapfrog the other south coast teams, and get into the mid forties, and be sitting pretty in with Bury, Oxford and Oxford. Food for thought.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 12:19]

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:19 - Sep 2 with 1224 viewsdirk_doone

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:16 - Sep 2 by Chesham_Saint

Taking account of 4th division titles is like penalising Arsenal for never having won the French Cup. What kind of gormless pillock would ever do that..?

There's only one quite that deluded in the whole world: our very own pet Little Pompey fan: Worzel 130.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:24 - Sep 2 with 1210 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:19 - Sep 2 by dirk_doone

There's only one quite that deluded in the whole world: our very own pet Little Pompey fan: Worzel 130.

I'm going to re-arrange the table for total league championships, which will then take away for the bias for little clubs like Pompey winning the big league. It could be interesting.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:30 - Sep 2 with 1207 viewsdirk_doone

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:24 - Sep 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I'm going to re-arrange the table for total league championships, which will then take away for the bias for little clubs like Pompey winning the big league. It could be interesting.

Thank you for that insight into the workings of the mind of a lunatic. Now, go away and rearrange your silly lists as much as you like. They still won't hide the fact that lower league Little Pompey are totally overshadowed by Premier League Southampton, as was confirmed when we beat you 4-0 at Fratton in the last derby game. Let's hope we get drawn against each other again this season so we can rub it in a bit more.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 12:30]

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:38 - Sep 2 with 1189 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:30 - Sep 2 by dirk_doone

Thank you for that insight into the workings of the mind of a lunatic. Now, go away and rearrange your silly lists as much as you like. They still won't hide the fact that lower league Little Pompey are totally overshadowed by Premier League Southampton, as was confirmed when we beat you 4-0 at Fratton in the last derby game. Let's hope we get drawn against each other again this season so we can rub it in a bit more.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 12:30]

Just re-arranged the list for total league Championships. Unfortunately, whatever I do, little Pompey still seem to be in the top twenty, and SFC are in the sixties. You can't say I didn't try to make your club look better.

South Coast Merit Table : Total league championships

18th ... 7 ... Little Pompey
32nd ... 5 ... Plymouth
33rd ... 5 ... Brighton
64th ... 2 ... Bournemouth
67th ... 2 ... Soton
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 12:39]

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:58 - Sep 2 with 1176 views1885_SFC

Go easy on 130. He suffers from micropenis - poor lad.

Old School is Cool

Login to get fewer ads

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:02 - Sep 2 with 1169 viewsSaintNick

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:38 - Sep 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Just re-arranged the list for total league Championships. Unfortunately, whatever I do, little Pompey still seem to be in the top twenty, and SFC are in the sixties. You can't say I didn't try to make your club look better.

32nd ... 5 ... Plymouth
33rd ... 5 ... Brighton
67th ... 2 ... Soton

If we take your method this means that Pompey, Plymouth & Brighton are all bigger clubs than Tottenham Hotspur who have a mere 4 title wins to their name.

This perhaps shows the levels of desperation and straws you are clutching at to try and prove a point.

I havent bothered much with its argument as ultimately the Pompey Logic will kick in which consists of 3 facts that are irrefutable and will be quoted at us at the end of the thread

1. Saints have never had a firm

2.Saints have always been in our shadow

3. We dont care what the Scummers do

There is a fourth one that is starting to take hold that we stole their food

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:04 - Sep 2 with 1162 viewsBuggalugs

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:38 - Sep 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

32nd ... 5 ... Plymouth
33rd ... 5 ... Brighton
67th ... 2 ... Soton

Can we have the full table please. I want to see if we're bigger and better than Mansfield and Scunthorpe.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:15 - Sep 2 with 1153 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:02 - Sep 2 by SaintNick

If we take your method this means that Pompey, Plymouth & Brighton are all bigger clubs than Tottenham Hotspur who have a mere 4 title wins to their name.

This perhaps shows the levels of desperation and straws you are clutching at to try and prove a point.

I havent bothered much with its argument as ultimately the Pompey Logic will kick in which consists of 3 facts that are irrefutable and will be quoted at us at the end of the thread

1. Saints have never had a firm

2.Saints have always been in our shadow

3. We dont care what the Scummers do

There is a fourth one that is starting to take hold that we stole their food

As previously explained Nick, I was trying to organise it so Little Pompey lived up to their name, but couldn't achieve it.

I think the previous table is more realistic, although obviously Spurs still suffer as they haven't won many league championships. Your club never seem to do well in these tables either, which is why I think your fans hold onto recent attendances and twitter followers, and why not?

1. I think most fans round the country have heard of your 2 well known firms.
2. Soton were clearly the biggest and bestus team from the 70's to 2005.
3. Real football fans always keep an eye on their rivals, don't be so silly.
4. Now that is a bit silly

One fact that can never de denied is that your club won the cup in 76, has the heaviest ever top flight home defeat, and had the funniest ever football statue for a season or two.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:16 - Sep 2 with 1153 viewsPaleRider

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:15 - Sep 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

As previously explained Nick, I was trying to organise it so Little Pompey lived up to their name, but couldn't achieve it.

I think the previous table is more realistic, although obviously Spurs still suffer as they haven't won many league championships. Your club never seem to do well in these tables either, which is why I think your fans hold onto recent attendances and twitter followers, and why not?

One fact that can never de denied is that your club won the cup in 76, has the heaviest ever top flight home defeat, and had the funniest ever football statue for a season or two.

"People with Asperger’s Syndrome may appear “odd” or “weird” at times or be considered to have an eccentric personality. They can usually engage in tasks, sometimes mundane ones, for hours and hours, appear to be “in their own world”, preoccupied with their own agendas, or have unusual preoccupations. They may display an idiosyncratic attachment to inanimate objects, and/or collect things. Autistic individuals can be extremely literal-minded, taking what you say completely literally, and have difficulty understanding and applying metaphoric language and idioms. They can be single-minded with limited interests–intensely focusing on one or two subjects, and having very rigid likes and dislikes.A higher than average I.Q. is commonly seen in people with Asperger’s Syndrome who tend to be highly gifted in one or more areas (e.g. maths, music. etc.). They can spend hours in the library researching, have excellent rote memories, and love learning and collecting new information. Despite a high level of intelligence, they may have difficulty staying in college."

Just saying
Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:19 - Sep 2 with 1151 viewsChesham_Saint

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:16 - Sep 2 by PaleRider

"People with Asperger’s Syndrome may appear “odd” or “weird” at times or be considered to have an eccentric personality. They can usually engage in tasks, sometimes mundane ones, for hours and hours, appear to be “in their own world”, preoccupied with their own agendas, or have unusual preoccupations. They may display an idiosyncratic attachment to inanimate objects, and/or collect things. Autistic individuals can be extremely literal-minded, taking what you say completely literally, and have difficulty understanding and applying metaphoric language and idioms. They can be single-minded with limited interests–intensely focusing on one or two subjects, and having very rigid likes and dislikes.A higher than average I.Q. is commonly seen in people with Asperger’s Syndrome who tend to be highly gifted in one or more areas (e.g. maths, music. etc.). They can spend hours in the library researching, have excellent rote memories, and love learning and collecting new information. Despite a high level of intelligence, they may have difficulty staying in college."

Just saying

In short, can you imagine this fvckwit actually phoning into Talk Sport trying to argue little pompey's case? Now that would be comedy gold.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:23 - Sep 2 with 1149 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:16 - Sep 2 by PaleRider

Just saying

[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 15:18]

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:26 - Sep 2 with 1145 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:19 - Sep 2 by Chesham_Saint

In short, can you imagine this fvckwit actually phoning into Talk Sport trying to argue little pompey's case? Now that would be comedy gold.

The fact that you actually listen to Talks Sport says a lot about your intellect
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 13:28]

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:31 - Sep 2 with 1141 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:06 - Sep 2 by Butty101

Ah I see you are on the run and gone into random irrelevant posting mode.

Game set and match

"we are one of the dozen biggest clubs in the country”.

You don't get much more random than that. The hilarious thing is that half of your fans probably believe it

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:39 - Sep 2 with 1136 viewsdirk_doone

Just saying

You've nailed it. That's Worzel 130 to a T.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:51 - Sep 2 with 1125 viewsButty101

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:31 - Sep 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

You don't get much more random than that. The hilarious thing is that half of your fans probably believe it

You are a man for a list. So tell me 12 English clubs that could sign Danny Ings from us

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 14:09 - Sep 2 with 1120 viewsdirk_doone

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:51 - Sep 2 by Butty101

You are a man for a list. So tell me 12 English clubs that could sign Danny Ings from us

He could probably get 7 out of this list. Beyond that he'd be stretching the realms of credibility, which he always does anyway:

He finds it hard to accept just how much bigger than Little Pompey, Saints are now. How many clubs could take Little Pompey's star player away from them, whoever he is? Probably, at least 40.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 14:15]

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 14:37 - Sep 2 with 1083 viewsBison

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:31 - Sep 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 14:45 - Sep 2 with 1079 viewsBison

Just saying

130's reply to you Scummer !

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 14:55 - Sep 2 with 1068 viewsSaintNick

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:15 - Sep 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

To reply to your points

1. This sort of thing is only of interest to Millwall and yourselves plus those under 14 at some clubs.

2. We were actually the biggest and bestus from 1885 -1922 and then again from 1960-2005 and 2011 onwards

3.It is your fans who keep claiming this not me

4. See recent COPA 90 documentary for the claim that you call us scummers because we stole your food

PS we had the statue up for about a week , it was about the time when the funniest ever fake sheik appeared

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 15:04 - Sep 2 with 1059 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 14:55 - Sep 2 by SaintNick

To reply to your points

1. This sort of thing is only of interest to Millwall and yourselves plus those under 14 at some clubs.

2. We were actually the biggest and bestus from 1885 -1922 and then again from 1960-2005 and 2011 onwards

3.It is your fans who keep claiming this not me

4. See recent COPA 90 documentary for the claim that you call us scummers because we stole your food

PS we had the statue up for about a week , it was about the time when the funniest ever fake sheik appeared

1885 -1922 ????? , then 1960 - 2005 ??????

1907 to 1966 mmmmh. Can't see the Soton being any bigger in these years tbh.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 16:14]

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 15:20 - Sep 2 with 1035 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:51 - Sep 2 by Butty101

So when we sold Diarra to Real Madrid, and there were only 4/5 clubs in the world who could have bought him, were we a truly massive club?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 15:23 - Sep 2 with 1031 viewsPatfromPoole

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 15:20 - Sep 2 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

So when we sold Diarra to Real Madrid, and there were only 4/5 clubs in the world who could have bought him, were we a truly massive club?

No, you were a truly skint club.

If you had been a big club, you would have been able to afford to keep him.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024