Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC - time to make them subscription based? 16:48 - Sep 15 with 5778 viewsBazza

A casual glance at the BBC richest salaries shows a complete disregard for their pledge to cut costs. 15 to 30% increases are commonplace. The latest table also excludes incomes from BBC Studios, their commercial business so Doctor Who excluded. Half the top ten are radio presenters! Lineker has a new 5 year contract (why the heck) still the highest, though with a 20% pay cut. The new head honcho Tim Davie has got a big task ahead.

In my whole career I've never seen such increases other than for rare generous promotions up to seriously senior roles with extensive responsibilities.

Shame on the Beeb, no wonder people over 75 now have to pay for their licenses.

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 12:45 - Sep 16 with 1050 viewsfranniesTache

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 12:40 - Sep 16 by Wints76

The time has probably come that the Beeb will end up being a subscription service, but I do think it offers me value for money for what I pay. 6Music seems to have been tailor made for my age group, the dramas and documentaries it produdes are still the envy of the world (though other big budget companies are catching up) and the website and educational areas are excellent. My eldest used to struggle with his maths and the BBC education site was exceptional.

I am reading a book about Public Services at the moment by Stuart Maconie (a lot more interesting than it sounds, he is one of the good guys), and he states that many commercial radio and television companies may not want adverts on the beeb as they may see their own revenue streams vastly diluted as their advertisers have to choose where to advertise.

I think if the Conservatives have as strong a majority after the next election, it may well happen.

The point about the educational side is a great one, it's those kind of services that'll be the first to be cut if the BBC stops being a publicly funded organisation since there's no real market value in that kind of thing.

Ironically i think the solution is exactly what people complain about, quite literally turning it into a tax, but a means tested one. One of the issues i think that happens now with the BBC is that people get charged the same no matter their financial status, and £157 for someone working a zero hour contract is very, very different to £157 for someone like me.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 12:51 - Sep 16 with 1037 viewsChesham_Saint

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 11:01 - Sep 16 by Sadoldgit

I understand that, but given the huge amount of money we spend on it, it makes it even more ridiculous.

Zoe Ball is a small issue. The funding of the BBC a bigger one. Probably too big for Jounson and Cummings to decide, hence a national referendum.

There’s an argument to be made against all armed forces (but not one I subscribe to).

And you’re right it’s not just about Ball but virtually all of their ‘talent’ they pay ridiculous amounts to almost all do their front line faces. There are many, many millions to be saved there.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:09 - Sep 16 with 1023 viewsfranniesTache

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 12:51 - Sep 16 by Chesham_Saint

There’s an argument to be made against all armed forces (but not one I subscribe to).

And you’re right it’s not just about Ball but virtually all of their ‘talent’ they pay ridiculous amounts to almost all do their front line faces. There are many, many millions to be saved there.

The thing is those numbers might look crazy to most but that's the market rate, the same role at Sky or another private provider will be far higher, if the BBC cut the pay they simply won't get the talent and the quality of the service will get worse.

It's like saying Saints pay too much to their players, it's not a wrong statement but if we don't we'll be relegated.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:12 - Sep 16 with 1020 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 12:35 - Sep 16 by franniesTache

Having lived in other countries i'd protect the BBC with my last breath, it's an exceptional institution, it provides content that is peerless in the world, across multiple channels (media channels not tv channels) and drives innovation in this country and worldwide.

For £157(ish) a year we get all of the tv services, we get all the radio services, we get a plethora of digital services, we get funding of new drama, film and documentary, and sports coverage that goes well beyond just football.

Plus it provides huge amounts of jobs across the country due to it's local content teams and the production hubs in manchester and london.

Does the BBC produce stuff i don't like? Absolutely.
Do i think some of the TV output has got worse in recent times? Without a shadow of a doubt.
Do i think it is a standard barer for quality across the world and work as some of the best marketing of the UK we have? 100%

Many of us might not think it now but i guarantee you if it went you'd miss it and the country would be a poorer place without it here.

If YOU like it, YOU pay for it, simple as that. I don't understand this crap about "protecting the BBC" - it will still be there, for people who want to pay for it. Pay for the services you like and use, they'll still exist.

For me, if I can save £150ish a year and spend elsewhere, I will. That should be MY choice for a f**king entertainment service that is not essential.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:20 - Sep 16 with 1016 viewsfranniesTache

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:12 - Sep 16 by Gennaro_Contaldo

If YOU like it, YOU pay for it, simple as that. I don't understand this crap about "protecting the BBC" - it will still be there, for people who want to pay for it. Pay for the services you like and use, they'll still exist.

For me, if I can save £150ish a year and spend elsewhere, I will. That should be MY choice for a f**king entertainment service that is not essential.

i get your position mate, and i understand where you're coming from, the problem is i think most people won't pay for it (novelty of not paying will play a part), then it'll be degraded by lack of funds and less and less people will see the value, so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

As we've seen with various other nationalised industries that have gone private it'll probably lead to something worse for all of us sadly.

I know i won't change your mind, or the minds of many others, but i personally think it's something we should be unbelievably proud of as a nation and i'd hate to lose it.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:35 - Sep 16 with 1002 viewsChesham_Saint

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:09 - Sep 16 by franniesTache

The thing is those numbers might look crazy to most but that's the market rate, the same role at Sky or another private provider will be far higher, if the BBC cut the pay they simply won't get the talent and the quality of the service will get worse.

It's like saying Saints pay too much to their players, it's not a wrong statement but if we don't we'll be relegated.

Sorry, it’s not the “market rate” at all. The market rate applies to the likes of Sky and BT.

The BBC is funded directly by the tax payer and is a public service. Those other outlets are not.

I agree market forces should broadly apply however. IF the BBC paid the chief presenter of MOTD say £200k and Lineker and co all jumped ship to Sky as a result, so what? As I said earlier there is a vast pool 0f replacement talent.

FFS, isn’t there something like 80% of actors out of work at anyone time? The BBC should be nurturing new talent not paying huge premium salaries to their chosen favourites.

The BBC is not like any other media player and as such their staff should not be expected to be treated the same as those at Sky etc.

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:42 - Sep 16 with 993 viewsJaySaint

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:20 - Sep 16 by franniesTache

i get your position mate, and i understand where you're coming from, the problem is i think most people won't pay for it (novelty of not paying will play a part), then it'll be degraded by lack of funds and less and less people will see the value, so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

As we've seen with various other nationalised industries that have gone private it'll probably lead to something worse for all of us sadly.

I know i won't change your mind, or the minds of many others, but i personally think it's something we should be unbelievably proud of as a nation and i'd hate to lose it.

if most people wont pay for it. That is the problem with the BBC.

obviously, miles from being a viable product

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:53 - Sep 16 with 978 viewsfranniesTache

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:42 - Sep 16 by JaySaint

It's a funny one, if you launched the BBC as it is now to the market as a premium service - assuming hypothetically it hadn't existed before - it would be snapped up by virtually everyone and be by far the best thing around.

Unfortunately instead you have a service that's been attacked for decades by a press owned by the likes of Murdoch who have a vested interest in destroying it's legacy.

So the general public have been primed to think it's bad, now if you take a populace/market that's been primed, then create an optional cost model on the product, irregardless of the actual quality the majority won't pay for it.

We've been manipulated for years to ready us for the moment it does go to a subscription service, and it will i'm sure go that way, with the aim of making sure it fails.

It's a shame really that more people aren't taught the techniques that are used to manipulate us like this, because if they were they'd see straight through it.
Login to get fewer ads

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:54 - Sep 16 with 975 viewsSadoldgit

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:42 - Sep 16 by JaySaint

Of course the BBC compete with other broadcasting companies for talent. People don’t expect the BBC to produce cheap shows using cheap production staff. You may never watch or listen to BBC programmes but they compete and are usually better than the competition. That is because it is a quality driven organisation.
If it is such a contentious issue, what is the problem with letting the people decided?
I doubt if there is a single person here who has never seen or listened to anything produced by the BBC.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 14:08 - Sep 16 with 967 viewsDorsetIan

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:53 - Sep 16 by franniesTache

It's a funny one, if you launched the BBC as it is now to the market as a premium service - assuming hypothetically it hadn't existed before - it would be snapped up by virtually everyone and be by far the best thing around.

Unfortunately instead you have a service that's been attacked for decades by a press owned by the likes of Murdoch who have a vested interest in destroying it's legacy.

So the general public have been primed to think it's bad, now if you take a populace/market that's been primed, then create an optional cost model on the product, irregardless of the actual quality the majority won't pay for it.

We've been manipulated for years to ready us for the moment it does go to a subscription service, and it will i'm sure go that way, with the aim of making sure it fails.

It's a shame really that more people aren't taught the techniques that are used to manipulate us like this, because if they were they'd see straight through it.

Isn't it the case that when they started Netflix bought rights to a whole load of historical BBC content. So that, in effect, they have been building their own business partly off the back of previous BBC quality drama, comedy etc.

I think I read that all that was on the basis of limited duration so that a lot will be coming back into BBC control soon.

There is plenty of sh!t on the BBC but the level of outstanding creative output over the years is extraordinary.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 14:29 - Sep 16 with 951 viewskernow

The BBC is good value for money.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 14:29 - Sep 16 with 947 viewshedgeend61

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 11:16 - Sep 16 by geezershoong1

'You may not think that Gary Lineker is a top sports presenter but they clearly do'.

That's part of the problem right there.

The BBC have announced that Gary Lineker has taken a 25% reduction.

Now he's just a Cun.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 14:40 - Sep 16 with 932 viewsSadoldgit

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 14:08 - Sep 16 by DorsetIan

Isn't it the case that when they started Netflix bought rights to a whole load of historical BBC content. So that, in effect, they have been building their own business partly off the back of previous BBC quality drama, comedy etc.

I think I read that all that was on the basis of limited duration so that a lot will be coming back into BBC control soon.

There is plenty of sh!t on the BBC but the level of outstanding creative output over the years is extraordinary.

Therein lies the problem, it will never please all of the people all of the time, but there is something for everyone and, as you say, the quality of many of their programmes stretches back for decades.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 15:40 - Sep 16 with 912 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:20 - Sep 16 by franniesTache

I'd rather debate over a pint with you, but whatever.

All I'll say is look at Britbox sign up vs Disney+

Look at what the people want. The problem is with the content.

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 15:54 - Sep 16 with 904 viewsfranniesTache

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 15:40 - Sep 16 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I'd rather debate over a pint with you, but whatever.

All I'll say is look at Britbox sign up vs Disney+

Look at what the people want. The problem is with the content.

You could well be right mate, it might be me being heavily nostalgic (or naive?) but I'd say i'll use far more content on the beeb than disney+, mind you i doubt many nippers want to listen to a five day test on the radio like i do
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 15:57 - Sep 16 with 900 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 15:54 - Sep 16 by franniesTache

You could well be right mate, it might be me being heavily nostalgic (or naive?) but I'd say i'll use far more content on the beeb than disney+, mind you i doubt many nippers want to listen to a five day test on the radio like i do

hahaha ... I've been loving Disney+ too, so it's not just my son!

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 16:34 - Sep 16 with 880 viewsBerber

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 06:19 - Sep 16 by JaySaint

Were you forced to eat in the pub...were you faced with legal action if you did not eat in the pub?

I don't know the answer but I do wonder if (like Zoe Ball) a DJ in the private sector would be awarded a £1,000,000 annual pay rise whilst losing circa 1m listeners?
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 6:25]

But you don't have to watch TV either using that argument.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 17:25 - Sep 16 with 864 viewsBazza

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 16:34 - Sep 16 by Berber

How can anyone in BBC justify a £1m , 300% pay increase? That is simply very poor management particularly when they have complained of funding limitations.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 17:57 - Sep 16 with 852 viewsbattler

Interesting to see that that majority of posters supporting the licence are left leaning and the majority wanting it stopped are right leaning.

Whilst there is/has been undoubtedly some excellent programmes created/produced by the BBC I must admit I dont watch nowhere as much on the BBC as I used to.

Each to their own but I haven't felt the need to listen to a BBC radio station for well over 20 years I reckon, Planet Rock or Radio X will do for me. I wonder what the listening figures are for each of their 6 national stations plus all their local ones.

For that reason alone I do begrudge paying for something I dont ever use anymore and some of the headline salaries I dont agree with but overall I think its still worth it...Just.

I will just gather splinters for this topic.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 18:34 - Sep 16 with 837 viewsfranniesTache

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 17:25 - Sep 16 by Bazza

How can anyone in BBC justify a £1m , 300% pay increase? That is simply very poor management particularly when they have complained of funding limitations.

i don't get how anyone in any industry can justify that salary to be honest, including footballers, but that's the going rate for talent these days
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 18:36 - Sep 16 with 836 viewsSadoldgit

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 17:57 - Sep 16 by battler

Interesting to see that that majority of posters supporting the licence are left leaning and the majority wanting it stopped are right leaning.

Whilst there is/has been undoubtedly some excellent programmes created/produced by the BBC I must admit I dont watch nowhere as much on the BBC as I used to.

Each to their own but I haven't felt the need to listen to a BBC radio station for well over 20 years I reckon, Planet Rock or Radio X will do for me. I wonder what the listening figures are for each of their 6 national stations plus all their local ones.

For that reason alone I do begrudge paying for something I dont ever use anymore and some of the headline salaries I dont agree with but overall I think its still worth it...Just.

I will just gather splinters for this topic.

I’ve never thought about the BBC as a political animal, although it does feature heavily on social issues (something I would expect from a public owned station anyway). I just think that the BBC produces high quality programming. The vast majority of programmes we watch have little of nothing to do with politics.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 18:44 - Sep 16 with 833 viewsfranniesTache

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 18:36 - Sep 16 by Sadoldgit

I’ve never thought about the BBC as a political animal, although it does feature heavily on social issues (something I would expect from a public owned station anyway). I just think that the BBC produces high quality programming. The vast majority of programmes we watch have little of nothing to do with politics.

The BBC wasn't a political battleground until Murdoch decided he wanted to get into TV, then he used his fairly considerable influence to turn it into a culture war.

The common perception of the BBC, based on facts, is that it tends to favour the government of the time mostly, which makes sense as they're responsible for it's funding.

Much like coronavirus i don't see it as a political thing, i do get where some come from about wanting a choice but my siding at least is based on wanting to protect an institution that raises this countries profile in the world.

I'm sure there's a quote somewhere - i can't remember from who - that said the BBC has done more for Britains "soft power" in the world than nearly anything else
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 19:33 - Sep 16 with 817 viewsBazza

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 18:44 - Sep 16 by franniesTache

The BBC wasn't a political battleground until Murdoch decided he wanted to get into TV, then he used his fairly considerable influence to turn it into a culture war.

The common perception of the BBC, based on facts, is that it tends to favour the government of the time mostly, which makes sense as they're responsible for it's funding.

Much like coronavirus i don't see it as a political thing, i do get where some come from about wanting a choice but my siding at least is based on wanting to protect an institution that raises this countries profile in the world.

I'm sure there's a quote somewhere - i can't remember from who - that said the BBC has done more for Britains "soft power" in the world than nearly anything else

Think maybe BBC’s best days of influence and quality may be well in the past. I think they are trying to pick up more youngsters and minorities ( moving left politically) but they are all online and necessarily iplayer
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 19:43 - Sep 16 with 805 viewsJaySaint

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 16:34 - Sep 16 by Berber

I should be able to watch TV (Sky, ITV) without being forced to pay the license fee

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 13:41 - Sep 17 with 748 viewsChesham_Saint

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 19:43 - Sep 16 by JaySaint

I should be able to watch TV (Sky, ITV) without being forced to pay the license fee

You can. You don’t need a licence if you don’t watch BBC live (and it’s various other bits). I’ve just cancelled a licence on a property for just that reason (mind you it took a lot of effort to cancel the thing and even more to get the advance payments I’d made back).

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024