Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Early days but 21:56 - Oct 25 with 4422 viewskingslandstand1

Just looked at the league table and of the "big six" there's only one of them in the top 8!!

Ok,that could (will) change with game in hand etc, but does it not show why the Prem is the best league in the world for competition
Early days but on 11:38 - Oct 26 with 1662 viewssaint22

Early days but on 09:57 - Oct 26 by Gennaro_Contaldo

You know what will happen.

Saints will "do a Leicester" and sit clearly at the top in Jan/Feb or something. Then we'll have a national lockdown and sport will be banned again, but there will be SO many people with Coronavirus that this season they'll decide to cancel the league instead of restarting it.

Next season Saints will be therefore be 18th and dreadful. Mark Hughes will come back to steady the ship and take the club to 16th.

We are Saints, you just know it ...

Early days but on 11:49 - Oct 26 with 1646 viewsSadoldgit

When things click we look a good side. The trouble is that we are also capable of being rubbish. The Brentford debacle and the second half against Spurs spring to mind. There is still a very long way to go, but if we put in more performances like yesterday we have every reason to feel optimistic for a decent finish this season.
Early days but on 12:22 - Oct 26 with 1637 viewsJaySaint

Early days but on 11:49 - Oct 26 by Sadoldgit

When things click we look a good side. The trouble is that we are also capable of being rubbish. The Brentford debacle and the second half against Spurs spring to mind. There is still a very long way to go, but if we put in more performances like yesterday we have every reason to feel optimistic for a decent finish this season.

I think people (rightly) feel more optimistic as the areas we needed 'competition' for, we have brought players in. Daillo and Salisu. Reamains to be seen if they are any good but this is not Wilson and co doing the business

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Early days but on 12:25 - Oct 26 with 1632 viewsTimSaint

Early days but on 11:49 - Oct 26 by Sadoldgit

Agreed, but I also think that difference has been that all of our players played well together yesterday and in some of the recent games.

Usually we have at least one or two players that are not quite up to the levels of their team mates, or are having an off day and the team's overall performance suffers as a result of them being carried.

RH's training regime and renewed competition for places, seems to be keeping everyone performing well so far.

Perhaps that Spurs defeat has acted as the catalyst for this season, like the 9-0 did last season.

TimSaint

Early days but on 13:20 - Oct 26 with 1595 viewsNumber_58

This thread is hilarious. Take a look at some of the threads and posts after the Spurs game a few weeks ago when many on here were saying how sh*te we were, how useless the manager was, and how we'd be in a relegation fight. Now, with the same manager and virtually the same players we're on our way to Europe apparently. Make your minds up people.
Early days but on 14:52 - Oct 26 with 1563 viewskingslandstand1

Early days but on 13:20 - Oct 26 by Number_58

This thread is hilarious. Take a look at some of the threads and posts after the Spurs game a few weeks ago when many on here were saying how sh*te we were, how useless the manager was, and how we'd be in a relegation fight. Now, with the same manager and virtually the same players we're on our way to Europe apparently. Make your minds up people.

As the OP it has been interesting to see the way it has progressed. My original point is whether the Prem actually does have a big six, noting the current league table and that actually they may not find it as easy as they brlieve it should be
Things are bound to change and look more familiar as the months go by, but we are playing good football right now and on this form I'd like to think top 8, but the main thing is that there are a lot of teams vying for those places now
But also what's wrong with a bit of optimism? I mean I heard a Leeds fan this morning saying they are def going to be contenders ! He was a nominee for Numpty of the week though
Early days but on 16:44 - Oct 26 with 1538 viewsA1079

Early days but on 13:20 - Oct 26 by Number_58

This is the nature of fans of many clubs Number 58 - you lose a game and the world falls apart, win one and you are potential league winners. I would love us to challenge the best and give them a fright but I know we are just as capable of having a bad run. For me, it is about taking each step and the first step for me is 40 points ideally as quickly as possible and then push on and see where it takes us.
Early days but on 17:22 - Oct 26 with 1526 viewsBerber

Early days but on 23:17 - Oct 25 by dirk_doone

The difference is that we are 6th in the league and dreaming of what we might achieve while Little Pompey are 49th and still dreaming.

As I said, we could fall flat on our faces and end up 14th but, when there is a chance to dream, grasp it. Seasons like this don't come up often in a lifetime.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 9:47]

I'd take a guaranteed 14th this season.
Login to get fewer ads

Early days but on 14:47 - Nov 1 with 1434 viewsdirk_doone

Early days but on 23:44 - Oct 25 by Saintsforeverj

You heard it here first. Southampton to win the league.

Still a long way to go but on results we are one of the top 3 teams since the restart last season. We'll need to be very lucky avoiding injuries to keep it up so let's hope none of the ones we picked up today are too serious.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Early days but on 15:01 - Nov 1 with 1394 viewsSaintsforeverj

Early days but on 14:47 - Nov 1 by dirk_doone

Still a long way to go but on results we are one of the top 3 teams since the restart last season. We'll need to be very lucky avoiding injuries to keep it up so let's hope none of the ones we picked up today are too serious.

Injuries are key and luck. Momentum and excitement can keep a team flying, like it did for Leicester, but we just don't get the luck do we. Ings is going for a scan and obviously it would be a big loss to lose him. But beat Newcastle and we will probably be top of the premier league.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Early days but on 15:07 - Nov 1 with 1387 viewsdirk_doone

Early days but on 07:40 - Oct 26 by dirk_doone

Our form since the restart last season:

P 15 W 8 D 4 L 3

Over a whole season that would leave us with 71 points, which would usually be good enough for a top 4 place. William Hill have us at 20/1 for a top 4 finish this season, which are realistic odds. As for actually winning the league I have to admit, at this stage, it looks far more likely to be Spurs, especially after their big win against us. But, we are not completely out of the frame yet.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2020 7:42]

Make that:

P 16 W 9 D4 L3

31 points from 16 games, which, over a season, would usually be be good enough form for a top 3 finish.

Early days but on 15:12 - Nov 1 with 1373 viewsBicester_North

Early days but on 15:01 - Nov 1 by Saintsforeverj

Injuries are key and luck. Momentum and excitement can keep a team flying, like it did for Leicester, but we just don't get the luck do we. Ings is going for a scan and obviously it would be a big loss to lose him. But beat Newcastle and we will probably be top of the premier league.

We don’t get the luck with injuries to key players at key times. Mark Wrights injury in 86 when we could’ve won the cup, VVD in 2017 we could’ve won the cup are 2 that spring to mind.

Hopefully Ings not out for too long in a season where we have a great chance of finishing right up there.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Early days but on 15:48 - Nov 1 with 1348 viewsdirk_doone

1 more goal for Newcastle, and we'll move up from 3rd to 2nd= with an identical goal difference with Everton.

Early days but on 10:32 - Nov 2 with 1253 viewsdirk_doone

Early days but on 09:57 - Oct 26 by Gennaro_Contaldo

You know what will happen.

Saints will "do a Leicester" and sit clearly at the top in Jan/Feb or something. Then we'll have a national lockdown and sport will be banned again, but there will be SO many people with Coronavirus that this season they'll decide to cancel the league instead of restarting it.

Next season Saints will be therefore be 18th and dreadful. Mark Hughes will come back to steady the ship and take the club to 16th.

We are Saints, you just know it ...

You could be right, Gennaro. If the big clubs are not happy with the way their season is going, they could demand a lockdown.

You can be sure he wouldn't be saying this if they were top of the league:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pep-guardiola-hints-second-premier-
[Post edited 2 Nov 2020 10:35]

Early days but on 11:16 - Nov 2 with 1227 viewsButty101

Early days but on 10:32 - Nov 2 by dirk_doone

You could be right, Gennaro. If the big clubs are not happy with the way their season is going, they could demand a lockdown.

You can be sure he wouldn't be saying this if they were top of the league:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/pep-guardiola-hints-second-premier-
[Post edited 2 Nov 2020 10:35]

If the season must be ended, lets end it after the game on friday and take that as the final table. It would be a hollow win but one i would take :-)

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Early days but on 23:29 - Nov 6 with 1146 viewsdirk_doone

Early days but on 23:44 - Oct 25 by Saintsforeverj

You heard it here first. Southampton to win the league.

Now we're top of the league.

Early days but on 23:34 - Nov 6 with 1137 viewsSaintsforeverj

Early days but on 23:29 - Nov 6 by dirk_doone

Now we're top of the league.

Oh yes and absolutely love it. Wish we could be there though to celebrate. But who knows if the fans were there, the edginess of the crowd might have meant we weren't top so I will take it.

Early days but on 23:55 - Nov 6 with 1115 viewsdirk_doone

Early days but on 23:34 - Nov 6 by Saintsforeverj

Oh yes and absolutely love it. Wish we could be there though to celebrate. But who knows if the fans were there, the edginess of the crowd might have meant we weren't top so I will take it.

Even Ralph is starting to believe "anything is possible" with this "strong team".

Early days but on 00:04 - Nov 7 with 1106 viewsSaintsforeverj

Early days but on 23:55 - Nov 6 by dirk_doone

Even Ralph is starting to believe "anything is possible" with this "strong team".

How would we celebrate the title though, or even champions league football if we aren't allowed in the stadium?

Early days but on 08:20 - Nov 7 with 1035 viewsChesham_Saint

Early days but on 00:04 - Nov 7 by Saintsforeverj

How would we celebrate the title though, or even champions league football if we aren't allowed in the stadium?

Somehow, that’s not really going to be an issue I’m afraid...

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Early days but on 08:47 - Nov 7 with 1014 viewskernow

I'm just enjoying the ride.😃
Early days but on 23:05 - Nov 9 with 948 viewsdirk_doone

https://tbrfootball.com/tony-cascarino-makes-aston-villa-and-southampton-claim/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/spurs-look-strong-and-chelsea-have-solv
[Post edited 9 Nov 2020 23:07]

Early days but on 19:15 - Dec 13 with 826 viewsdirk_doone

I'm going to predict that after watching our game on MOTD2 tonight, Gary Lineker is going to ask the question, "They couldn't, could they?" And by that he won't just mean top 4.

Edit: Pity Leicester won 3-0 as well. I think they'll be the focus of Lineker's attention now
[Post edited 13 Dec 2020 21:22]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024