Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Millwall fans racist surprise! 17:26 - Dec 5 with 4969 viewsSadoldgit

Well, not really a surprise. Apparently they booed when their players took the knee today. If there was one club whose supporters you would expect to do this, my money would be in Millwall.
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 00:30 - Dec 6 with 1101 viewsSadoldgit

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 18:13 - Dec 5 by JaySaint

why are they racist?

Why are they booing? If we agree that racism has no place in a civilised society, why would you boo when your own team makes a gesture in support of that?
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 00:57 - Dec 6 with 1081 viewsChesham_Saint

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 00:30 - Dec 6 by Sadoldgit

Why are they booing? If we agree that racism has no place in a civilised society, why would you boo when your own team makes a gesture in support of that?

I gave a couple of reasons earlier why some people might choose to boo without them being racists.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 01:17 - Dec 6 with 1074 viewsBicester_North

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 00:30 - Dec 6 by Sadoldgit

Anti racism banners on the pitch before matches weren’t getting booed before the USA bandwagon jumping.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 07:38 - Dec 6 with 1036 viewssolent_toffee

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 18:28 - Dec 5 by Chesham_Saint

I’d say it’s in poor taste to boo players for doing something they regard as well meaning are (presumably) doing willingly. On the other hand....

BLM seems inextricably linked with which the whole Taking The Knee thing and many people a) don’t agree with certain of their policies (such as defunding the polizi) and; b) the almost patronising way it’s assumed the site of 22 highly paid, molly-coddled athletes virtue signalling will change any nazis watching into model citizens.

In short, I suspect those Millwall fans aren’t necessarily racist in this instance, just crass...

I think better understanding of what ‘defunding the police’ means.

I grew up in a very rough estate thirty years ago. We used to give the police the run around and crime was the norm, drugs, stolen goods, anti social behaviour. The police were sport and just made the estate more interesting, it was a game.

Thirty years on, the estate is even worse, crime is inherent, there are nightly dispersal orders on the estate. The local youngsters have worse, even less bothered about the police presence and more sophisticated in the run around they give the police who have more expensive methods in the most futile game of cat and mouse. The police helicopter is up virtually every night.

Something clearly needs to change. The current way of policing these estates is expensive and futile. I don’t like the word defund but reallocate funding towards something that might work such as proper hard hitting supportive youth work (not just table tennis and an orange squash), community work addressing local issues, training and links to employment. Reallocate money into proper police detective work.

It’s not just a BLM issue it’s a national issue.
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 07:47 - Dec 6 with 1035 viewssaint22

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 01:17 - Dec 6 by Bicester_North

Anti racism banners on the pitch before matches weren’t getting booed before the USA bandwagon jumping.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55168557

You don’t agree keep quiet, voicing your disapproval of people making a stand against racism says only one thing..........
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 08:14 - Dec 6 with 1029 viewsHeisenberg

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 07:47 - Dec 6 by saint22

You don’t agree keep quiet, voicing your disapproval of people making a stand against racism says only one thing..........

You are wasting your time. I bet none of the usual suspects are on here will boo taking the knee at St Mary's. Its just a vocal minority of out touch dinossuars spouting off on a football forum. The fight against racism isn't going anywhere and will just be reinforced because of the behaviour of a section of Milwall racists yesterday.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 09:15 - Dec 6 with 998 viewsBuenosSaint

It'll be interesting when one (or more) playerd first choose not to take the knee. Has it happened already?

I don't think they'll be that villified as it is freedom of choice.

Poll: The Long Future

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 09:23 - Dec 6 with 992 viewskernow

In my opinion anybody, particularly any high profile person in sport , or any other walk of life, who exercises their freedom of speech on a public forum sets themselves up to be challenged.
Particularly if their tweets, posts or soundbites are contentious and controversial they will justifiably be called out, criticised and/or sanctioned. They should have no complaints about that.
Those fans have every right to boo and shouldn't be surprised, and probably don"t even care, about being called racist. They need to be challenged and confronted though. They may even be banned but that should be a decision of Millwall FC.
Login to get fewer ads

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 09:26 - Dec 6 with 987 viewshedgeend61

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 09:15 - Dec 6 by BuenosSaint

It'll be interesting when one (or more) playerd first choose not to take the knee. Has it happened already?

I don't think they'll be that villified as it is freedom of choice.

Queens Park Rangers

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/21/why-qpr-have-stopped-taking-a-k

Think Les is right, Little more good than PR, about time all clubs scrapped it.
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 09:39 - Dec 6 with 972 viewsJaySaint

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 08:14 - Dec 6 by Heisenberg

You are wasting your time. I bet none of the usual suspects are on here will boo taking the knee at St Mary's. Its just a vocal minority of out touch dinossuars spouting off on a football forum. The fight against racism isn't going anywhere and will just be reinforced because of the behaviour of a section of Milwall racists yesterday.

They are so racist, they regularly cheer, applaud, laud their own players of BAME origin.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 10:26 - Dec 6 with 946 viewsNumber_58

If this protest against taking the knee had come from a group of supporters not tarnished by a very long history of racism, violence and bigotry then it perhaps might at least have had slightly more than zero credibility. Horrible club.
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 11:03 - Dec 6 with 925 viewsSaintNick

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 10:26 - Dec 6 by Number_58

If this protest against taking the knee had come from a group of supporters not tarnished by a very long history of racism, violence and bigotry then it perhaps might at least have had slightly more than zero credibility. Horrible club.

I agree Millwall are a horrible club to visit with a nasty set of fans, but they always had fans of different races, unlike West Ham who were a hotbed for racism back in the 70's & 80's Millwall was never a racist place, they did not discrimate on colour or race, they just hated anyone who wasn't Millwall

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 11:22 - Dec 6 with 909 viewsSaintsforeverj

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 07:38 - Dec 6 by solent_toffee

I grew up in a very rough estate thirty years ago. We used to give the police the run around and crime was the norm, drugs, stolen goods, anti social behaviour. The police were sport and just made the estate more interesting, it was a game.

Thirty years on, the estate is even worse, crime is inherent, there are nightly dispersal orders on the estate. The local youngsters have worse, even less bothered about the police presence and more sophisticated in the run around they give the police who have more expensive methods in the most futile game of cat and mouse. The police helicopter is up virtually every night.

Something clearly needs to change. The current way of policing these estates is expensive and futile. I don’t like the word defund but reallocate funding towards something that might work such as proper hard hitting supportive youth work (not just table tennis and an orange squash), community work addressing local issues, training and links to employment. Reallocate money into proper police detective work.

An interesting post imo. Yes black lives matter. But, there are desperate issues affecting others too, not just black people. And here is where the tensions arise. I suspect many of the Millwall fans live in a similar area to the area you described and some have sh@t lives. When you are oppressed, downtrodden and miserable, black or white, it probably causes a lot of tension, watching players stand on one knee just for black people.

The police need more funding (and reallocating as you put it), and there should be a much more robust stance. The official BLM group, calling for defunding, are way off the mark. Criminals are playing a game, basically taking the P, because they know they can. I have seen this too, in parts of Southampton, where youngsters are dragged up, there are no rules and it's just law of the jungle. There is absolutely no respect for police, teachers or anyone. And they also know, there is nothing there to help them, black or white. So the point is, black lives matter yes. But players going down on one knee in front of oppressed Millwall fans and others, won't make a blind bit of difference to changing their attitude. It will just cause division.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 11:24]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 11:33 - Dec 6 with 898 viewsKennington

Personally I don’t understand the kneeling thing. The American footballer that started it was kneeling with his back to the American flag, which does make sense in that context. Randomly kneeling anywhere doesn’t.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 11:41 - Dec 6 with 891 viewsSaintsforeverj

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 11:33 - Dec 6 by Kennington

Personally I don’t understand the kneeling thing. The American footballer that started it was kneeling with his back to the American flag, which does make sense in that context. Randomly kneeling anywhere doesn’t.

They could kneel, do a dance, twerk, skip or whatever. But the point is as I've said before, it won't make any difference! The racists will continue with their views, the non racists arn't racist anyway but have to waste time watching the players do a performance when all they want to do is watch the football! I mean how long are they going to do this performance for I wonder? Until the year 3000?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 11:43]

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 11:58 - Dec 6 with 872 viewsNumber_58

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 11:03 - Dec 6 by SaintNick

I agree Millwall are a horrible club to visit with a nasty set of fans, but they always had fans of different races, unlike West Ham who were a hotbed for racism back in the 70's & 80's Millwall was never a racist place, they did not discrimate on colour or race, they just hated anyone who wasn't Millwall

Wow, so all the anti-racism campaigns Millwall FC have launched over the years following numerous incidents of racism by Millwall supporters were all fake news? Incredible.
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 12:34 - Dec 6 with 854 viewsSadoldgit

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 09:39 - Dec 6 by JaySaint

They are so racist, they regularly cheer, applaud, laud their own players of BAME origin.

Not for the first time Jay you totally miss the point.
For a start, how do you know ALL Milwall fans support and cheer for their BAME players? Even if they do, it doesn’t exonerate them racially abusing BAME players from other clubs. How do you think the BAME players at Millwall felt when the booing started when they were showing their support for Black Lives Matter? Do you think that they felt supported by their own fans?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 12:46]
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 12:38 - Dec 6 with 852 viewsBicester_North

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 07:47 - Dec 6 by saint22

Meanwhile you gentrifiers push poor people and people of colour out of areas they have a right to live in.
The pollution you create with your unnecessary air travel for 5 minute meetings hits the world’s poor hardest, most of whom happen to be African. It’s a sick disregard you have Lauren, very sick indeed.

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 12:40 - Dec 6 with 850 viewsBicester_North

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 08:14 - Dec 6 by Heisenberg

Keep copying the USA pious student Grant!
There was no fight against racism in the UK before millionaires started taking the knee every week, after all.

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 12:58 - Dec 6 with 840 viewsChesham_Saint

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 12:34 - Dec 6 by Sadoldgit

Not for the first time Jay you totally miss the point.
For a start, how do you know ALL Milwall fans support and cheer for their BAME players? Even if they do, it doesn’t exonerate them racially abusing BAME players from other clubs. How do you think the BAME players at Millwall felt when the booing started when they were showing their support for Black Lives Matter? Do you think that they felt supported by their own fans?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 12:46]

And not for the first time Sogs, you totally miss answering my earlier question...

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 13:01 - Dec 6 with 839 viewsChesham_Saint

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 07:38 - Dec 6 by solent_toffee

Very good points Toff and I agree something needs to be done. However, if you use a slogan catch all as a cornerstone of a campaign, you can expect a generalised and blunt response such as booing.

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 13:48 - Dec 6 with 816 viewsDENZY

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 11:41 - Dec 6 by Saintsforeverj

They could kneel, do a dance, twerk, skip or whatever. But the point is as I've said before, it won't make any difference! The racists will continue with their views, the non racists arn't racist anyway but have to waste time watching the players do a performance when all they want to do is watch the football! I mean how long are they going to do this performance for I wonder? Until the year 3000?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 11:43]

I can just imagine the players twerking before a 3pm kick off in front of a full house at the Den

"The Chapel Kop at Southampton is widely regarded as the most passionate and intimidating Kop in European football."

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 14:36 - Dec 6 with 792 viewsPoirot

Taking the knee is a subversive pile of bollocks

Booing also at colchester

BLM is an american political protest

We have the kick out campaign

Knee noncing has totally backfired now and is pure pr overkill gone wrong and has created the resentment, which isnt racist. People are sick to death with this political postering in football and sport in general.

Stadiums full and there would have been booing on the second attempt at knee noncing and been pulled.

[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 15:00]
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 15:05 - Dec 6 with 762 viewsSaintsforeverj

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 14:36 - Dec 6 by Poirot

Knee noncing has totally backfired now and is pure pr overkill gone wrong and has created the resentment, which isnt racist. People are sick to death with this political postering in football and sport in general.

Stadiums full and there would have been booing on the second attempt at knee noncing and been pulled.

Yep, booing at Colchester too. People have got to understand the view, that fans go to football grounds to watch their team, shout, and let off steam. They spend all week following rules, saying the right thing etc at work. Fans are most likely booing the continued ramming down their throats of political and moral views. They are not at church, school or parliament. Saturday football is a time to forget the worries of the world. I don't think it's as simple as they are booing because they are racist.

Any fan being racist in the ground should be dealt with in the harshest ways. But these campaigns of taking the knee, wearing badges, sitting in multi coloured seats is getting on people's nerves. More to the point, it won't change the racist or the homophobe. The fans are there to watch the football, not be lectured to. As long as they are not being racist and anything else, just let them watch the game.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 15:12]

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 16:17 - Dec 6 with 731 viewsSadoldgit

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 14:36 - Dec 6 by Poirot

And what good has the Kick It Out campaign done? Racism is still prevalent in football. Whatever you think of a bunch of people kneeling down on a pitch before a game to show that they are against racism, booing them shows that there is still a problem. Really, why do it? If you are fed up with it just ignore it or get in touch with the club and say you are not happy. By booing you are putting yourself in the camp of the racists. It won’t go on forever and Millwall have already said it will be reviewed in the New Year. If someone was standing on a street corner saying racism was wrong, what would you think of someone standing there booing him? Kneeling down in itself is not going to bring racism to an end, nor will ejecting people from the ground. What will bring it to an end is showing that it is wrong and will not be tolerated, which is what taking the knee or raising a fist is all about.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024