Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Millwall fans racist surprise! 17:26 - Dec 5 with 4971 viewsSadoldgit

Well, not really a surprise. Apparently they booed when their players took the knee today. If there was one club whose supporters you would expect to do this, my money would be in Millwall.
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 16:31 - Dec 6 with 979 viewssaint22

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 09:39 - Dec 6 by JaySaint

They are so racist, they regularly cheer, applaud, laud their own players of BAME origin.

Didn’t hear any other fans boo this weekend?
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 16:44 - Dec 6 with 969 viewsChesham_Saint

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 16:17 - Dec 6 by Sadoldgit

And what good has the Kick It Out campaign done? Racism is still prevalent in football. Whatever you think of a bunch of people kneeling down on a pitch before a game to show that they are against racism, booing them shows that there is still a problem. Really, why do it? If you are fed up with it just ignore it or get in touch with the club and say you are not happy. By booing you are putting yourself in the camp of the racists. It won’t go on forever and Millwall have already said it will be reviewed in the New Year. If someone was standing on a street corner saying racism was wrong, what would you think of someone standing there booing him? Kneeling down in itself is not going to bring racism to an end, nor will ejecting people from the ground. What will bring it to an end is showing that it is wrong and will not be tolerated, which is what taking the knee or raising a fist is all about.

Racism is prevalent in football? Is that your own personal experience Sogs?

You’re a Saints fan, but I don’t know of you regularly attend matches at SMS. If you do, when was the last time you personally witnessed or experienced any racism? We have a plethora of races and nationalities in our team and the fan base is increasingly cosmopolitan. Hand on heart I can say I haven’t heard any racist language at a home game for years. The last time I recall is in the league cup semi final was in 1986 when we played liverpool and the “I’d rather be a paki than a scouse” chant was used and this was to wind up the away fans and not aimed at any Pakistanis present (but unacceptable nonetheless).

Other than that, away at Highbury just before the 2003 Cup Final a lone SFC fan abused some black Arsenal fans stood in their section in the clock end. Those Arsenal fans were outraged calling for the police to sort the guy out (and by the way, Those same fans thinking it was completely fine to make vile sexist chats about a couple of female Saints fans who turned up late and had to walk along the goal line to join our section).

Anyway, back to the point - when did you, Sogs, last experience racism at a Saints game for you to be so convinced it is “prevalent” throughout football?
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 17:35]

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 17:30 - Dec 6 with 933 viewsBicester_North

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 16:31 - Dec 6 by saint22

Didn’t hear any other fans boo this weekend?

It happened at other grounds.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 19:54 - Dec 6 with 860 viewssaint22

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 17:30 - Dec 6 by Bicester_North

It happened at other grounds.

Where?
Remember racists rarely admit they are just that, generally I think you will find the only people who oppose an anti racist movement are racists
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 19:58 - Dec 6 with 857 viewsBicester_North

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 19:54 - Dec 6 by saint22

Where?
Remember racists rarely admit they are just that, generally I think you will find the only people who oppose an anti racist movement are racists

Colchester, and Reading was mentioned.

Self centered, gentrifying, lying, planet wreckers like yourself have a far more detrimental effect on the poor and oppressed than some plums at a Millwall match booing a tiresome, American copying, over privileged, relentlessly repetitive token gesture.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 20:00]

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 20:17 - Dec 6 with 835 viewsBicester_North

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 11:03 - Dec 6 by SaintNick

I agree Millwall are a horrible club to visit with a nasty set of fans, but they always had fans of different races, unlike West Ham who were a hotbed for racism back in the 70's & 80's Millwall was never a racist place, they did not discrimate on colour or race, they just hated anyone who wasn't Millwall

People just believe the media crap about Millwall being a bunch of animals etc, I have met some genuinely good community people from there who have made me and other opposing fans welcome.

They are an insular club from a rough area and therefore have a higher percentage of dickhead thugs than a lot of other clubs, but to generalise that they are a horrible club with a nasty set of fans is just the same as categorising a race of people.

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 21:11 - Dec 6 with 811 viewssaint22

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 19:58 - Dec 6 by Bicester_North

Self centered, gentrifying, lying, planet wreckers like yourself have a far more detrimental effect on the poor and oppressed than some plums at a Millwall match booing a tiresome, American copying, over privileged, relentlessly repetitive token gesture.

Ok Nigel
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 21:26 - Dec 6 with 796 viewsBicester_North

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 21:11 - Dec 6 by saint22

Ok Nigel

Utter contempt for the poor and the downtrodden hey Ben? Sleep easy Donald

Login to get fewer ads

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 21:45 - Dec 6 with 779 viewssaint22

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 21:26 - Dec 6 by Bicester_North

Utter contempt for the poor and the downtrodden hey Ben? Sleep easy Donald

But according to you that’s all lies
Nicely deflected away from the OP
Why boo an anti racist protest??
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 22:00 - Dec 6 with 764 viewsBicester_North

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 21:45 - Dec 6 by saint22

But according to you that’s all lies
Nicely deflected away from the OP
Why boo an anti racist protest??

So you’re either a pathetic liar destroying the fabric of society, or someone who defecates on the poor with your I’m alright jack, champagne Charlie capitalist lifestyle.
Which is it?

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 22:22 - Dec 6 with 753 viewsRon11

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 00:27 - Dec 6 by Sadoldgit

Politics has no place in sport, but racism does?

Politics has no place in sport.
Racism has its place in politics - ask BLM, that's what they are, a political organisation that amongst many other things want to defund the police. That's what they were booing about, and I for one agree with them. They didn't boo any black or white players after that only the kneeling gesture that just applauds political extremism.
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 22:26 - Dec 6 with 750 viewsRon11

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 19:58 - Dec 6 by Bicester_North

West Ham
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 22:38 - Dec 6 with 739 viewsRon11

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 15:05 - Dec 6 by Saintsforeverj

Yep, booing at Colchester too. People have got to understand the view, that fans go to football grounds to watch their team, shout, and let off steam. They spend all week following rules, saying the right thing etc at work. Fans are most likely booing the continued ramming down their throats of political and moral views. They are not at church, school or parliament. Saturday football is a time to forget the worries of the world. I don't think it's as simple as they are booing because they are racist.

Any fan being racist in the ground should be dealt with in the harshest ways. But these campaigns of taking the knee, wearing badges, sitting in multi coloured seats is getting on people's nerves. More to the point, it won't change the racist or the homophobe. The fans are there to watch the football, not be lectured to. As long as they are not being racist and anything else, just let them watch the game.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 15:12]

And then when they get home they're subjected to all the virtue signalling that's now on TV commercial breaks and elsewhere being rammed down their throats.
What the likes of Sky and the BBC don't seem to remotely comprehend is that it's causing resentment and as a result, increasing racist attitudes.
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 22:51 - Dec 6 with 733 viewsRon11

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 16:17 - Dec 6 by Sadoldgit

And what good has the Kick It Out campaign done? Racism is still prevalent in football. Whatever you think of a bunch of people kneeling down on a pitch before a game to show that they are against racism, booing them shows that there is still a problem. Really, why do it? If you are fed up with it just ignore it or get in touch with the club and say you are not happy. By booing you are putting yourself in the camp of the racists. It won’t go on forever and Millwall have already said it will be reviewed in the New Year. If someone was standing on a street corner saying racism was wrong, what would you think of someone standing there booing him? Kneeling down in itself is not going to bring racism to an end, nor will ejecting people from the ground. What will bring it to an end is showing that it is wrong and will not be tolerated, which is what taking the knee or raising a fist is all about.

In all the years I've been watching Saints, I've never heard a racist comment directed toward any black player.
What I have heard -
'You useless Polish c*nt at Raziak
'You f*ckin Northern Donkey at Carroll
'You useless French c*nt' at Puel
etc etc etc.
No feathers ruffled over any of that.
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 22:53 - Dec 6 with 730 viewsChesham_Saint

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 22:51 - Dec 6 by Ron11

In all the years I've been watching Saints, I've never heard a racist comment directed toward any black player.
What I have heard -
etc etc etc.

What!? No abuse of gingers?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 23:06 - Dec 6 with 725 viewsSaintsforeverj

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 22:38 - Dec 6 by Ron11

And then when they get home they're subjected to all the virtue signalling that's now on TV commercial breaks and elsewhere being rammed down their throats.
What the likes of Sky and the BBC don't seem to remotely comprehend is that it's causing resentment and as a result, increasing racist attitudes.

Totally agree. Education and harsh consequences for racism and unacceptable behaviour are the more appropriate answers. Ramming things down peoples throats wherever you turn, is suffocating people. On a Saturday, I just want to cheer Saints on to hopefully win the game and forget about life's worries and societies problems. I don't care if the winning goal scorer is black, white, gay, called Barbara or whatever. I think most others are the same. They just don't like being constantly lectured to. I think most people understand that racism isn't ok. I think they have got it now! The ones who haven't got it it never will.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2020 23:38]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 07:08 - Dec 7 with 680 viewssaint22

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 22:22 - Dec 6 by Ron11

Politics has no place in sport.
Racism has its place in politics - ask BLM, that's what they are, a political organisation that amongst many other things want to defund the police. That's what they were booing about, and I for one agree with them. They didn't boo any black or white players after that only the kneeling gesture that just applauds political extremism.

Racism has NO place anywhere, politics, sport, life
The fact that in here so many get up in arms about it just further goes to illustrate it’s a massive issue
Racism in any form is indefensible so quit trying to defend it
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 07:09 - Dec 7 with 679 viewssaint22

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 23:06 - Dec 6 by Saintsforeverj

Totally agree. Education and harsh consequences for racism and unacceptable behaviour are the more appropriate answers. Ramming things down peoples throats wherever you turn, is suffocating people. On a Saturday, I just want to cheer Saints on to hopefully win the game and forget about life's worries and societies problems. I don't care if the winning goal scorer is black, white, gay, called Barbara or whatever. I think most others are the same. They just don't like being constantly lectured to. I think most people understand that racism isn't ok. I think they have got it now! The ones who haven't got it it never will.

So the ones who don’t get it should be allowed to continue??!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/dec/06/toxicity-on-show-at-millwa
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 08:27 - Dec 7 with 663 viewsSadoldgit

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 22:51 - Dec 6 by Ron11

What I have heard -
etc etc etc.

So because you “haven’t heard it” it doesn’t exist? Perhaps listen to black players when they talk about their own experiences of being racially abused?
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 08:38 - Dec 7 with 658 viewsBicester_North

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 07:09 - Dec 7 by saint22

So the ones who don’t get it should be allowed to continue??!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/dec/06/toxicity-on-show-at-millwa

Goon

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 08:39 - Dec 7 with 655 viewsSadoldgit

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 22:38 - Dec 6 by Ron11

Why would it cause resentment? It only causes resentment in people who have basic racist beliefs and views. If you understand the problem and that it needs to be dealt with in society then why would you have a problem with the message? Did you have a problem with the anti drink/driving campaign? Did you have a problem with the Stay Home and Save Lives campaign? People with a racist mindset, and there are clearly still a great many, needs to have their views challenged on a regular basis. They need to be reminded constantly that they need to think about what is going on in their heads and why that is. Things change over time when constantly challenged. They do not change if you just sweep them under the carpet. If you get angry over the message then perhaps that has triggered something inside you that needs dealing with?
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 08:57 - Dec 7 with 644 viewssolent_toffee

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 23:06 - Dec 6 by Saintsforeverj

This weekend was the Rainbow Laces campaign. It wasn’t rammed down anyone’s throat, in fact as a gay man, I just shrugged it off as it’s exactly the same campaign that it’s been for years with little to no follow up and so feels like nothing but tokenism.

You don’t tend to hear homophobic language at football, mainly due to the fact that zero gay players have come out so it’s not an issue. But Brighton fans must be bored shitless as it’s a recurring theme at their games for the simple fact that they have a high percentage of LGBT residents in their town.

Likewise if you ever pop to The London Hotel after a home game, you don’t have to look far for the homophobia as it’s rife.

Everton changed their logo on social media last summer to include the rainbow flag in a nod to the upcoming Liverpool pride. Within minutes of this update, there were literally of abusive posts, many really sickening, mostly from non-Everton fans. To Evertons credit, they are very much behind an LGBT supporters club.

It’s the same in Southampton whenever Southampton pride is mentioned in the Echo, have a look at the comments page and imagine being the son, daughter, brother, sister, etc of the author of some of the vile comments.

The whole point of being an inclusive society, as far as football is concerned gay people aren’t included, and I don’t think this will change for many years to come.
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 10:06 - Dec 7 with 621 viewsSaintsforeverj

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 08:57 - Dec 7 by solent_toffee

This weekend was the Rainbow Laces campaign. It wasn’t rammed down anyone’s throat, in fact as a gay man, I just shrugged it off as it’s exactly the same campaign that it’s been for years with little to no follow up and so feels like nothing but tokenism.

You don’t tend to hear homophobic language at football, mainly due to the fact that zero gay players have come out so it’s not an issue. But Brighton fans must be bored shitless as it’s a recurring theme at their games for the simple fact that they have a high percentage of LGBT residents in their town.

Likewise if you ever pop to The London Hotel after a home game, you don’t have to look far for the homophobia as it’s rife.

Everton changed their logo on social media last summer to include the rainbow flag in a nod to the upcoming Liverpool pride. Within minutes of this update, there were literally of abusive posts, many really sickening, mostly from non-Everton fans. To Evertons credit, they are very much behind an LGBT supporters club.

It’s the same in Southampton whenever Southampton pride is mentioned in the Echo, have a look at the comments page and imagine being the son, daughter, brother, sister, etc of the author of some of the vile comments.

The whole point of being an inclusive society, as far as football is concerned gay people aren’t included, and I don’t think this will change for many years to come.

It's tokenism. Do you think the colours of the rainbow represent gay people? All colourful and bright, like a butterfly? Rainbow laces flickering in the air and people waving flags? I would imagine not all gay people want to be viewed like that. Straight people or otherwise might see themselves at multi coloured too, they might not. The same as I said for racism, the homophobes won't stop or change their views because clubs colour a few seats. It's rammed down people's throats because they are even turning red and white seats into multi coloured seats. I thinks it's getting silly. Tackle homophobia and racism yes, but do something that actually has an impact. Don't start changing the colour of my team's seats!
[Post edited 7 Dec 2020 10:18]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 10:06 - Dec 7 with 620 viewssaint22

Millwall fans racist surprise! on 08:57 - Dec 7 by solent_toffee

A very good post Toffs and I agree that often campaigning fails on deaf ears but should we just sit back and let the uneducated minority carry on with vile despicable behaviour in 2020?
Surely its time these types of people know that prejudice in any form is no longer acceptable, or do we sit back like that muppet Environment minister yesterday and refuse to condemn it?
Millwall fans racist surprise! on 10:45 - Dec 7 with 589 viewsBerber

The discussions on this board are fascinating and enlightening. I like the fact that for the most part, it is conducted without idiotic name calling.

The fundamental problem with racism, anti gay, anti whatever groups is intolerance. The intolerance shown towards people who have a valid reason to protest usually betrays a denial or sympathy towards the first intolerance. For me, people who actively react against a passive form of protest, such as taking the knee have some thinking to do.

Sure, it is American, and imported and somewhat crass. To claim it is meaningless when players and clubs voluntarily continue to add their support doesn't hold any logic. It may be meaningless to you, but that is not a reason to deny its validity to hundreds, thousands or millions of other people. That is intolerance.

Almost no clubs supporters abuse their own non white or non British players. That doesn't mean that abusing opposition players in those categories is non racist and that racism in football (or the media, as cited by Sterling) isn't an issue.

Incidentally, there were some (more than one) incidents of anti semitic chanting that I heard in the Kingsland stand last season against Spurs, and another more famously reported by a press reporter also in the Kingsland. Given how close the personal networks are there, the lack of challenges was interesting. I guess we all have a tendency to let the idiots get away with things and not being *rsed about it isn't really good enough.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024