Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we in a relegation scrap yet? 21:02 - Feb 22 with 2769 viewsButty101

More than a passing similarity to Swansea a couple seasons ago when they imploded. Bar Kwp we are pretty much back to full strength.

Despite beating us I think Perhaps Newcastle will be our saviour as they look poor.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 22:07 - Feb 22 with 1881 viewsSadoldgit

So you think we will finish below Palace, Burnley Brighton and Fulham?
Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 22:07 - Feb 22 with 1882 viewsgreen

Not really in a relegation scrap. Yes we're on a bad run and have slipped down to 14th but:

> we've played one less game than all of the teams below us.

> we still have to play all of those teams below us (apart from Newcastle), in the first half of the season we beat Burnley, Brighton, West Brom and Sheff Utd and obviously there is no guarantee that we'll beat them again but realistically you'd like to think we'd have a good chance.

> of the remaining 14 games, 5 are against teams below us in the table, 4 are against teams in 9th - 13th position and 5 are against the teams currently between 1st and 7th.

> if we were to go down from here then we'd definitely deserve it.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 22:07]
Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 22:17 - Feb 22 with 1865 viewsgrumpy

We are in freefall,so yes we are in a relegation scrap.
Injuries to key players and the lack of strength of the the squad have played their part.
We are 8 points above third from bottom with a tough game at Leeds tomorrow.
What worries me most is where the goals are going to come from if Ings doesn't score.
Oh! and taking the lead and not hanging on to it.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 22:27]
Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 22:29 - Feb 22 with 1841 viewspjt50

Very unlikely of course BUT if every team got the same number of points in the next 5 games as they got in the past 5 we'd be level on points with N'castle & one ahead of Fulham. Just saying.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 22:34 - Feb 22 with 1829 viewsDorsetIan

Currently on 30 points. Tomorrow is match 25. After 25 matches last season we have 31 points.

Bournemouth had 26 and only just copped it at the end.

And they were a disgrace, going down without any fight.

I agree with Green. If we do worse than them, they should send us straight to League 1 for the shame of it.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 22:37 - Feb 22 with 1823 viewsButty101

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 22:07 - Feb 22 by Sadoldgit

So you think we will finish below Palace, Burnley Brighton and Fulham?

Palace are above us....

8 points from 12 games is poor

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 23:02 - Feb 22 with 1791 views1teeminants

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 22:37 - Feb 22 by Butty101

Palace are above us....

Have you seen our fixtures next nine games ? Sheff Utd, Brighton ,West Brom ,Burnley, palace all in that lot . We’ll be fine ,Mid table and upwards we’ll be for sure at the end especially with all out players coming back .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 23:33 - Feb 22 with 1762 viewsSadoldgit

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 22:37 - Feb 22 by Butty101

Palace are above us....

Brighton battered Palace but could finish. Palace have played a game more than us. I’d rather be us than any of those other teams.
Login to get fewer ads

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 00:25 - Feb 23 with 1728 viewsdarthvader

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 23:33 - Feb 22 by Sadoldgit

Brighton battered Palace but could finish. Palace have played a game more than us. I’d rather be us than any of those other teams.

We have been or are on a bad run .. No doubt .

Yet i believe that soon the goals will come back for us and so will the confidence of earlier in the season . I reckon we owe someone a battering and maybe even one of the big teams will come unstuck against us .

We will lose more games but we will win a few too . Comon saints

keep the faith coyr

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 09:48 - Feb 23 with 1561 viewsSaintNick

In 2017/18 after 24 games Swansea were bottom on 20 points we were 3rd from bottom on 22.

So Swansea hardly imploded, they spent most of the season in the bottom 3 aside from a brief burst that carried them up to 31 points after 30 games.

But after that they went back to their old form and barely got a point in the final games.

In terms of putting out a starting XI you are right we are nearly at full strength, our problem is that after that we have no one on the bench.

Tis is why we have given away so many points in the second half, other teams have been able to bring on experienced fresh legs, we have to battle through to the last 15 minutes or so before we can bring the kids on.

The good news is that hopefully it will get better, get Stuart Armstrong back in and then KWP, Walcott and Diallo and we have enough on the bench again.

If we are still on 30 points in 6 games time then you may have a point about Swansea but at the moment we are a team that has gone through a bad patch purely because of injuries and suspensions.

The Manchester United game aside we have competed in every fixture, Leicester could only put the game to bed in the last minute as we poured forward for an equaliser and gave the ball away.

I support Saints for the hope that the next game is one that is truly a great win, some seem to go to be able to prophesise doom in every game.

On here I may criticise certain players, but when I go to a game I support them, I want them to do well, but too often I have found myself next to people whose sole method of support seems to be screaming "For f**ks sake Pelle/Mane/Hoedt/Ward Prowse/Redmond/Austin you are f***king rubbish"

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone on here, I don't know how you support the team, but there is an air of negativity in our supporters when they go to games, we need to start being positive, back the club, back the team and see what we can actually achieve not pie in the sky.

Its been about for as long as I have been going, people of my age like to recount the tales of the 1976 cup final and the great support etc but they forget that in the previous 12 months Lawrie McMenemy had been booed on his walk to the dug out and had things chucked at hi, they forget the games in January when there were only 14,000 in the ground, they even forget that the two home games before the Cup final where not packed houses sending the team on its way but far from full.

Lawrie McMenemy called it right at the time when he said that in Newcastle the fans give the team something and then the team chip in, down in the South it is the other way round, the team have to perform and then the fans get going. .

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 10:00 - Feb 23 with 1544 viewsRon11

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 09:48 - Feb 23 by SaintNick

In 2017/18 after 24 games Swansea were bottom on 20 points we were 3rd from bottom on 22.

So Swansea hardly imploded, they spent most of the season in the bottom 3 aside from a brief burst that carried them up to 31 points after 30 games.

But after that they went back to their old form and barely got a point in the final games.

In terms of putting out a starting XI you are right we are nearly at full strength, our problem is that after that we have no one on the bench.

Tis is why we have given away so many points in the second half, other teams have been able to bring on experienced fresh legs, we have to battle through to the last 15 minutes or so before we can bring the kids on.

The good news is that hopefully it will get better, get Stuart Armstrong back in and then KWP, Walcott and Diallo and we have enough on the bench again.

If we are still on 30 points in 6 games time then you may have a point about Swansea but at the moment we are a team that has gone through a bad patch purely because of injuries and suspensions.

The Manchester United game aside we have competed in every fixture, Leicester could only put the game to bed in the last minute as we poured forward for an equaliser and gave the ball away.

I support Saints for the hope that the next game is one that is truly a great win, some seem to go to be able to prophesise doom in every game.

On here I may criticise certain players, but when I go to a game I support them, I want them to do well, but too often I have found myself next to people whose sole method of support seems to be screaming "For f**ks sake Pelle/Mane/Hoedt/Ward Prowse/Redmond/Austin you are f***king rubbish"

I'm not pointing the finger at anyone on here, I don't know how you support the team, but there is an air of negativity in our supporters when they go to games, we need to start being positive, back the club, back the team and see what we can actually achieve not pie in the sky.

Its been about for as long as I have been going, people of my age like to recount the tales of the 1976 cup final and the great support etc but they forget that in the previous 12 months Lawrie McMenemy had been booed on his walk to the dug out and had things chucked at hi, they forget the games in January when there were only 14,000 in the ground, they even forget that the two home games before the Cup final where not packed houses sending the team on its way but far from full.

Lawrie McMenemy called it right at the time when he said that in Newcastle the fans give the team something and then the team chip in, down in the South it is the other way round, the team have to perform and then the fans get going. .

if going down was a matter of just a point or two it would be down to the incompetence/bias of Dean and Mason.
One of the only times I've hurled abuse at a Saints player from the stands was when Van Dijk was on the pitch but was pointedly not making any effort to defend after his head had been turned - while still taking the money of course.
Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 10:09 - Feb 23 with 1537 viewsBicester_North

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 09:48 - Feb 23 by SaintNick

I don’t think we’ll go down, but one lesson I hope the club learned is that squad depth is something that’s seriously hurt us this season.
I’m not expecting us to break the bank to sign top players but the club need to change strategy from all about youth and bring in a few experienced players who can slot in when we are carrying injuries, and push the first team players to perform better.
Otherwise we will come unstuck even worse than we have in this bad run.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 10:31 - Feb 23 with 1500 viewsDorsetIan

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 10:09 - Feb 23 by Bicester_North

I don’t think we’ll go down, but one lesson I hope the club learned is that squad depth is something that’s seriously hurt us this season.
I’m not expecting us to break the bank to sign top players but the club need to change strategy from all about youth and bring in a few experienced players who can slot in when we are carrying injuries, and push the first team players to perform better.
Otherwise we will come unstuck even worse than we have in this bad run.

100% agree.

But it's not a strategy. It's forced on us because the club is strapped for cash, the 80% owner can't invest, and the 20% owner doesn't want to anymore.

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 10:48 - Feb 23 with 1492 viewssaint22

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 23:02 - Feb 22 by 1teeminants

Have you seen our fixtures next nine games ? Sheff Utd, Brighton ,West Brom ,Burnley, palace all in that lot . We’ll be fine ,Mid table and upwards we’ll be for sure at the end especially with all out players coming back .

But those teams will be fighting for their lives so it won't be easy
In reality if we were to beat leeds then everton I would say we are safe, but our inability to hold a lead is seriously becoming an issue, not just mentally for us but sides we play must think if they go 1 nil down they have plenty of time to turn it round
Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 11:23 - Feb 23 with 1461 viewsBicester_North

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 10:31 - Feb 23 by DorsetIan

100% agree.

But it's not a strategy. It's forced on us because the club is strapped for cash, the 80% owner can't invest, and the 20% owner doesn't want to anymore.

Big summer coming up, they either invest or limp on

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 11:39 - Feb 23 with 1443 viewsSonicBoom

I think it's perfectly ok to support the club and team 100% - and to see the bigger picture. BUT it's folly to ignore what's happened. We have plummeted down the table to the point we are below the likes of Palace who no one has mentioned positively all year. We are also just ahead of Newcastle and Brighton.
I know being top was false and unsustainable but you cannot ignore a record losing run and an all time hammering. There are more issues than just bad luck with VAR and lots of injuries. All teams are playing the same number of games, and some considerably more.

There are issues with tactics and mentality. In fact I think it is mostly mentality.
We've been done 9-0 not once but twice. That is colossal. The lack of fight to do it once is astounding, to do it twice well I simply cannot think of an excuse. You can't say "well when you play Man United this can happen". If that were true it wouldn't be a record would it.
Add to that the fact we are top of the league for losing points from winning positions and I think it shows that this teams really lacks bottle and fight. We look good on a good day, but winners grind out results.
Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 11:41 - Feb 23 with 1439 viewsDorsetIan

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 11:23 - Feb 23 by Bicester_North

Big summer coming up, they either invest or limp on

Got to hope Gao will be gone by the next transfer window.

With Covid behind us and safety assured for next season, it would hopefully be easier for a new buyer to commit.

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 12:19 - Feb 23 with 1403 viewsSaintNick

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 10:48 - Feb 23 by saint22

But those teams will be fighting for their lives so it won't be easy
In reality if we were to beat leeds then everton I would say we are safe, but our inability to hold a lead is seriously becoming an issue, not just mentally for us but sides we play must think if they go 1 nil down they have plenty of time to turn it round

This season is a little out of kilter, as we head into March it should be the time when the table is sorting itself out and teams start to fight for their lives, but truth is we are a month behind, still another 6 games to go before we his the final 8 games where teams do fight for their lives,

Will sheffield United be fighting for their lives in two games time or will they have lost their two home games in between to Liverpool and Villa and be sitting on just 11 points with 11 games left and deflated knowing that they need 25 points out of the 33 available

With the dropping points thing it is an issue as other sides know they can bring on fresh legs whilst we haven't much with experience to bring on

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 12:28 - Feb 23 with 1390 viewsSaintNick

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 11:41 - Feb 23 by DorsetIan

Got to hope Gao will be gone by the next transfer window.

With Covid behind us and safety assured for next season, it would hopefully be easier for a new buyer to commit.

The get rid of Gao and everything will be fine theory, there are just a couple of flaws.

1. Where are we going to find a new owner from who isn't going to leverage the club as Burnley's new owners have done, so they can play football club owners with someone else's money

2. Who these days is out there who genuinely wants to throw billions at a club to try and get it success, the maths don't add up, someone mentioned West Ham getting Lindegaard on loan was financial sense as it has made West Ham a force this season and the extra league places prize money will cover it, but they fail to metion West Ham this season have spent less on transfers than they have brought in.

3, As above finding an owner who will spent £100 million on transfers to move up 5 league places and gain £11 million in prize money, you don't become mega rich by throwing money away.

4. Does anyone consider that due to circumstance Gao has been forced to run the club under it's own steam, therefore we have had a very stable last 3 years both in terms of finances and where we are in the league

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 12:29 - Feb 23 with 1390 viewsDorsetIan

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 12:19 - Feb 23 by SaintNick

This season is a little out of kilter, as we head into March it should be the time when the table is sorting itself out and teams start to fight for their lives, but truth is we are a month behind, still another 6 games to go before we his the final 8 games where teams do fight for their lives,

Will sheffield United be fighting for their lives in two games time or will they have lost their two home games in between to Liverpool and Villa and be sitting on just 11 points with 11 games left and deflated knowing that they need 25 points out of the 33 available

With the dropping points thing it is an issue as other sides know they can bring on fresh legs whilst we haven't much with experience to bring on

You seem to be coming around to the idea that our squad/bench is not strong enough to enable us to compete properly over 90 mins.

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 12:50 - Feb 23 with 1372 viewsSaintNick

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 12:29 - Feb 23 by DorsetIan

You seem to be coming around to the idea that our squad/bench is not strong enough to enable us to compete properly over 90 mins.

The squad is not strong enough with six injuries, but with everyone back it is, Iwhy are all clubs aside from Manchester City having the same boom or bust periods we are having, we are all in the same boat squads have been trimmed

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 13:15 - Feb 23 with 1349 viewsButty101

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 12:28 - Feb 23 by SaintNick

The get rid of Gao and everything will be fine theory, there are just a couple of flaws.

1. Where are we going to find a new owner from who isn't going to leverage the club as Burnley's new owners have done, so they can play football club owners with someone else's money

2. Who these days is out there who genuinely wants to throw billions at a club to try and get it success, the maths don't add up, someone mentioned West Ham getting Lindegaard on loan was financial sense as it has made West Ham a force this season and the extra league places prize money will cover it, but they fail to metion West Ham this season have spent less on transfers than they have brought in.

3, As above finding an owner who will spent £100 million on transfers to move up 5 league places and gain £11 million in prize money, you don't become mega rich by throwing money away.

4. Does anyone consider that due to circumstance Gao has been forced to run the club under it's own steam, therefore we have had a very stable last 3 years both in terms of finances and where we are in the league

2 out of 3 of those years we have posted big loses. The year before covid had bad financial results. So hardly stable

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 13:25 - Feb 23 with 1343 viewsSaintNick

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 13:15 - Feb 23 by Butty101

2 out of 3 of those years we have posted big loses. The year before covid had bad financial results. So hardly stable

Financial losses are all part of things in football and get balanced out along the way, for instance the last set of accounts showed a big loss, but a lot of that was because of the fact that usually receive Premier League & Tv money in June , but last year because of the season ending late it didn't come though till august after last years accounts year end.

Lets be honest no one will be satisfied unless we get a Manchester City type owner who is prepared to break financial fair play rules and bank roll the club

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 13:53 - Feb 23 with 1323 viewsDorsetIan

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 12:50 - Feb 23 by SaintNick

The squad is not strong enough with six injuries, but with everyone back it is, Iwhy are all clubs aside from Manchester City having the same boom or bust periods we are having, we are all in the same boat squads have been trimmed

It's not strong enough when everyone is fit either. There is a lack of basic cover at right and left back and few 'proven' attacking options off the bench.

Our booms and busts have been more dramatic than most as a result.

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 14:25 - Feb 23 with 1309 viewsSaintNick

Are we in a relegation scrap yet? on 13:53 - Feb 23 by DorsetIan

It's not strong enough when everyone is fit either. There is a lack of basic cover at right and left back and few 'proven' attacking options off the bench.

Our booms and busts have been more dramatic than most as a result.

They have cover in that Jack Stephens can play in either role at present, or Bednarek or JWP, but I do agree that at the moment the cover is sparse, but what do we do, do we think of next season as we have done and let Valery and Vokins get experience, or do we let them stay and then we are in the same boat next year, no cover with enough real experience

At the moment we are damned if we do damned if we dont.

Is our situation really much worse than others, Liverpool have lost 4 Premier League games in a row and only won 2 of the last 11, Spurs have lost 5 of the last 6 with just a win against West Brom, Everton had won only one of their last 6 before they beat Liverpoo, most clubs have had a similar bad spell this season.l,

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024