Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I tell you what 20:27 - Apr 25 with 2134 viewsgrumpy

the way results are going we will have a real fight on our hands to stay up.
9 points it maybe, but we have to start picking up points.
I tell you what on 20:29 - Apr 25 with 2118 viewsHeisenberg

If we can’t win one of our remaining games then we deserve to go down.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

I tell you what on 20:31 - Apr 25 with 2106 viewssaint22

That writing has been on the wall for weeks but too many think we ain’t ever going down
If we lose the next two which is likely I don’t think we will have the confidence or nerve to beat Fulham
I want to believe we can but i can see us needing to beat West Ham come the last day
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 20:31]
I tell you what on 21:22 - Apr 25 with 2033 viewsBicester_North

I tell you what on 20:31 - Apr 25 by saint22

That writing has been on the wall for weeks but too many think we ain’t ever going down
If we lose the next two which is likely I don’t think we will have the confidence or nerve to beat Fulham
I want to believe we can but i can see us needing to beat West Ham come the last day
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 20:31]

Say we lose all our remaining 6 which even the most negative fan would have to say is a massive long shot

Fulham then have to win 3 out of 5, or win 2 and draw 3, vs-
Chelsea
Burnley
Saints
Man U
Newcastle

I

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

I tell you what on 21:54 - Apr 25 with 1989 viewsSaintsforeverj

I tell you what on 21:22 - Apr 25 by Bicester_North

Say we lose all our remaining 6 which even the most negative fan would have to say is a massive long shot

Chelsea
Burnley
Saints
Man U
Newcastle

I

And Fulham would have to beat us as one of their 3 wins, plus Newcastle, Brighton, Burnley would all need to get more points. Anything is possible in football but realistically, we are safe. Fulham have too much to do. We will beat Leeds at home in front of the fans.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 21:56]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

I tell you what on 21:56 - Apr 25 with 1993 viewsgrumpy

That was a massive blow to WBA tonight, I thought they had won that.
I tell you what on 21:56 - Apr 25 with 1981 viewsSaintsforeverj

I tell you what on 21:56 - Apr 25 by grumpy

That was a massive blow to WBA tonight, I thought they had won that.

Yep, they are gone.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 22:08 - Apr 25 with 1966 viewsdirk_doone

You can get 100/1 if you think there is a realistic chance:

Relegation odds

West Brom 1/250
Fulham 1/20
Brighton 20/1
Newcastle 33/1
Burnley 35/1
Southampton 100/1

Even a Little Pompey fan like Saint22 wouldn't bother wasting his money betting on it.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 22:13]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

I tell you what on 22:25 - Apr 25 with 1924 viewsKennington

If we can’t win one more game, as mentioned above we thoroughly deserve to be relegated. Assuming we stay up the summer transfer window is going to require a massive injection of funds. How can a top flight team scrape by with two full backs and one genuine holding midfielder? Our ‘attacking’ midfield is really a joke. Armstrong has really impressed, but Minimino, Wallcot, Redmond, Djemepo have to be the poorest bunch of players since we were relegated in 2005.

Looking at the 04/05 team it was better in quite a few areas. I’d definitely have Niemi in goal. Full backs are better now, but not really much in it defensively. That team conceded 66 and so far this team has conceded 58. So pretty similar.

Attacking wise that 04/5 team arguably had stronger players, I reckon all of Anders Svensson, Phillips, Crouch, Delap, Oakley would start in this current team. Just shows really how weak this current team is. Perhaps the league as a whole was better back then too, as there wasn’t a nailed on Sheffield Utd to fill one relegation place.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 22:28]

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Login to get fewer ads

I tell you what on 22:36 - Apr 25 with 1864 viewsdirk_doone

I tell you what on 22:25 - Apr 25 by Kennington

If we can’t win one more game, as mentioned above we thoroughly deserve to be relegated. Assuming we stay up the summer transfer window is going to require a massive injection of funds. How can a top flight team scrape by with two full backs and one genuine holding midfielder? Our ‘attacking’ midfield is really a joke. Armstrong has really impressed, but Minimino, Wallcot, Redmond, Djemepo have to be the poorest bunch of players since we were relegated in 2005.

Looking at the 04/05 team it was better in quite a few areas. I’d definitely have Niemi in goal. Full backs are better now, but not really much in it defensively. That team conceded 66 and so far this team has conceded 58. So pretty similar.

Attacking wise that 04/5 team arguably had stronger players, I reckon all of Anders Svensson, Phillips, Crouch, Delap, Oakley would start in this current team. Just shows really how weak this current team is. Perhaps the league as a whole was better back then too, as there wasn’t a nailed on Sheffield Utd to fill one relegation place.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 22:28]

But, Norwich City are coming back up:

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-leagu

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 22:39 - Apr 25 with 1863 viewskingslandstand1

People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 22:08 - Apr 25 by dirk_doone

You can get 100/1 if you think there is a realistic chance:

Relegation odds

West Brom 1/250
Fulham 1/20
Brighton 20/1
Newcastle 33/1
Burnley 35/1
Southampton 100/1

Even a Little Pompey fan like Saint22 wouldn't bother wasting his money betting on it.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 22:13]

And when are the bookies wrong!

We're safe, though last November who'd have thought we'd even be thinking about it st this stage

But I'm certain we will struggle next season unless there is a major overhaul in tge summer, and can we honestly see that happening?
I tell you what on 23:32 - Apr 25 with 1826 viewshedgeend61

I tell you what on 21:54 - Apr 25 by Saintsforeverj

And Fulham would have to beat us as one of their 3 wins, plus Newcastle, Brighton, Burnley would all need to get more points. Anything is possible in football but realistically, we are safe. Fulham have too much to do. We will beat Leeds at home in front of the fans.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2021 21:56]

Fulham and WBA have won 5 games each from 33 all season.

Nothing on form suggests either will get anywhere near reaching 36 points with 5 games left, so if we lost all our last 6 (which we won't), we'd still stay up.

So, all you bedwetting girls out there, don't panic, it won't happen.
I tell you what on 08:13 - Apr 26 with 1694 viewsBerber

I tell you what on 21:22 - Apr 25 by Bicester_North

Chelsea
Burnley
Saints
Man U
Newcastle

I

Correct, I think that if we get only a point against Fulham, we are probably safe. If we can't raise our game to do that, then relegation would be deserved.
People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 08:21 - Apr 26 with 1691 viewsSaintNick

People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 22:39 - Apr 25 by kingslandstand1

And when are the bookies wrong!

We're safe, though last November who'd have thought we'd even be thinking about it st this stage

But I'm certain we will struggle next season unless there is a major overhaul in tge summer, and can we honestly see that happening?

The problems this season have largely been due to the injury crisis that has seen key players out of action for long periods of time.

But I do agree we need additions to the squad and hopefully that will happen.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

I tell you what on 09:33 - Apr 26 with 1620 viewsIngskneeslide

We've been virtually safe since Christmas, it's only the utter bedwetters and Skates like 22/130 that have been saying we're 'in a world of trouble'. We're not going down, but this has probably been one of the most frustrating seasons I can remember supporting Saints because of how our form has one off a cliff. It feels like we're at a crossroads and next season will give a big indication of which direction we're going in.
People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 10:41 - Apr 26 with 1567 viewsDorsetIan

People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 08:21 - Apr 26 by SaintNick

The problems this season have largely been due to the injury crisis that has seen key players out of action for long periods of time.

I disagree.

After his abysmal performance in the Spurs game, I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that Ralph's team selection and management of the team over the 90 minutes of a game have been responsible for a lot of our issues since January.

And the injuries wouldn't have mattered so much if the squad hadn't been so diminished.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

I tell you what on 11:30 - Apr 26 with 1531 viewsVeloSaint

injury crisis and the frequency of games Dec thru Feb. Only a fool would say they're not major reasons for our form slump. Problem is post players coming back we've seen only brief glimpses of the form from earlier in the season. It's a major issue for RH and he's not helped himself either. Needs to end the season positively, will be interesting to see if he takes some bold decisions to drop senior players who seem unlikely to be here next season.
I tell you what on 11:37 - Apr 26 with 1522 viewsButty101

Form over the last 15 games

16 Burnley 17
17 WBA 16
18 Fulham 15
19 Sheff Utd 12
20 Southampton 7

Anyone that thinks this is just down to injuries dosent have a clue frankly.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

I tell you what on 12:29 - Apr 26 with 1483 viewsDorsetIan

I tell you what on 11:37 - Apr 26 by Butty101

Form over the last 15 games

16 Burnley 17
17 WBA 16
18 Fulham 15
19 Sheff Utd 12
20 Southampton 7

Anyone that thinks this is just down to injuries dosent have a clue frankly.

Yes, the form hasn't just been bad, it's been appalling.

It's difficult to make comparisons, but 7 points from 15 games equates to about 17/18 over a 38 game season, and in its entire history only 5 teams have managed fewer than 20 points across a premier league season.

People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 13:02 - Apr 26 with 1443 viewssaint22

People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 08:21 - Apr 26 by SaintNick

I disagree
5 games ago yes but we have had a full squad to choose from bar Romeu for how many games now, 4, 5? And we still can't buy a win
For all those who say if we cant win another game we deserve to go down, then I say yes, exactly when did we last win a game..........Burnley aside
Fulham and Palace we should beat but lets see
It all smacks of we are too good to go but there is always one side who thinks that
People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 13:50 - Apr 26 with 1396 viewswashington_saint

People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 13:02 - Apr 26 by saint22

I disagree
5 games ago yes but we have had a full squad to choose from bar Romeu for how many games now, 4, 5? And we still can't buy a win
For all those who say if we cant win another game we deserve to go down, then I say yes, exactly when did we last win a game..........Burnley aside
Fulham and Palace we should beat but lets see
It all smacks of we are too good to go but there is always one side who thinks that

What an idiotic comment - "when did we last win a game Burnley aside". You just answered your own question. But to play your game, 2 games before Burnley against Sheffield Utd. Or would you like to discount this result too?

Our form is terrible and performances suck.....that's Saints in a nutshell. I am very concerned about next season as typically teams that end a season badly continue that into the next season (Sheff Utd this year).

This is where we see if Ralph is a good manager or is as poor as he appears to be this year (2021). Folks have to remember this squad is, largely, the same squad we had under Pellegrino and Hughes and they are mentally very fragile with little backbone.

For one, if possible, I'd like to see Redmond, Lemina, Hoedt, Elyounoussi, Bertrand all go once and for all this summer. If we can get decent money for Ings and Vestegaard that allows us to get in 4 additional players (bargain basement) that would also help.
People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 14:14 - Apr 26 with 1377 viewssaint22

People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 13:50 - Apr 26 by washington_saint

What an idiotic comment - "when did we last win a game Burnley aside". You just answered your own question. But to play your game, 2 games before Burnley against Sheffield Utd. Or would you like to discount this result too?

Our form is terrible and performances suck.....that's Saints in a nutshell. I am very concerned about next season as typically teams that end a season badly continue that into the next season (Sheff Utd this year).

This is where we see if Ralph is a good manager or is as poor as he appears to be this year (2021). Folks have to remember this squad is, largely, the same squad we had under Pellegrino and Hughes and they are mentally very fragile with little backbone.

For one, if possible, I'd like to see Redmond, Lemina, Hoedt, Elyounoussi, Bertrand all go once and for all this summer. If we can get decent money for Ings and Vestegaard that allows us to get in 4 additional players (bargain basement) that would also help.

Ok point taken BUT our failure to beat brighton and WBA is more worrying dont you think?
People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 14:26 - Apr 26 with 1370 viewsDorsetIan

People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 13:50 - Apr 26 by washington_saint

Replacing Ings and Vertegaard with 4 bargain basement players, and assuming we've lost Redmond and Bertrand too, is going to leave us with a Championship side. Or, at best, a continuing downward trajectory.

We've needed more ambition from the club for the last couple of seasons. My feeling is that this summer we're in the last chance saloon in terms of deciding whether this club wants to start improving again, and investing accordingly.

People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 20:50 - Apr 27 with 1158 viewskernow

People keep trying to resurrect a relegation thread but it's no longer realistic on 14:26 - Apr 26 by DorsetIan

Replacing Ings and Vertegaard with 4 bargain basement players, and assuming we've lost Redmond and Bertrand too, is going to leave us with a Championship side. Or, at best, a continuing downward trajectory.

We've needed more ambition from the club for the last couple of seasons. My feeling is that this summer we're in the last chance saloon in terms of deciding whether this club wants to start improving again, and investing accordingly.

This downward trajectory is not unfamiliar.
Would prefer to see and support honest, hungry professionals than "stars" who are just cruising.
With a few exceptions, in the last 10 years, recruitment at Saints has been of a standard well below requirements.
I remember a time when we signed players who actually improved the team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024