Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Player sponsorship 14:12 - May 15 with 21300 viewsscooby

Just had my shirt through from my player sponsor this year. Interestingly they will be increasing the price of sponsorship to £500+vat… I won’t be partaking this year not as things currently stand.

Wonder what else is going to increase in price?
Player sponsorship on 11:34 - May 20 with 2726 viewsZac_B

That Twitter exchange is very strange.

The social media policy in general seems a little odd. I recall Dave Sweetmore's temporary replacement being told to ask his partner to not swear on her personal Twitter account. He was also asked by a current director to not 'tag' himself at The Cem as people should be drinking in his own establishments and not in there.
Player sponsorship on 12:12 - May 20 with 2617 viewsShun

Player sponsorship on 11:04 - May 20 by DaleiLama

A few disgruntled trolls? The vote of confidence poll has 109 wanting a new CEO and 1 wanting him(self?) to stay. I imagine the 109 would be higher if the poll was pinned (not a criticism) but it has now slipped to p4 so may not be seen by posters who visit infrequently. If anyone at the club thinks "a few" fans are currently disgruntled, then that view is even more ostrich-like than already feared. It would not come as a surprise either.

I did wonder this. The club are obviously adopting a siege mentality at the moment against what they perceive as a few pesky fans. I suspect they genuinely believe the vast majority of fans are fully behind them, and that the dissenting voices are coming from a small minority.
Player sponsorship on 12:17 - May 20 with 2599 viewsJames1980

I've heard first hand what a certain person thinks of this site and some of the stuff posted on it.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Player sponsorship on 12:35 - May 20 with 2524 viewsD_Alien

Player sponsorship on 12:12 - May 20 by Shun

I did wonder this. The club are obviously adopting a siege mentality at the moment against what they perceive as a few pesky fans. I suspect they genuinely believe the vast majority of fans are fully behind them, and that the dissenting voices are coming from a small minority.

That may have been the case in the past, even until quite recently, but surely the challenges made to the Board at the EGM by the Dale Trust completely quash any such notion?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Player sponsorship on 12:42 - May 20 with 2491 viewsShun

Player sponsorship on 12:35 - May 20 by D_Alien

That may have been the case in the past, even until quite recently, but surely the challenges made to the Board at the EGM by the Dale Trust completely quash any such notion?

I would hope so, DA, but it depends how deep in the ground their heads are!
Player sponsorship on 12:49 - May 20 with 2470 viewsD_Alien

Player sponsorship on 12:42 - May 20 by Shun

True

A more apt name for the boardroom might be The Bunker *

*derivative puns allowed

Player sponsorship on 12:53 - May 20 with 2451 viewsJames1980

Player sponsorship on 12:42 - May 20 by Shun

And also how a certain individual 'really' sees the trust.

Player sponsorship on 13:00 - May 20 with 2426 viewsBrierls

Player sponsorship on 22:23 - May 19 by CockneyDale

I agree - there are definitely more important concerns to be raised at the AGM/EGM. I also agree that Frances is in a role under difficult circumstances, though that is far from a unique situation.

It was just a simple reply to an ongoing conversation and I had no idea or intention that it would blow up in the way it has. Thank you for all the unsolicited (emphasised, lest anyone should accuse me of encouraging replies) support I received on twitter and on here. I can count on one hand the number of you I know in any way in real life, so this was very much appreciated.

It didn't need to blow up. I identified myself as a sponsor in my initial tweet and my full name is there for all to see on my twitter account. It felt disrespectful to be told by Frances she has no idea who I was, so of course I explained. I wouldn't expect Frances to necessarily remember the name of every person she deals with over the course of a week, but it would have been so much easier and caused much less fuss for her to simply type my name into her inbox or sent items and inform herself. The further denials were dismissive, inflammatory, unnecessary and only added insult to injury. I'm far from a major sponsor and certainly don't want to be fawned over, as so someone made mention somewhere, but a little respect would go a long way. I hadn't intended to share my letter as I didn't expect it to be necessary, but even when faced with a photo of it she dismissively accused me of harassing her: I was only trying to prove my identity in the face of her repeated denials.

To be accused of being a troll was just bizarre. I was only polite and not offensive: all my tweets are still there to be read. Frances herself created the conversation by replying to a tweet that did not mention the club, did not tag the club, did not mention her and did not tag her. For those not familiar with Twitter, she must have actively sought out this tweet and then chose to respond to it. In short, she initiated the conversation. Frances did ask me to stop and I acknowledge that I did, but then when she continued replying to other people, replied again.

The actual issue raised by my tweet and by those already in the conversation with Frances is concerning to me, as it speaks to an attitude towards fans and sponsors alike. As all have now seen, the letter from the Club clearly states that the player sponsorship package has increased in price, specifically due to the sponsor's logo on the scoreboard. There is no mention of there being levels of sponsorship: it is simply 'this is the new price and this is why'. When asked about the price rise, Frances wrote "The details of our player sponsorship packages will be advertised soon. We have simply informed existing customers of the additional package" and in another tweet "There are different levels of sponsorship, we haven't even announced them yet." To not mention to existing sponsors that there are going to be other packages that don't involve a 42% increase in cost - seemingly in the hope that they'll pay for them anyway - is disingenuous at best and deceitful at worst. This is what concerns me - it is disrespectful towards those who support the Club financially. It is also short-termist as anyone who had paid the £500+VAT and then later felt they had been misled when other packages are subsequently announced would, I doubt, be inclined to dip their hands in their pocket the following year.

Frances described this as "upselling" in a since-deleted tweet. It is not. Upselling is when the customer has the option to remain purchasing the same item, but one tries to encourage them to buy something further in addition. What we are seeing here is simply putting the price up, justified by adding something to the package. As presented in the Club's letter, there is no alternative. To find otherwise, in Frances' tweets, is galling.

I don't wish a pile-on on anyone. Sadly, I don't expect an apology from the Club for calling me a troll and insulting me and my support (though it would be welcome). What I look forward to is happier times for our Club.

Up The Dale!

Cracking post and summary.

I didn't necessarily take issue with the price increase, what annoyed me was the very deliberate attempt at covering up and backtracking on the renewal correspondence balls up.

It should have been so simple to rectify; say "we sent out the renewal and didn't make it clear there would be a 'like for like' sponsorship offering. We'll be in contact with sponsors to clarify". Done. No issue.

It's clear for all to see (unless you've been blocked for calling it out) the route that Frances took when challenged.

What came after was a disgrace. Accusations of trolling and harassment? There is no excuse for that.
Login to get fewer ads

Player sponsorship on 13:25 - May 20 with 2359 views49thseason

Just had a quick look on the Clubs website to see what advertising packages are available.
1. It still talks about the 8000 Gold Bond results sheets,
2. There is no mention of the screen
3. It refers to the weekly Enewsletter as having 5000 recipients...really?
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/commercial/advertising-opportunities/

There is a separate section which offers player sponsorship for £350 + VAT!

This is low rent stuff to say the least and smacks of laziness at best and incompetence at worst.
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/commercial/match-sponsorship/
Player sponsorship on 13:26 - May 20 with 2356 viewsShun

The Frances debacle to me looked like someone who simply didn’t realise how Twitter works. Not withstanding CockneyDale’s point that she must have actively sought out the original post, it looked like she didn’t realise why she was getting so many notifications, not realising that each time someone replies she gets a notification as her name is automatically tagged in it.

Certainly no excuse for a club director to be accusing customers (and CockneyDale especially was nothing but polite) of trolling, but I imagine if my mum had a load of notifications all at once from people on social media commenting to her she might be a little perturbed.
Player sponsorship on 13:56 - May 20 with 2293 viewsD_Alien

Player sponsorship on 13:26 - May 20 by Shun

The Frances debacle to me looked like someone who simply didn’t realise how Twitter works. Not withstanding CockneyDale’s point that she must have actively sought out the original post, it looked like she didn’t realise why she was getting so many notifications, not realising that each time someone replies she gets a notification as her name is automatically tagged in it.

Certainly no excuse for a club director to be accusing customers (and CockneyDale especially was nothing but polite) of trolling, but I imagine if my mum had a load of notifications all at once from people on social media commenting to her she might be a little perturbed.

Again, there may well be some truth in that, but if you think about it, it's a further indictment of someone who joined the club in the role of Marketing Manager and achieved Director status on the back of it

For someone in that role to be so ignorant (if true) of how social media works would be a dereliction of their professional status

My own instinct is to think she's simply become embroiled in the bunker mentality, which is just sad for someone who's always come across as being an asset to Dale

[Post edited 20 May 2021 14:09]

Player sponsorship on 14:47 - May 20 with 2170 viewsRalphs12

Player sponsorship on 13:00 - May 20 by Brierls

Cracking post and summary.

I didn't necessarily take issue with the price increase, what annoyed me was the very deliberate attempt at covering up and backtracking on the renewal correspondence balls up.

It should have been so simple to rectify; say "we sent out the renewal and didn't make it clear there would be a 'like for like' sponsorship offering. We'll be in contact with sponsors to clarify". Done. No issue.

It's clear for all to see (unless you've been blocked for calling it out) the route that Frances took when challenged.

What came after was a disgrace. Accusations of trolling and harassment? There is no excuse for that.

Agree with your thoughts on the price. I don’t really care all that much it’s gone up. What I do care about is the “upselling” and others may have handled Frances responses differently to myself. But to me upselling is something a car salesman does. The people who sponsor the players shouldn’t be treated as a cash cow that only when they question the price are the other “Lower priced, not yet announced” options get discussed. The fact she then plays the hand she did with Cockney Dale just summed up everything wrong with the club at the minute. Fair play to him for his handling of the situation - maybe those at the club could learn a thing or two from him.
Player sponsorship on 15:57 - May 20 with 2063 viewsShun

Player sponsorship on 13:56 - May 20 by D_Alien

Again, there may well be some truth in that, but if you think about it, it's a further indictment of someone who joined the club in the role of Marketing Manager and achieved Director status on the back of it

For someone in that role to be so ignorant (if true) of how social media works would be a dereliction of their professional status

My own instinct is to think she's simply become embroiled in the bunker mentality, which is just sad for someone who's always come across as being an asset to Dale

[Post edited 20 May 2021 14:09]

I completely agree! And I also agree that she’s always previously come across very well and seemed to be one of the shining lights of the club.
Player sponsorship on 16:23 - May 20 with 2021 viewsblackdogblue

Player sponsorship on 11:09 - May 20 by D_Alien

The club employs a Media Officer, Greg Jones

If he's any good, wouldn't he be the obvious person to operate the scoreboard. Most of the content would be pre-programmed prior to match day. No doubt someone will point out he's got 'other duties' (e.g. the club's Twitter account) as if someone in that role shouldn't easily be capable of multi-tasking as second nature these days; or simply prioritise the scoreboard

Its unconscionable of the club that a huge positive from Cloughie's legacy has turned into a bone of contention, and entirely unnecessary. Imo, a further nail in the coffin of current leadership; i hope they're reading this

What happened to Leanne? Still on Mat Leave?

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Player sponsorship on 16:29 - May 20 with 2010 viewsDalenet

Player sponsorship on 09:14 - May 20 by judd

Forgive my ignorance, but that sounds like we bought a car without realising we needed to pay for the fuel.

Why don't we approach Hopwood Hall media students to operate it?

Yes I agree and had suggested earlier in another thread that a volunteer could do this. But it seems we have decided to turn the score board into a commercial opportunity that will go beyond the role of showing the score. So lets see how this pans out
Player sponsorship on 16:44 - May 20 with 1980 viewsfunkkk

Player sponsorship on 12:17 - May 20 by James1980

I've heard first hand what a certain person thinks of this site and some of the stuff posted on it.

That’s nice for you, are you going to share it?
Player sponsorship on 16:51 - May 20 with 1952 viewsTVOS1907

Player sponsorship on 16:23 - May 20 by blackdogblue

What happened to Leanne? Still on Mat Leave?

No, Leighanne has been back for a while.

She is the Media Manager, Greg is the Media Officer.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Player sponsorship on 16:55 - May 20 with 1952 viewsJames1980

Player sponsorship on 16:44 - May 20 by funkkk

That’s nice for you, are you going to share it?

Lawyers were mentioned.

Player sponsorship on 17:02 - May 20 with 1936 viewsncfc_chalky

Player sponsorship on 12:17 - May 20 by James1980

Bloody hell,are they even talking about it in Lewes James? 😮

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Player sponsorship on 17:12 - May 20 with 1918 viewsfermin

I am not sure what is wrong with using the scoreboard for commercial purposes. It would be a waste not to do so in some way. Other clubs do it after all. I hope it really is visible from the WMG and Sandy Lane apart from those sitting/standing towards that end. I sit in the middle of the WMG and I wonder what difference the angle I am to the scoreboard will make to what I can actually see (assuming I ever get back there). Is it going to be a similar size to that revolving one we had on a temporary basis or the one at Fleetwood, for example?

While the communications on player sponsorship have been less than helpful, I don't see why it is thought the extra money is being raised specifically to pay for a part-time scoreboard operator rather than just used to boost our rather parlous general finances.
Player sponsorship on 17:55 - May 20 with 1860 viewsjacko_dale

Player sponsorship on 13:26 - May 20 by Shun

If our marketing manager doesn't know how Twitter works then I'd say the person who hired her needs to take a good look at themselves, then again this is Rochdale AFC in 2021 we're talking about!
Player sponsorship on 17:58 - May 20 with 1841 views49thseason

The scoreboard is a free hit in revenue terms, no purchase cost and little overhead cost, the trick is to get people to advertise on it and prove the concept. Longer term they should be looking to put a large advertising screen onto the road side of of the Sandy Lane stand and another on the gable end of the Westrose Leisure stand. This is income 365 days a year. Digital perimeter advertising is also worth looking at in preference to the banners at the back of stands an in front of the perimeter walls, again the overhead is less as there is no printing / signwriting requirement and adverts can be sold for shorter time periods as well as a whole season. Digital signage is getting cheaper and cheaper, you can buy quite a lot for what was spent on sanitiser and stickers this year.
Player sponsorship on 20:02 - May 20 with 1643 viewsJames1980

Player sponsorship on 17:02 - May 20 by ncfc_chalky

Bloody hell,are they even talking about it in Lewes James? 😮

Not quite that far south Chalky 😉

Player sponsorship on 20:21 - May 20 with 1612 viewsblackdogblue

Player sponsorship on 16:55 - May 20 by James1980

Lawyers were mentioned.

Hmmm.. so much in fighting, club & forum at times...

I remember the Church Inn next to the club as used to frequent very often before it was flattened for housing... should we all suggest the same for Spotland Stadium & have done with it?

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Player sponsorship on 11:32 - Jul 8 with 1002 views100notout

Just noticed this
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/july/playersponsorshippackages_2021-22/

Not sure what a "reduced package is"??????

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024