Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We should be attacking teams like wolves 20:23 - Sep 26 with 1448 views1teeminants

Too bloody negative today. we were solid against West Ham ,United and city I understand that but why were we so scared to attack Wolves ffs I just don’t get it. Livramento didn’t hardly cross the halfway line. What’s all that about ?

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 20:29 - Sep 26 with 1426 viewsgrumpy

The problem has to be more off the pitch than on it.
We should be attacking teams like wolves on 20:36 - Sep 26 with 1416 viewsdirk_doone

We did attack them but there was no end product.We got to Wolves' penalty area a lot more than they did to ours. I don't know if it's lack of ability, lack of confidence or both which is stopping Adams, Armstrong, Redmond, Djenepo et al being effective once they get to the penalty area but it's not because the team weren't attacking it.

As for Livramento, he tweaked a hamstring very early in the game. He couldn't even run for a while after that and I expected him to be subbed but he soldiered on. I was surprised how well he did under the circumstances but he understandably lacked a bit of pace and wasn't able to make his usual long runs.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 20:41]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 20:37 - Sep 26 with 1415 views1teeminants

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 20:29 - Sep 26 by grumpy

The problem has to be more off the pitch than on it.

Nathan Tella should be given the ok to run riot against Wolves not sat on the bench getting splinters in his arse . Livramento and Tella should be tearing Wolves to pieces, what a boring negative approach. Very disappointed. Please don’t say we havent got the players because we have. .

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 20:41 - Sep 26 with 1397 views1teeminants

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 20:36 - Sep 26 by dirk_doone

We did attack them but there was no end product.We got to Wolves' penalty area a lot more than they did to ours. I don't know if it's lack of ability, lack of confidence or both which is stopping Adams, Armstrong, Redmond, Djenepo et al being effective once they get to the penalty area but it's not because the team weren't attacking it.

As for Livramento, he tweaked a hamstring very early in the game. He couldn't even run for a while after that and I expected him to be subbed but he soldiered on. I was surprised how well he did under the circumstances but he understandably lacked a bit of pace and wasn't able to make his usual long runs.

Livramento hardly broke sweat ffs

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 20:44 - Sep 26 with 1388 viewsdirk_doone

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 20:41 - Sep 26 by 1teeminants

He most certainly did. He was in quite a lot of pain. He picked up that injury very early in the game and he probably should have been subbed immediately. He was limping and hobbling and after every run he was touching his toes as he seemed to think that would help but Ralph left him out there and Tino obviously thought he was doing the right thing by soldiering on. A more experienced player would probably have put his hand up and asked to be subbed. I was amazed when he came out for the second half but the physios must have worked on him at half-time because he was able to run a bit more but clearly not the same as when he's 100% fit. You can't blame him for that.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 21:00]

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 21:35 - Sep 26 with 1302 viewsPatfromPoole

Completely agree with the OP.

Not for the first time, Ralph is moving away from a vibrant attacking style of football and is morphing into Puel.

Puel had better tools to work with. However, much more of this and Ralph will completely lose the fans. If he hasn’t already.

Three points thrown away today. I think next Saturday could be his last game.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 21:46 - Sep 26 with 1294 viewsBicester_North

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 21:35 - Sep 26 by PatfromPoole

Not for the first time, Ralph is moving away from a vibrant attacking style of football and is morphing into Puel.

Puel had better tools to work with. However, much more of this and Ralph will completely lose the fans. If he hasn’t already.

But in the vibrant attacking style of football previously we were getting caned in the second half of most matches anyway.

As Dirk said, we had far more chances than Wolves, it’s the forwards not doing anything with the chances that f*cks us.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 23:08 - Sep 26 with 1236 viewsDorsetIan

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 21:46 - Sep 26 by Bicester_North

But in the vibrant attacking style of football previously we were getting caned in the second half of most matches anyway.

As Dirk said, we had far more chances than Wolves, it’s the forwards not doing anything with the chances that f*cks us.

Agree with this. The defence has shown in recent games that it can be solid. And today it was only caught out by a long ball and a determined striker. Rest of the time it was fine.

But the forward players are all not quite good enough. Question for me is can any of them improve? I’d say...

Redmond - unlikely, IMO his weaknesses are the same as when he joined.
Djenepo - maybe, but only because he’s young. I still think he lacks some fundamental footballing skills, but if he can fart about a bit less, who knows.
Ely - yes, he improved at Celtic and I think he can still deliver more.
Adams and Armstrong?? I think they both can, but they need to do it quickly now. They are still getting used to each other, and Armstrong to the team and the premier league.
Broja - yes, he‘s very young.

So, I’m not entirely depressed by our prospects.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Login to get fewer ads

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 23:24 - Sep 26 with 1225 viewsdirk_doone

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 23:08 - Sep 26 by DorsetIan

Agree with this. The defence has shown in recent games that it can be solid. And today it was only caught out by a long ball and a determined striker. Rest of the time it was fine.

But the forward players are all not quite good enough. Question for me is can any of them improve? I’d say...

Redmond - unlikely, IMO his weaknesses are the same as when he joined.
Djenepo - maybe, but only because he’s young. I still think he lacks some fundamental footballing skills, but if he can fart about a bit less, who knows.
Ely - yes, he improved at Celtic and I think he can still deliver more.
Adams and Armstrong?? I think they both can, but they need to do it quickly now. They are still getting used to each other, and Armstrong to the team and the premier league.
Broja - yes, he‘s very young.

So, I’m not entirely depressed by our prospects.

Top teams' strikers always aim for the corners of the net so they can score goals; ours aim for the middle of the goal so at least they get their shots on target. There's a clear lack of confidence in the shooting skills of our strikers from whoever is coaching them. But, until they start aiming for the corners of the net, even if some of their shots go wide, they are not going to score goals.

As for 1 on 1 situations, our strikers always shoot straight at the goalkeeper. They should be made to watch Jimmy Greaves goal videos to be shown how to take the ball round them or Aguero's to see how to chip it over them.

Somebody at the club should be teaching them the basics of how to beat a goalkeeper and at the moment that obviously isn't happening.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 23:31]

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 23:31 - Sep 26 with 1212 viewsDorsetIan

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 23:24 - Sep 26 by dirk_doone

Top teams' strikers always aim for the corners of the net so they can score goals; ours aim for the middle of the goal so at least they get their shots on target. There's a clear lack of confidence in the shooting skills of our strikers from whoever is coaching them. But, until they start aiming for the corners of the net, even if some of their shots go wide, they are not going to score goals.

As for 1 on 1 situations, our strikers always shoot straight at the goalkeeper. They should be made to watch Jimmy Greaves goal videos to be shown how to take the ball round them or Aguero's to see how to chip it over them.

Somebody at the club should be teaching them the basics of how to beat a goalkeeper and at the moment that obviously isn't happening.

Much of it is rushing their shots. They were given a lesson in composed finishing today.

Wolves defended well too though. On a number of occasions they weren’t given any time to even get their shots away.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 23:42 - Sep 26 with 1201 viewsdirk_doone

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 23:31 - Sep 26 by DorsetIan

Much of it is rushing their shots. They were given a lesson in composed finishing today.

Wolves defended well too though. On a number of occasions they weren’t given any time to even get their shots away.

I've seen enough of them to know that they are aiming for the centre of the goal, not the corners.

For a while when Danny Ings was through 1 on 1 with goalkeepers, he concentrated on nutmegging them which is a very difficult skill. He scored a few goals that way but once opposition goalkeepers got used to it, he changed to taking it wide of them. Our current strikers don't have that level of skill. They aim roughly at the centre of the goal where the goalkeeper is and hope that he won't stop it, which in the Championship they could get away with. Premier League goalkeepers are too good for that.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 23:47]

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 23:43 - Sep 26 with 1201 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 21:35 - Sep 26 by PatfromPoole

But who comes in? I'm completely unaware of anyone competent who could do better ...

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 23:58 - Sep 26 with 1184 viewsdirk_doone

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 23:43 - Sep 26 by Gennaro_Contaldo

But who comes in? I'm completely unaware of anyone competent who could do better ...

That is a very good point. As we've seen in the past, it's usually a case of out of the frying pan into the fire, which is why I'm very reluctant to ever call for a manager's sacking as the next one is usually worse.

Ralph clearly needs a better coaching team though. The club currently has one of the worst sets of coaches at first team, B Team and Academy levels, that it's ever had: a legacy of the amateurish jobs for the boys approach.

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 07:59 - Sep 27 with 1064 views1teeminants

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 20:36 - Sep 26 by dirk_doone

Leaving Tella out and the handling of this young lad is a disgrace . I’m amazed that many on here don’t mention it. Have people forgotten what he was like last season ? He ran at players at will often beating them with his pace ,often shooting on goal, good passing and scoring now and again which is a damn site better than the other lot we have up front. It’s time to give Tella a run out , ok maybe not Chelsea away but after that .

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 08:17 - Sep 27 with 1030 viewsHeisenberg

Armstrong and Che Adams are Championship players. Jimenez is a class top Premier league striker. It’s not rocket science. Our team isn’t good enough.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 08:22 - Sep 27 with 1024 viewsMrangry25

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 07:59 - Sep 27 by 1teeminants

Leaving Tella out and the handling of this young lad is a disgrace . I’m amazed that many on here don’t mention it. Have people forgotten what he was like last season ? He ran at players at will often beating them with his pace ,often shooting on goal, good passing and scoring now and again which is a damn site better than the other lot we have up front. It’s time to give Tella a run out , ok maybe not Chelsea away but after that .

why not play him against Chelsea, as you said he has pace and tbf he can beat most defenders, but he has to be given the chance, swap him for Redmond who quite frankly is bl**dy useless and has been since day 1. Put KWP back to right back move Livermento up in front of him, play our new LB signing, tell Romeu to stop pi**ing around with it he has no pace, Bednareck to stop trying to get in-front when he is last man, start to play the ball into the feet of our front two instead of at their heads and I think we stand a good chance. We do have a team but RH has to play it.
We should be attacking teams like wolves on 09:11 - Sep 27 with 981 viewsSadoldgit

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 20:41 - Sep 26 by 1teeminants

He had a couple of our best chances and was involved in plenty of attacks.
We did attack them on 119 occasions with 18 attempts on goal. Our problem yesterday as admitted by Ralph were the choices made when we got into good positions.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 9:14]
We should be attacking teams like wolves on 09:29 - Sep 27 with 960 viewsSonicBoom

That really is the key. We played fairly well but we still have a basic lack of creativity.
Redmond, Djenepo, Elyounoussi, JWP, and Romeu all played across the midfield at some point and to be frank, they are simply not the most creative.

When we get to the edge of the box we seem to lack any ideas or spark. It was dispiriting to see us resort to crossing it hopefully into the box. Who have we got that can head it? Broja maybe but certainly not Adams or Armstrong.
Djenepo and Redmond do get stick and I get they try but they just don't have the quality. Redmond barely gets by his man and his final shot or ball if often well...frankly pathetic. Djenepo just seems to run around circles and again lacks any sort of final ball.

And that goal. Dear me. Bednarek was trying to grapple with Jiminez but just gets brushed off. Then he comically panics and slides straight across him again leaving a simple tap in. And in between that Salisu moves across to cover and then trips over and lands on his ass when Jiminez came inside. Comical defending.

Oh and I'm with everyone else. At the end Ralph brings on Long. A player renowned for his inability to finish and one we have loaned out to the lower league. What did Ralph expect to happen ??

It was a very frustrating performance because for long periods we looked comfortable and Wolves were there for the taking. We just had no idea how to do it when we got near their box.
We should be attacking teams like wolves on 09:33 - Sep 27 with 956 viewsdirk_doone

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 09:29 - Sep 27 by SonicBoom

That really is the key. We played fairly well but we still have a basic lack of creativity.
Redmond, Djenepo, Elyounoussi, JWP, and Romeu all played across the midfield at some point and to be frank, they are simply not the most creative.

When we get to the edge of the box we seem to lack any ideas or spark. It was dispiriting to see us resort to crossing it hopefully into the box. Who have we got that can head it? Broja maybe but certainly not Adams or Armstrong.
Djenepo and Redmond do get stick and I get they try but they just don't have the quality. Redmond barely gets by his man and his final shot or ball if often well...frankly pathetic. Djenepo just seems to run around circles and again lacks any sort of final ball.

And that goal. Dear me. Bednarek was trying to grapple with Jiminez but just gets brushed off. Then he comically panics and slides straight across him again leaving a simple tap in. And in between that Salisu moves across to cover and then trips over and lands on his ass when Jiminez came inside. Comical defending.

Oh and I'm with everyone else. At the end Ralph brings on Long. A player renowned for his inability to finish and one we have loaned out to the lower league. What did Ralph expect to happen ??

It was a very frustrating performance because for long periods we looked comfortable and Wolves were there for the taking. We just had no idea how to do it when we got near their box.

We have a tradition of rewarding players like Long that no other clubs want. He'll probably end up coaching our strikers.

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 10:15 - Sep 27 with 927 viewsBerber

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 23:24 - Sep 26 by dirk_doone

A good point about shooting for the corners, that was is one of Ings strengths. dare I say it, Redmond usually shoots for one side or the other, even if usually too high.

I am not sure if that skill is in Adam's game. Most of his goals for Birmingham were scruffy strikes, which is fine so long as they go in. His first pre season with us, folk got excited that he was scoring, but they didn't look like they were really intentional.

When strikers (including Armstrong) keep whacking it close to the keeper, it is usually because they lack confidence and must surely be thinking, "If I get it on target, I can't get hammered."
We should be attacking teams like wolves on 10:18 - Sep 27 with 921 viewsBerber

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 09:29 - Sep 27 by SonicBoom

I agree pretty much with everything, and 100% with your last paragraph.
We should be attacking teams like wolves on 10:24 - Sep 27 with 916 viewsdirk_doone

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 10:15 - Sep 27 by Berber

A good point about shooting for the corners, that was is one of Ings strengths. dare I say it, Redmond usually shoots for one side or the other, even if usually too high.

I am not sure if that skill is in Adam's game. Most of his goals for Birmingham were scruffy strikes, which is fine so long as they go in. His first pre season with us, folk got excited that he was scoring, but they didn't look like they were really intentional.

When strikers (including Armstrong) keep whacking it close to the keeper, it is usually because they lack confidence and must surely be thinking, "If I get it on target, I can't get hammered."

"When strikers (including Armstrong) keep whacking it close to the keeper, it is usually because they lack confidence and must surely be thinking, "If I get it on target, I can't get hammered."

I agree. I watched a few other games this weekend and it was noticeable that if top strikers like Kane missed, it was usually just wide of the post or hitting it. With ours if it's on target at all, it's usually hitting the goalkeeper because they are aiming for the middle of the goal, not the corners. There is also a reluctance from many of our players to risk taking a shot at all, presumably because they are afraid of being criticised if they miss. One of the classic things you see from Saints midfielders is a run into the box until a shooting opportunity presents itself and then instead of shooting, the player turns back round and runs out of the box again. Djenepo does that a lot.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 11:24]

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 11:22 - Sep 27 with 874 views1teeminants

We should be attacking teams like wolves on 09:11 - Sep 27 by Sadoldgit

He had a couple of our best chances and was involved in plenty of attacks.
We did attack them on 119 occasions with 18 attempts on goal. Our problem yesterday as admitted by Ralph were the choices made when we got into good positions.
[Post edited 27 Sep 2021 9:14]

Yes but in previous games he has been bombing up and down the wing he only did that a few times yesterday.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024