Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great Support Again On Saturday 22:59 - Oct 17 with 3100 viewsSaintNick

Got to say it was great to see a virtually full house and the support was loud again lets hope we can keep it up on and off the pitch for Burnley

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Great Support Again On Saturday on 14:26 - Oct 18 with 1199 viewssaints__fan__73

Great Support Again On Saturday on 23:18 - Oct 17 by SaintNick

If we want to progress then we need the supporters to turn up every week in numbers and be loud whether the team are playing well or not.

If we want the supporters to turn up every week in numbers and be loud the team/owners need to progress.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Great Support Again On Saturday on 14:38 - Oct 18 with 1175 viewsSaintNick

Great Support Again On Saturday on 14:26 - Oct 18 by saints__fan__73

If we want the supporters to turn up every week in numbers and be loud the team/owners need to progress.

Many other teams have had teams in worse positions than us yet they have still turned up in numbers, Everton, West Ham, Brighton & Newcastle to name but 4 have finished below us in the past couple of years yet have had bigger average attendances, they don't demand money being spent as the requisite of their support.

Why should we be different

Great Support Again On Saturday on 14:43 - Oct 18 with 1173 viewsSaintsforeverj

Great Support Again On Saturday on 14:38 - Oct 18 by SaintNick

Many other teams have had teams in worse positions than us yet they have still turned up in numbers, Everton, West Ham, Brighton & Newcastle to name but 4 have finished below us in the past couple of years yet have had bigger average attendances, they don't demand money being spent as the requisite of their support.

Are you purposely talking absolute nonsense? They don't demand money being spent as the requisite of their support!!!!

Would you like me to post clips of West Ham fans storming the directors box due to lack of investment? Or Newcastle fans with banners about investment? Newcastle 10 000 fans down because of their owners, who in fact spent more than us? Everton fans booing Koeman and every manager since? These are fans moaning when they have won much more than us, spent much more than us and they still sit there in silence and boo. You really are taking the p1ss. Trying to down our fans on our own fans forum is very strange.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 14:47]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Great Support Again On Saturday on 14:45 - Oct 18 with 1169 viewsSaintNick

Great Support Again On Saturday on 14:43 - Oct 18 by Saintsforeverj

Are you purposely talking absolute nonsense? They don't demand money being spent as the requisite of their support!!!!

Would you like me to post clips of West Ham fans storming the directors box due to lack of investment? Or Newcastle fans with banners about investment? Newcastle 10 000 fans down because of their owners, who in fact spent more than us? Everton fans booing Koeman and every manager since? These are fans moaning when they have won much more than us, spent much more than us and they still sit there in silence and boo. You really are taking the p1ss. Trying to down our fans on our own fans forum is very strange.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 14:47]

Two salient points here.

1. they still turn up in greater numbers

2. they had the passion to actually do something other than moan about their club on message boards

Great Support Again On Saturday on 14:49 - Oct 18 with 1162 viewsSaintsforeverj

Great Support Again On Saturday on 14:45 - Oct 18 by SaintNick

Two salient points here.

1. they still turn up in greater numbers

2. they had the passion to actually do something other than moan about their club on message boards

They have much bigger fan bases, it not difficult to understand that is it? You might as well say why don't Bolton, Wigan, West Brom, Watford, Burnley turn up in bigger numbers. They have less fans!!!

Great Support Again On Saturday on 15:02 - Oct 18 with 1140 viewsSaintNick

Great Support Again On Saturday on 14:49 - Oct 18 by Saintsforeverj

They have much bigger fan bases, it not difficult to understand that is it? You might as well say why don't Bolton, Wigan, West Brom, Watford, Burnley turn up in bigger numbers. They have less fans!!!

Brighton dont have a bigger fan base than us, the rest do but relatively speaking Newcastle aside Everton & West Ham have still kept the same levels as support.

But I dont have aspirations to be Bolton, Wigan, West Brom, Watford, Burnley, I want to see us fill our stadium, how can we expect an owner to put his hand in his pocket if those supporting the club aren't willing to do so

Great Support Again On Saturday on 15:11 - Oct 18 with 1138 viewsSaintsforeverj

Great Support Again On Saturday on 15:02 - Oct 18 by SaintNick

Brighton dont have a bigger fan base than us, the rest do but relatively speaking Newcastle aside Everton & West Ham have still kept the same levels as support.

But I dont have aspirations to be Bolton, Wigan, West Brom, Watford, Burnley, I want to see us fill our stadium, how can we expect an owner to put his hand in his pocket if those supporting the club aren't willing to do so

Again Newcastle haven't kept the same level of support. Another wrong statement of yours. Look at their recent attendances. Everton have and West Ham have but their owners have delivered, as have Brighton. They have all spent a lot more than us.

If a very rich owner took over, they would know that Saints would suddenly gain a load more fans (plastics) who would start coming, so we would fill the ground if we were winning trophies. I don't understand what you are saying. We all want to see a full stadium, well so does any team. Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Sunderland whoever want full grounds too but extra people won't come unless the team is doing well. And you have to look at the price of tickets. Because we don't have the depth of fanbase that other clubs have that you mention, some.just can't afford it. One of my neighbours used to go but simply can't justify £200 for the whole family a game. But he must be "unwilling to support the club" in your view. Don't feed the family after a pandemic but go to the game. Do you think everybody has loads of money sitting around and nobody has been affected by the pandemic? We don't have millions of tourists to take their place, neither do Burnley, Watford, West Brom, and pretty much every team from 12th down in the PL.

So just to clarify, because some of our fans can't afford to go, and / or can't justify spending that amount every match, they are bad fans for not turning up? We don't have the numbers, that's all. There are many I know for a fact, would go to many more games, if the tickets were cheaper. But you choose to ignore that fact.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 15:24]

Great Support Again On Saturday on 16:05 - Oct 18 with 1112 viewssaint22

Great Support Again On Saturday on 07:28 - Oct 18 by Wints76

I too thought the support was excellent Saturday with very little negativity. Dominating the game helped with that though. Support may be needed more this Saturday when Burnley bring their shithouse game (not an insult, they are great at it) to us

Agreed it was the best atmosphere in a long time, although I am sure it feels that way with hindsight as we actually WON!
There was a little touch of negativity when mccarthy tried to play a pass across field and it went straight out for a throw..... his kicking is fkn awful
Login to get fewer ads

Great Support Again On Saturday on 16:08 - Oct 18 with 1111 viewsgrumpy

Great Support Again On Saturday on 15:11 - Oct 18 by Saintsforeverj

Again Newcastle haven't kept the same level of support. Another wrong statement of yours. Look at their recent attendances. Everton have and West Ham have but their owners have delivered, as have Brighton. They have all spent a lot more than us.

If a very rich owner took over, they would know that Saints would suddenly gain a load more fans (plastics) who would start coming, so we would fill the ground if we were winning trophies. I don't understand what you are saying. We all want to see a full stadium, well so does any team. Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Sunderland whoever want full grounds too but extra people won't come unless the team is doing well. And you have to look at the price of tickets. Because we don't have the depth of fanbase that other clubs have that you mention, some.just can't afford it. One of my neighbours used to go but simply can't justify £200 for the whole family a game. But he must be "unwilling to support the club" in your view. Don't feed the family after a pandemic but go to the game. Do you think everybody has loads of money sitting around and nobody has been affected by the pandemic? We don't have millions of tourists to take their place, neither do Burnley, Watford, West Brom, and pretty much every team from 12th down in the PL.

So just to clarify, because some of our fans can't afford to go, and / or can't justify spending that amount every match, they are bad fans for not turning up? We don't have the numbers, that's all. There are many I know for a fact, would go to many more games, if the tickets were cheaper. But you choose to ignore that fact.

Well said Saintsforeverj

I also have an issue with this statement, Nick

'they had the passion to actually do something other than moan about their club on message board'

If people didn't have a moan on here from time to time I think you would find this board very quiet, so be careful for what you wish for.
Great Support Again On Saturday on 16:44 - Oct 18 with 1078 viewsButty101

Great Support Again On Saturday on 15:02 - Oct 18 by SaintNick

"how can we expect an owner to put his hand in his pocket if those supporting the club aren't willing to do so"

If the owner isnt willing to put his money in, maybe he shouldnt be buying a club.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Great Support Again On Saturday on 17:15 - Oct 18 with 1066 viewssolent_toffee

Great Support Again On Saturday on 23:20 - Oct 17 by Saintsforeverj

But it's not realistic. The two things feed each other. Everton fans were silent today and booed the team off as did Newcastle fans, even after a takeover! It's human nature everywhere. The important thing that fans want, is passion and desire. If the players give their all, the fans will too. If the players are standing around not bothering and this has happened on occasions, then of course the fans won't respond in the same way.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2021 23:24]

I went to the game yesterday and although the atmosphere wasn’t electric, it was decent in fairly drab game with two managers playing for a nil nil. And Everton certainly weren’t booed off at the end either. It was flat due to the result and the fact Everton never looked like scoring but the players got a decent reception for their efforts.

Any booing that came across might have been aimed at the ref who was awful once again.
Great Support Again On Saturday on 18:02 - Oct 18 with 1037 viewsA1079

The funniest thing about some chanting on Saturday was when a section of fans sang "he's one of your own, he's one of your own, Jimmy Saville, he's one of your own". I thought it was mildly amusing but I am easily amused.
Great Support Again On Saturday on 22:30 - Oct 18 with 953 views1teeminants

Great Support Again On Saturday on 23:25 - Oct 17 by SaintNick

Some clubs do that yes, but then there are others who keep going whatever, thats why Man Utd & Liverpool fans have good reputations whilst Man City & Chelsea don't

Scouses sing YNWA and then that’s it ! total silence for the rest of the game well it was when I visited a few times. As for Everton away it was deathly quiet when I went there .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Great Support Again On Saturday on 05:58 - Oct 19 with 903 viewssaintwizzler

Great Support Again On Saturday on 22:30 - Oct 18 by 1teeminants

Scouses sing YNWA and then that’s it ! total silence for the rest of the game well it was when I visited a few times. As for Everton away it was deathly quiet when I went there .

Yep then noise when they score.
The Selfie Stick stand to the right of the away end is like a doctor’s waiting room.
It will take a massive game for me to go to Anfield again.
Shame as Liverpool as a city is an enjoyable trip.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, West Ham & Man Utd are also off my list of to dos.

Norwich tickets on sale this morning. See you there!!

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Great Support Again On Saturday on 08:35 - Oct 19 with 851 viewssolent_toffee

Great Support Again On Saturday on 22:30 - Oct 18 by 1teeminants

The atmosphere at games at Goodison, and most crowds, is dependent on many numbers of factors. The kick off time, the opposition, the time of the season, what’s up for grabs, new players, ex returning players, dodgy tackles, dodgy refs. Everton v Saints isn’t one to get the pulse racing, though it depends on when the game is. The first game of the season this year it was decent. Burnley on a Monday night is hardly one to get excited but the atmosphere a few weeks ago was incredible.
Great Support Again On Saturday on 09:55 - Oct 19 with 814 viewssaints__fan__73

Great Support Again On Saturday on 14:38 - Oct 18 by SaintNick

Not really comparable Nick. Newcastle and Everton are both far bigger clubs than us (and Everton haven't been involved in a relegation battle since 2003/2004), West Ham were gifted a new stadium and literally give away thousands of tickets to the local community and Brighton are a long-time lower league club where the novelty of PL football hasn't quite worn off yet).

Like all of your arguments what you are saying is rooted in the past with no acknowledgment at all that football has changed since those times. In those days no fan even knew the owner of any club and every club was doing its best to do as well on the pitch as its number 1 over-riding aim. Fans could rock up on the day and, literally, for a few pennies watch a game of top flight football.

As others have said, with tickets prices as they are now it's a very different affair.

However, more important that than is how the club is being run. No longer is it being run with the number one aim to finish as high up the table as possible.

We have an owner, with no great personal wealth, who took out massive personal loans in order to buy 80% of the club. His aim was to buy the club, keep it for 3 or 4 years and sell for a vastly inflated price as he knew that the worth of all PL clubs has been increasing year on year since the PL started. All he needed to do to achieve this was to keep the club in the PL so there was zero incentive for him to aim any higher than this. It would just cost him money.

Sadly for him, despite the club having a For Sale board outside the stadium for the past 2 seasons, probably due to COVID, there is no interest at all from any other party in buying the club.

This means he is stuck with us.

He cannot sell at a loss as he would not be able to repay the massive bank loans he has taken out.

So he just has to grit it out and hope he can run the club on a shoe string and keep us in the PL for as long as it takes him to find a new owner.

From a fan's perspective that gives little incentive to pay large sums of money to go to games when it's far easier and cheaper to watch on TV at home. All you are doing to by going to games is helping our owner pay the running costs.

I'll go to games again when we have an owner who isn't just looking to make a quick profit on the club and wants more than 17th....
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 14:35]

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Great Support Again On Saturday on 10:57 - Oct 19 with 775 viewsdirk_doone

Great Support Again On Saturday on 09:55 - Oct 19 by saints__fan__73

Not really comparable Nick. Newcastle and Everton are both far bigger clubs than us (and Everton haven't been involved in a relegation battle since 2003/2004), West Ham were gifted a new stadium and literally give away thousands of tickets to the local community and Brighton are a long-time lower league club where the novelty of PL football hasn't quite worn off yet).

Like all of your arguments what you are saying is rooted in the past with no acknowledgment at all that football has changed since those times. In those days no fan even knew the owner of any club and every club was doing its best to do as well on the pitch as its number 1 over-riding aim. Fans could rock up on the day and, literally, for a few pennies watch a game of top flight football.

As others have said, with tickets prices as they are now it's a very different affair.

However, more important that than is how the club is being run. No longer is it being run with the number one aim to finish as high up the table as possible.

We have an owner, with no great personal wealth, who took out massive personal loans in order to buy 80% of the club. His aim was to buy the club, keep it for 3 or 4 years and sell for a vastly inflated price as he knew that the worth of all PL clubs has been increasing year on year since the PL started. All he needed to do to achieve this was to keep the club in the PL so there was zero incentive for him to aim any higher than this. It would just cost him money.

Sadly for him, despite the club having a For Sale board outside the stadium for the past 2 seasons, probably due to COVID, there is no interest at all from any other party in buying the club.

This means he is stuck with us.

He cannot sell at a loss as he would not be able to repay the massive bank loans he has taken out.

So he just has to grit it out and hope he can run the club on a shoe string and keep us in the PL for as long as it takes him to find a new owner.

From a fan's perspective that gives little incentive to pay large sums of money to go to games when it's far easier and cheaper to watch on TV at home. All you are doing to by going to games is helping our owner pay the running costs.

I'll go to games again when we have an owner who isn't just looking to make a quick profit on the club and wants more than 17th....
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 14:35]

I still go to games because I enjoy them but that is a very good summary of the situation, 73.

Anyway, the difference between teams with a similar capacity stadium to ours, like Leicester, Wolves and Brighton, is tiny. Teams with bigger capacity stadiums are obviously going to get bigger crowds for big matches like local derby games and the visits of the big 6, which will push their average way above ours. Our average attendance, which has been above 90% of our capacity for decades, has always suffered from our relatively small stadium capacity:

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/premier-league/attendances

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Great Support Again On Saturday on 18:00 - Oct 19 with 680 viewsNumber_58

FWIW I thought the vocal support was good for most of the time on Saturday but for some reason it went a bit quiet in the latter part of the game. This may have been a reflection on how bad Leeds were as it was hardly backs-to-the-wall stuff.
On another matter, was that the first time there's been a CPR demonstration as half time entertainment at a football match? In view of the following day's events at Newcastle I thought it was quite good timing. That said, from the other end of the ground, and with very poor sound quality from the loud speakers, until I worked out what was happening it did just look like a bloke trying to hump someone in front of the Northam End.
Great Support Again On Saturday on 19:16 - Oct 19 with 647 views1teeminants

Great Support Again On Saturday on 05:58 - Oct 19 by saintwizzler

Yep then noise when they score.
The Selfie Stick stand to the right of the away end is like a doctor’s waiting room.
It will take a massive game for me to go to Anfield again.
Shame as Liverpool as a city is an enjoyable trip.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs, West Ham & Man Utd are also off my list of to dos.

Norwich tickets on sale this morning. See you there!!

Yes I’ll be there pal .

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Great Support Again On Saturday on 21:03 - Oct 19 with 595 viewscocklebreath

Great Support Again On Saturday on 18:00 - Oct 19 by Number_58

FWIW I thought the vocal support was good for most of the time on Saturday but for some reason it went a bit quiet in the latter part of the game. This may have been a reflection on how bad Leeds were as it was hardly backs-to-the-wall stuff.
On another matter, was that the first time there's been a CPR demonstration as half time entertainment at a football match? In view of the following day's events at Newcastle I thought it was quite good timing. That said, from the other end of the ground, and with very poor sound quality from the loud speakers, until I worked out what was happening it did just look like a bloke trying to hump someone in front of the Northam End.

It was exciting stuff, bring back the kids running round the pitch

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Great Support Again On Saturday on 22:41 - Oct 19 with 551 viewsdarthvader

Great Support Again On Saturday on 15:11 - Oct 18 by Saintsforeverj

Im going to my first game this season against villa .

I used to go to every game home and away , work commitments and the cost of tickets prevent this now .

Half a dozen home and 3 or 4 away is all i can do at this time

Still have a love hate thing with saints . I love them, and i hate it when we lose . I feel it just as much as i always have when i was going to all games .

keep the faith coyr

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024