Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burnley Game Matchday Thread 09:10 - Oct 23 with 4118 viewsSaintNick

Three points needed

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 19:40 - Oct 23 with 882 viewsBison

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 19:32 - Oct 23 by Saintsforeverj

Or perhaps it was down to the defence going to sleep and leaving a Burnley player completely unmarked in the first minutes of the game?

We were the better side , from a personal perspective we are getting better , we look more solid recently so rather than find a reason why we did not win I would say we do not look like we will lose so much.

The only downside I would say was WALCOTT . But in general we look much better than 6 months ago. I dont get the general negativity at the moment with the Football Managers demanding their picks , we doing ok I think with what we have. Ralf is the man for me , he has tried wierd sh!t and been lambasted , he also has the bravery to give kids a chance.

If you moaning Tw@ts get Steve Bruce in for your negativity I will punch the lot of you on the nose ;0

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 19:47 - Oct 23 with 870 viewsElijahK

Look, so far this season we’ve had a few disappointing results, but when being realistic have had only 1 (wolves) game where it was abysmal and a result in which we should have never got.
As today, basically every player was ether good for basically the whole game, or had decent and poor spells. The only player in my view who didn’t keep to this was Walcott, who as I said when we first signed him, has just been rubbish and shouldn’t be playing.
But in fairness to Ralph, other than starting Walcott, I can’t have a go at him for much as there’s very little he could’ve done differently as he took him off for the exact player we all wanted, at the right sort of time, as only took off Broja as he seemed to have a bit of a knock on him (which hopefully isn’t too serious), and then brought on Adam Armstrong at the end to try and win it, but tactically he was pretty fair and it was just two poor mistakes that cost us the win, but that’s the players and not Ralph, all of which though (bar Walcott) had both poor and decent spells (other than Livermento and Brojo who were both outstanding today).

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 19:49 - Oct 23 with 865 viewsElijahK

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 16:40 - Oct 23 by grumpy

Why take Broja off?

He had a knock so couldn’t play on/didn’t wanna risk it

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 19:54 - Oct 23 with 851 viewsElijahK

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 16:57 - Oct 23 by dirk_doone

Terrible substitution, taking off Broja, our only hope of scoring a winning goal and bringing on Che Adams. That and starting Walcott make me wonder if Ralph is worse at team selection than the average football fan.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 16:57]

Why do you complain about everything Ralph does, as Ralph took of Broja as he had a knock, which if you were at the game was pretty clear as he was hobbling around for quite a while before he came off, and so Ralph has made one “different” selection to what most people on here would’ve made, and even then as people have already said, Armstrong isn’t fully fit yet so was never gonna start, so you’ve got Djenepo (who’s just as poor sometimes, and I’m sure everyone would be moaning about if he’d played) or an inexperienced Tella, but that’s it. And that’s literally the only player who anyone really disagreed with, and was subbed off anyway after like 60 minutes, and McCarthy is always better than Forster so why you act like we’ve got Neur on the bench doesn’t make sense.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 19:58]

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 19:59 - Oct 23 with 838 viewsSaintsforeverj

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 19:40 - Oct 23 by Bison

We were the better side , from a personal perspective we are getting better , we look more solid recently so rather than find a reason why we did not win I would say we do not look like we will lose so much.

The only downside I would say was WALCOTT . But in general we look much better than 6 months ago. I dont get the general negativity at the moment with the Football Managers demanding their picks , we doing ok I think with what we have. Ralf is the man for me , he has tried wierd sh!t and been lambasted , he also has the bravery to give kids a chance.

If you moaning Tw@ts get Steve Bruce in for your negativity I will punch the lot of you on the nose ;0

I couldn't agree more. I was at the game. It was a difficult game, a more exciting game than I expected and we have got 4 points from the last two games. Walcott was indeed poor but I don't think playing this player or that player would have much difference. We arn't doing too badly and generally playing well. We hit the post and did ok. Burnley are a tough team to beat at times. Yeah, I don't get it. Ralph is doing the best we can expect with the resources he has. And the defence let in two poor goals. Last week we would have had those players marked. This week we didn't, but there we are.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 20:00 - Oct 23 with 836 viewsBison

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 19:54 - Oct 23 by ElijahK

Why do you complain about everything Ralph does, as Ralph took of Broja as he had a knock, which if you were at the game was pretty clear as he was hobbling around for quite a while before he came off, and so Ralph has made one “different” selection to what most people on here would’ve made, and even then as people have already said, Armstrong isn’t fully fit yet so was never gonna start, so you’ve got Djenepo (who’s just as poor sometimes, and I’m sure everyone would be moaning about if he’d played) or an inexperienced Tella, but that’s it. And that’s literally the only player who anyone really disagreed with, and was subbed off anyway after like 60 minutes, and McCarthy is always better than Forster so why you act like we’ve got Neur on the bench doesn’t make sense.

Exactly , I find it hard to understand why some 'fans' have so deep feelings about players and if they do not agree question the manager.

There are very few managers out there , and even fewer that can run a Premiership team. Oh I believe Steve Bruce is now available.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 20:28 - Oct 23 with 790 viewssaint22

The problem is Ralph keeps making the SAME mistakes over and over
Playing players out of position and not playing our best players along making subs too late and the wrong ones
You are meant to learn from your mistakes but he just keeps repeating them that the big worry
Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 20:30 - Oct 23 with 788 viewskingslandstand1

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 17:18 - Oct 23 by 1885_SFC

No surprise that both our goals came from Premier League quality players in Tino & Broja.

Championship players Che Adams & Adam Armstrong were never going to find the target. The whole point of subs is to change the game... and they weren't ever going to do that. Ralph started with a wasted berth in Walcott and then took our best hope of a goal off.

If we're not careful, KWP will be asking to leave sooner rather than later. The lad wants & needs game time.

Two points dropped today without doubt. Typical Saints really. We rarely come from behind to take the lead... and when we do, we can't keep hold of it - ever. I'm putting that down to Ralph's starting line-up as much as anything else. No doubt the likes of KWP and Tella will play in the meaningless game at Chelsea midweek.

Pretty well sums the day up acurately enough!
Login to get fewer ads

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 20:49 - Oct 23 with 753 viewskingslandstand1

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 17:06 - Oct 23 by Ron11

Perraud looks a solid left back when defending.
But that corner he took was the worst one I have ever seen in any league football match ever.

Starting Walcott cost lost us two important points, as well as leaving Kyle Walker Peters on the bench. Livramento was on the wrong side of Cornet for his first goal. I don't blame the lad too much, tactically he was being asked to do a hell of a lot, while KWP had to sit and watch when he could have been doing his job.

Then why pull Broja off? Adams produced one sad headed effort that my wee terrier would have made a better job of.
Most of us can see all this, once again Ralph prefers not to. Two more important points down the drain...and look at Brighton.

Generally agree with that but Broja was clearly injured as he walked across the pitch at the final whistle
You mention Brighton, but what about Watford who we play next week!!
Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 21:22 - Oct 23 with 727 viewsDorsetIan

For a group of people who are pretty good at disagreeing with each other, there’s an amazing amount of agreement about the game on here today (just got back and reading through the comments).

Key points for me...

Walcott. Having been taken off at Half Time at Chelsea and then been anonymous for the 15 mins he played against Leeds, wtf was he doing starting and why did he stay on for so long when he was equally sh1t today. Not even hitting the target with that chance was criminal.

And we were completely in control at 2-1 and should have gone on to win 3-1 or 4-1 imo, but the equaliser stopped us in our tracks. It’s the managers job to make sure the team responds to a set back like that. It was the right time to make some changes, try to make sure we carried on pushing forward. Instead, as usual, Ralph dithered, let the momentum drift away and then made his subs way too late, and with little impact.

It‘s so frustrating that this happens over and over again. Ralph was on the radio later saying he was happy with the draw. That game was ours for the taking, and they’re not going to come much easier. Sometimes I honestly think he’s got a screw loose.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 21:26 - Oct 23 with 719 viewsgrumpy

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 19:49 - Oct 23 by ElijahK

He had a knock so couldn’t play on/didn’t wanna risk it

Yes,I did notice that.
Think I was too taken away by the moment and the thought we don't have someone as near as good as him to replace him.
Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 21:26 - Oct 23 with 719 viewssaint22

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 21:22 - Oct 23 by DorsetIan

For a group of people who are pretty good at disagreeing with each other, there’s an amazing amount of agreement about the game on here today (just got back and reading through the comments).

Key points for me...

Walcott. Having been taken off at Half Time at Chelsea and then been anonymous for the 15 mins he played against Leeds, wtf was he doing starting and why did he stay on for so long when he was equally sh1t today. Not even hitting the target with that chance was criminal.

And we were completely in control at 2-1 and should have gone on to win 3-1 or 4-1 imo, but the equaliser stopped us in our tracks. It’s the managers job to make sure the team responds to a set back like that. It was the right time to make some changes, try to make sure we carried on pushing forward. Instead, as usual, Ralph dithered, let the momentum drift away and then made his subs way too late, and with little impact.

It‘s so frustrating that this happens over and over again. Ralph was on the radio later saying he was happy with the draw. That game was ours for the taking, and they’re not going to come much easier. Sometimes I honestly think he’s got a screw loose.

As I already said:

Playing players out of position and not playing our best players along making subs too late and the wrong ones
You are meant to learn from your mistakes but he just keeps repeating them that the big worry

Secondly and I was half joking I seriously wonder if Walcotts contract said he has to play if fit? There can be no other reason for him getting picked because he looks totally useless and offers nothing at all
Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 21:34 - Oct 23 with 712 viewssaint22

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 21:22 - Oct 23 by DorsetIan

Key points for me...

Also what sort manager says they are happy with a draw when their team missed two gilt edged chances plus hit a post???
It was Burnley but Man City ffs
Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 23:28 - Oct 23 with 662 viewsdirk_doone

A/ I don't. I'm one of the people on here who doesn't want Ralph sacked (but as the only posts on here you are interested in are the ones that refer to your relative, Alex McCarthy, you wouldn't have noticed that). I like Ralph but he makes mistakes in team selection, like Walcott and McCarthy today, and I just wish he wouldn't.

B/ McCarthy is NOT like you say "always better than Forster". There is no team in the Premier League and not many in the Championship with a worse goalkeeper than Alex McCarthy. He is about League One level. Let me make this loud and clear: what McCarthy IS is a cr@p goalkeeper and as I said at the beginning of the season, if we play him in goal all season, we will be relegated.

C/ 130 now has a serious rival on here for talking out of the back off his ass: Elijah.

D/ Forster in goal, KWP at right back, Livramento right midfield, Broja as our main striker, Walcott and McCarthy nowhere near the team, and we will stay up
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 0:03]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 00:20 - Oct 24 with 630 viewsElijahK

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 20:28 - Oct 23 by saint22

Ok but he’s not playing anyone out of position anymore, and substitute timings (other than Armstrong maybe) they were all fairly timed and all understandable, so I still don’t get your point, as maybe in the past he may have given you a right to say this, but today he did what anyone in his position would have done

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 00:26 - Oct 24 with 628 viewsElijahK

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 23:28 - Oct 23 by dirk_doone

A/ I don't. I'm one of the people on here who doesn't want Ralph sacked (but as the only posts on here you are interested in are the ones that refer to your relative, Alex McCarthy, you wouldn't have noticed that). I like Ralph but he makes mistakes in team selection, like Walcott and McCarthy today, and I just wish he wouldn't.

B/ McCarthy is NOT like you say "always better than Forster". There is no team in the Premier League and not many in the Championship with a worse goalkeeper than Alex McCarthy. He is about League One level. Let me make this loud and clear: what McCarthy IS is a cr@p goalkeeper and as I said at the beginning of the season, if we play him in goal all season, we will be relegated.

C/ 130 now has a serious rival on here for talking out of the back off his ass: Elijah.

D/ Forster in goal, KWP at right back, Livramento right midfield, Broja as our main striker, Walcott and McCarthy nowhere near the team, and we will stay up
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 0:03]

Well you say that you want Ralph on here, but I very rarely see you ever credit him and it’s always criticism that I see (not just from you though) on here so often.
And sorry but McCarthys proved that he’s better than Forster as after watching MOTD their second goal was a little poor to concede but then again wasn’t the easiest to save, but as he showed against Chelsea, he can be amazing at time and hasn’t actually made a single BLATANT poor mistake this season yet.
Wow so I’m talking out of my ass for simply backing a manger and his decisions for a season where we’ve had only one actual bad result (wolves) whilst plastic fans like yourself say you back him yet just complain 24.07 and seem to criticise any player that you don’t like whenever you get a chance, yet won’t ever credit them when they do well!?
We’re not going down this season, so thankfully we don’t need to listen to your advice as in the end we surely aren’t the greatest, but there more teams out there who sure are worse!

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 00:40 - Oct 24 with 616 views1885_SFC

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 00:26 - Oct 24 by ElijahK

Well you say that you want Ralph on here, but I very rarely see you ever credit him and it’s always criticism that I see (not just from you though) on here so often.
And sorry but McCarthys proved that he’s better than Forster as after watching MOTD their second goal was a little poor to concede but then again wasn’t the easiest to save, but as he showed against Chelsea, he can be amazing at time and hasn’t actually made a single BLATANT poor mistake this season yet.
Wow so I’m talking out of my ass for simply backing a manger and his decisions for a season where we’ve had only one actual bad result (wolves) whilst plastic fans like yourself say you back him yet just complain 24.07 and seem to criticise any player that you don’t like whenever you get a chance, yet won’t ever credit them when they do well!?
We’re not going down this season, so thankfully we don’t need to listen to your advice as in the end we surely aren’t the greatest, but there more teams out there who sure are worse!

There's one worse team. The rest of them in the bottom third - including us - are much of a muchness.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 0:41]

Old School is Cool

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 00:56 - Oct 24 with 604 viewsdirk_doone

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 00:40 - Oct 24 by 1885_SFC

There's one worse team. The rest of them in the bottom third - including us - are much of a muchness.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2021 0:41]

Let's put dropping points to them in perspective. Burnley haven't won a league game for half a year: fourteeen games without a win and they are going down. There simply aren't three teams worse than them.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 01:08 - Oct 24 with 598 views1885_SFC

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 00:56 - Oct 24 by dirk_doone

Let's put dropping points to them in perspective. Burnley haven't won a league game for half a year: fourteeen games without a win and they are going down. There simply aren't three teams worse than them.

You're preaching to the converted dirk.

Old School is Cool

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 09:32 - Oct 24 with 493 viewspjt50

Going to put my head above the parapet & put in a word for Walcott . He didn't have a great game yesterday but his intelligent runs created a lot of the space that Livramento made use of in the first half.

Walcott is the latest in a long line of scapegoats. Hasenhuttl makes his decisions for a reason — whether it's tactical or because of what he sees in training. He has far more invested in getting it right than any of us.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 09:59 - Oct 24 with 469 viewsMytchettSaint

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 09:32 - Oct 24 by pjt50

Going to put my head above the parapet & put in a word for Walcott . He didn't have a great game yesterday but his intelligent runs created a lot of the space that Livramento made use of in the first half.

Walcott is the latest in a long line of scapegoats. Hasenhuttl makes his decisions for a reason — whether it's tactical or because of what he sees in training. He has far more invested in getting it right than any of us.

The only reason I can think of for Walcott starting yesterday was that S Armstrong was clearly not fit enough for 90 minutes and Ralph had come to the conclusion that Djnepo hasn’t offered enough in recent weeks to warrant a start. But let’s be honest, Walcott serves the team best coming on as a sub when his experience in when we’re trying to close out games is needed. Yesterday he was that anonymous it was like playing with 10 men (clever runs or not). I think I’d have rather seen KWP given the chance yesterday to play instead of Theo.
None of us want Ralph to fail but as has been said before, we’re sitting there watching the same tactics time after time. Burnley was a game we should have won. The players have to take their share of criticism for the goals both conceded and missed but it’s Ralph’s inability to impact changes needed when we’re under the cosh that is downfall.
Bison asked a good question earlier where he said if we get rid of Ralph who are we going to get? In truth I’m not sure but driving home yesterday I was thinking he needs to go. Heat of the moment stuff? Probably - but I seem to think that more and more each week.
He’s a likeable bloke and obviously good at coaching players, but tactically, he’s very poor a lot of the time.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 10:12 - Oct 24 with 456 viewsRon11

What, when he says live that he was 'happy with a draw'.
Against Burnley at home?
Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 12:16 - Oct 24 with 415 viewssaint22

Sorry disagree
Half the time he runs where he wants and there is no point him running into the box because he couldn’t finish his dinner
He is a busted flush and keeping someone exciting and young like Tella out of the team is criminal from the manager
Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 14:37 - Oct 24 with 383 viewsBicester_North

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 09:59 - Oct 24 by MytchettSaint

The only reason I can think of for Walcott starting yesterday was that S Armstrong was clearly not fit enough for 90 minutes and Ralph had come to the conclusion that Djnepo hasn’t offered enough in recent weeks to warrant a start. But let’s be honest, Walcott serves the team best coming on as a sub when his experience in when we’re trying to close out games is needed. Yesterday he was that anonymous it was like playing with 10 men (clever runs or not). I think I’d have rather seen KWP given the chance yesterday to play instead of Theo.
None of us want Ralph to fail but as has been said before, we’re sitting there watching the same tactics time after time. Burnley was a game we should have won. The players have to take their share of criticism for the goals both conceded and missed but it’s Ralph’s inability to impact changes needed when we’re under the cosh that is downfall.
Bison asked a good question earlier where he said if we get rid of Ralph who are we going to get? In truth I’m not sure but driving home yesterday I was thinking he needs to go. Heat of the moment stuff? Probably - but I seem to think that more and more each week.
He’s a likeable bloke and obviously good at coaching players, but tactically, he’s very poor a lot of the time.

This is the fear, would you trust Saints to get anyone better who would still be happy with the clubs way of doing business? This is what makes me think for all his faults, as long as the players are playing for Ralph and we are surviving, it’s about as good as it gets due to the way the club is run.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 15:12 - Oct 25 with 299 viewsBerber

Burnley Game Matchday Thread on 19:40 - Oct 23 by Bison

This, 100%. Especially the bit about Bruce. Lovely chap, but a dinosaur so far as football tactics and management go. On Saturday, I thought we played far better than Burnley, but two sloppy errors from Livramento then Bednarek gave them the chances, and they took the goals very well. Salisu was outstanding, winning the ball again and again against the rough and tumble of the Burnley forwards. Livramento was MotM for me despite his getting caught out for their first.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024