Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Port Vale (h) Match Thread 17:04 - Feb 21 with 24896 viewsHullDale

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 11:13 - Feb 23 with 2972 viewsSalegraham

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 10:11 - Feb 23 by ChaffRAFC

Few thoughts for what it's worth.

Thought Lynch and Dooley were our least inept players and called Dooley getting MOTM. That in itself tells you how poor we were like ATP has mentioned.

Jeriel Dorsett has reverted back to early season form. In fact I don't think it's form, or confidence, I just don't think he's very good, or even good, or even average. If the ball isn't in the air, he doesn't have a clue what to do with it. I've never seen a player so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. It was clear from the first half that the three at the back wasn't working, we were being penned in and pressed and it needed changing a lot earlier than it was. The whole point (I think) to us playing three at the back is to a) get the best out of the wingbacks and b) offer more defensive protection, I might be wrong. Well, Corey O'Keeffe barely ventured past the half way line, same for Max Clark so it effectively became 5 at the back because of how we were pressed. It left Campbell isolated as Newby and Grant were having to drop deeper to get anywhere close to being involved, neither succeeded and I thought both were quite a bit off it tonight.

I don't mind being beaten or drawing to better teams who are just better than us but we were outfought all over the pitch. We lost every 1st ball and 2nd ball and we've got the most undeserved equaliser in the history of football.

What I will say however is that, a point last night is a decent one, the league table looks much better and if we can win next week at Carlisle then we'll be looking in a much better position.

Regarding recruitment, I think it's been very average when you consider the signings of Dorsett, Broadbent and Cashman, none of which have worked how they should have. All should have been a good fit for this season and haven't been. Campbell and Charman were brought in for next season there's no doubt about it and patience is still gonna be required for both of those. I think Campbell has shown he'll work hard and when he's next to someone, he'll be an asset. Charman has made a massive step up and was working full time only a few weeks ago and is adjusting to professional football again and it will take time. I think both will turn out to be very good next season and if they don't, I'll admit I was wrong.

People saying this is now Stockdale's team, I only partly agree. The signings made in January are for next season really and if they can contribute this season like Downing and Ball have so far then great but it's harsh to expect all of them to come in and hit the ground running when three have come from non-league.

I also think we need to take into consideration the fact that when he took over, it was a sh!t show. He alluded to not being able to make signings he wanted early doors and was restricted to loans. So effectively, that sounds like we were briefly under a transfer embargo and it was a rush to bring players in. This squad, when you consider the players we've lost since the summer is very much a transitional side and we have to be patient. We lost Humphrys, Lund, Baah, Rathbone, Beesley and Morley. Could even throw McShane in there too because a fit McShane walks into our side. We've signed young players, out of favour players and non-league players to replace them so I think it's harsh to expect it to work straight away.

We're 16th in the league with games in hand over all but two teams below us and this season is about staying up and stopping the decline before we can move back upwards.

Does Stockdale need to get more right, yes he does because we've been absolutely horrendous too often in recent weeks but I do trust him to get it right in the long run.

Well said Chaff, all these so called experts on here. Like was said earlier on at the start of the season if we finish still in this league most of us would be happy. Especially if the problems off the field are sorted.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 11:15 - Feb 23 with 2955 viewsAltDaleComms

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 11:43 - Feb 23 with 2859 viewselectricblue

To many fickle supporters about at the moment who want instant success and its not going to happen.
Dale as a club are on a huge rebuild on level in every dept and its a huge task for all involved.
Stockdale is learning as he goes along and with players not having any lge experience these type of matches are bound to happen.

1pt is better than nothing.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 11:47 - Feb 23 with 2847 views49thseason

This has turned into an interesting discussion. I think the frequency of games on wet pitches is a real problem, the number of times we have had a good result on Saturday and been awful on a Tuesday night is beyond my ability to count them, no matter who the manager is. I think its a problem of tired legs and too small a squad.
Last night the midfield was completely overrun, when it comes to a scrap, Dooley and Grant go missing in the first round. I thought Taylor was the best of a poor defence last night but at times they continue to look like stangers. O'Connell doesn't captain by example and Lynch doesnt organise vocally despite having the best view on the pitch.
BUT, they managed to get a point, so 4 from our games v PV this season, and we have lost just 1 in the last 7 despite the loss of Downing and Andrews . I think we can still finish mid table-ish and consider it a decent season considering where we started.
I fully expect another major bout of shapeshifting in the summer when hopefully we can bring in as many as 8 or 9 more players in to replace Lynch, Downing ( unless we suddenly find a money tree and he joins us), Dorsett, McNulty, Done, Dooley, Andrews ( unless Birmingham release him), Cashman and maybe O'Connell. Also I think Kelly is OOC at the end of the season and isn't O'Keeffe is only contracted to the end of the season?
Another worry is that I cant see a saleable player in the squad at the moment.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 12:28 - Feb 23 with 2732 viewsdingdangblue

Watching their goal again our positioning and organisation are staggeringly bad - even for Dale standards! I understand the attacking team with runners are always going to have an advantage over defenders stood still but we've got Grant,O'Connell and Dorsett stood within 2 ft of each other at the nearpost and Ball (arguably already our best header of the ball) stood in the 6 yard box next to Lynch. There is only really Taylor anywhere near a central position and he's outjumped by the scorer. Even if we are crap at defending set pieces - at least show some intelligence.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 12:34 - Feb 23 with 2714 viewssamueloneils

Do you think their goal was an attempt at zonal marking?

The 2 big men who got near the ball were completely clear.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 12:56 - Feb 23 with 2641 viewskel

Ace meltdown by a Vale fan on the league two forum where he’s listed teams that don’t deserve having teams with lower crowds above them in both this division and the one above.

Superb stuff.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 13:39 - Feb 23 with 2508 views100notout

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 12:34 - Feb 23 by samueloneils

Thought exactly the same about zonal marking - we're bloody hopeless at it!

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Login to get fewer ads

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 13:46 - Feb 23 with 2478 views100notout

Another random thought from the game last night - just how fookin big was their keeper last night!!!!!!!!!!!

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 13:53 - Feb 23 with 2448 viewssamueloneils

Thats what made Ball`s shot such a cracker. Beat him full length on the goal line!
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 14:01 - Feb 23 with 2421 viewsjudd

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 13:46 - Feb 23 by 100notout

Another random thought from the game last night - just how fookin big was their keeper last night!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought the same as I walked to my seat.

Well, without the need for foul language, of course.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 14:06 - Feb 23 with 2407 views100notout

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 14:01 - Feb 23 by judd

Thought the same as I walked to my seat.

Well, without the need for foul language, of course.

family stand again

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 14:11 - Feb 23 with 2396 viewsjudd

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 14:06 - Feb 23 by 100notout

family stand again

It's usually far worse than the Sandy tbh.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 17:05 - Feb 23 with 2124 viewsEllDale

I once took my brother-in-law (who is a Leeds fan) into the Sandy for a derby game with Bury and he described it as the "pit of hate"....which I thought was a bit strong to be fair!
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 21:00 - Feb 23 with 1770 viewsonedalefan

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 12:34 - Feb 23 by samueloneils

We have been zonal marking all year. Regularly have 4 or 5 defenders on the 6 yard line.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 21:29 - Feb 23 with 1712 viewsEllDale

It makes you wonder what might have happened if the game had been played on the original date when Dale had Beesley, Morley and the original O’Keeffe available still buoyed from that Newport win?
I say the original O’Keeffe as a month long lay-off doesn’t seem to have done his fitness or form any good at all.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:11 - Feb 23 with 1638 viewsTomRAFC

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 17:05 - Feb 23 by EllDale

I once took my brother-in-law (who is a Leeds fan) into the Sandy for a derby game with Bury and he described it as the "pit of hate"....which I thought was a bit strong to be fair!

I'll always choose terracing, wherever I can. I love the Sandy with all my heart but it's a funny old place. When there's a magic moment, it's bloody magic. When there's tension, it's bloody tense.

Tuesday was bloody tense. Fans arguing about whether the players or the manager were to blame for the goal. Fans making shush jokes, most at the expense those who were banned, some in defense of them, both sides needling for someone to actually say their piece. Some people probably don't know how we played, they were far busier making anxious, long distance, hand signals at the away fans, that won't have been remotely visible.

Then that finish sneaks in and you're bouncing around together as if nothing ever happened.

I'll say it again, I love the Sandy with all my heart but it's a funny old place.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2022 22:14]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:27 - Feb 23 with 1584 viewsboromat

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:11 - Feb 23 by TomRAFC

I'll always choose terracing, wherever I can. I love the Sandy with all my heart but it's a funny old place. When there's a magic moment, it's bloody magic. When there's tension, it's bloody tense.

Tuesday was bloody tense. Fans arguing about whether the players or the manager were to blame for the goal. Fans making shush jokes, most at the expense those who were banned, some in defense of them, both sides needling for someone to actually say their piece. Some people probably don't know how we played, they were far busier making anxious, long distance, hand signals at the away fans, that won't have been remotely visible.

Then that finish sneaks in and you're bouncing around together as if nothing ever happened.

I'll say it again, I love the Sandy with all my heart but it's a funny old place.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2022 22:14]

Sounds more cultured than the main stand. My ears are still ringing with some bloke shouting FORWARD every time we got the ball. Didn't matter that on Tuesday everytime we tried a forward ball they gave it away it was still what he wanted, FORWARD

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:32 - Feb 23 with 1570 viewsJames1980

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:27 - Feb 23 by boromat

Sounds more cultured than the main stand. My ears are still ringing with some bloke shouting FORWARD every time we got the ball. Didn't matter that on Tuesday everytime we tried a forward ball they gave it away it was still what he wanted, FORWARD

FORRAD?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:45 - Feb 23 with 1530 viewsD_Alien

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:32 - Feb 23 by James1980

FORRAD?

James, that only applies if its preceded by:

GERRIT

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:54 - Feb 23 with 1502 viewsShun

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 10:37 - Feb 23 by Daley_Lama

Port Vale absolutely bossed us last night.

They pressed high on or defence from the first minute - giving no time on the ball when played out
They closed us down in midfield - winning pretty much every 50/50 ball that occurred

This resulted in us having no way forward. Keeper to defender - defender swamped. Keeper to midfielder - ball lost. Defender to Midfielder - ball lost. Long ball to Campbell - ball lost

This was repeated for 75 minutes, the first two subs made no change whatsoever to the pattern of play

Then two things came into effect

1. Change in formation 5-4-1 to 4-5-1. Dorsett for Charman. It gave an extra body in midfield. This didn't suddenly turn the game on it's head, but it led to a slight resistance against the Port Vale tide. We were only 99% dominated instead of 100%

2. 80th minute. Port Vale went to defensive mode. The first visible sign of this was their keeper collecting the ball and doing the clutch to chest on 80 mins, lying on the ground, time-wasting trick. The rest of the team followed suit. Slow walking for throw ins. Delaying tactics wherever possible. Corners held in the corner.

If they had simply stuck to their process of beating us man for man all over the pitch for the remainder they would have had less than 5 minutes of added time for starters. At 1-0 however - it signified to us - we are going defensive.

The last 10+ minutes we had the ball in their half more than the previous 80.

There is lots of bemoaning on here and i understand why after last night, we got over-run throughout and had little to combat with.

Credit to the team for keeping it at 1-0 however, i don't recall the keeper having to make a raft of saves, for all of Port Vale's possession and dominance, they only scored the one, giving Dale the punchers chance which we gleefully took at the end.

Not a game i would want to watch again, for certain.

I don’t think we did change formation, did we? When Dorsett went off Clark went into the back three and Odoh was very much a LWB. It’s one of the things that frustrated those around me so much, the fact that we made what appeared to be an offensive substitution but then stuck to the same formation.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 23:06 - Feb 23 with 1471 viewsShun

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 21:00 - Feb 23 by onedalefan

We have been zonal marking all year. Regularly have 4 or 5 defenders on the 6 yard line.

Correct.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 23:07 - Feb 23 with 1465 viewsShun

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 11:47 - Feb 23 by 49thseason

This has turned into an interesting discussion. I think the frequency of games on wet pitches is a real problem, the number of times we have had a good result on Saturday and been awful on a Tuesday night is beyond my ability to count them, no matter who the manager is. I think its a problem of tired legs and too small a squad.
Last night the midfield was completely overrun, when it comes to a scrap, Dooley and Grant go missing in the first round. I thought Taylor was the best of a poor defence last night but at times they continue to look like stangers. O'Connell doesn't captain by example and Lynch doesnt organise vocally despite having the best view on the pitch.
BUT, they managed to get a point, so 4 from our games v PV this season, and we have lost just 1 in the last 7 despite the loss of Downing and Andrews . I think we can still finish mid table-ish and consider it a decent season considering where we started.
I fully expect another major bout of shapeshifting in the summer when hopefully we can bring in as many as 8 or 9 more players in to replace Lynch, Downing ( unless we suddenly find a money tree and he joins us), Dorsett, McNulty, Done, Dooley, Andrews ( unless Birmingham release him), Cashman and maybe O'Connell. Also I think Kelly is OOC at the end of the season and isn't O'Keeffe is only contracted to the end of the season?
Another worry is that I cant see a saleable player in the squad at the moment.

Kelly is contracted until summer ‘23.
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 23:10 - Feb 23 with 1458 viewsdaz

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 22:27 - Feb 23 by boromat

Haha, think said bloke left many ears ringing long into the night! Supporters who claim to have watched us for over 30 years must have seen some dross over time, but it’s all part of being a Dale fan. Make no bones about it we were poor last night and have been on a number of occasions this season, but to constantly berate the players and manager and even boo! I just don’t get it 🤷🏻‍♂️

We have fought and continue to fight to keep our beloved Dale the fans club, so whatever is served up I sit there grateful that thanks to the good of many we have this crap to watch 😂

UTDNFS 💙
Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 23:45 - Feb 23 with 1409 viewsdingdangblue

Port Vale (h) Match Thread on 23:06 - Feb 23 by Shun

Correct.

More zonal less marking.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024