Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our fans 17:24 - Apr 3 with 6196 viewsPatfromPoole

Just awful yesterday.

3,000 up there, should have been great. But it really wasn’t.

Surrounded by clowns who had no intention of supporting the team. They were either filming it on their phones (see how many have posted our goal on Twitter) or just slating Leeds and their fans. Most of them would have run a mile if a Leeds fan had dared to breathe on them.

One pillock in particular spent about 10 minutes in the second-half shouting “YORKSHIRE COONTS” non-stop. Probably thought he was hilarious. He would have got a pasting outside the ground shouting that.

Leeds fans showed us yesterday what support is all about. We just sing a couple of songs after we score and that’s about it.

I couldn’t believe how many people travelled all that way and just stood there all afternoon.

A lot of these people probably go to more games than me. Hold my hands up at that one. I don’t know why they bother though.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Our fans on 16:03 - Apr 5 with 1624 viewshedgeend61

Our fans on 11:58 - Apr 5 by dirk_doone

You are right. There is a lot of subjectivity involved in opinions about how good or bad support is. Position in the stadium is a factor though. From the Kingsland North our vocal support, the loudest of which is in the Northam/Kingsland corner, can sound good but from the Kingsland South you barely notice it. The best home support at St Mary's is usually when the away team takes a smaller allocation so our home fans get most of the Northam; the worst is for FA Cup games when the away fans fill the Northam end. Of course, if our most vocal fans got behind the goal at the Chapel end for cup games and eventually for league games as well, it would solve the problem. Also if the away fans could be shifted into a corner, like they are at Leciester, you'd notice them less.

In my youth, it was all about getting directly behind the goal, home and away, in order to be seen and heard and I still think the best home support is at stadiums where their most vocal fans have a proper home end. The best home support I've seen anywhere in the world was from Boca Juniors fans at La Bombonera, where they have all of a big home end while the away fans are located high up in the upper tier at the opposite end: a bit like Newcastle.

Research into why home teams win more games found that the main reason was the influence of home fans on the officials and of course the best position to have an influence on key decisions like penalties is behind the goal. So many times at St Mary's I've seen the away fans in the Northam sway referees to award penalties, free-kicks and red and yellow cards while at the Chapel end the home fans don't. Meanwhile, our most fanatical fans, who could make a difference, are hidden away in the corners of the away end, where they are barely noticed on the pitch.

At Elland Road they deliberately moved the away fans to the side so they'd have less influence on the game while at Palace they moved their most vocal fans directly behind the goal and both of those clubs moved some season ticket holders in order to achieve that. Teams want any advantage they can get.

Rant over for the nth time.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 12:06]

I get a lot of what your saying and you talk a lot of sense Dirk, but just on the Leicester stadium with the away fans over the corner flag, they have two ends full of their own fans but none are really classed as proper noisy home end/ Kop.
Their noisiest fans pitch up on the East stand side next to the the away fans, the North stand next to the away fans is the Family section (which I don't get, should be nowhere near the away fans)) and the South stand is classed as the Kop end which was very quiet last time I went 2 years back, 2-1 win.

Leeds have actually moved away fans from opposite corner (not behind goal) to the side, and Palace recently formed ultras who you only hear when their winning are not directly behind the goal but in the corner of their end.

So I think we can agree Leicester aren't really making it an advantage lucky enough to have two ends full with their own fans, which we haven't the luxury of.
Our fans on 16:26 - Apr 5 with 1589 viewsdirk_doone

Our fans on 16:03 - Apr 5 by hedgeend61

I get a lot of what your saying and you talk a lot of sense Dirk, but just on the Leicester stadium with the away fans over the corner flag, they have two ends full of their own fans but none are really classed as proper noisy home end/ Kop.
Their noisiest fans pitch up on the East stand side next to the the away fans, the North stand next to the away fans is the Family section (which I don't get, should be nowhere near the away fans)) and the South stand is classed as the Kop end which was very quiet last time I went 2 years back, 2-1 win.

Leeds have actually moved away fans from opposite corner (not behind goal) to the side, and Palace recently formed ultras who you only hear when their winning are not directly behind the goal but in the corner of their end.

So I think we can agree Leicester aren't really making it an advantage lucky enough to have two ends full with their own fans, which we haven't the luxury of.

When Palace's ultras started up they gathered to one side of the Holmsedale end as that was where there were no season ticket holders but the club later agreed to move them to a more central location, directly behind the goal, which is where they are centred now. Of course their numbers have grown so they cover a much larger area.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/crystal-palace-ultra
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 16:30]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Our fans on 17:38 - Apr 5 with 1512 viewshedgeend61

Our fans on 16:26 - Apr 5 by dirk_doone

When Palace's ultras started up they gathered to one side of the Holmsedale end as that was where there were no season ticket holders but the club later agreed to move them to a more central location, directly behind the goal, which is where they are centred now. Of course their numbers have grown so they cover a much larger area.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/crystal-palace-ultra
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 16:30]

Never knew that Dirk, must pay more attention, still thought they were just in corner.

Haven't been to Palace in years and won't go again, away section is a tip.
How it ever passes a H&S inspection beggers belief,
Our fans on 17:43 - Apr 5 with 1495 viewsdirk_doone

Our fans on 17:38 - Apr 5 by hedgeend61

Never knew that Dirk, must pay more attention, still thought they were just in corner.

Haven't been to Palace in years and won't go again, away section is a tip.
How it ever passes a H&S inspection beggers belief,

When I first went there in the 60s, the away end still didn't have the luxury of concrete terracing. The upper part was just a grassy bank, which turned to mud in the winter.

Our fans on 20:52 - Apr 5 with 1378 viewsSaintNick

Our fans on 15:39 - Apr 5 by grumpy

'if we moved the away supporters to the Chapel corner, then soon those in the Northam would migrate to next to them'

No they wouldn't That's what happened in the 70/80s not now.

Well it happened in the last 5 years or so, for most of our first 15 years at St Mary's the Itchen North was quite a sterile area, then suddenly it has attracted a certain type of fan that revels in baiting the away support

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Our fans on 22:08 - Apr 5 with 1332 viewshedgeend61

Our fans on 17:43 - Apr 5 by dirk_doone

When I first went there in the 60s, the away end still didn't have the luxury of concrete terracing. The upper part was just a grassy bank, which turned to mud in the winter.

Dirk, or anyone else with an opinion, as Leicester's ground is pretty similar to ours, and they've probably found the best place in the corner/side for the away fans, do you think the club/supporters have missed a trick by not creating a proper hostile Kop end (or both ends).

Their main singing/baiting mob pitch up on the side right next to the away fans, their actual South stand kop end only seem noisy when they hand out the paper clackers, or win the PL, whilst the North stand next to the away fans is the family stand, which to me seems a daft place to put it. Surely the best place to put a family stand is one of the opposite corners well away from the away fans?
Our fans on 22:15 - Apr 5 with 1302 viewssaintwizzler

The away fans were in the same spot at St Marys in the Koeman and Puel days when we played in Europe and got to a cup final

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Our fans on 22:43 - Apr 5 with 1268 viewsSaintNick

Our fans on 22:15 - Apr 5 by saintwizzler

The away fans were in the same spot at St Marys in the Koeman and Puel days when we played in Europe and got to a cup final

When we beat Spurs, Norwich & Wolves at home in the cup in 2003, it didn't matter that the Northam was full of away fans

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Login to get fewer ads

Our fans on 22:59 - Apr 5 with 1244 viewsBuggalugs

Oh how wonderful, another “why are the away fans in the Northam” thread.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Our fans on 23:25 - Apr 5 with 1223 viewsdirk_doone

Our fans on 22:08 - Apr 5 by hedgeend61

Dirk, or anyone else with an opinion, as Leicester's ground is pretty similar to ours, and they've probably found the best place in the corner/side for the away fans, do you think the club/supporters have missed a trick by not creating a proper hostile Kop end (or both ends).

Their main singing/baiting mob pitch up on the side right next to the away fans, their actual South stand kop end only seem noisy when they hand out the paper clackers, or win the PL, whilst the North stand next to the away fans is the family stand, which to me seems a daft place to put it. Surely the best place to put a family stand is one of the opposite corners well away from the away fans?

That's not changed much over the years that 'family stands' have existed. I was at Blackburn the season they won the Premier League and Le Tissier scored his wonder goal. The other half of the away end was filled with schoolchildren they'd given free tickets to, who chanted what sounded like "Sheila" in high-pitched voices throughout the game. The presence of away fans in the same stand certainly didn't deter them.

Although I rarely go to away games now, I've been to both Filbert Street and the King Power a few times and Leicester remind me of Ipswich. Neither of them have the best home support but they've both always known where to stick the away fans to minimise their impact. At Filbert Street Leicester had their home kop end with the away section in the stand at the side to their right.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2022 5:40]

Our fans on 12:52 - Apr 6 with 1114 viewsfranniesTache

Our fans on 20:52 - Apr 5 by SaintNick

Well it happened in the last 5 years or so, for most of our first 15 years at St Mary's the Itchen North was quite a sterile area, then suddenly it has attracted a certain type of fan that revels in baiting the away support

Irony is it was us who started the "making the Itchen North a thing" and the last thing we wanted was a bunch of kids baiting the away fans, we were looking for something more like the old under the east or milton, a bit more class and proper terrace culture.

The problem is it got infested by nippers and ruined after a couple of seasons of actually being something decent and different
Our fans on 23:20 - Apr 7 with 940 viewssaintwizzler

Our fans on 00:08 - Apr 8 with 899 viewsPatfromPoole

Our fans on 23:20 - Apr 7 by saintwizzler

Minus 10 points for the drum, bae.

Intrigued as to how they got that in the away end…..

Our fans on 01:45 - Apr 8 with 879 viewsBicester_North

Our fans on 00:08 - Apr 8 by PatfromPoole

Foreign away fans still nearly all blokes in their 20’s-40’s. These lot are all too late or maybe the English were too early.

English match going fans now are not representative of the English working class males, in other countries they still are.

If Russians had tried what they did with the English in Euro 88 instead of 2016 there would’ve been a very different outcome

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Our fans on 07:31 - Apr 8 with 816 viewssaintwizzler

Our fans on 00:08 - Apr 8 by PatfromPoole

Any news on what the fancy dress theme is this year at Leicester?
Traditional Austrian wear to celebrate another successful season by Ralph Hassenhüttl gets my vote.
🇦🇹

Our fans on 07:45 - Apr 8 with 799 viewsMytchettSaint

Our fans on 07:31 - Apr 8 by saintwizzler

Traditional Austrian wear to celebrate another successful season by Ralph Hassenhüttl gets my vote.
🇦🇹

If we get him - a Mike Dean theme would be my suggestion, in honour of all the great times he’s given us.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Our fans on 07:59 - Apr 8 with 793 viewsPatfromPoole

Our fans on 07:31 - Apr 8 by saintwizzler

🇦🇹

Last rumour I heard from a source (who may or may not have been linked to Saints Voice) was for face masks to be donned in tribute to Vladimir Putin, Gary Glitter and Harry Redknapp.

Though there were concerns raised that honouring Redknapp may have been particularly distasteful, and the Club doesn’t need any more bad press after the Le Tissier fiasco.

Our fans on 08:11 - Apr 8 with 774 viewssaintwizzler

Our fans on 07:59 - Apr 8 by PatfromPoole

Last rumour I heard from a source (who may or may not have been linked to Saints Voice) was for face masks to be donned in tribute to Vladimir Putin, Gary Glitter and Harry Redknapp.

Though there were concerns raised that honouring Redknapp may have been particularly distasteful, and the Club doesn’t need any more bad press after the Le Tissier fiasco.

A Sunday afternoon in Leicester in fancy dress watching an end of season friendly…
What’s not to like!?

Our fans on 08:17 - Apr 8 with 773 viewsPatfromPoole

Our fans on 08:11 - Apr 8 by saintwizzler

A Sunday afternoon in Leicester in fancy dress watching an end of season friendly…
What’s not to like!?

Last time I went to Leicester (and spent the whole of the second-half looking for my wedding ring 🙄) you were donning shorts, bae.

That was a warm Thursday night in fairness…..

Our fans on 08:42 - Apr 8 with 747 viewssaintwizzler

Our fans on 08:17 - Apr 8 by PatfromPoole

Last time I went to Leicester (and spent the whole of the second-half looking for my wedding ring 🙄) you were donning shorts, bae.

That was a warm Thursday night in fairness…..

Mad Dog sniffed your ring and returned it.
It was a vital point.

Mark Hughes kept us up and got us to the FA Cup semi final that season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024