Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our fans 17:24 - Apr 3 with 6200 viewsPatfromPoole

Just awful yesterday.

3,000 up there, should have been great. But it really wasn’t.

Surrounded by clowns who had no intention of supporting the team. They were either filming it on their phones (see how many have posted our goal on Twitter) or just slating Leeds and their fans. Most of them would have run a mile if a Leeds fan had dared to breathe on them.

One pillock in particular spent about 10 minutes in the second-half shouting “YORKSHIRE COONTS” non-stop. Probably thought he was hilarious. He would have got a pasting outside the ground shouting that.

Leeds fans showed us yesterday what support is all about. We just sing a couple of songs after we score and that’s about it.

I couldn’t believe how many people travelled all that way and just stood there all afternoon.

A lot of these people probably go to more games than me. Hold my hands up at that one. I don’t know why they bother though.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Our fans on 11:28 - Apr 4 with 1604 viewsBuggalugs

Our fans on 11:23 - Apr 4 by saints__fan__73

The more I would want is more wins and a higher league placing and maybe getting in to Europe.

I couldn't give two f'ks if we got that with silent fans like Arsenal or a load of jumping up and down mongs like Palace.

That's easy for you to say when you simply have the option of turning your telly up or down..

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Our fans on 11:29 - Apr 4 with 1589 viewssaints__fan__73

Our fans on 11:28 - Apr 4 by Buggalugs

That's easy for you to say when you simply have the option of turning your telly up or down..

'tis the Premier League way.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Our fans on 11:39 - Apr 4 with 1567 viewsBuggalugs

Our fans on 11:01 - Apr 4 by franniesTache

i'm not sure people are judging they just want better than what we have now, it's all so boring and cliched, football for most of us is a release from the week, it's about having fun with your mates and a laugh.

There's a lot of us who still take pride in football, we want Southampton to be seen in it's best light, and our fans our a big part of that.

As things stand right now we're just another nondescript premier league "bantz" side, doing the same thing as everyone else, with no originality, no class and very little to make you proud.

Its not much to ask for more is it? And it's not new either, I can remember both the Ugly and On The March calling out our fans for being sh*t in the past, and we deserved it back then the same as we do now.

This new bread lot are having fun and a laugh with their mates too though...it's just their idea of what's funny and what supporting a club is about is different from that of our generation. They see an Instagram clip with 1000's of likes of a load of a rival clubs fans bouncing around on a concourse singing follow follow follow and chucking beer on each other and they want to replicate it for their own social media. That's their world and what they take pride in.

Our fans on 11:42 - Apr 4 with 1563 viewsfranniesTache

Our fans on 11:39 - Apr 4 by Buggalugs

This new bread lot are having fun and a laugh with their mates too though...it's just their idea of what's funny and what supporting a club is about is different from that of our generation. They see an Instagram clip with 1000's of likes of a load of a rival clubs fans bouncing around on a concourse singing follow follow follow and chucking beer on each other and they want to replicate it for their own social media. That's their world and what they take pride in.

yeah you're right, but i don't want my clothes covered in cheap lager and find it dull watching us morph into every other team.

What we need is a grumpy old man section of the ground and away end so we can enjoy ourselves and let the nippers get on with their social media crap away from us.

Maybe we should go back to the split away allocations you used to get.
Our fans on 11:49 - Apr 4 with 1549 viewsTripleNiemi

The more I would want is more wins and a higher league placing and maybe getting in to Europe.

I couldn't give two f'ks if we got that with silent fans like Arsenal or a load of jumping up and down mongs like Palace.

Would you be watching us in Europe (if we get back there) with remote in hand??

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Our fans on 12:01 - Apr 4 with 1537 viewsSonicBoom

It annoys me that we sing about beating Pompey 4-0
Yeah it was nice at the time but we are in the Premier League and they are league 1. We should be beating them 4-0. It's not an achievement and frankly singing about it makes us look pathetic.
Our fans on 13:44 - Apr 4 with 1472 viewsdarthvader

It goes with the results we are producing .
A month or more ago we were winning at spurs and drawing at man united the away support at those games and at home up to the west ham cup game around that time was fantastic .

keep the faith coyr

Our fans on 13:50 - Apr 4 with 1467 viewsSaintNick

Our fans on 13:44 - Apr 4 by darthvader

It goes with the results we are producing .
A month or more ago we were winning at spurs and drawing at man united the away support at those games and at home up to the west ham cup game around that time was fantastic .

I didn't think the noise levels on Saturday were that bad, yes the same old songs were trolled out, but we made a bit of noise, the problem was we were tucked in the corner under a low roof, it wasn't good for accoustics

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Login to get fewer ads

Our fans on 13:53 - Apr 4 with 1463 viewsPatfromPoole

Our fans on 13:50 - Apr 4 by SaintNick

I didn't think the noise levels on Saturday were that bad, yes the same old songs were trolled out, but we made a bit of noise, the problem was we were tucked in the corner under a low roof, it wasn't good for accoustics

Shouldn’t that be good for acoustics?

Our fans on 13:56 - Apr 4 with 1461 viewsSaintNick

Our fans on 13:53 - Apr 4 by PatfromPoole

Shouldn’t that be good for acoustics?

Only if the roof is open outwards otherwise the noise stays in

Our fans on 14:07 - Apr 4 with 1443 viewsericofarabia

Glad you said that Nick, as from where I was inthe lower tier it sounded pretty impressive. Admittedly I was suitably well lubricated!
Our fans on 14:40 - Apr 4 with 1416 viewsSonicBoom

Our fans on 09:58 - Apr 4 by dirk_doone

Hold on I don't think this had been given enough attention.
What .... and I mean this with the utmost sincerity..... the actual f u ck.

Is this what seriously passes for fashion now? That probably cost him about 20 grand to resemble Worzel Gummidge. Seriously young footballers will wear absolutely anything if there is a designer label slapped on it.
Our fans on 16:49 - Apr 4 with 1333 viewskingslandstand1

Our fans on 10:16 - Apr 4 by Chesham_Saint

Bloody hell! Check out the clogs on the fella on the right. Does he work in t’gunpowder store at t’Royal Armoury or summat?

That was actually their "star" player, a certain Kalvin Phillips who (well the shoes) was given a lot of airtime on T/Sport this morning. I mean, who goes round with a bag of sand on each foot!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/kalvin-phillips-leeds-united-shoes-
Our fans on 17:35 - Apr 4 with 1300 viewsericofarabia

Our fans on 14:40 - Apr 4 by SonicBoom

Hold on I don't think this had been given enough attention.
What .... and I mean this with the utmost sincerity..... the actual f u ck.

Is this what seriously passes for fashion now? That probably cost him about 20 grand to resemble Worzel Gummidge. Seriously young footballers will wear absolutely anything if there is a designer label slapped on it.

Deserves to miss out on a World Cup place for this alone, not taking into account he's not fit to tie JWP's laces!!
Our fans on 19:38 - Apr 4 with 1232 viewsdirk_doone

That's exactly why Leeds moved the away fans there.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 19:42]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Our fans on 19:59 - Apr 4 with 1206 viewsPatfromPoole

Our fans on 19:38 - Apr 4 by dirk_doone

That's exactly why Leeds moved the away fans there.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 19:42]

I was waiting for that……..

Our fans on 00:24 - Apr 5 with 1100 viewsdirk_doone

In spite of being stuck in a corner (who would choose to be there?) most Leeds fans were impressed by our support: https://www.facebook.com/TheAwayFans/photos/a.711176782268964/4949312031788730/

Our fans on 09:12 - Apr 5 with 982 viewsSaintNick

Our fans on 10:21 - Apr 4 by grumpy

The cost of Premiership football has stopped a lot of seasoned fans going.
The culture of bringing your phone to games and playing with it during the game is just sad.
The nature of going to football games started to change when we went to all seater stadiums(I know we had to) together with the cost to cover expenses like players wages etc.
Now we have VAR when we don't even know if we have scored a goal.
Gone are the days we could berate a Referee, he has technology now on his side.
Confrontation between rival fans was wrong when violence was involved we know but now we just have fans venting their frustrations by singing daft songs at each other.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 10:35]

Although I do agree with some of your points I would make a couple of points.

I don't think it is the cost, away games are only £30 around the same price that we paid at most of the away games we went to in the Championship 10 years ago.

Home games have been the same price for at least 8 years and a more fluid pricing structure has meant that you can actually go quite cheaply to most games.

Mobile phones are a pain in the ass, but they have been part of it for 10 years or more since smart phones emerged .

We have been going to all seater games now for 28 years at Southampton and that has been the case home or away for virtually every season other than the two years in League One and even then most away trips were all seater.

Fans have always sung daft songs at each other , there has been little violence actually in grounds since the 70's

Our fans on 09:35 - Apr 5 with 966 viewsBuggalugs

Our fans on 00:24 - Apr 5 by dirk_doone

In spite of being stuck in a corner (who would choose to be there?) most Leeds fans were impressed by our support: https://www.facebook.com/TheAwayFans/photos/a.711176782268964/4949312031788730/

Just goes to show how different people view support, so there's probably quite a lot of considerations to take into account; how often you go, how pissed or pumped up you are, whereabouts you are positioned within the ground etc. I didn't think we were that bad on Saturday in terms of loudness.....just the same old problem of absolutely no variety. I've definitely been to worse and I've definitely been to better.

Looking at that link, lots of Leeds in the comments say our support was class, whereas lots of others say it was gash. From my seat in the Chapel, I often think the support at home games is flat, so it surprises me to see the comments on here the next day about how good it was.

Our fans on 11:36 - Apr 5 with 906 viewsfranniesTache

Our fans on 00:24 - Apr 5 by dirk_doone

most of those comments seem to say we took decent numbers but made little noise, and only had one song, which seems about right to me
Our fans on 11:58 - Apr 5 with 893 viewsdirk_doone

Our fans on 09:35 - Apr 5 by Buggalugs

Just goes to show how different people view support, so there's probably quite a lot of considerations to take into account; how often you go, how pissed or pumped up you are, whereabouts you are positioned within the ground etc. I didn't think we were that bad on Saturday in terms of loudness.....just the same old problem of absolutely no variety. I've definitely been to worse and I've definitely been to better.

Looking at that link, lots of Leeds in the comments say our support was class, whereas lots of others say it was gash. From my seat in the Chapel, I often think the support at home games is flat, so it surprises me to see the comments on here the next day about how good it was.

You are right. There is a lot of subjectivity involved in opinions about how good or bad support is. Position in the stadium is a factor though. From the Kingsland North our vocal support, the loudest of which is in the Northam/Kingsland corner, can sound good but from the Kingsland South you barely notice it. The best home support at St Mary's is usually when the away team takes a smaller allocation so our home fans get most of the Northam; the worst is for FA Cup games when the away fans fill the Northam end. Of course, if our most vocal fans got behind the goal at the Chapel end for cup games and eventually for league games as well, it would solve the problem. Also if the away fans could be shifted into a corner, like they are at Leciester, you'd notice them less.

In my youth, it was all about getting directly behind the goal, home and away, in order to be seen and heard and I still think the best home support is at stadiums where their most vocal fans have a proper home end. The best home support I've seen anywhere in the world was from Boca Juniors fans at La Bombonera, where they have all of a big home end while the away fans are located high up in the upper tier at the opposite end: a bit like Newcastle.

Research into why home teams win more games found that the main reason was the influence of home fans on the officials and of course the best position to have an influence on key decisions like penalties is behind the goal. So many times at St Mary's I've seen the away fans in the Northam sway referees to award penalties, free-kicks and red and yellow cards while at the Chapel end the home fans don't. Meanwhile, our most fanatical fans, who could make a difference, are hidden away in the corners of the away end, where they are barely noticed on the pitch.

At Elland Road they deliberately moved the away fans to the side so they'd have less influence on the game while at Palace they moved their most vocal fans directly behind the goal and both of those clubs moved some season ticket holders in order to achieve that. Teams want any advantage they can get.

Rant over for the nth time.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 12:06]

Our fans on 13:31 - Apr 5 with 828 viewsPatfromPoole

Our fans on 11:58 - Apr 5 by dirk_doone

You are right. There is a lot of subjectivity involved in opinions about how good or bad support is. Position in the stadium is a factor though. From the Kingsland North our vocal support, the loudest of which is in the Northam/Kingsland corner, can sound good but from the Kingsland South you barely notice it. The best home support at St Mary's is usually when the away team takes a smaller allocation so our home fans get most of the Northam; the worst is for FA Cup games when the away fans fill the Northam end. Of course, if our most vocal fans got behind the goal at the Chapel end for cup games and eventually for league games as well, it would solve the problem. Also if the away fans could be shifted into a corner, like they are at Leciester, you'd notice them less.

In my youth, it was all about getting directly behind the goal, home and away, in order to be seen and heard and I still think the best home support is at stadiums where their most vocal fans have a proper home end. The best home support I've seen anywhere in the world was from Boca Juniors fans at La Bombonera, where they have all of a big home end while the away fans are located high up in the upper tier at the opposite end: a bit like Newcastle.

Research into why home teams win more games found that the main reason was the influence of home fans on the officials and of course the best position to have an influence on key decisions like penalties is behind the goal. So many times at St Mary's I've seen the away fans in the Northam sway referees to award penalties, free-kicks and red and yellow cards while at the Chapel end the home fans don't. Meanwhile, our most fanatical fans, who could make a difference, are hidden away in the corners of the away end, where they are barely noticed on the pitch.

At Elland Road they deliberately moved the away fans to the side so they'd have less influence on the game while at Palace they moved their most vocal fans directly behind the goal and both of those clubs moved some season ticket holders in order to achieve that. Teams want any advantage they can get.

Rant over for the nth time.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 12:06]

So what we want is a new ground with the following:-

- large covered single-tier stands behind both goals for home fans only
- a large two-tiered covered stand on one side for home fans only
- a crummy uncovered stand on the other side with no more than 6 rows, taking up the length of the pitch, exclusively for away fans; like at Wolves but without the roof and demented home fans in corporate boxes

40,000 capacity minimum obviously.

Knock St. Mary’s down and go for this template.

What’s not to like?

Our fans on 14:58 - Apr 5 with 766 viewsgrumpy

Are we the only club in the Premiership that has its most vocal fans in an end that they have to vacate when a big game is played?
Our fans on 15:25 - Apr 5 with 754 viewsSaintNick

Our fans on 14:58 - Apr 5 by grumpy

Are we the only club in the Premiership that has its most vocal fans in an end that they have to vacate when a big game is played?

Are we the only set of fans that moan about it for 20 years when the simple solution is right in front of them.

When St Mary's was opened it was built in a certain way, it was made quite clear that the Northam End would be away supporters in one half with an overspill for cup games.

For the 21st year running the solution is simple, but the majority of fans would go where the away fans are, if we moved the away supporters to the Chapel corner, then soon those in the Northam would migrate to next to them and would be complaining when they had to be moved for cup games, its deja vu.

The issue is not where the away fans are its where the home fans go

Our fans on 15:39 - Apr 5 with 736 viewsgrumpy

Our fans on 15:25 - Apr 5 by SaintNick

Are we the only set of fans that moan about it for 20 years when the simple solution is right in front of them.

When St Mary's was opened it was built in a certain way, it was made quite clear that the Northam End would be away supporters in one half with an overspill for cup games.

For the 21st year running the solution is simple, but the majority of fans would go where the away fans are, if we moved the away supporters to the Chapel corner, then soon those in the Northam would migrate to next to them and would be complaining when they had to be moved for cup games, its deja vu.

The issue is not where the away fans are its where the home fans go

'if we moved the away supporters to the Chapel corner, then soon those in the Northam would migrate to next to them'

No they wouldn't That's what happened in the 70/80s not now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024