Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What Ralph brings 09:35 - Apr 22 with 4370 viewsDorsetIan

One thing that's been constant throughout Ralph's time in charge has been the extraordinary inconsistency.

I've come to the conclusion that basically the team/squad we have is really not much better than those we had under Puel, Pellingrino & Hughes and the only difference it that Ralph has a greater ability to lift the team to a higher lever from time to time. You can see how his enthusiasm and positivity alone could do that.

But it can never last because all he is doing is pressing the turbo or nitrous oxide button from time to time - so we get a good performance or a brief run of good performances and then we revert back to our base performance level, which is not that good.

Last night's performance, as were the ones against Watford and Chelsea were as disappointing as anything we watched under those other three managers.

It's the hope that kills.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

What Ralph brings on 16:24 - Apr 22 with 1537 viewsSaintsforeverj

What Ralph brings on 16:20 - Apr 22 by MytchettSaint

I’ll use the Brentford manager as a comparison here

They went on a horrendous run but I didn’t see them getting spectacularly humped/ rolling over and dying.

They’ve got a similar budget to ours I’m guessing?

Why is it we’re not seeing them getting a shoeing as often and regularly as we seem to get? Their players seem to give a feck and don’t want to be embarrassed out on the pitch out of professional pride.

Every team is going to have an off day each season (so now I’ve said this they’re due a humping tomorrow) but I fully expect them to comfortably beat us in a few weeks when neither side has got anything but pride to play for.

I’m sorry but the manager sets the agenda.

Each season is becoming like Groundhog Day.

Huddersfield did a similar thing. They rode on a wave for one season in the PL. Every match is a cup final. Next year, when the novelty wears off, I bet Brentford struggle next year. The natural selection will take place in the end. Watford, Norwich, Bournemouth, Fulham, Swansea are the perfect examples. They have had decent managers but they don't get anywhere, ever.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 16:26]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

What Ralph brings on 16:29 - Apr 22 with 1519 viewsSaintsforeverj

And as if Man City arn't already good enough, they are signing one of the best young strikers in the world, to add to an already outstanding team. Must be Guardiola's great management skills. Never mind he has spent over a billion pounds.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61186121
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 16:31]

What Ralph brings on 17:07 - Apr 22 with 1495 viewspjt50

Careful what you wish for.

Out of the 30 seasons of the Premier League, we've been in it for 23. Only 10 clubs have done better. They're from London, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham & Newcastle.

If anything I'd say we punch above our weight.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

What Ralph brings on 17:37 - Apr 22 with 1447 viewsSaintsforeverj

What Ralph brings on 17:07 - Apr 22 by pjt50

Out of the 30 seasons of the Premier League, we've been in it for 23. Only 10 clubs have done better. They're from London, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham & Newcastle.

You've hit the nail on the head. As long as we arn't going down, history tells us it won't ever get much better unless we spend a lot of money on the team.

What Ralph brings on 17:47 - Apr 22 with 1436 viewsgrumpy

What Ralph brings on 17:07 - Apr 22 by pjt50

I think you are right there, pjt50.
When you consider the players we've sold its amazing we haven't found ourselves in the Div 1.before now.
What Ralph brings on 18:06 - Apr 22 with 1417 viewssledger

if we are confused by our managers tactics then imagine having to carry them out,and if our players turn in gutless performances that buck stops with him.Any one else notice in a game where all the pressure was on burnley at the latter stages of the first half burnley players laughing and smiling because it was so easy,only good thing game got moved and i couldnt go .
What Ralph brings on 19:00 - Apr 22 with 1378 viewssaintwizzler

What Ralph brings on 14:12 - Apr 22 by Saintsforeverj

Ralph certainly looks fed up and I wouldn't be surprised if he left at the end of the season but not sure as he has also said how he couldn't ask for a better job etc. People have to remember that he has had 3 years, but he has also had the lowest budget. He has had to run this team on a shoe string. Is there any recognition at all for this fact?

Plus, another manager might provide an enthusiasm boost, telling us what potential there is here blah blah blah. And then we soon get back in our place as we have done for the last 40 years. And we could still finish 9th, so let's see.

But nothing will change unless we invest more in the team. Next year and many years to come will still look like this.
Man City
Liverpool
Man U (with Ten Hag and money to spend)
Chelsea (they might be replaced by Newcastle)
Arsenal
Tottenham
Newcastle
West Ham
Villa
Leicester.

So where are things going to change? We still won't finish any higher. Who will we finish above regularly?
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 14:14]

Hassenhüttl walk away?
Only a fool would walk away from £115k a week.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

What Ralph brings on 20:15 - Apr 22 with 1324 viewsgrumpy

I can handle losing,we’re Saints after all but all too often the way we have lost was almost complete capitulation.
Login to get fewer ads

What Ralph brings on 20:36 - Apr 22 with 1305 viewssaint68

Pressing the Nitro!!.he's as deadly as covid..a fukin joke manager that everyone accepts as good as it gets fuk him off pronto. He's been the greatest manager for embarrassing scores and consecutive defeats in our history.he's fake news..and you suck that up like a lap dog desperately seeking control...he's a stain on our history. Nothing more Nothing less..

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

What Ralph brings on 21:53 - Apr 22 with 1252 viewsDorsetIan

What Ralph brings on 20:36 - Apr 22 by saint68

Pressing the Nitro!!.he's as deadly as covid..a fukin joke manager that everyone accepts as good as it gets fuk him off pronto. He's been the greatest manager for embarrassing scores and consecutive defeats in our history.he's fake news..and you suck that up like a lap dog desperately seeking control...he's a stain on our history. Nothing more Nothing less..

What a surprise to see you taking an extreme view on something. Quite out of character.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

What Ralph brings on 11:24 - Apr 23 with 1096 viewsJellybaby

I have always said that Ralph and Saints are a good fit. We all hate the embarrassing thrashings and they are a stain on our history, but Ralph can rouse the team to new heights which give us unexpected joys as well.

Saints are probably exactly where we should be in the league table. I don't think under Ralph we will get relegated, we will continue to be an incredibly streaky team, but we look like an established Premiership side that a lot of fans of other clubs would give their right arm for.

Are you still hoping for Big Sam to ride to the rescue Ian??

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

What Ralph brings on 11:33 - Apr 23 with 1088 viewsMytchettSaint

What Ralph brings on 11:24 - Apr 23 by Jellybaby

I have always said that Ralph and Saints are a good fit. We all hate the embarrassing thrashings and they are a stain on our history, but Ralph can rouse the team to new heights which give us unexpected joys as well.

Saints are probably exactly where we should be in the league table. I don't think under Ralph we will get relegated, we will continue to be an incredibly streaky team, but we look like an established Premiership side that a lot of fans of other clubs would give their right arm for.

How many times has big Sam lost 9-0?

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

What Ralph brings on 11:42 - Apr 23 with 1075 viewssaintwizzler

What Ralph brings on 11:33 - Apr 23 by MytchettSaint

Twice!!

There’s not many that have done it once in The Premier League.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

What Ralph brings on 11:45 - Apr 23 with 1073 viewsJellybaby

What Ralph brings on 11:33 - Apr 23 by MytchettSaint

You make such a compelling argument Mytchett..... On that basis we could employ any of the abject managers that have tried their hand at football management.

The truth is a Ralph side always seems to have another humiliation in them, if we can't live with that then yes he should go, if we can then I'm reasonably confident he will give us Prem football for the rest of his tenure.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

What Ralph brings on 12:45 - Apr 23 with 1045 viewsMytchettSaint

What Ralph brings on 11:45 - Apr 23 by Jellybaby

You make such a compelling argument Mytchett..... On that basis we could employ any of the abject managers that have tried their hand at football management.

The truth is a Ralph side always seems to have another humiliation in them, if we can't live with that then yes he should go, if we can then I'm reasonably confident he will give us Prem football for the rest of his tenure.

I don’t want big Sam - believe me!

My fear with Ralph is that these abject runs of form will be our undoing. He’s clearly not able to impact or change tactics quickly enough when things are going wrong. The Chelsea game as case point. They’d hit the woodwork twice and were cutting us apart with ease. That should have been evidence enough we were set up wrongly to counter their attacking threat. Ralph stood there with his hands stuck in his pocket. At 4-0 he decided to make a change. He has his play book, when it works, it works well and we all enjoy it.

Aside from his tactical issues I’m also concerned about the teams apparent lack of motivation once we hit the 38 point mark. If premier league survival is the goal and all bets are off once it’s achieved why on earth put out that team in a cup quarter final at home? What is it we’re doing each and every season aside from going through the motions? I make no apologies for wanting to see my team have a bit of fight about them.

I don’t have an answer as to who could replace him, that’s not down to me. I also understand there are fans who are happy with him. Good for them. I don’t have an issue with Ralph himself. It is the frequency of humiliations that come with him I have an issue with.

What Ralph brings on 14:43 - Apr 23 with 998 viewsBerber

What Ralph brings on 14:12 - Apr 22 by Ron11

From what I saw last night, he has one or two players who are either just not interested anymore (Broja for example) just not very good (Valery for example) one on ramadan (he wasn't interested) and yet he starts them in preference to the the likes of Che Adams, Nathan Redmond and even Adam Armstrong.
Some don't rate Redmond, but almost as soon as he came on last he put a lovely chip over the top straight to Adams who unfortunately blazed it straight at Pope.
And how is Adam Armstrong going to get a chance at a goal if he's not on the pitch?
Broja, Elyounoussi and Valery (we had a back four, Walker -Peters, Bednarek Lyanco and Perraud) either did absolutely fu ck all or in Valery's case caused chaos.And yet they were still on at the start of the second half.
That's down to Hassenhutl.

Salisu has been excellent for most of the season. He is still pretty young, and a lot of his recent downturn in form has been due to the lazy passing from Bednarek et al who pass it to him as they are too chicken to do anything themselves, and the opposition latch on to that. I don't think his head has been turned, but time will tell.

Valery I agree with, not good enough and needs to be moved on. No more chances.

A Armstrong has done virtually nothing in any of the games he has played, and I presume that he isn't showing it in training either, compared to Long, who really shouldn't get a look in. At least Broja looks capable of imposing a real threat, which seems to be more than the rest of our forwards put together.

Redmond has had several seasons to prove himself, and what we have learned is he has one decent game followed by quite a lot of mediocre ones, until he is dropped again. The problem is that nobody, including himself knows when the good game is due.

Bednarek and Valery in the back 4 are more often than not are liable to be caught out and out of position, and as you say, Valery is always capable of an inexplicable c0ck up. Against Aesenal, it just about worked because they were mostly pressed back, and managed last ditch interventions.
What Ralph brings on 17:13 - Apr 23 with 938 views1ASIN12

I’ve said all season that I thought that Saints were a bottom 6 side with the squad of players we have .

By over achieving for those 2 months or so we gave ourselves a good chance of pushing for 11th / 10 th place .

However recent results and our form suggests that 14/15 th is more likely .

We do have some winnable games on paper to push on . We’ve a good record recently at both Brighton and Leicester and we should be capable of getting something from Brentford . Palace at home is winnable .

Whether the team and manager are capable of pushing on and getting those results is another question though.
What Ralph brings on 18:29 - Apr 23 with 884 viewsButty101

What Ralph brings on 17:13 - Apr 23 by 1ASIN12

I’ve said all season that I thought that Saints were a bottom 6 side with the squad of players we have .

By over achieving for those 2 months or so we gave ourselves a good chance of pushing for 11th / 10 th place .

However recent results and our form suggests that 14/15 th is more likely .

We do have some winnable games on paper to push on . We’ve a good record recently at both Brighton and Leicester and we should be capable of getting something from Brentford . Palace at home is winnable .

Whether the team and manager are capable of pushing on and getting those results is another question though.

We should of taken Howe when we had the choice. He was always my choice and done a great job with Newcastle.
We have several players courted by bigger clubs and I would argue Ralph has poorly utilised the squad.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

What Ralph brings on 18:51 - Apr 23 with 877 viewsMrangry25

To be honest and having read the posts I am going to put this out there. Given the fact that we have a bang average squad who now and again manage to play some decent football does anyone believe or think that RH has it in him to manage a better squad?. In my opinion the answer is no, I dont believe he has any tactical nous about him what so ever, which has been apparent over the time he has been with us.
What Ralph brings on 20:13 - Apr 23 with 848 viewsgrumpy

I wonder sometime is there enough discipline at the club.
What Ralph brings on 21:36 - Apr 23 with 819 viewsMessysaints

What Ralph brings on 18:51 - Apr 23 by Mrangry25

To be honest and having read the posts I am going to put this out there. Given the fact that we have a bang average squad who now and again manage to play some decent football does anyone believe or think that RH has it in him to manage a better squad?. In my opinion the answer is no, I dont believe he has any tactical nous about him what so ever, which has been apparent over the time he has been with us.

Most top club managers never change style of play.... formation ( rarely) and extra instructions maybe, game plans and so on, but most clubs dont swap and change style, would be a waste of time trying to train the whole first team / club to play one style and look for transfers likely to fit into this system......

How often do you see City or Liverppol, or even the great barca team swapping and changing style? havent barca played tikitaka football since 1990? under cruyff? some thing like that any way untill our old Manager tried to change it n got sacked for not playing it ( And had them looking horrible and struggling... )....... whats that 32 years?

We have a poor team... give Ralph Van dyke, Fonte, Mane, and Lambert / Pelle and tadic and i reckon he would have done better than RK......

For the moeny he has spent, he has done a good job with the bunch of wastefull attacking players we have eg redders ( Is rlly good on his day... but very rare ) , theo, Eli ( I like Armstrong so ill leave him out ), Even Broja hasnt scored for months...
What Ralph brings on 10:15 - Apr 24 with 713 viewsBicester_North

What Ralph brings on 21:36 - Apr 23 by Messysaints

Most top club managers never change style of play.... formation ( rarely) and extra instructions maybe, game plans and so on, but most clubs dont swap and change style, would be a waste of time trying to train the whole first team / club to play one style and look for transfers likely to fit into this system......

How often do you see City or Liverppol, or even the great barca team swapping and changing style? havent barca played tikitaka football since 1990? under cruyff? some thing like that any way untill our old Manager tried to change it n got sacked for not playing it ( And had them looking horrible and struggling... )....... whats that 32 years?

We have a poor team... give Ralph Van dyke, Fonte, Mane, and Lambert / Pelle and tadic and i reckon he would have done better than RK......

For the moeny he has spent, he has done a good job with the bunch of wastefull attacking players we have eg redders ( Is rlly good on his day... but very rare ) , theo, Eli ( I like Armstrong so ill leave him out ), Even Broja hasnt scored for months...

The players are such cretins, they are either not good enough or not performing their jobs properly, they should be threatened with career ending scenarios unless they shape up or ship out.

It needs a large, elderly English manager like Allardyce to chew gum and set up defensively, or Howe who doesn’t chew gum but is at least English.

In fact if we could combine those two the players will immediately become good at football or decide to do the jobs they are paid for again.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

What Ralph brings on 10:49 - Apr 24 with 693 viewsMytchettSaint

What Ralph brings on 21:36 - Apr 23 by Messysaints

All teams change formations though to counter threats. Be it an extra midfielder when you are being overrun in the middle, an extra attacker when you’re chasing a game. Whilst your style of play may be your style of play, you have to be adaptable. Something Ralph it seems fails to grasp.

What Ralph brings on 12:21 - Apr 24 with 641 viewssaint22

What Ralph brings on 18:29 - Apr 23 by Butty101

We should of taken Howe when we had the choice. He was always my choice and done a great job with Newcastle.
We have several players courted by bigger clubs and I would argue Ralph has poorly utilised the squad.

I am inclined to agree, think we should have and look at them now, 4 points clear of us!!

I think we need a clear out and new staff, coaches and players in

Will that happen, i doubt it
What Ralph brings on 13:00 - Apr 24 with 614 viewsBerber

What Ralph brings on 11:24 - Apr 23 by Jellybaby

I hate to say this, but I agree with you, 😂
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024