Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of ambition 14:38 - Jul 17 with 6770 viewsGRIM

We were all optimistic when the club got nice new owners, but it looks as if they have no interest in winning football matches, they are only concerned about making money.
The policy of buying young players, giving them game time to raise their profile then selling them on at a profit makes good business sense but it does not win you football matches.
Every genuine Saints supporter knows that we have 3 major problems which are a crap goalkeeper ( McCarthy) + rubbish ctr backs + no goalscorers.
OK, Bazuna may improve the goalkeeping problem but that won't help if we're can't defend set pieces & we're not likely to score.
It doesn't help when we have a manager that appears to pick players based on his relationship with them rather than picking the best players.
I'm fed up with this season & it hasn't started yet.
Come on Saints give us all something to be optimistic about, spend some £'s & get some quality in ASAP.
Lack of ambition on 11:13 - Jul 18 with 1728 viewsPatfromPoole

Lack of ambition on 11:04 - Jul 18 by Buggalugs

What a miserable lot.

We've made 4 or 5 signings nice and early (un-heard of with us in previous seasons) and there's still 6 weeks of the window left. Yes, most of them are gambles, but all signings are. Proven Premier League quality players are out of our price range and always have/will be, meaning we have to take punts on either youth, lower-league, injury-prone, un-fancied or foreign.

That's the reality ffs, so suck it up buttercups. At least we have a strategy now and are making some moves.

I think most of us can see how this is going to play out.

We will make a glut of signings in the last few days of August of the type of player Buggalugs is referring to.

We do have winnable games before then, and it could ultimately prove costly if we don’t strengthen the side before then.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Lack of ambition on 13:56 - Jul 18 with 1581 viewsTripleNiemi

Lack of ambition on 11:02 - Jul 18 by saints__fan__73

Possibly not. Our fate could be done and dusted before the clocks go forward.

Would like to say i am bothered, but quite honestly i'm not either way.....

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Lack of ambition on 15:04 - Jul 18 with 1532 viewssaints__fan__73

Lack of ambition on 13:56 - Jul 18 by TripleNiemi

Would like to say i am bothered, but quite honestly i'm not either way.....

I think a lot of fans are like that. We don't have the financial power to have a right to be in the PL.

If our 'business model' is to take kids and given them experience of league football before selling them on to a bigger club then fair enough but I'd actually rather be doing that in the Championship where we can win a few games than in the PL where we are just an opponent to play the teams that the foreign TV audience wants to watch.

The football equivalent of the team that used to play the Harlem Globetrotters every game. No one ever bought a ticket to see them play...

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Lack of ambition on 15:57 - Jul 18 with 1495 viewsSadoldgit

For a period last season it showed that the model worked. If the new players coming in can provide more consistency then there is no reason why we can’t have a half decent season. We aren’t alone in being unable to match the big clubs for spending power so if this is the way we need to do things, so be it. I’m really not bothered with how much we spend on players, the main thing is finding quality and those who will fit in to the system.
Lack of ambition on 16:16 - Jul 18 with 1465 viewsRon11

Lack of ambition on 21:37 - Jul 17 by 1teeminants

I agree as it stands it’s not great at the moment let’s see what these new guys are like and wait til the window shuts before making judgment.

Ralph has said this.

SaintsExtra
@SaintsExtra
·
Follow
Ralph Hasenhuttl: "We still need to bring some players in, and we know this. Especially up front, for example, where we lost players. Everybody knows we need to do something there, and the earlier they come, the better it is." #saintsfc [sfc youtube]

Yes, Ralph.
We may have a new striker up front, who'll score one goal, then suddenly on your instruction, we'll drop deep, invite the opposing side on to the attack, pass sideways and back, inevitably give the ball away and concede two, (one at the near post of course).
Hopefully the new coaches will put a stop to that nonsense.
Lack of ambition on 16:20 - Jul 18 with 1462 viewssaints__fan__73

Lack of ambition on 16:16 - Jul 18 by Ron11

Yes, Ralph.
We may have a new striker up front, who'll score one goal, then suddenly on your instruction, we'll drop deep, invite the opposing side on to the attack, pass sideways and back, inevitably give the ball away and concede two, (one at the near post of course).

We've been doing that since the 90s tbf.

Lack of ambition on 16:33 - Jul 18 with 1437 viewswashington_saint

Blimey - keep taking the happy pills you lot!

What is anyone expecting? Us to go and splash 30 million on one player? Not going to happen and I applaud the club for their approach. It worked with Tino and Broja last year and hopefully we have some more gems.

It's always going to be about balancing the books/looking to turn a profit. I'm sure most of you here whining were applauding Everton's galactico signings the last few years. How well did that turn out? Mediocre players on high wages no-one else wants to buy. Similar to our model in the latter years of Les Reed
Lack of ambition on 16:35 - Jul 18 with 1436 views1885_SFC

* (Get it in early)

I don't luck the Premier League. Shove it up your arse. I'd be happier in the Championship, Proper fans. Better places to visit for the day, etc etc etc...

Old School is Cool

Login to get fewer ads

Lack of ambition on 16:46 - Jul 18 with 1406 viewssaints__fan__73

Lack of ambition on 16:33 - Jul 18 by washington_saint

What is anyone expecting? Us to go and splash 30 million on one player? Not going to happen and I applaud the club for their approach. It worked with Tino and Broja last year and hopefully we have some more gems.

It's always going to be about balancing the books/looking to turn a profit. I'm sure most of you here whining were applauding Everton's galactico signings the last few years. How well did that turn out? Mediocre players on high wages no-one else wants to buy. Similar to our model in the latter years of Les Reed

Well every other PL team is able to, why are we different ?

Last year was it 'working' was it? If that's working then there's precious little left in it for the fans...

Lack of ambition on 16:46 - Jul 18 with 1409 viewsPatfromPoole

Lack of ambition on 16:33 - Jul 18 by washington_saint

I don’t think anybody expects us to spunk £30 million on a player or to go cavalier with the wage structure.

We however have a number of players who are clearly not good enough for the League we are in, and unfortunately they are in key positions at both ends of the pitch.

We are a long way from even being able to compete for mid-table.

Two CB’s and two strikers are a must. As is a goalkeeper unless Bazunu can make the grade as a starter for the first-team.

Lack of ambition on 17:28 - Jul 18 with 1381 views1885_SFC

Let's be honest, the (new) owners are looking at Fulham, Bournemouth & Forest and know that all 3 of those will struggle - which they will. So will 2 or 3 other clubs because they always do. Our 'aim' is probably to finish 15th or 16th this coming season which will be deemed a success with all the youngsters we've added to the squad. There will be hope the season after that because having had a season together, the kids will improve the following year where, in all likelihood, the owners will be expecting a 10th/12th finish.

That's the plan and I'd wager a bet on it being so.

Old School is Cool

Lack of ambition on 18:22 - Jul 18 with 1344 viewsfelly1

Lack of ambition on 17:28 - Jul 18 by 1885_SFC

Let's be honest, the (new) owners are looking at Fulham, Bournemouth & Forest and know that all 3 of those will struggle - which they will. So will 2 or 3 other clubs because they always do. Our 'aim' is probably to finish 15th or 16th this coming season which will be deemed a success with all the youngsters we've added to the squad. There will be hope the season after that because having had a season together, the kids will improve the following year where, in all likelihood, the owners will be expecting a 10th/12th finish.

This
Lack of ambition on 18:25 - Jul 18 with 1339 viewsBerber

Lack of ambition on 16:46 - Jul 18 by saints__fan__73

Last year was it 'working' was it? If that's working then there's precious little left in it for the fans...

This, the invest to sell model offers very little for the fans. It should be invest to win, but we see very little evidence of that.
Lack of ambitio on 19:18 - Jul 18 with 1306 viewsDellHero_Would

Some good points made on this thread. Ask yourself this. If you were worth 500 million would you invest the major part on a load of half arsed footballers?…Probably not is the answer. Unless your pumping out a million barrels of oil every minute.

So we’re stuck with the current “model”. The PL is finished.

Poll: Wearing a mask

Lack of ambition on 19:20 - Jul 18 with 1299 viewsPatfromPoole

Lack of ambition on 17:28 - Jul 18 by 1885_SFC

I think Forest may be OK.

I’m hoping Brentford have second season syndrome without Eriksen.

Lack of ambition on 19:43 - Jul 18 with 1245 viewsElijahK

Lack of ambition on 16:46 - Jul 18 by saints__fan__73

But “every other” PL team isn’t doing it.
As at least half of them don’t, as all of the likes of Fulham, Bournemouth, Forest, Brentford, Brighton, Palace all spend similar amounts to us, and that’s over a third of the league. And even then, the likes of Wolves, Leicester, Villa, spend more than us, but nothing compared to the “top 6”.

As this link just shows how it’s only really the “top 6”, Villa, Newcastle, West Ham and Wolves that spend loads more than us. And that’s just down to the owners they have, as our new one certainly doesn’t seem to be at their level, but he sure does spend more than many of our previous ones have, which is still better than what other teams have.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/net-spend-premier-league-clubs-2017-r

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Lack of ambition on 21:35 - Jul 18 with 1189 viewsGRIM

Lack of ambition on 19:20 - Jul 18 by PatfromPoole

I think Forest may be OK.

I’m hoping Brentford have second season syndrome without Eriksen.

We all keep saying that we need experience
In our dodgy defence. But Bednarek & Stephen's are very experienced, Bednarek has played many games for Poland. But it's no good being experienced if you don't have the quality. Stephen's has never been good enough to play in the Premier lge, he's lge one material, he's never improved since he joined the club. Bednarek could probably get by if he had a Jose Fonte along side of him but he doesn't have that luxury. That leaves Salisu + Lyanco who are both raw, reckless & unreliable. The new guy Kotchup (or whatever his name is) is an unknown quantity, so only time will tell.
Saints won't pay 30m for a player because any player of that value would command huge wages (in excess of 75k a week). Saints policy is to get two average players whose combined weekly wage would be less than 75k.
So you get two for the price of one,
BUT, you can only play eleven & quality always beats quantity.
The lack of quality at the club needs shrewd management & unfortunately Ralph just doesn't have the ability to manage this average squad.
Lack of ambition on 22:14 - Jul 18 with 1159 viewsPatfromPoole

Lack of ambition on 21:35 - Jul 18 by GRIM

We all keep saying that we need experience
In our dodgy defence. But Bednarek & Stephen's are very experienced, Bednarek has played many games for Poland. But it's no good being experienced if you don't have the quality. Stephen's has never been good enough to play in the Premier lge, he's lge one material, he's never improved since he joined the club. Bednarek could probably get by if he had a Jose Fonte along side of him but he doesn't have that luxury. That leaves Salisu + Lyanco who are both raw, reckless & unreliable. The new guy Kotchup (or whatever his name is) is an unknown quantity, so only time will tell.
Saints won't pay 30m for a player because any player of that value would command huge wages (in excess of 75k a week). Saints policy is to get two average players whose combined weekly wage would be less than 75k.
So you get two for the price of one,
BUT, you can only play eleven & quality always beats quantity.
The lack of quality at the club needs shrewd management & unfortunately Ralph just doesn't have the ability to manage this average squad.

Stephens got turned inside out in our penalty area in the first-half tonight.

Very nearly led to a goal for the oppo.

I can’t believe we offered him a new contract.

He still seems to be living off the League Cup semi-final at Anfield in 2017.

Lack of ambition on 23:06 - Jul 18 with 1124 views1ASIN12

Lack of ambition on 09:48 - Jul 18 by saints__fan__73

This has the feel of the Poortvliet/Woote season to it.

Yes it certainly does so far though the difference is we’ve spent 40 odd million .

Not convinced we’ve spent the money wisely but time will tell and as others have did the windows not shut yet .
Lack of ambition on 23:16 - Jul 18 with 1119 viewsPatfromPoole

Lack of ambition on 23:06 - Jul 18 by 1ASIN12

Yes it certainly does so far though the difference is we’ve spent 40 odd million .

Not convinced we’ve spent the money wisely but time will tell and as others have did the windows not shut yet .

I think the signings we have made are potentially very good.

Lavia and Bazunu both look very promising; need to see more of the German CB.

We however need at least 5 more players who can go straight into the first team:-

- two strikers
- two CB’s (Stephens and Lyanco are simply not up to it)
- a versatile full-back

We need a keeper as well, though I am hoping Bazunu will fit the bill.

Lack of ambition on 08:12 - Jul 19 with 1032 viewssaint22

Lack of ambition on 16:16 - Jul 18 by Ron11

Yes, Ralph.

Yes Ralph but your tactics dont seem to keep those who are here happy and off they go

Its crazy we are so short up from and in the centre of defence STILL
Lack of ambition on 10:29 - Jul 19 with 970 viewssaints__fan__73

Lack of ambition on 19:43 - Jul 18 by ElijahK

But “every other” PL team isn’t doing it.
As at least half of them don’t, as all of the likes of Fulham, Bournemouth, Forest, Brentford, Brighton, Palace all spend similar amounts to us, and that’s over a third of the league. And even then, the likes of Wolves, Leicester, Villa, spend more than us, but nothing compared to the “top 6”.

As this link just shows how it’s only really the “top 6”, Villa, Newcastle, West Ham and Wolves that spend loads more than us. And that’s just down to the owners they have, as our new one certainly doesn’t seem to be at their level, but he sure does spend more than many of our previous ones have, which is still better than what other teams have.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/net-spend-premier-league-clubs-2017-r

We're just about the longest tenured PL club apart from the big boys so absurd to lump us with the 3 promoted clubs and Brentford who came up last year.

And you've pasted a link that literally shows Brighton have a net spend of 160m more than us!

Our new owners 'sure does' spend more. How exactly? Like Gao before the new lot haven't put in a single penny of their own cash and have shown zero indication they will ever do so. The club spends what it generates, same as always.

The reason we might have more money this window is that we have ridded ourselves of the financial liabilities of useless players signed previously. Even if Gao was still here we would still have more to spend.

Nothing has changed in financial terms with the new owners.

Lack of ambition on 10:56 - Jul 19 with 934 viewsElijahK

Lack of ambition on 10:29 - Jul 19 by saints__fan__73

We're just about the longest tenured PL club apart from the big boys so absurd to lump us with the 3 promoted clubs and Brentford who came up last year.

And you've pasted a link that literally shows Brighton have a net spend of 160m more than us!

Our new owners 'sure does' spend more. How exactly? Like Gao before the new lot haven't put in a single penny of their own cash and have shown zero indication they will ever do so. The club spends what it generates, same as always.

The reason we might have more money this window is that we have ridded ourselves of the financial liabilities of useless players signed previously. Even if Gao was still here we would still have more to spend.

Nothing has changed in financial terms with the new owners.

Well why is it we’ve had such a rise in transfer sales?
As soo far we’ve basically spent £40mill on players and sold no one, meaning that our net spend I’d fr -£40mil, and we’re pretty certain to be signing at least 2/3 new players. So in the end we’ll have probably spent like £60mill by the end of the season.
And for player sales wise, well other than KWP, it doesn’t look like anyone will be going anywhere, and even then I don’t see KWP leaving us this season.
So our NET spend will probably be like -£60mill for this season, which isn’t anywhere near as much as other teams are spending (although money doesn’t always turn out soo great as Everton and Fulham have shown), but is still more than we’ve ever spent (as in NET spend) in a transfer market.

So that all shows that we still aren’t at the levels we all want to be and probably won’t be competing for Europe for a while, but this new owner is still giving us a lot more money to spend that we’ve previously had, whether that be due to them investing more or giving us a bit more freedom with it, which is why we shouldn’t really be complaining as it’s better than what we’ve had in the past and for all we know we may finally sign a player for like £30mill when we get a new centre half or striker, but until the transfer window closes, then we can’t really say much.

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Lack of ambition on 11:20 - Jul 19 with 934 viewssaints__fan__73

Lack of ambition on 10:56 - Jul 19 by ElijahK

Well why is it we’ve had such a rise in transfer sales?
As soo far we’ve basically spent £40mill on players and sold no one, meaning that our net spend I’d fr -£40mil, and we’re pretty certain to be signing at least 2/3 new players. So in the end we’ll have probably spent like £60mill by the end of the season.
And for player sales wise, well other than KWP, it doesn’t look like anyone will be going anywhere, and even then I don’t see KWP leaving us this season.
So our NET spend will probably be like -£60mill for this season, which isn’t anywhere near as much as other teams are spending (although money doesn’t always turn out soo great as Everton and Fulham have shown), but is still more than we’ve ever spent (as in NET spend) in a transfer market.

So that all shows that we still aren’t at the levels we all want to be and probably won’t be competing for Europe for a while, but this new owner is still giving us a lot more money to spend that we’ve previously had, whether that be due to them investing more or giving us a bit more freedom with it, which is why we shouldn’t really be complaining as it’s better than what we’ve had in the past and for all we know we may finally sign a player for like £30mill when we get a new centre half or striker, but until the transfer window closes, then we can’t really say much.

I explained why. We have finally ridded ourselves of all of the dead wood (inc Forsters huge contract) so have more financial flexibility.

We spent £55m in the Summer we bought in Ings so the same sort of level. And don't forget I think it's unlikely that we don't sell anyone before the end of the window.

I'd be interested to see why you think 'the owner is giving us more money'. The new lot have already said they aren't investing from their own pockets so yes, we may have more to spend this Summer as previously mentioned we have got rid of all of the Reed deadwood now but we would have had that amount to spend even if Gao was still the owner. The club spends what it generates and nothing more. What evidence do you have to say this is not the case?

And let's not forget that the our turgid end to the season was preceded by a January transfer window where the new owners didn't spend a single penny...

Lack of ambition on 14:48 - Jul 19 with 841 viewsButty101

Lack of ambition on 11:20 - Jul 19 by saints__fan__73

I explained why. We have finally ridded ourselves of all of the dead wood (inc Forsters huge contract) so have more financial flexibility.

We spent £55m in the Summer we bought in Ings so the same sort of level. And don't forget I think it's unlikely that we don't sell anyone before the end of the window.

I'd be interested to see why you think 'the owner is giving us more money'. The new lot have already said they aren't investing from their own pockets so yes, we may have more to spend this Summer as previously mentioned we have got rid of all of the Reed deadwood now but we would have had that amount to spend even if Gao was still the owner. The club spends what it generates and nothing more. What evidence do you have to say this is not the case?

And let's not forget that the our turgid end to the season was preceded by a January transfer window where the new owners didn't spend a single penny...

We have as much dead wood in the squad as ever Mccarthy, Cabellero, Lynanco, Stephens Walcott, Dnepo, redmond and Diallo.

The reason we can spunk a bit of cash is that we brought a surplus 20mill last season,

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024