Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grimsby (h) Match Thread 07:14 - Aug 12 with 23437 viewsHullDale

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 17:40 - Aug 13 with 4095 viewsJames1980

If he was on such shakey ground going into the season that if we lost the first 3 games, there were going to be serious calls for Stockdale to be sacked he should have been let go off at the end of last season. (yes I know I have already said this)

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 17:43 - Aug 13 with 4037 viewsBarrowdale

Well I was wrong last week. We’re only 6 off the play offs. Tbf is was chuffing hot
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 17:49 - Aug 13 with 3962 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 17:40 - Aug 13 by James1980

If he was on such shakey ground going into the season that if we lost the first 3 games, there were going to be serious calls for Stockdale to be sacked he should have been let go off at the end of last season. (yes I know I have already said this)

I don't think any of us expected to have such a poor start, in fact there was a distinct optimism around the Club a month ago......that's down the pan now.

No doubt RS will be "giving the players a right good talking too" but it's not working.

Who would be a Board member tonight. Big call.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 17:56 - Aug 13 with 3841 views442Dale

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 17:40 - Aug 13 by James1980

The ground shakes because of the extension of last season. The inevitability is what Stockdale is fighting. I’m sure he realises that too.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 17:59 - Aug 13 with 3790 viewssince58

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 17:17 - Aug 13 by 442Dale

We weren’t awful in the second half but we definitely tired and it probably needed more changes if only for fresh legs in midfield. The unforced errors went through the roof and we didn’t put them on any near the sort of pressure as we had in the first half.

It’s the missed chances that are really costing us and it was almost inevitable that going in at the break at 0-0 would result in what happened. I know there will be the ‘another set-piece’ remarks, and that’s understandable, but it adds to the frustration because we defended them pretty well throughout until the goal.

Not sure what the answer is, that alone has to be the biggest concern because we can all see there’s potential there for a side that gets results but there is obviously something missing. It could be confidence, it could be something that might be impossible to achieve, it’s the not knowing that adds to the frustration.

Frustration can’t be allowed to continue over a period of weeks and months. That’s not being negative, that’s the challenge.

Whats missing is a manager. End of.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:08 - Aug 13 with 3688 viewsrich_dale

Scoring goals remains the biggest problem. We'll play worse and win. That said, the 2nd half was poor and no plan B emerged. Could see the winner coming a mile off but better finishing should have made the 2nd half irrelevant. I don't go to all the games - now seen 1 goal in the last 6 games I've been to (2 home, 4 away).
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:11 - Aug 13 with 3661 viewsswiggy

He needs to go, talks a great game but on the pitch we’re rubbish. At fans forum RS was asked about zonal marking at free kicks his answer was schoolboy to say the least but at least said “if it’s not working we’ll change it, 3 games, 3 goals conceded from set pieces FFS Robbie, it’s not working!!! 3 at the back, it’s not working!!! Just an extension of last seasons crap which RS was excused for because of the time he’d had, now it’s his team, his tactics, his fault.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:14 - Aug 13 with 3613 viewsShun

There’s a lot of continued talk about 5 at the back again on Twitter. The formation wasn’t the problem today. 442 said something similar last week. We played well and shouldn’t have lost, and the two wing-backs impressed. In the first half in particular they were running through Grimsby at will.

We lost because of some profligacy in front of goal and our ceaseless ineptitude at set pieces. The Henderson experiment hasn’t worked yet and I’d be resting him next match. I’m sure when he gets that first goal he’ll score a few but he’s a passenger at the moment. Rodney my MOM.
Login to get fewer ads

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:22 - Aug 13 with 3549 viewsboromat

We were brilliant again in that first half could a should a been 3 up at half time (We've said that quite a bit before!). But the performance was there and gives us some hope. Not surprisingly we couldn't keep that sort of energy up for 90 minutes on a day like today but even if you slow down you need to keep the quality up and there were too many fouls and silly wayward passes in that second half that just made the job harder for ourselves. Even then I felt we deserved a point and conceding at the end was bitterly disappointing.

Needed more energy and some subs. Robbie mentions in the post match that he had 3 to come on but was hindered with John looking like he might need to come off and him only having one more stoppage available. I think it was still a mistake one of the 3 should have been swapped and John comes off as a precaution for me. But I don't know how Big Jim is looking in training I suppose.

2 away games now are probably at the right time before the home crowd gets too toxic. Points needed!! I feel we're not a million miles away now, but let's see.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:24 - Aug 13 with 3520 viewsDaleiLama

Gutted. Ironically, I called in at Bower Fold on my way to the grim Grimsby fixture and the youth team played lights out in the first 30 minutes too, but they got the goal to show for it before falling to a 3-2 defeat.

What a horrible team the cod heads were ..... dropping like flies, niggly and stooping to whatever tactics necessary to disrupt us. The worst part was Ibbi being unplayable so they kicked him every time they could get near him.

None of that is an excuse for getting nothing from that game. We have ability. We have speed in some areas. We have players who can run at a team. What we lack far too often is a killer instinct. The concerning thing is I don't know where that is going to come from. One of Robbie's comments was we were good at home last season cos we drew a lot of games and needed to convert some of those to wins. So far we've turned two into losses. Worrying would be an understatement.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:24 - Aug 13 with 3519 viewstony_roch975

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:14 - Aug 13 by Shun

There’s a lot of continued talk about 5 at the back again on Twitter. The formation wasn’t the problem today. 442 said something similar last week. We played well and shouldn’t have lost, and the two wing-backs impressed. In the first half in particular they were running through Grimsby at will.

We lost because of some profligacy in front of goal and our ceaseless ineptitude at set pieces. The Henderson experiment hasn’t worked yet and I’d be resting him next match. I’m sure when he gets that first goal he’ll score a few but he’s a passenger at the moment. Rodney my MOM.

agree about some of that but I thought Rodney was way off his performance against Burton - none of the little turns worked, he often got outmuscled and where he was so effective on Tuesday laying the ball off & linking play it didn't work today. Also Grimsby didn't play as high a line so there were fewer opportunities for balls over the top which worked for him on Tuesday

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:32 - Aug 13 with 3443 viewsKenBoon

Little quality anywhere in the squad. A tactical genius would struggle to get results. I want Stockade to do well, but fundamentally I think this squad - all his work - is not good enough to compete at this level. His successor will have a lot of squad shape-shifting to do.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:34 - Aug 13 with 3431 viewsSaxonDale

The worry for me is second half Robbie can say x, y or z as reasons for our drop off but I think it was a case of Hirst sussing us out and us of having a response. Both holding midfielders played well but there has to be a time when 1 is sacrificed to bring on someone a bit more forward thinking. The worry I have attack-wise is today showed we can get the wingback system to work- but it also showed that other teams can defend it well. I’m not sure if Stockdale has got the personnel/ tactical ability to fix it when the other team susses us out.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:46 - Aug 13 with 3322 viewsrich_dale

Regarding set pieces, obviously we have trouble defending them but at this level you expect to concede the odd one at least. Our own set pieces don't look threatening though and we currently have a CB sending in floaty corners. Other teams always seem to produce whipped deliveries. Lots of work needed at both ends.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:47 - Aug 13 with 3288 viewsborodale

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:34 - Aug 13 by SaxonDale

The worry for me is second half Robbie can say x, y or z as reasons for our drop off but I think it was a case of Hirst sussing us out and us of having a response. Both holding midfielders played well but there has to be a time when 1 is sacrificed to bring on someone a bit more forward thinking. The worry I have attack-wise is today showed we can get the wingback system to work- but it also showed that other teams can defend it well. I’m not sure if Stockdale has got the personnel/ tactical ability to fix it when the other team susses us out.

We dominated and should off scored. Grimsby sussed us out changed tactics stopping the full backs..We needed to change it and didn't ending with the inevitable. Fair play to the players who played ninety minutes in that heat.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:49 - Aug 13 with 3264 viewsboromat

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:24 - Aug 13 by tony_roch975

agree about some of that but I thought Rodney was way off his performance against Burton - none of the little turns worked, he often got outmuscled and where he was so effective on Tuesday laying the ball off & linking play it didn't work today. Also Grimsby didn't play as high a line so there were fewer opportunities for balls over the top which worked for him on Tuesday

If you noticed they did a number on Rodney and 3 players were on him as soon as a ball went to him. He still did his best to hold it up but a first time lay off of some kind to some one would have been the better option.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:53 - Aug 13 with 3222 views49thseason

If we had taken the 1st half chances we would have been 6 up by half time. Henderson of 4 years ago would have had a hattrick. By 10 minutes into the second half they had roughed up half of our team and Nelson had retired with what looked like heatstroke. The Referee somehow awarded 4 yellows to Dale players whilst ignoring mandatory yellows for Grimsby who amazingly ended up with only 2 cards according to the BBC.
Was it smart having a prolonged outdoor warm upright up to 2.55pm? Probably not, was there an ice bath /cold shower, aircon or a change of kit at half time in the Dale dressing room? Probably not? PPPPPP!
All in all, if you dont take your chances you cant win, pumping the ball in the air at Rodney is never going to work.. you could argue that today was the day when we needed Charman and Campbell...
. But, its getting tiresome now. There is talent in this team but no substance, too many play by the coaching manual and havent played enough proper football to make the right decisions at the right time. Too many dispossessions from trying to dribble out from the back, too many failed long and short passes, no ability to keep the little pressure they created on the Grimsby defence. You need to force defenders into mistakes at this level, we dont apply enough pressure, we recycle backwards rather than pressing forwards, their keeper barely had save to make, and everyone in the ground knew they would score if they just kept pumping the ball into our penalty area... and they did.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 19:24 - Aug 13 with 2997 viewsDaleiLama

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:53 - Aug 13 by 49thseason

If we had taken the 1st half chances we would have been 6 up by half time. Henderson of 4 years ago would have had a hattrick. By 10 minutes into the second half they had roughed up half of our team and Nelson had retired with what looked like heatstroke. The Referee somehow awarded 4 yellows to Dale players whilst ignoring mandatory yellows for Grimsby who amazingly ended up with only 2 cards according to the BBC.
Was it smart having a prolonged outdoor warm upright up to 2.55pm? Probably not, was there an ice bath /cold shower, aircon or a change of kit at half time in the Dale dressing room? Probably not? PPPPPP!
All in all, if you dont take your chances you cant win, pumping the ball in the air at Rodney is never going to work.. you could argue that today was the day when we needed Charman and Campbell...
. But, its getting tiresome now. There is talent in this team but no substance, too many play by the coaching manual and havent played enough proper football to make the right decisions at the right time. Too many dispossessions from trying to dribble out from the back, too many failed long and short passes, no ability to keep the little pressure they created on the Grimsby defence. You need to force defenders into mistakes at this level, we dont apply enough pressure, we recycle backwards rather than pressing forwards, their keeper barely had save to make, and everyone in the ground knew they would score if they just kept pumping the ball into our penalty area... and they did.

I was always told 7ps. Prior planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance. It wasn't piss poor in my book, but we never should have lost that game.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:19 - Aug 13 with 2695 viewsswiggy

Correct, but we did lose and continue to do so, 3 games 1 goal is not going to collect many points over a season
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:20 - Aug 13 with 2689 views49thseason

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 19:24 - Aug 13 by DaleiLama

I was always told 7ps. Prior planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance. It wasn't piss poor in my book, but we never should have lost that game.

Not PP but not great either, we ran out of steam and ideas with 25 minutes left.
Was it really a good idea to do the normal warm up with 30-odd degrees at pitch level ? How much did it take out of their legs knowing they would be playing 90 minutes or more in that heat? Everyone knew it was going to be hot today, did anyone think about mitigating its effects? Clearly losing Nelson to what looked like heat exhaustion was a major blow. Grimsby played a combative game, and it takes more energy to keep being being continually pushed and shoved, and I noticed they didnt work too hard in the first 20 minutes, simply getting behind the ball and letting us run and run. John was running diagonals across the pitch to take corners, Seriki and Odoh ran miles backwards and forwards on the wings, doable in normal temperatures maybe not in todays heat. If we had scored 1 or 2 goals in the first half then the story would be different. We didnt and paid the price. Stockdales fault? Maybe, but someone needs to be thinking outside the box and looking for those small changes that can be the difference in professional sport. What does the assistant manager do?
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:55 - Aug 13 with 2462 viewsSandyman

A depressing and frustrating result.

Won't rant on about the game (still fed-up about it) but it must be said the initiative to open Ratcliffes to home fans after the game with a happy hour prices on selected drinks is a great move by the club and one which deserves more support from our fans, win, lose, or draw.

However glum we felt, the schadenfreude of the Brentford / Man U game on the Ratcliffe tellies softened the blow for most fans.

You need to sort this out fast Robbie, or else. The club comes first here, always.

#UTDNFS
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:59 - Aug 13 with 2421 viewsEllDale

To my mind we just keep seeing history repeating itself.
How many times last season did we paralyse teams in the first half at home only to fail to score and let the opposition off the hook?
That happened today and they tweaked tactically to stop Ball, John and Odoh working those neat triangular pieces of football.
I remarked on seeing the team that there wasn’t much on the bench striker wise to change the game if necessary and was proved right.
Once Sinclair was on what was RS going to do to change things? White, Graham and Big Jim aren’t game changers and the team had run out of steam with 20 minutes to go h3nc3 some of the sloppy football.
It was worrying as well how Ebanks-Landell gets skinned every now and then and concedes free kicks and gets booked. Nelson was immense but he to was turned far too easily shortly before being withdrawn.
One final thing, I agree with a previous poster about moving away fans, circumstances permitting, further away from the Sandy.
When the game started there was one of those tarpaulin or whatever sheets covering the end section of the Willbutts but the Grimsby fans simply moved it to get to closer to the Overcoaters.
It was there for a purpose and the stewards (and there didn’t seem to be to many of them) merely let them do it.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 21:46 - Aug 13 with 2145 viewssomdale

I think blaming RS is very unfair, I could only listen on the radio today, but it was even obvious on there that Dale were very good the first half and it was a chrome that they weren't winning at half time.
RS got the side prepared and got them doing everything right and he cannot be blamed for the ball not being put in the net.
This one is not on RS.
Also there are very good signs from the last Games that things are coming together from a new team.
Give the gaffer a break, minnimum 15 games for me and see where we are then
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 21:51 - Aug 13 with 2120 viewsJames1980

The gilt edged chances from the first half go in. But the performance second half is the same including that late goal are we still calling for Stockxit

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 21:55 - Aug 13 with 2076 views442Dale

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 21:51 - Aug 13 by James1980

The gilt edged chances from the first half go in. But the performance second half is the same including that late goal are we still calling for Stockxit

They didn’t go in though and it still isn’t a mass call for the manager to go. It’s that realisation that this can’t continue forever.

I get it James, really do. Because more or less everyone who I’ve spoken to wants things to work out for Stockdale but have still been able to see that they aren’t. Is it the point of no return yet? No because we have games like Tuesday and the first half today. That said, quoting the cliche, it’s a results business and Stockdale needs two from this next week.

Watching his interview after the game, I think he realises that too.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024