Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grimsby (h) Match Thread 07:14 - Aug 12 with 23439 viewsHullDale

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 21:58 - Aug 13 with 4190 views442Dale

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 21:46 - Aug 13 by somdale

I think blaming RS is very unfair, I could only listen on the radio today, but it was even obvious on there that Dale were very good the first half and it was a chrome that they weren't winning at half time.
RS got the side prepared and got them doing everything right and he cannot be blamed for the ball not being put in the net.
This one is not on RS.
Also there are very good signs from the last Games that things are coming together from a new team.
Give the gaffer a break, minnimum 15 games for me and see where we are then

Some fair points in there. Amongst them, it brought to mind something that seems to have been happening on the club OS this week, why are they suddenly referring to Stockdale as “The Gaffer” on all the stories about interviews with him?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:00 - Aug 13 with 4173 viewsCedar_Room

re: the Willbutts I see no reason the two blocks at either end aren’t closed off for travelling fans unless and only if the crowd is big enough to need them open. Despite Grimsbys impressive turn out today that wasn’t the case and just added some needless hassle to proceedings.

As for the game it’s a difficult one because we undoubtedly played significantly better in the first half than all of the first match against Crewe (I didn’t go to Gillingham but probably better than that game from what I heard) but then it all counts for nothing as we didn’t take any of our chances and yet again gave away a set piece goal. Make no mistake we are in trouble here and it’s difficult to believe we can get out of it with the team as it is. If Stockdale was let go now I wouldn’t shed any tears but on a different thread I said I’d be prepared to give him 10 games after which I’d want us to be on 11 points. That means we are now looking at 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats in the next 7. Until that’s no longer possible I guess I’ll wait and see. The improvement seen in the first half makes me think it could be possible for this team to get better but I’m also in the position of finding it very difficult to defend all the criticism around acquisitions and lack of substitutions and a lack of sense of any real direction. I at least hope that things have got to the point where the board are planning for the eventuality that things are not going to improve sufficiently and a change will be needed in the next couple of months. They need to because as much as I’d like Stockdale to succeed the evidence that he is capable of doing so diminishes with every game.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:10 - Aug 13 with 4075 viewsrichfoad32

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 21:51 - Aug 13 by James1980

The gilt edged chances from the first half go in. But the performance second half is the same including that late goal are we still calling for Stockxit

But they didn't go in and I think there is a certain amount of exaggeration about Dale's dominance in the first half anyway. We were good in the first 20 minutes but the only gilt edged chance was Ball's shot that I thought hit the outside of the post but others say hit Rodney on the back. Hendo had a couple of chances he might have done better with but they weren't glaring misses. After this the rest of the half was pretty much a stalemate but still a great improvement on the Crewe game.

Why do you insist on coming up with hypothetical scenarios instead of analysing what actually happened?
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:21 - Aug 13 with 3983 viewsfitzochris

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 21:58 - Aug 13 by 442Dale

Some fair points in there. Amongst them, it brought to mind something that seems to have been happening on the club OS this week, why are they suddenly referring to Stockdale as “The Gaffer” on all the stories about interviews with him?

Excellent

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:29 - Aug 13 with 3928 viewsJames1980

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:10 - Aug 13 by richfoad32

But they didn't go in and I think there is a certain amount of exaggeration about Dale's dominance in the first half anyway. We were good in the first 20 minutes but the only gilt edged chance was Ball's shot that I thought hit the outside of the post but others say hit Rodney on the back. Hendo had a couple of chances he might have done better with but they weren't glaring misses. After this the rest of the half was pretty much a stalemate but still a great improvement on the Crewe game.

Why do you insist on coming up with hypothetical scenarios instead of analysing what actually happened?

I did. First half good second half not so. My scenario has enough of the first half chances going in. The Dale goals are the only hypothetical bit

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:33 - Aug 13 with 3905 viewsEllDale

I may be wrong but I thought that the club’s media team have been referring to RS as “The Gaffer” on and off for months now.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:37 - Aug 13 with 3863 views442Dale

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:33 - Aug 13 by EllDale

I may be wrong but I thought that the club’s media team have been referring to RS as “The Gaffer” on and off for months now.

You might be right and it could have been the multitude of Stockdale interviews this week that made it seem like it stands out.

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:48 - Aug 13 with 3804 viewsEllDale

To be honest I don’t watch or listen to any of his interviews any more. Can’t be bothered.
Might be apathy, might be because I feel sorry for the man.
I got this way in the latter stages of the Hill reign.
Login to get fewer ads

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:51 - Aug 13 with 3774 viewskel

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 21:51 - Aug 13 by James1980

The gilt edged chances from the first half go in. But the performance second half is the same including that late goal are we still calling for Stockxit

As a couple of wise men have told me over the years - Read it in the paper.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2022 22:54]
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 23:54 - Aug 13 with 3547 viewsShun

It definitely hit Rodney on the back. He was stood on the line too. If he’d made himself a bit more permeable we’d have been 1-0 up. Still, a great run and cross by Seriki.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 07:30 - Aug 14 with 3220 viewsDaleiLama

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:22 - Aug 13 by boromat

We were brilliant again in that first half could a should a been 3 up at half time (We've said that quite a bit before!). But the performance was there and gives us some hope. Not surprisingly we couldn't keep that sort of energy up for 90 minutes on a day like today but even if you slow down you need to keep the quality up and there were too many fouls and silly wayward passes in that second half that just made the job harder for ourselves. Even then I felt we deserved a point and conceding at the end was bitterly disappointing.

Needed more energy and some subs. Robbie mentions in the post match that he had 3 to come on but was hindered with John looking like he might need to come off and him only having one more stoppage available. I think it was still a mistake one of the 3 should have been swapped and John comes off as a precaution for me. But I don't know how Big Jim is looking in training I suppose.

2 away games now are probably at the right time before the home crowd gets too toxic. Points needed!! I feel we're not a million miles away now, but let's see.

I was wondering the same thing about Hendo. Damned if you do and damned if you don't probably?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 07:56 - Aug 14 with 3117 viewsDalenet

Having had time to put yesterdays game to bed in my head, I reflect on where we are. As others have said, there are plenty of players in the squad that have talent. They need to play as a team. The first half shows they can work together and play some lovely penetrating football. But then the wheels come off and they seem a bit lost. The wide runs come to nothing if there is nobody in the middle to receive the ball. They also lack a sense of urgency at times. At the end of both halves, where the ref could so easily have blown his whistle we had corners and lacked urgency in taking them. Dale teams of old have grabbed late points because they pressed hard to the whistle.

Off the field, the turnstiles were a problem yesterday. I presume the ticketing system failed as they only had a few turnstiles operating with the guys with handheld readers. Another Bottomley legacy. The way we treat away fans still disappoints me. Blazing sun and we expect fans to sit on the front rows of the Willbutts rather than open some additional sections. The tannoy systems are now fecked. From being overly loud we can't hear a thing now and that includes safety announcements. There was a presentation on the pitch before the game to Jack the Kitman. No idea why as you couldn't hear the announcer. But pleased they presented him with a bag the same size as he is - he can hide in it!

Finally, who were the p*ssed up lads in the main stand that ruined the Moggy tribute and started wrestling with stewards? I don't think I have seen any hassle with the stewards for 20 years in the mainstand. Have a word with yourselves. It was about him not you.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 08:57 - Aug 14 with 2922 viewssamueloneils

The most telling thing for me re RS tactics.

In the second half when we needed to chase the game he didnt bring on either Kelly or Brierley ( or both) but persisted with two defe3nsive midfielders. He seems to lack the attacking instinct.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 09:55 - Aug 14 with 2715 views442Dale

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 08:57 - Aug 14 by samueloneils

The most telling thing for me re RS tactics.

In the second half when we needed to chase the game he didnt bring on either Kelly or Brierley ( or both) but persisted with two defe3nsive midfielders. He seems to lack the attacking instinct.

Yet we were playing with almost five forwards when the wingbacks were playing so far forward in the first half especially. Agree there should have been a sub in midfield though for fresh legs as Diagouraga and Ball’s influence waned after half time. Prior to that both were involved in attacks that could have led to goals as seen on the highlights.

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 10:22 - Aug 14 with 2611 viewstony_roch975

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 07:56 - Aug 14 by Dalenet

Having had time to put yesterdays game to bed in my head, I reflect on where we are. As others have said, there are plenty of players in the squad that have talent. They need to play as a team. The first half shows they can work together and play some lovely penetrating football. But then the wheels come off and they seem a bit lost. The wide runs come to nothing if there is nobody in the middle to receive the ball. They also lack a sense of urgency at times. At the end of both halves, where the ref could so easily have blown his whistle we had corners and lacked urgency in taking them. Dale teams of old have grabbed late points because they pressed hard to the whistle.

Off the field, the turnstiles were a problem yesterday. I presume the ticketing system failed as they only had a few turnstiles operating with the guys with handheld readers. Another Bottomley legacy. The way we treat away fans still disappoints me. Blazing sun and we expect fans to sit on the front rows of the Willbutts rather than open some additional sections. The tannoy systems are now fecked. From being overly loud we can't hear a thing now and that includes safety announcements. There was a presentation on the pitch before the game to Jack the Kitman. No idea why as you couldn't hear the announcer. But pleased they presented him with a bag the same size as he is - he can hide in it!

Finally, who were the p*ssed up lads in the main stand that ruined the Moggy tribute and started wrestling with stewards? I don't think I have seen any hassle with the stewards for 20 years in the mainstand. Have a word with yourselves. It was about him not you.

also the confiscation of water bottle tops at the turnstiles by stewards was a pain, went against health advice and was inconsistently applied

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 10:24 - Aug 14 with 2605 viewstony_roch975

wouldn't a Ball 'goal' have been disallowed for Rodney being offside and interfering with their keeper?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 10:34 - Aug 14 with 2576 viewsboromat

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 10:24 - Aug 14 by tony_roch975

wouldn't a Ball 'goal' have been disallowed for Rodney being offside and interfering with their keeper?

In League 2 who knows? It's like rolling a dice you never quite know what you're going to get with the officials 🤣

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 11:07 - Aug 14 with 2466 viewsNorthernDale

I was disappointed to say the least, the first half performance was decent and if we took the chances we had, the attitude may have been different. However the second half performance was so poor and made me think, that we are doomed to relegation, when the team effort was so ineffectual. What made it so worse for me, was in injury time, there was no urgency, they played like the result did matter or they did not care. I like Robbie, but I am also thinking that Robbie has no more then three or four games to sort out the mess he created, he said he would sign quality, the question is when. His post match response did not help my confidence.

Why can Robbie not change the system at all, his subs are always like for like, why was Taylor not on the bench and when Graham came on, I asked why, when he seems out of his depth in league 2. Again the midfield was useless. Ball's lack of ability as been exposed this season, with the summer midfield departures and Diagouraga is not much better. The lack of depth is a worry, last season, we could bring players off the bench to change the game, this season we cannot, because the lack of quality and depth in the squad. I cannot see us getting any points any time soon with the generally poor performances in the first three league games.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 11:27]
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 11:16 - Aug 14 with 2435 viewsdawlishdale

Very disappointed at the result yesterday after an encouraging first half when we really should have been 3 up at a canter.

No complaints about the manager up to half time from me.

However, it was obvious to everyone around me that our two central midfield players were struggling for pace after the break, but Robbie didn't make a change when he really should have.

This almost certainly cost us the points as Grimsby cam more into the game and snatched an unlikely, but oh so predictable win at the end.

If we can put 2 halves like the first together, we will be fine. Play like we did in the second half, and we're as good as down.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 11:56 - Aug 14 with 2315 viewsTVOS1907

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 10:22 - Aug 14 by tony_roch975

also the confiscation of water bottle tops at the turnstiles by stewards was a pain, went against health advice and was inconsistently applied

The Chairman explained about bottle tops at the forum. Whether we agree with it is a different matter.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 12:14 - Aug 14 with 2245 viewsBillyRudd

Thoroughly enjoyed the incisive attacking football we played in the first half, being a carry over from Tuesday night. A massive improvement on the pass it square/back fare we have been subject to in the recent past. However as chances slipped away, it was always with the trepidation that we were going to fall for the sucker punch.
With the effort expended in the first half, the sun in our faces, the lack of stamina of some of the players (Ball in particular) Grimsby probably having had a bollocking at half time and employing a much higher press, it was obviously going to be a more even affair in the second half . The sucker punch duly arrived and predictably from a set piece.
I can,t comment on the Gillingham game but overall this squad has shown me enough , having lost by a single goal each league game, shown attacking intent and in some of our signings latent raw talent, to make me feel calls for Stockdales head are ludicrous.
I,m as keen as the next fan to get points on the board but my belief is that on performance we should have four by now. Napoleon said give me Generals that are "lucky". It may be that in Stockdale we have the unluckiest manager in the league at the moment. It certainly feels that way to me.
On a more critical note I have no problem with John as a defender and nor with his taking of corners although to be honest they are nothing to write home about, but what,s with the strolling up to take them with time pressing. Tempo is everything in football. Ask BBM. No on second thoughts don,t ask BBM.
I may be doing the lad a great disservice, and if so I would be mortified and unreservedly apologise, but I thought at the kick off after their goal that Ball had a smile on his face saying something to Odoh. It might be that he has a set of pearly whites that were reflecting the sun and I stand to be corrected. It might be that it was an ironic grimace, or it might just be another of my senior moments. Did anyone else witness it? No one in the Main stand had the thought of a smile on their faces, thats for sure.
On a more mundane point and the club can,t be held responsible for the weather, so no criticism implied, but the fare on offer for the pre match hospitality was tomato soup and cottage pie. As someone pointed out to me, none of that cous-cous salad bollocks. Thats what I call a proper club and long may it remain so, whatever division we are in. Up the Dale
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 12:41 - Aug 14 with 2136 viewsDalenet

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 12:14 - Aug 14 by BillyRudd

Thoroughly enjoyed the incisive attacking football we played in the first half, being a carry over from Tuesday night. A massive improvement on the pass it square/back fare we have been subject to in the recent past. However as chances slipped away, it was always with the trepidation that we were going to fall for the sucker punch.
With the effort expended in the first half, the sun in our faces, the lack of stamina of some of the players (Ball in particular) Grimsby probably having had a bollocking at half time and employing a much higher press, it was obviously going to be a more even affair in the second half . The sucker punch duly arrived and predictably from a set piece.
I can,t comment on the Gillingham game but overall this squad has shown me enough , having lost by a single goal each league game, shown attacking intent and in some of our signings latent raw talent, to make me feel calls for Stockdales head are ludicrous.
I,m as keen as the next fan to get points on the board but my belief is that on performance we should have four by now. Napoleon said give me Generals that are "lucky". It may be that in Stockdale we have the unluckiest manager in the league at the moment. It certainly feels that way to me.
On a more critical note I have no problem with John as a defender and nor with his taking of corners although to be honest they are nothing to write home about, but what,s with the strolling up to take them with time pressing. Tempo is everything in football. Ask BBM. No on second thoughts don,t ask BBM.
I may be doing the lad a great disservice, and if so I would be mortified and unreservedly apologise, but I thought at the kick off after their goal that Ball had a smile on his face saying something to Odoh. It might be that he has a set of pearly whites that were reflecting the sun and I stand to be corrected. It might be that it was an ironic grimace, or it might just be another of my senior moments. Did anyone else witness it? No one in the Main stand had the thought of a smile on their faces, thats for sure.
On a more mundane point and the club can,t be held responsible for the weather, so no criticism implied, but the fare on offer for the pre match hospitality was tomato soup and cottage pie. As someone pointed out to me, none of that cous-cous salad bollocks. Thats what I call a proper club and long may it remain so, whatever division we are in. Up the Dale

Cous Cous salad and chilled gazpacho is on the menu for November. Thought you'd be first in the queue to pay the extra ÂŁ50 for a seat.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 13:04 - Aug 14 with 2029 viewsgolfaduffy

Would love to know the Managers thinking in keeping Ball and Diagouraga on when they were really tired and allowing Grimsby to dominate midfield second half. Crying out for fresh legs in the midfield after an hour.

If we could have taken a couple of the umteen chances we created first half we would have been well out of sight.

Apart from blocking a goalbound effort I thought Rodney did well, but that Hendo had a very quite game. Odoh is a real crowd pleaser, but with a frustrating knack of shooting miles off target . And O'Donnell (despite being a decent shot stoper) doesn't command his 6 yard area at all...we are going to let goals in because of this.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 13:26 - Aug 14 with 1941 viewsBillyRudd

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 12:41 - Aug 14 by Dalenet

Cous Cous salad and chilled gazpacho is on the menu for November. Thought you'd be first in the queue to pay the extra ÂŁ50 for a seat.

I can,t get enough of that chilled Gazpacho. I,ll take a "carriage"
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 14:21 - Aug 14 with 1771 viewsDickydaler

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 10:22 - Aug 14 by tony_roch975

Agree with you there, especially when, if you bought a bottle at the kiosks, they didn't remove the tops! ( I suspect that's what you mean about being inconsistent) Absolutely pointless.
I had to shake my head when a Taurus security official turned up with a camera and purposefully positioned a couple of stewards as though they were overseeing the Sandy, and after taking their photo the two stewards retreated back to lean against the wall and continue with their conversation!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024