Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grimsby (h) Match Thread 07:14 - Aug 12 with 23438 viewsHullDale

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 15:11 - Aug 14 with 4296 viewselectricblue

Any manager worth his salt whould know the players cannot play an high tempo game for 90mins in that heat or in cool weather.
At HT or about on the 60min mark the change was needed was evident...
Tactically RS was very naive to make the change or stuborn....

RS as to look at himself tactically before bollocking the players....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 16:17 - Aug 14 with 4052 viewswindowsbug2002

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 11:56 - Aug 14 by TVOS1907

The Chairman explained about bottle tops at the forum. Whether we agree with it is a different matter.

This happened when we went to Wembley. I was aware of it so I took a couple of spare tops with me.
Simple
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 16:53 - Aug 14 with 3950 viewssince58

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 15:11 - Aug 14 by electricblue

Any manager worth his salt whould know the players cannot play an high tempo game for 90mins in that heat or in cool weather.
At HT or about on the 60min mark the change was needed was evident...
Tactically RS was very naive to make the change or stuborn....

RS as to look at himself tactically before bollocking the players....

Cool weather? Why not.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 17:34 - Aug 14 with 3819 viewsTomRAFC

I'm normally in the Sandy but, for one reason or another, this season I've seen 2 games on ifollow and one from the main stand. It never ceases to amaze me how different a game can look.

Dale looked excellent first half, but it's hard to see the light in missed chances when there's no points on the board. Second half wasn't as horrendous as those who enjoy Twitter tantrums make out, but it wasn't good enough. There wasn't a plan B and we needed one.

Is this an almost entirely new squad that needs to find it's feet, or is it a manager who just won't learn? It's the hope that kills you.

It's never nice to single a player out but Sinclair looked poor when he came on. Most of his passes were wayward or intercepted far too easily.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 17:55]

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 18:44 - Aug 14 with 3654 viewsrochedale

First half was ok. Second half was poor, looked like we seriously lacked any quality at all. Sloppy mistakes and giving the ball away needlessly. It was my first game, but from what I saw, Diagouraga and Tullock should be nowhere near professional football, poor players. Odoh was good and Rodney looks like he could do well for us. The rest were bang average apart from Ball, who’ll be a decent player for us and a potential captain maybe.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 19:32 - Aug 14 with 3528 viewselectricblue

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 16:53 - Aug 14 by since58

Cool weather? Why not.

Its the same principle of tiring them out but its more prevalent in the heat thats all..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:09 - Aug 14 with 3424 viewsboromat

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 14:21 - Aug 14 by Dickydaler

Agree with you there, especially when, if you bought a bottle at the kiosks, they didn't remove the tops! ( I suspect that's what you mean about being inconsistent) Absolutely pointless.
I had to shake my head when a Taurus security official turned up with a camera and purposefully positioned a couple of stewards as though they were overseeing the Sandy, and after taking their photo the two stewards retreated back to lean against the wall and continue with their conversation!

Stewarding seems keen this year. I walked in early with my season card at about 14:20 on my own in shorts and t-shirt an no bag and they gave me a full pat down even my bare legs which was a bit odd.

Maybe I just look really dodgy.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:20 - Aug 14 with 3380 viewsDickydaler

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:09 - Aug 14 by boromat

Stewarding seems keen this year. I walked in early with my season card at about 14:20 on my own in shorts and t-shirt an no bag and they gave me a full pat down even my bare legs which was a bit odd.

More than a bit odd I'd say!
Login to get fewer ads

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:26 - Aug 14 with 3358 viewsTVOS1907

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:09 - Aug 14 by boromat

And yet...

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1660409669/

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:29 - Aug 14 with 3352 viewsboromat

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:26 - Aug 14 by TVOS1907

And yet...

Yes and they were also excellent with the 2 idiots kicking off in the main stand during the game.

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:34 - Aug 14 with 3322 viewsHullDale

And yet...

How good is that to read?!

Flicking through twitter yesterday there is clearly still work to do with cleanliness of seats etc, but in general it looks like a positive view of us as a 'destination away day'.

With most people feeling at least a bit skint at the moment, footy fans will be picking and choosing their away days more carefully than ever before. The more we can do to become an 'away day of choice' the better.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 21:05 - Aug 14 with 3234 viewsTVOS1907

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 20:34 - Aug 14 by HullDale

Flicking through twitter yesterday there is clearly still work to do with cleanliness of seats etc, but in general it looks like a positive view of us as a 'destination away day'.

With most people feeling at least a bit skint at the moment, footy fans will be picking and choosing their away days more carefully than ever before. The more we can do to become an 'away day of choice' the better.

It is a good read, although in my experience, a 90th minute winner often has an effect.

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:29 - Aug 14 with 3026 viewsDickydaler

Well, at least one seat from the away stand won't need to be cleaned because a proud and loud Grimsby fan was waving it above his head on Sandy Lane after the match!
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:38 - Aug 14 with 3006 viewsShun

And yet...

I was wondering where chalky had got to!
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:39 - Aug 14 with 3004 viewsTVOS1907

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:38 - Aug 14 by Shun

I was wondering where chalky had got to!

He still posts on here.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 22:39]

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 13:58 - Aug 15 with 2496 viewsAtThePeake

I'm aware that I'm being my usual pessimistic self, but as much as I think removing Stockdale is the right decision, I'm not at all convinced this squad can do much better.

A lot of fans at the moment are talking about 'glimpses' and 'glimmers' of hope, but I think every fanbase sees this in their team, particularly early in the season. An example of this is when we went to play Scunthorpe away last season. In the first-half, they took the lead and were much the better team. They'd not long installed Hill as manager if I remember correctly and there will have been a sense that the great escape could've been on when they led a team they feasibly could have caught at the time 1-0 at the break. Of course they lost and ended up finishing 18 points away from safety.

My point being that I think there are always glimpses and glimmers of hope, for every fan of every club, particularly when there's so much time to turn it around. When we attach ourselves to the club, we almost de facto attach ourselves to any player who wears the shirt. We're desperate for them to do well so when we see them doing things well, we think to ourselves "well, he's certainly capable, I've seen evidence of that." The problem is, if you've only seem a glimpse or a glimmer, that means you're seeing a lot more bad than good.

Players like Kelly, Odoh, Ball - we've seen them do good things, so we think they're capable of doing good things. They are, but they've given us no evidence at all that they can do those things consistently as yet. I'm worried at 37 and 35 that Henderson and Diagouraga are no longer at an age where they can perform consistently. I'm looking at a player like Sinclair and wondering if any other League Two club would have taken a chance on him given his record elsewhere. And that's without considering we still have players like White and Graham in the squad.

In the summer I kept saying that I wasn't as convinced as everyone else by the recruitment. As much as I think Stockdale is out of his depth, I'm not totally convinced that this squad will do much better without him. We're talking about 'only losing by one goal' to two teams that got beat 3-0 on Saturday. Not exactly encouraging.

Tangled up in blue.

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 15:24 - Aug 15 with 2371 viewsDaleiLama

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 13:58 - Aug 15 by AtThePeake

I'm aware that I'm being my usual pessimistic self, but as much as I think removing Stockdale is the right decision, I'm not at all convinced this squad can do much better.

A lot of fans at the moment are talking about 'glimpses' and 'glimmers' of hope, but I think every fanbase sees this in their team, particularly early in the season. An example of this is when we went to play Scunthorpe away last season. In the first-half, they took the lead and were much the better team. They'd not long installed Hill as manager if I remember correctly and there will have been a sense that the great escape could've been on when they led a team they feasibly could have caught at the time 1-0 at the break. Of course they lost and ended up finishing 18 points away from safety.

My point being that I think there are always glimpses and glimmers of hope, for every fan of every club, particularly when there's so much time to turn it around. When we attach ourselves to the club, we almost de facto attach ourselves to any player who wears the shirt. We're desperate for them to do well so when we see them doing things well, we think to ourselves "well, he's certainly capable, I've seen evidence of that." The problem is, if you've only seem a glimpse or a glimmer, that means you're seeing a lot more bad than good.

Players like Kelly, Odoh, Ball - we've seen them do good things, so we think they're capable of doing good things. They are, but they've given us no evidence at all that they can do those things consistently as yet. I'm worried at 37 and 35 that Henderson and Diagouraga are no longer at an age where they can perform consistently. I'm looking at a player like Sinclair and wondering if any other League Two club would have taken a chance on him given his record elsewhere. And that's without considering we still have players like White and Graham in the squad.

In the summer I kept saying that I wasn't as convinced as everyone else by the recruitment. As much as I think Stockdale is out of his depth, I'm not totally convinced that this squad will do much better without him. We're talking about 'only losing by one goal' to two teams that got beat 3-0 on Saturday. Not exactly encouraging.

Tricky one this. Extrapolation is much easier to do with graphs than athletes, as numbers tend to conform much better. As well as trying to boost our league position and one day strike for promotion if the stars align, I'm sure there's also still the "development" aspect to some of our signings and club philosophy. Can we provide the coaching and environment for more of our players to kick on to the next level/beyond and make us some working capital? I could see Ibbi as the next player to potentially become a saleable asset for example.

Agree - at 37 and 35 you pretty much know what you have and that it will only get worse and not better. There are a lot of other signings we have made who have that dreaded word "potential", though. There are also probably a lot of "Lukes" in the squad who "flash" but then don't continue kicking on, or don't progress with a linear development. Begs the question would we be better with a crystal ball or a James Ball.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 15:43 - Aug 15 with 2305 viewssamueloneils

Interesting- after the defeat to Rochdacle last week Burton had conceded 9 goals and scored none in their first 3 games. Haisselbank allegedly told his players to go out and get goals at all costs.

Result they were 4-2 up at Accrington- but conceded 2 in stoppage time.

Which would we rather have a 4-4 draw or yet another 1-0 defeat? We must play an attack-minded midfield in the next match. Remember those two away wins at Wigan and Plymouth 5-0 and 4-0. After that for a while we were scoring goals for fun.Then BBM went all defensive and we scored 1 goal in 7 matches- and got relegated.

My point?

Whatever the politics at the time, sometimes you just have to pick an attacking line-up and go for goals. We have the worst home win record in the FL over the past 3 seasons.

The fans deserve better.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 16:01 - Aug 15 with 2239 viewsdalefertcup2

True we could start by letting them win - oh wait….
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 16:57 - Aug 15 with 2121 viewsboromat

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 15:43 - Aug 15 by samueloneils

Interesting- after the defeat to Rochdacle last week Burton had conceded 9 goals and scored none in their first 3 games. Haisselbank allegedly told his players to go out and get goals at all costs.

Result they were 4-2 up at Accrington- but conceded 2 in stoppage time.

Which would we rather have a 4-4 draw or yet another 1-0 defeat? We must play an attack-minded midfield in the next match. Remember those two away wins at Wigan and Plymouth 5-0 and 4-0. After that for a while we were scoring goals for fun.Then BBM went all defensive and we scored 1 goal in 7 matches- and got relegated.

My point?

Whatever the politics at the time, sometimes you just have to pick an attacking line-up and go for goals. We have the worst home win record in the FL over the past 3 seasons.

The fans deserve better.

Don't care for losses or draws regardless of the amount of goals. Wins is what we need. 1 nil or 5-4 I don't care as long as we start picking up 3 points.

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 17:08 - Aug 15 with 2080 viewsJames1980

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 16:57 - Aug 15 by boromat

Don't care for losses or draws regardless of the amount of goals. Wins is what we need. 1 nil or 5-4 I don't care as long as we start picking up 3 points.

What if those four goals are conceded from set pieces?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 22:07 - Aug 15 with 1822 viewsEllDale

I know it’s a bit belated but I’ve had a further thought.
The consensus is that Dale had an excellent first half but I’m wondering if the best of their football actually came before the stoppage for drinks due to the weather around 25 or 26 minutes into the game? Is that when Grimsby tweaked things tactically?
Perhaps it’s my notoriously faulty memory but the balance seemed to swing after their lad smashed a swerving shot against the crossbar.
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 23:56 - Aug 15 with 1680 views49thseason

I think they were smarter than us, they didnt do as much of a warm up, and sat back in numbers for about 20 minutes at the start of the first half, consequently we were dying in the latter part of the second half and they were running us ragged. They used 4 subs in the last 15 minutes we used 2 ... Graham for Nelson on 51minutes , Nelson looked as though he had a heat problem, going off with a wet towel round his neck and Sinclair on 61 minutes for Tulloch.
Saturday was probably the hottest day we will ever see a football match, our approach was to just do what we would normally do, they realised the implications of the heat and adapted their approach, well done Grimsby, well managed. Had someone thought about it a bit more we could have adapted too, we didnt, we lost.
An aircon unit in the dressing room would have cost £400 quid, buckets of ice water much less, cold showers all round and a fresh shirt not much. Was the pre-match hydration done taking the conditions into account, hot weather requires a different protocol to cooler conditions. As I have said before, this is professional sport with fine margins.... must improve!
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 12:37 - Aug 16 with 1453 viewsBillyRudd

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 23:56 - Aug 15 by 49thseason

I think they were smarter than us, they didnt do as much of a warm up, and sat back in numbers for about 20 minutes at the start of the first half, consequently we were dying in the latter part of the second half and they were running us ragged. They used 4 subs in the last 15 minutes we used 2 ... Graham for Nelson on 51minutes , Nelson looked as though he had a heat problem, going off with a wet towel round his neck and Sinclair on 61 minutes for Tulloch.
Saturday was probably the hottest day we will ever see a football match, our approach was to just do what we would normally do, they realised the implications of the heat and adapted their approach, well done Grimsby, well managed. Had someone thought about it a bit more we could have adapted too, we didnt, we lost.
An aircon unit in the dressing room would have cost £400 quid, buckets of ice water much less, cold showers all round and a fresh shirt not much. Was the pre-match hydration done taking the conditions into account, hot weather requires a different protocol to cooler conditions. As I have said before, this is professional sport with fine margins.... must improve!

Wise post. Making it all the more unfortunate that we did,nt convert the numerous chances to score early doors. If it was their plan it would have been totally disrupted having then to chase the game. Football! Such fine margins. Up the Dale
Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 15:03 - Aug 16 with 1249 viewsBainesy15

Grimsby (h) Match Thread on 11:56 - Aug 14 by TVOS1907

The Chairman explained about bottle tops at the forum. Whether we agree with it is a different matter.

What was said? I know it's common practice but I've never understood the reasoning
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024