Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Mara experiment 19:42 - Oct 1 with 2920 viewsPatfromPoole

I know Nick had his fun a couple of months ago trying to compare Mara with Broja, saying Broja only scored 6 goals last season, and it shouldn’t be hard for Mara to emulate this.

Well, I will now say that if Mara scores 6 League goals this season, I will sing You’ll Never Walk Alone in a pub of Nick’s choosing.

He played a lovely pass for KWP’s equaliser against Leeds, and some on here were christening him as the new Mane.

However he is not a striker; he cannot head the ball and he gets bullied off the ball.

Time to play Aribo up front with Che Adams.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

The Mara experiment on 19:51 - Oct 1 with 2863 viewsBicester_North

Even if we do sack Ralph I’m struggling to see enough quality in this squad to ensure survival, none of them can do it consistently except maybe ABK, KWP and Lavia (so far)

At least a change of manager could get them playing better as a unit.

In January we still need to sign a proper striker and central midfielder minimum.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

The Mara experiment on 19:56 - Oct 1 with 2835 viewsDorsetIan

Yes, and Aribo looked completely out of place playing where he did today - and in a position where A Armstrong looked good against Chelsea.

Mara was very disappointing today.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

The Mara experiment on 19:57 - Oct 1 with 2835 viewsPatfromPoole

The Mara experiment on 19:51 - Oct 1 by Bicester_North

Even if we do sack Ralph I’m struggling to see enough quality in this squad to ensure survival, none of them can do it consistently except maybe ABK, KWP and Lavia (so far)

At least a change of manager could get them playing better as a unit.

In January we still need to sign a proper striker and central midfielder minimum.

I like Aribo.

But I don’t think he gives us enough in midfield.

Which is why I would stick him up front.

Really need Lavia back in the middle; he is a big miss when he’s not around.

But the GK situation is also a concern.

I fear we are due to see a return for McCarthy. Bazunu is just letting in too many preventable goals.

The Mara experiment on 01:13 - Oct 2 with 2604 viewssaintpaz

The Mara experiment on 19:57 - Oct 1 by PatfromPoole

I like Aribo.

But I don’t think he gives us enough in midfield.

Which is why I would stick him up front.

Really need Lavia back in the middle; he is a big miss when he’s not around.

But the GK situation is also a concern.

I fear we are due to see a return for McCarthy. Bazunu is just letting in too many preventable goals.

Mara was awful, soft as..... Aribo defo better up front or in/around Adams which i've said all along. Adams should have buried his chance and then they went up the other end and scored, pivotal moment. To be fair Adam Armstrong looks good OFF THE BENCH but doesn't score many as we know. Look again at the goals conceded today, Bazunu couldn't do much with either goal with defence letting him down twice. Defence ain't communicating enough. Finally, we miss a decent warrior in midfield, ROMEU 😭
The Mara experiment on 08:40 - Oct 2 with 2417 viewsfelly1

Mara has been disappointing. Its a tough league to come into and most young forwards fail to inspire.
It looks like Mara is either going to be not good enough or will need a season to improve and get stronger.
Everton were so much bigger and stronger than us all over the pitch.
It was like watching Saints under Poorvleit back in the Championship.
The Mara experiment on 09:08 - Oct 2 with 2371 viewsdirk_doone

Like most under 21s, he's not quite ready yet. Saints U21s usually lose to League 1 & 2 teams in the EFL Trophy and this season lost 3-1 to Forest Green Rovers, with our goal being scored by the only older player in the team, Olly Lancashire.

Trying to play an U21 team against older, more experienced teams, even from the lower leagues, just doesn't work. That's why we have younger age group levels so they can develop, playing against their peers.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2022 9:18]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The Mara experiment on 23:42 - Oct 2 with 2155 viewssaintpaz

The Mara experiment on 09:08 - Oct 2 by dirk_doone

Like most under 21s, he's not quite ready yet. Saints U21s usually lose to League 1 & 2 teams in the EFL Trophy and this season lost 3-1 to Forest Green Rovers, with our goal being scored by the only older player in the team, Olly Lancashire.

Trying to play an U21 team against older, more experienced teams, even from the lower leagues, just doesn't work. That's why we have younger age group levels so they can develop, playing against their peers.

I was more worried by the lack of effort, he should have that already
The Mara experiment on 23:55 - Oct 2 with 2148 viewsronan006

The Mara experiment on 09:08 - Oct 2 by dirk_doone

You win nothing with kids...
Login to get fewer ads

The Mara experiment on 10:09 - Oct 3 with 1985 viewsSaintNick

I have already selected the pub on County Road just by Goodison Park for you to walk in and start singing.

It should be remembered that so fat Sekou Mara has started just two games plus another 4 cameo sub appearances.

Sadio Mane didn't score until his 3rd start and 4th league appearance overall for the club and only scored once in his first 11 games, bizarrely he couldn't score in the 8-0 drubbing of Sunderland.

Likewise Broja didn't score in the Premier League until his 5th appearance for Saints.

So far Mara has played just 178 minutes football in the League for Saints, thats not even two full games, he has one good assist as mentioned and he scored at Leicester although he was a fraction offside, but he showed he can finish

So there is still time for Mara to come good and score yet.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The Mara experiment on 11:43 - Oct 3 with 1935 viewsdirk_doone

The Mara experiment on 10:09 - Oct 3 by SaintNick

I have already selected the pub on County Road just by Goodison Park for you to walk in and start singing.

It should be remembered that so fat Sekou Mara has started just two games plus another 4 cameo sub appearances.

Sadio Mane didn't score until his 3rd start and 4th league appearance overall for the club and only scored once in his first 11 games, bizarrely he couldn't score in the 8-0 drubbing of Sunderland.

Likewise Broja didn't score in the Premier League until his 5th appearance for Saints.

So far Mara has played just 178 minutes football in the League for Saints, thats not even two full games, he has one good assist as mentioned and he scored at Leicester although he was a fraction offside, but he showed he can finish

So there is still time for Mara to come good and score yet.

Even a young Harry Kane struggled to score goals in the lower leagues (only 5 in 18 games for Leyton Orient). Nathan Tella struggled too but he is 23 now and he's started scoring goals. He just scored his 4th of the season for Burnley. He looks like he might on course for 15-20 this season.

The Mara experiment on 14:47 - Oct 3 with 1891 viewssaint901

Mara is just too reactive.

Good forwards make runs and find space which provoke a pass or a cross. Look at the very best strikers, they make three or four runs and get found only once or perhaps not at all, but they keep doing it.

Mara v Everton must have been the easiest player on the pitch to mark. He barely moved out the centre.

One incident sums it up for me. Che ran 40 yards cross field, won a header and played it into the centre. Mara looked at him and was clearly asking why the ball had not been played directly to his feet to save him running 10 yards.

I'll give you a clue. The game is pass and move. It's not being a prima donna waiting for a gilt edged chance to be created by your team mates.
The Mara experiment on 14:48 - Oct 3 with 1890 viewsPatfromPoole

The Mara experiment on 14:47 - Oct 3 by saint901

Mara is just too reactive.

Good forwards make runs and find space which provoke a pass or a cross. Look at the very best strikers, they make three or four runs and get found only once or perhaps not at all, but they keep doing it.

Mara v Everton must have been the easiest player on the pitch to mark. He barely moved out the centre.

One incident sums it up for me. Che ran 40 yards cross field, won a header and played it into the centre. Mara looked at him and was clearly asking why the ball had not been played directly to his feet to save him running 10 yards.

I'll give you a clue. The game is pass and move. It's not being a prima donna waiting for a gilt edged chance to be created by your team mates.

In a nutshell, sir.

The Mara experiment on 15:43 - Oct 8 with 1707 viewsdirk_doone

The Mara experiment on 11:43 - Oct 3 by dirk_doone

Even a young Harry Kane struggled to score goals in the lower leagues (only 5 in 18 games for Leyton Orient). Nathan Tella struggled too but he is 23 now and he's started scoring goals. He just scored his 4th of the season for Burnley. He looks like he might on course for 15-20 this season.

And Nathan Tella has just scored again. He's on fire. Can we get him back in January?

The Mara experiment on 17:23 - Oct 8 with 1591 views1885_SFC

The Mara experiment on 15:43 - Oct 8 by dirk_doone

And Nathan Tella has just scored again. He's on fire. Can we get him back in January?

Some will argue that he's found his level... but others would argue that Tella is playing without shackles & under a manager who knows how to get the best out of him?

Old School is Cool

The Mara experiment on 17:38 - Oct 8 with 1559 viewsgrumpy

The Mara experiment on 15:43 - Oct 8 by dirk_doone

No,he's on a season long loan.
The Mara experiment on 10:05 - Oct 9 with 1390 viewsRon11

The Mara experiment on 17:23 - Oct 8 by 1885_SFC

Some will argue that he's found his level... but others would argue that Tella is playing without shackles & under a manager who knows how to get the best out of him?

He's playing unshackled under a tactically astute manager who actually understands his abilities and how to utilise him.
It seems that here you either do as the prick says or either go out on loan or leave. And have Walcott on the bench instead.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024