Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ROD/Eastwood 08:50 - Feb 5 with 4601 viewsJimmyRustler

There are so many rumours flying around regarding this situation at the moment including:

A clause in ROD’s contract where if he plays another game/gets another clean sheet, his contract becomes exponentially more expensive.

Eastwood has a clause in his loan where he has to play every game as a caveat for Sheff Utd paying all or the large majority of his wages.

ROD has fallen out with Bentley in some capacity.

Eastwood has uncompromising pictures of the gaffer.

A combination of one or more than of the above.

Can anyone clarify this situation or give any credence to any of these theories? It’s really hard to stomach at the moment as Eastwood is a young lad and I do feel sorry for him. But if we were to kick on now and only go down by a few points, you could certainly argue that the decision to bring him in and put him straight into the team will have cost us our league status.

Don’t get me wrong, ROD was very poor before Eastwood came in (and I think a lot of people are forgetting this). Both are absolutely glued to their line with no command of their area and ROD conceded two identical free kicks before he was dropped (both of which he could have saved with a bit of nous).

I am at a loss as to how we have identified Eastwood in the first place tbh. I know he’s been here before but he hardly played so we can’t be judging him on that spell. And he has very little FL experience in his career. I can’t think of any telling links we have with Sheff Utd so it doesn’t make sense on that front either.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 8:51]
ROD/Eastwood on 08:57 - Feb 5 with 4545 viewsTrev

Whatever people's views on ROD's form this season, I don't think anybody could argue he isn't a better 'keeper than Eastwood. He should be starting every week unless there is a damn good reason why not.
ROD/Eastwood on 08:59 - Feb 5 with 4524 viewsHullDale

We clearly have an existing relationship with Sheffield United (Smith, Broadbent, Seriki, Eastwood off the top of my head, with the Brierley situation on top of that) so I'd imagine that is how he was identified.

I'd heard similar on RoD to your first point about it being finance related - basically Bentley dropped him in the hope it'd help offload him to get a relatively high wage off the wage bill.

He'd had a few poor games, but was decent at Bradford (& in the first few months was a clear contender for POTS) and would probably have benefitted from more competition (resulting in better training / sharpness)... parachuting somebody in to the first team who has around 30 senior appearances in the last 5/6 years as a 26 year old pro feels extreme if it was a purely footballing decision.

I defended Eastwood after his first game as, howler aside, he had a better game than most remembered. His overall performances since have been indefensible, though, and he looks broken mentally - its not a good sign that he constantly looks on edge & apologises to the crowd after every mistake or kick into touch. RoD (or another true first choice) needs to start the next game, for Eastwood's sake as well as for the good of the team.
ROD/Eastwood on 09:21 - Feb 5 with 4420 viewsJimmyRustler

ROD/Eastwood on 08:59 - Feb 5 by HullDale

We clearly have an existing relationship with Sheffield United (Smith, Broadbent, Seriki, Eastwood off the top of my head, with the Brierley situation on top of that) so I'd imagine that is how he was identified.

I'd heard similar on RoD to your first point about it being finance related - basically Bentley dropped him in the hope it'd help offload him to get a relatively high wage off the wage bill.

He'd had a few poor games, but was decent at Bradford (& in the first few months was a clear contender for POTS) and would probably have benefitted from more competition (resulting in better training / sharpness)... parachuting somebody in to the first team who has around 30 senior appearances in the last 5/6 years as a 26 year old pro feels extreme if it was a purely footballing decision.

I defended Eastwood after his first game as, howler aside, he had a better game than most remembered. His overall performances since have been indefensible, though, and he looks broken mentally - its not a good sign that he constantly looks on edge & apologises to the crowd after every mistake or kick into touch. RoD (or another true first choice) needs to start the next game, for Eastwood's sake as well as for the good of the team.

I know we’ve had players from Sheff Utd in the past but when I say no telling link, I mean that none of these have really stood out so there’s nothing to suggest that is one of the first places we should look.

As I say, Eastwood is a football league novice for the most part and there must have been young keepers out there with more experience who we could have taken a punt on. ROD has his deficiencies but he’s miles better than Eastwood.

If the wage rumour surrounding ROD is true, you have to wonder who on earth sanctioned that sort of clause in his contract (and why). You would also have to retrospectively apportion some blame to Stockdale as well.
ROD/Eastwood on 09:34 - Feb 5 with 4367 viewsEllDale

If there was some sort of appearance clause then you wouldn’t think that ROD would even be on the bench?
After all, he could be called into action as a sub if Eastwood was injured?
ROD/Eastwood on 10:35 - Feb 5 with 4209 viewsTVOS1907

ROD/Eastwood on 09:34 - Feb 5 by EllDale

If there was some sort of appearance clause then you wouldn’t think that ROD would even be on the bench?
After all, he could be called into action as a sub if Eastwood was injured?

Unless it's based on starts.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

ROD/Eastwood on 11:00 - Feb 5 with 4123 viewsdingdangblue

Eastwood isn't good enough and his lack of appearances at 26 shows it. I couldn't care less about O'Donnells contract - if he doesn't get put back in the team we will be cast adrift by the end of February.
Found this shocker from Eastwood on loan at Scunthorpe - he's definitely got previous.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

ROD/Eastwood on 11:36 - Feb 5 with 4024 viewsTomRAFC

It's harsh but Eastwood has probably cost us points in a relegation battle for our league status.

Every area of the pitch could have been improved on but Eastwood was never going to be an improvement. Eastwood's wages being covered Sheffield, ROD wanted off the books or otherwise.

As previously stated, I'm hoping for 2 free agents. An aggressive midfielder and a keeper.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

ROD/Eastwood on 12:20 - Feb 5 with 3901 views442Dale

Can’t believe contracts would ever play a part in whether a player is picked or not. Not sure that would ever be an issue at any club, because if it was you wouldn’t agree a deal in the first place.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

ROD/Eastwood on 12:49 - Feb 5 with 3822 viewsdingdangblue

ROD/Eastwood on 12:20 - Feb 5 by 442Dale

Can’t believe contracts would ever play a part in whether a player is picked or not. Not sure that would ever be an issue at any club, because if it was you wouldn’t agree a deal in the first place.

I've heard of contract extension clauses where if you play so many games you automatically trigger an extension for another year but I can't imagine that being the case with O'Donnell? We signed him as number 1 keeper and he has hundreds of games under his belt - he was always going to make enough appearances for us you would have thought. Bentley must have had words with him after the Sutton away goal (straight from the corner) and the 2 free kick goals. If they've had a bust up and he's dropped him as soon as he's been able to get another keeper in then they need to kiss and make up. Eastwood isn't the answer and someone needs to have a word with Bentley before it's too late - his stubbornness will cost us our league place. crazy thing is we'd started the year with 2 draws and a win with O'Donnell in goal - 4 defeats with Eastwood in goal and he's not looked good enough from that first howler v Colchester.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

ROD/Eastwood on 12:52 - Feb 5 with 3789 viewsTVOS1907

Sam Russell, anyone?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

ROD/Eastwood on 13:00 - Feb 5 with 3758 viewsHullDale

One thing that was noticeable yesterday when they were warming up - RoD was visibly frustrated during Eastwood's kicking practise.

With zero pressure, in a practise situation and with RoD stood just inside the other half, every other kick from Eastwood was shanked out into touch. He consistently takes a rugby style step up, and consistently kicks badly. Last week they kept going left, so this week he started taking them from the right hand side to compensate for it - they still kept going out.

Our goal kicks may as well be changed to opposition throw ins from the half way line to save everybody a bit of time.
ROD/Eastwood on 13:06 - Feb 5 with 3731 viewsjudd

ROD/Eastwood on 13:00 - Feb 5 by HullDale

One thing that was noticeable yesterday when they were warming up - RoD was visibly frustrated during Eastwood's kicking practise.

With zero pressure, in a practise situation and with RoD stood just inside the other half, every other kick from Eastwood was shanked out into touch. He consistently takes a rugby style step up, and consistently kicks badly. Last week they kept going left, so this week he started taking them from the right hand side to compensate for it - they still kept going out.

Our goal kicks may as well be changed to opposition throw ins from the half way line to save everybody a bit of time.

If he struggles with his kicks, let a centre half take it.

It's really hard to see the lad apologising to supporters when he messes a kick up and it cannot be doing him any good.

Poll: What is it to be then?

ROD/Eastwood on 13:47 - Feb 5 with 3627 viewsEllDale

Wasn’t there a rumour a few years again that Josh Lillis wasn’t being selected as a couple more appearances would have triggered a contact extension for the next season?
ROD/Eastwood on 15:13 - Feb 5 with 3441 viewsDaley_Lama

Eastwood got it in absolute spades from the fans after the first goal yesterday.

Totally ignoring that the cross should have been cleared by Max Taylor, but he left it. Which left keeper no chance, after their striker got to the ball ahead of Bennett.

Poll: DF in or out

ROD/Eastwood on 15:22 - Feb 5 with 3394 viewsD_Alien

ROD/Eastwood on 13:06 - Feb 5 by judd

It's really hard to see the lad apologising to supporters when he messes a kick up and it cannot be doing him any good.

That could work, now we've signed Mullarkey

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

ROD/Eastwood on 18:01 - Feb 5 with 3101 viewsfourfourtwo

ROD/Eastwood on 15:22 - Feb 5 by D_Alien

That could work, now we've signed Mullarkey

No, it shouldn’t.

We’re a professional football club, a professional goalkeeper should be able to take goal kicks for Christ sake.

Letting defenders take goal kicks means you hold a deep line and you can get caught out very easily.

If he can’t kick a dead ball then he needs sending back to Sheff U.
ROD/Eastwood on 18:29 - Feb 5 with 3032 viewsD_Alien

ROD/Eastwood on 18:01 - Feb 5 by fourfourtwo

No, it shouldn’t.

We’re a professional football club, a professional goalkeeper should be able to take goal kicks for Christ sake.

Letting defenders take goal kicks means you hold a deep line and you can get caught out very easily.

If he can’t kick a dead ball then he needs sending back to Sheff U.

FFS, i wasn't being serious, it was an ironic take on the abilities of our other centrebacks to kick the ball upfield with any consistency

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

ROD/Eastwood on 18:42 - Feb 5 with 2990 viewsjudd

ROD/Eastwood on 18:29 - Feb 5 by D_Alien

FFS, i wasn't being serious, it was an ironic take on the abilities of our other centrebacks to kick the ball upfield with any consistency

Poll: What is it to be then?

ROD/Eastwood on 19:06 - Feb 5 with 2893 viewsblackdogblue

ROD/Eastwood on 13:06 - Feb 5 by judd

I played in Goal for my old school team Moston Brook.. I could clear half way line out of my hands, goal kick I was shocking at so yep… brings back memories for me 👍

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

ROD/Eastwood on 19:14 - Feb 5 with 2857 viewsBrierls

If its a football decision, ROD starts ahead of Eastwood. It's not even a debate anymore.

I welcomed the arrival of Eastwood because I'd grown frustrated with ROD's inability to get near free kicks. I thought real competition for places between the sticks would benefit us. How wrong I was. EBJ made a big call to bring Eastwood straight into the XI, which backfired due to a clanger. That mistake apart, I actually thought he had a good game. Since that game, Eastwood has looked void of any confidence whatsoever.

The first goal yesterday wasn't completely his fault, we should have defended it better, but in what world does a goalkeeper move away from the ball that's in his own 6-yard box?! The second goal shows even the basics are currently beyond him. His positioning is awful, for a strike where the build up was central so there's no excuse for being that far over. The reaction of disbelief from his teammates tells you all you need to know.

Get him out of the side. If that's against the terms of his loan deal, then he can go back to Sheffield United.
ROD/Eastwood on 20:56 - Feb 5 with 2665 views49thseason

Surely we knew from his last appearances for us that he wasn't good enough then and looking at his career history, nothing much had changed. As a back up he might be OK especially as we had our number 2 out on loan for some valuable experience, but putting him directly in the firing line ahead of O' Donnell is an open invitation to disaster as has now been proven. As O'Donnell is still in the matchday squad, I cant see the number of appearances argument, I suspect this has more to do with the collapsed Brierley deal, maybe we were doing them a favour? Put the poor lad out of his misery, he simply isnt good enough. Get an emergency loan keeper in if needs be or bring back Kelly from loan. But lets not vote for suicide by playing him as first choice again.
ROD/Eastwood on 21:37 - Feb 5 with 2611 viewsBrierls

ROD/Eastwood on 20:56 - Feb 5 by 49thseason

Surely we knew from his last appearances for us that he wasn't good enough then and looking at his career history, nothing much had changed. As a back up he might be OK especially as we had our number 2 out on loan for some valuable experience, but putting him directly in the firing line ahead of O' Donnell is an open invitation to disaster as has now been proven. As O'Donnell is still in the matchday squad, I cant see the number of appearances argument, I suspect this has more to do with the collapsed Brierley deal, maybe we were doing them a favour? Put the poor lad out of his misery, he simply isnt good enough. Get an emergency loan keeper in if needs be or bring back Kelly from loan. But lets not vote for suicide by playing him as first choice again.

"We (allegedly) don't want to play a senior keeper cause it triggers an extension/wage rise (delete as appropriate) and the loan keeper we have is a bit shit" isn't really going to satisfy the requirements for an emergency loan keeper.
ROD/Eastwood on 13:38 - Feb 6 with 2182 viewsAtThePeake

ROD/Eastwood on 15:13 - Feb 5 by Daley_Lama

Eastwood got it in absolute spades from the fans after the first goal yesterday.

Totally ignoring that the cross should have been cleared by Max Taylor, but he left it. Which left keeper no chance, after their striker got to the ball ahead of Bennett.

Taylor's repeated his trick from last season of having one good game after being out of the team for a while and then being picked consistently for a short period despite that fact he is very clearly out of his depth at League Two level. The game seems to move too fast for him the whole time, he constantly leaves his man free and gets attracted to the ball, and as bad as the first goal is, what sort of attempt does he make to block the second one? Waves a foot at the space and turns his back, embarrassing defending.

I'm also sick to death of watching him try and play a 50 yard pass to the feet of one of our forwards. Have any of them come off yet? Good job we signed him up for another year at the start of this season anyway.

Tangled up in blue.

ROD/Eastwood on 13:58 - Feb 6 with 2129 viewsturnthescrew

ROD/Eastwood on 12:52 - Feb 5 by TVOS1907

Sam Russell, anyone?

Josh Lillis?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024