Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last Away Game Of The Season 10:55 - May 19 with 1208 viewsSaintNick

Back in 2009 when we were relegated long before the end of the season we still sold out all our tickets for the final day of the season away at Nottingham Forest.

Despite our plight being far worse then than now, no one said they weren't bothering to go even though they had bought a ticket, we still had a sense of pride in the club and wanted to show it.

The last away game of the season was always the big thing, regardless of what the season had yielded good or bad, it was seen as a day out, a celebration almost not of the teams achievements, but of the fact that we were proud to be fans of the club whatever happened on the pitch.

There was fancy dress or a theme (Not my cup of tea it had to be said) it was not about football it was about a love of the club.

This Sunday sees our last away game at Brighton, not only have we not even sold out, but there are plenty of people trying to sell their ticket on social media saying that they can't be bothered,

This perhaps tells you all you need to know about how football has changed in the last 14 years, fans have become more fickle, this is the age of where those that sit to the end of a game we are losing heavily are ridiculed for being happy clappers, where it is seen as something to be proud of to say you were already back in town when the opposition scored their 3rd goal at St Mary's.

Back in 2009 we were in far far more of a mess than now, we had no owners let alone ones that had ploughed money in, but there was a sense of pride in the club, we could split the club away from the owners.

Over the past 9 years I have see a sizeable minority forget about pride in their football club, they can never mention the team without some sarcastic comment.

Relegation is something that happens to clubs who are badly run but it also happens to those that are well run, we are not even the club with the most to moan about in the relgation battle, Leicester & Everton fans qualify for that.

In truth I despise the Premier league and everything it has become and indeed will undoubtably become going forward.

When I look around me in St Mary's I think there are only about 5 people I recognise from when the stadium opened in 2001, the crowd has changed, it is now more new Premier League fans than traditional fans, but even some of those that went to the Dell have changed, they have forgotten what football is really about and bought into the new age fan who watches in silence and walks out after an hour,.

Anyway I'm off to Brighton, it's something I do, I have supported Saints through good and bad times, football mirrors life in many respects, you don't desert your family and friends in their time of need.

I don't expect everyone to get this, I might as well write Saints fan73's reply now to save him the bother, but it won't bother me, I feel sad for the future not the past.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Last Away Game Of The Season on 11:04 - May 19 with 1166 viewsPatfromPoole

Just wait until you see the number of empty seats at the Temple of Doom for the Liverpool game next week.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Last Away Game Of The Season on 11:06 - May 19 with 1156 viewssaintwizzler

I think our away support has been very good this season especially in a cost of living crisis when a lot of people are watching the pennies and the absolute shit dished up on the pitch.

Factor in its a Sunday game and a meaningless match for us then to be honest what do you expect?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Last Away Game Of The Season on 11:08 - May 19 with 1149 viewssaints__fan__73

"Relegation is something that happens to clubs who are badly run but it also happens to those that are well run,"

Go on then Nick, tell us which boat we are in? You can do it. I believe in you. It's the first step on your road to recovery.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Last Away Game Of The Season on 11:47 - May 19 with 1124 viewsMytchettSaint

Nick, any fan who as at some point put their hand in their pocket to pay to watch Saints this season you shouldn’t be criticising.
It’s been a load of w@nk this season on and off the pitch. Trains seldom running, traffic in and out of the city centre absolutely sh1t.
I’m amazed we’ve seen the numbers we’ve had turning up every game.
Do you think people didn’t leave a game early at the Dell?

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Last Away Game Of The Season on 12:01 - May 19 with 1116 viewskernow

Last Away Game Of The Season on 11:04 - May 19 by PatfromPoole

Just wait until you see the number of empty seats at the Temple of Doom for the Liverpool game next week.

I would have liked to have gone to bid the PL a not so fond farewell but couldn’t buy a ticket as they’ve sold out?
Last Away Game Of The Season on 12:09 - May 19 with 1107 viewsPatfromPoole

Last Away Game Of The Season on 12:01 - May 19 by kernow

I would have liked to have gone to bid the PL a not so fond farewell but couldn’t buy a ticket as they’ve sold out?

Loads of ST holders will be giving it a miss.

Last Away Game Of The Season on 12:15 - May 19 with 1099 viewscocklebreath

Dear Nick, what part of the club is well run?

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Last Away Game Of The Season on 13:19 - May 19 with 1046 viewsIfonly

I'm not going to Brighton and I'll probably give my seat away on the last day. I won't be going because in all honesty I now feel a real dislike bordering on hatred for those who have run the club in to the ground through their incompetence (e.g. the board and Ruben) or their lack of effort and commitment (e.g. some players). I simply don't want to attend to support them. I didn't feel like that about previous relegations. Then I just felt disappointment.

If I didn't care about the club, I wouldn't feel this way, but I do so it is best for me to stay away. When I thought about it I realised that even if they win these games, the main thought in my mind would only be: "so why didn't you show this earlier in the season when it mattered?".

The only thing I will miss is being able to say thank you to JWP, KWP, Lavia and Alcaraz. They did a decent to good job. Perraud and Lyanco will still be around next season and they at least tried. The rest of them can go fvck themselves.
Login to get fewer ads

Last Away Game Of The Season on 13:23 - May 19 with 1043 viewsPatfromPoole

Last Away Game Of The Season on 13:19 - May 19 by Ifonly

I'm not going to Brighton and I'll probably give my seat away on the last day. I won't be going because in all honesty I now feel a real dislike bordering on hatred for those who have run the club in to the ground through their incompetence (e.g. the board and Ruben) or their lack of effort and commitment (e.g. some players). I simply don't want to attend to support them. I didn't feel like that about previous relegations. Then I just felt disappointment.

If I didn't care about the club, I wouldn't feel this way, but I do so it is best for me to stay away. When I thought about it I realised that even if they win these games, the main thought in my mind would only be: "so why didn't you show this earlier in the season when it mattered?".

The only thing I will miss is being able to say thank you to JWP, KWP, Lavia and Alcaraz. They did a decent to good job. Perraud and Lyanco will still be around next season and they at least tried. The rest of them can go fvck themselves.

Completely agree, sir.

Last Away Game Of The Season on 13:31 - May 19 with 1034 views1ASIN12

When I looked in the week we had sold out for Sunday?

Though there will be some that will give it a miss - more so as its a pain to get there and back on the train on Sunday due to engineering works on the line from Southampton to Brighton.

If the game was on the Saturday 3pm Ko then a lot of those that are saying they wont go would probably gone fjust or the day out.

Its great putting time and effort in for a game that means something on a Sunday with no direct trains and bus replacements. Putting that same effort in when the game is a dead rubber and the team is the worst saints team in top flight history is not so great.
Last Away Game Of The Season on 13:56 - May 19 with 1010 viewsBuggalugs

We know why you’re going

https://www.thebrightonkop.com/

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Last Away Game Of The Season on 14:05 - May 19 with 1001 viewsSaintNick

Last Away Game Of The Season on 11:04 - May 19 by PatfromPoole

You will probably be right and it is not something that I will be proud of to be honest, in fact ill be ashamed.

Every year three teams get relegated, usually their final home game is a full house, I can see Pompey fans laughing their b*llocks off at the empty seats and saying "Scummahs aint got no loyalty" amongst other comments.

Last Away Game Of The Season on 14:06 - May 19 with 995 viewsSaintNick

Last Away Game Of The Season on 11:47 - May 19 by MytchettSaint

Nick, any fan who as at some point put their hand in their pocket to pay to watch Saints this season you shouldn’t be criticising.
It’s been a load of w@nk this season on and off the pitch. Trains seldom running, traffic in and out of the city centre absolutely sh1t.
I’m amazed we’ve seen the numbers we’ve had turning up every game.
Do you think people didn’t leave a game early at the Dell?

I didn't exactly criticise anyone, I just pointed out the difference between the supporters of 10-20 years ago and the ones that follow us now.

Last Away Game Of The Season on 14:07 - May 19 with 993 viewsfranniesTache

Last Away Game Of The Season on 14:05 - May 19 by SaintNick

You will probably be right and it is not something that I will be proud of to be honest, in fact ill be ashamed.

Every year three teams get relegated, usually their final home game is a full house, I can see Pompey fans laughing their b*llocks off at the empty seats and saying "Scummahs aint got no loyalty" amongst other comments.

Those skate dins should get their own house in order first before mocking us. It can't be long before they're back to their old sub 10k attendances.

As for Brighton im' looking forward to a day on the p*ss in a city with some great pubs, which will inevitably be ruined by 90 mins of utter c*nts strolling around the pitch
Last Away Game Of The Season on 14:14 - May 19 with 984 viewsSaintNick

Last Away Game Of The Season on 11:06 - May 19 by saintwizzler

I think our away support has been very good this season especially in a cost of living crisis when a lot of people are watching the pennies and the absolute shit dished up on the pitch.

Factor in its a Sunday game and a meaningless match for us then to be honest what do you expect?

Our away support has been excellent this season, yes there is a cost of living crisis, but it seems to be selective in which teams support it affects.

If Everton were safe and were playing here next week instead of Liverpool, do you think their fans would be citing the cost of living crisis and the Sh*t dished up and giving it a swerve ?

You could say the same about a number of clubs similar to us and it would be the same, Newcastle came in droves, West Ham always do, Leicester's support has been good when they have struggled, likewise Aston Villa.

I look at it in terms of what I aspire for our club, not what is going on in the World.

But this wasn't about why it is happening I just pointed out that in 2009 we went to a meaningless match at Nottingham Forest on a Sunday after a season of meaningless sh*t in the middle of the credit crunch, yet we sold 2,800 tickets and that was a lot harder to get too given train times and prices.

It was about how the times have changed in the Southampton supporter base.

Last Away Game Of The Season on 14:43 - May 19 with 967 viewsPatfromPoole

Last Away Game Of The Season on 14:14 - May 19 by SaintNick

Our away support has been excellent this season, yes there is a cost of living crisis, but it seems to be selective in which teams support it affects.

If Everton were safe and were playing here next week instead of Liverpool, do you think their fans would be citing the cost of living crisis and the Sh*t dished up and giving it a swerve ?

You could say the same about a number of clubs similar to us and it would be the same, Newcastle came in droves, West Ham always do, Leicester's support has been good when they have struggled, likewise Aston Villa.

I look at it in terms of what I aspire for our club, not what is going on in the World.

But this wasn't about why it is happening I just pointed out that in 2009 we went to a meaningless match at Nottingham Forest on a Sunday after a season of meaningless sh*t in the middle of the credit crunch, yet we sold 2,800 tickets and that was a lot harder to get too given train times and prices.

It was about how the times have changed in the Southampton supporter base.

That was probably a lot of helmets wanting to go in fancy dress.

If there are less this time round, that can only be a good thing.

Our away support wasn’t great at all for much of that 2008/09 season.

Last Away Game Of The Season on 14:55 - May 19 with 957 viewssaints__fan__73

Last Away Game Of The Season on 12:15 - May 19 by cocklebreath

Dear Nick, what part of the club is well run?

The bit that can separate mug punters like Nick from their money while giving them f'k all in return?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Last Away Game Of The Season on 18:19 - May 19 with 857 viewsgreen

In 2009 there was a possibility that it could be the last game the club ever played, I’m sure that would have swayed some people.

As mentioned, if it was a Saturday 3pm with normal trains running I’m sure there’d be more enthusiasm but having witnessed that pathetic performance against Fulham I can totally understand why people might choose to spend their time and money on something else.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024