Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 89860 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 15:58 - Jun 30 with 2594 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 14:30 - Jun 30 by daveB

When we played so well last year and in Pakistan there was a fair bit of common sense in how we batted, very aggressive but when under pressure see through those tough spells. We've been a bit brain dead at times so far in the ashes not really reading the situation

Although should say England having a batting collapse is not a new thing, we've done it in every ashes series I can remember

Exactly. We didn't bat like this in Pakistan. All this "go even harder" business has actually fried their brains. I hope Baz comes out and says that rather than "we didn't go hard enough". Basic mistakes here.

There is more to cricket than the Ashes. We need to learn and improve rather than throw it all away. It is a top-class Aussie side too.
Ashes 2023 on 16:44 - Jun 30 with 2481 viewswesty

Ashes 2023 on 13:02 - Jun 30 by Antti_Heinola

Well, most people said we'd get hammered before the series, so... how good do we think we are exactly?

Going to be unbelievable when we win this series 3-2 though!

So then most people will be right on the shitshow we’ve been delivered so far
Ashes 2023 on 16:50 - Jun 30 with 2460 viewsManinBlack

As usual our tail rapidly bowled out. Compare that to the Australian tail to win the first test.
Ashes 2023 on 17:01 - Jun 30 with 2428 viewsdaveB

for me it's been the bowling thats a bigger problem than the batting, we don't look like getting 20 wickets
Ashes 2023 on 18:03 - Jun 30 with 2352 viewsflynnbo

I’ll tell you what would have been entertaining cricket.
Yesterday, the Aussies had resorted to buying wickets and we should have milked the runs by twos and threes and tiring out their quicks particularly with Lyon missing. The time to slog would have been when we were near to or just past their total.
Then, compare and contrast the bowling. Only one side has shown desire, bowled with pace and given away very few scoring opportunities with the possible exception of Tongue.
Ashes 2023 on 09:26 - Jul 1 with 2168 viewsTonto

We get a mention on The BBC text reports of the West Indies vs Scotland game (12th over of WI innings)

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Ashes 2023 on 09:42 - Jul 1 with 2145 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 09:26 - Jul 1 by Tonto

We get a mention on The BBC text reports of the West Indies vs Scotland game (12th over of WI innings)

Yes call me a cricket tragic, but watching it on Sky. The crowd is about 10, but one Dad and daughter there and Dad resplendent in a Willock QPR shirt. Getting lots of focus, quality.
Ashes 2023 on 16:03 - Jul 1 with 2039 viewsMalintabuk

When Australia win this tomorrow I hope they are so happy that they may be ending a man's career.... absolutely crazy, if he insisted coming out then they should have declared to stop him... if Cummings as asked him then he should hang his head in shame
[Post edited 1 Jul 2023 16:04]
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 16:10 - Jul 1 with 2025 viewsdenhamhoop2

Ashes 2023 on 16:03 - Jul 1 by Malintabuk

When Australia win this tomorrow I hope they are so happy that they may be ending a man's career.... absolutely crazy, if he insisted coming out then they should have declared to stop him... if Cummings as asked him then he should hang his head in shame
[Post edited 1 Jul 2023 16:04]

It's just sheer madness no need whatsoever but then England have in the past had a batsman get out of a hospital bed with a fever to go out and bat in the blazing Australian sun and it's seen as a great example of team spirit
Ashes 2023 on 16:52 - Jul 1 with 1955 viewsLimehouseR

Well this might be done today at this rate...
Ashes 2023 on 16:58 - Jul 1 with 1932 viewsMalintabuk

I just cannot believe some of this.... the ball is moving and we are following it down leg stump... Crawley went... Duckett had a follow off it... it is shocking
Ashes 2023 on 17:03 - Jul 1 with 1922 viewsted_hendrix

13-2

Jesus bloody wept....................

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes 2023 on 17:27 - Jul 1 with 1863 viewsconnell10

Ashes 2023 on 17:03 - Jul 1 by ted_hendrix

13-2

Jesus bloody wept....................

So about this Bazball.....its pathetic.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ashes 2023 on 17:41 - Jul 1 with 1839 viewsNov77

Oh well. Root gone, game over.

Looks like McGrath’s prediction could be right this time.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes 2023 on 17:44 - Jul 1 with 1828 viewsNov77

Brook could have been out second ball, WAS out third ball.

45-4.

Outclassed.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes 2023 on 17:49 - Jul 1 with 1804 viewswesty

Embarrassing. We are trying to turn test cricket into a one day format. Certain periods of a match a great idea. Full blown all out shitbusting no place for it in test cricket.
Any other captain would be getting pelters right now.
Completely misreading every aspect of play
Ashes 2023 on 17:51 - Jul 1 with 1799 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes 2023 on 17:01 - Jun 30 by daveB

for me it's been the bowling thats a bigger problem than the batting, we don't look like getting 20 wickets

We don't look like getting 20 runs either.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes 2023 on 19:01 - Jul 1 with 1713 viewsMalintabuk

Well.... can't believe what this test cricket as come to... brain dead Duckett gets caught 10 minutes from close of play off yet another short ball, and Starc grounds the ball... if this was a film script you wouldn't believe it
Ashes 2023 on 12:46 - Jul 2 with 1487 viewsHooparoo

Bairstow is a cretin 😬

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 12:48 - Jul 2 with 1477 viewskensalriser

Play to the effing whistle ffs!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Ashes 2023 on 12:49 - Jul 2 with 1468 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes 2023 on 16:10 - Jul 1 by denhamhoop2

It's just sheer madness no need whatsoever but then England have in the past had a batsman get out of a hospital bed with a fever to go out and bat in the blazing Australian sun and it's seen as a great example of team spirit

Paul Terry (not captain, racist, nobend's brother) in 1984 against the West Indies had had his arm broken in the first innings and retired hurt. He later came back out with his arm in a cast and sling when England were nine down with them needing 20 to avoid the follow on and Allan Lamb a couple of runs from his century. He got Lamb to his ton but ended up facing a couple of balls from Joel Garner before inevitably being bowled. He never played for England again.

Colin Cowdrey also did something similar against the West Indies in the 60s where he'd had his arm broken and came out to bat in the second innings with just a few balls left in the game with England trying to draw the game. Luckily for him he didn't have to face a ball.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes 2023 on 12:57 - Jul 2 with 1440 viewsClive_Anderson

Cheating fckers, they just can't help themselves can they?
Ashes 2023 on 13:01 - Jul 2 with 1415 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 12:57 - Jul 2 by Clive_Anderson

Fact is, like a Mankad, it's just out.

Shame they don't have the class to retract the appeal as I believe Stokes would have done.

Still we may be 2-0 down but we have the moral high ground again so all is back to normal.
Ashes 2023 on 13:02 - Jul 2 with 1413 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes 2023 on 12:57 - Jul 2 by Clive_Anderson

Within the laws of the game but certainly not the spirit of the game. As you say, they can't help themselves.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes 2023 on 13:14 - Jul 2 with 1369 viewsMalintabuk

I think it is obvious that I don't really like bazball cricket, I'm an old fart and think test cricket is not suited to it... but whatever I think... this last 40 mins as been fantastic
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024