Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 89932 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 13:19 - Jul 2 with 1808 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 12:57 - Jul 2 by Clive_Anderson

Cheating fckers, they just can't help themselves can they?

How is it cheating? Bairstow being a fckwit is not Carey’s fault. He should know better

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 13:22 - Jul 2 with 1787 viewsted_hendrix

A great contest that doesn't need ruining by controversy.

It's bloody gripping stuff when all Is said and done.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes 2023 on 13:23 - Jul 2 with 1775 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 13:19 - Jul 2 by Hooparoo

How is it cheating? Bairstow being a fckwit is not Carey’s fault. He should know better

It's not cheating. It's like a Mankad, it is perfectly fine and correct in the laws to take a wicket in that way.

What is strange is why Australia want to do it like that. You are going to win anyway, are the best side in the world, just get him out properly.
Ashes 2023 on 13:24 - Jul 2 with 1774 viewsconnell10

Pity our tail is so weak I'd fancy us here if we had some stickers.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ashes 2023 on 13:24 - Jul 2 with 1764 viewsClive_Anderson

Ashes 2023 on 13:19 - Jul 2 by Hooparoo

Yeah just stump people between overs no problemo...happens all the time.
Ashes 2023 on 13:30 - Jul 2 with 1732 viewsdenhamhoop2

Ashes 2023 on 13:01 - Jul 2 by GaryBannister86

Fact is, like a Mankad, it's just out.

Shame they don't have the class to retract the appeal as I believe Stokes would have done.

Still we may be 2-0 down but we have the moral high ground again so all is back to normal.

Good job the Aussies are professional cricketers because there is no way they would ever get anyone to play them in casual cricket with their approach to the game. Cynical is putting it mildly it has certainly fired Mr Stokes up and I fully expect someone on the England side to Mankad Smith while he's off touching his toes 35 times in between overs
Ashes 2023 on 13:32 - Jul 2 with 1698 viewsSonofpugwash

We have to win this now.Can't let cheats prevail.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Ashes 2023 on 13:36 - Jul 2 with 1663 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 13:32 - Jul 2 by Sonofpugwash

We have to win this now.Can't let cheats prevail.

As much as I detest Australian cricket and all they stand for, you can't call it cheating. It is within the laws, the correct decision was given and Bairstow (as usual) as thick as a whale omelette.

Sandpaper - now that was cheating.

I've always thought Cummins was a decent bloke. Having seen Bairstow ground his foot on the ground and then walk off at the end of the over, I would have thought he would have given a warning, revoked the appeal. But he didn't have to. Ironically, it has probably meant they will have a few nervier moments having fired up Stokes. But they will still win, as they would have done if they had just waited until Bairstow hit one down fine leg's throat.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 13:36 - Jul 2 with 1657 viewsCamberleyR

A similar thing happened in a test in Trinidad in 1974 between Tony Greig and Alvin Kallicharran. In that case though, the appeal was withdrawn overnight.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes 2023 on 13:39 - Jul 2 with 1633 viewseastside_r

Ashes 2023 on 13:01 - Jul 2 by GaryBannister86

Fact is, like a Mankad, it's just out.

Shame they don't have the class to retract the appeal as I believe Stokes would have done.

Still we may be 2-0 down but we have the moral high ground again so all is back to normal.

Aussies always Uber competitive.

We’ve seen the best and worst of that in the last 24 hours.

In different but similar circumstances Kohli (who I have no time for) retracted the appeal. I will leave it at that!
Ashes 2023 on 13:40 - Jul 2 with 1617 viewsSonofpugwash

Ashes 2023 on 13:36 - Jul 2 by GaryBannister86

As much as I detest Australian cricket and all they stand for, you can't call it cheating. It is within the laws, the correct decision was given and Bairstow (as usual) as thick as a whale omelette.

Sandpaper - now that was cheating.

I've always thought Cummins was a decent bloke. Having seen Bairstow ground his foot on the ground and then walk off at the end of the over, I would have thought he would have given a warning, revoked the appeal. But he didn't have to. Ironically, it has probably meant they will have a few nervier moments having fired up Stokes. But they will still win, as they would have done if they had just waited until Bairstow hit one down fine leg's throat.

Placation at it's finest.
Cheating.End of.

Ashes 2023 on 13:41 - Jul 2 with 1619 viewsdenhamhoop2

Ashes 2023 on 13:36 - Jul 2 by CamberleyR

A similar thing happened in a test in Trinidad in 1974 between Tony Greig and Alvin Kallicharran. In that case though, the appeal was withdrawn overnight.

The riot that incurred after the incident may have played a part in the withdrawal
Ashes 2023 on 13:44 - Jul 2 with 1605 viewsPaddyhoops

Aussies would trample over their loved ones to win an ashes test.
Good luck to them fielding on the boundaries at Headingley.
It won’t be pretty.
Ashes 2023 on 13:44 - Jul 2 with 1603 viewsstowmarketrange

Even a few rowdy members in the long room thought it wasn’t right.But in the laws of the game bairstow was out.The spirit of the game is a different matter.
Ashes 2023 on 13:47 - Jul 2 with 1563 viewsSonofpugwash

I hope this doesn't infect football,still a bit of "spirit of the game" exists.

Ashes 2023 on 13:47 - Jul 2 with 1567 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 13:40 - Jul 2 by Sonofpugwash

Placation at it's finest.
Cheating.End of.

Isn't cheating by its very definition breaking the laws? Clearly under the laws if the umpires decided the ball wasn't dead, it isn't dead. It's a stumping. So it isn't cheating.

It's bad form, terrible sportsmanship, yes.

But not cheating.

But it is very funny to stoke up more hatred for the Aussies. Excellent.
Ashes 2023 on 13:56 - Jul 2 with 1517 viewsconnell10

Let's all take a deep breath , if we lose this match it won't be all down to the Baristow incident, it will be a small part of it but we can't forget how poor our batting decisions have been at times.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Ashes 2023 on 14:26 - Jul 2 with 1444 viewsSonofpugwash

Ashes 2023 on 13:47 - Jul 2 by GaryBannister86

Isn't cheating by its very definition breaking the laws? Clearly under the laws if the umpires decided the ball wasn't dead, it isn't dead. It's a stumping. So it isn't cheating.

But not cheating.

Right then, if Spirit Of The Game and Fair Play is to be eschewed,and it will be a precedent in sporting terms,how can you logically support FFP?
Moral high ground in this world obviously ain't worth sheeit.

Ashes 2023 on 14:27 - Jul 2 with 1440 viewsMalintabuk

Whatever we all think about the decision Bairstow should be lucky if he keeps his place. His keeping as been average at best, and that decision he made was reckless...
He may keep his place I'd Pope is not fit for Headingley then he will move up and hopefully Foakes will come in
Ashes 2023 on 14:29 - Jul 2 with 1433 viewsSonofpugwash

Ashes 2023 on 13:47 - Jul 2 by GaryBannister86

But not cheating.

"stoke".
Excellent pun.

Ashes 2023 on 14:29 - Jul 2 with 1434 viewsMrSheen

It’s not cheating, but neither did Mankad or Trevor Chappell.
Ashes 2023 on 14:41 - Jul 2 with 1393 viewsSydneyRs

The Aussies welcomed back two cheats after a token suspension and timed before an ashes series and world cup because they are good players. The bloke who wasn't as good got dumped.

They complain about someone else doing a mankad but are more than prepared to bend the rules because winning is everything to them. Within the rules yes, but a shit act that the captain should have dealt with. Very very poor form but sadly no surprise.

To see the long room at Lord's react like that, wow. Says it all. Australians should be as ashamed about this as they were about the famous (here anyway) underarm delivery v New Zealand.
[Post edited 2 Jul 2023 14:44]
Ashes 2023 on 14:43 - Jul 2 with 1378 viewsHayesender

Australia still big favourites, but this is gripping stuff. I'm supposed to be doing a roast, but can't pull myself away from it

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Ashes 2023 on 15:05 - Jul 2 with 1316 viewsMalintabuk

Maybe time to give Broad his head here.... New ball due in less than 10 overs... if Stuart can give it the heave and perhaps get 15-20 runs with the field up ... Robinson is half decent... May take the pressure off Stokes
Ashes 2023 on 15:06 - Jul 2 with 1304 viewsSonofpugwash

Taking drinks now.
What an opportunity to run them both out.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024