Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 96101 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 09:17 - Jul 3 with 1806 viewsR_from_afar

Ashes 2023 on 08:29 - Jul 3 by TGRRRSSS

Which goes back to the point of the end of the over and the blame of the Umpires - maybe cricket needs to bri8ng in something that makes it clear the over is dead but like everything will still be umpires call, if a ball is his away at 3 runs our ran or there is an overthrow (does happen) then the ball will be live far longer than the standard WK collects ball.

Bairstow did the same on day 3 it shows (Sky Sports) but missed (who knows if deliberate).

Reminds me a bit of the thing in football now about "feeling contact" in the box and how the pundits often defend it when convenient.

Funny game in a way you are able to essentially throw a ball at 90 mph at a players body with no intention of hitting the stumps but it's part of the game yet this is against the spirit.

Headingly being Headingly anyway will be even more unwelcoming.

"Which goes back to the point of the end of the over and the blame of the Umpires - maybe cricket needs to bri8ng in something that makes it clear the over is dead".

Without wishing to appear a smart Alec, this mechanism already exists. The umpire calls "Over". I've only seen the incident once but an article in The Guardian says the umpire had not yet done that when Bairstow walked out of his crease.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Ashes 2023 on 09:20 - Jul 3 with 1792 viewsdaveB

I thought it was clever play by Carey but Cummins should have withdrawn the appeal. i think Australia would have still won the game but without a bad taste in the mouth

I do find the Aussie team a bit of an odd bunch though, they sensitive they've lost the plot over Robinson saying a few daft things now the members at Lords they want banned.

Still wouldn't rule England out of this, think they've played pretty well in the 2 games just a few small mistakes in each one has cost us
Ashes 2023 on 09:36 - Jul 3 with 1749 viewsSonofpugwash

The only ashes the Aussies deserve to get back are Rolf Harris's.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Ashes 2023 on 09:40 - Jul 3 with 1741 viewsTheChef

No complaints from me, Bairstow just switched off there. The Aussies don't care either, they just want to retain the Ashes and win their first series here since 2001.

England just a bit too complacent for me and making too many stupid mistakes. They've not been far off though and if they cut out those stupid mistakes they should win more matches.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes 2023 on 09:43 - Jul 3 with 1730 viewsdenhamhoop2

Ashes 2023 on 09:20 - Jul 3 by daveB

I thought it was clever play by Carey but Cummins should have withdrawn the appeal. i think Australia would have still won the game but without a bad taste in the mouth

I do find the Aussie team a bit of an odd bunch though, they sensitive they've lost the plot over Robinson saying a few daft things now the members at Lords they want banned.

Still wouldn't rule England out of this, think they've played pretty well in the 2 games just a few small mistakes in each one has cost us

The Aussies have by and large been the same great at dishing it out but very poor when having to receive the same schtick they dish out. Was just thinking how many former Aussies captains would have called Bairstow back Ponting yep Taylor maybe Waugh Yep Border nope Hughes yep G Chappell maybe I Chappell not a chance in hell
Ashes 2023 on 09:54 - Jul 3 with 1693 viewsPhilmyRs

I thought the Bairstow stumping was poor form tbh. Clearly out, but still would have been decent thing to have withdrawn the appeal. By all accounts no warning to Bairstow that he'd been stepping out too early - something players often often do, typically more so when batsmen is backing up too much. They just dived straight in with the appeal etc. Didn't like the way Cummins referenced the Stark catch as a comparison either when talking about it - totally different. One was clearly not out because he skids with the ball flush on the ground, and the other was all around the 'spirit of the game' debate.

For the record, I do think Stokes, and this England team would have withdrawn the appeal had the shoe been on the other foot, but I don't think it's part of this Australian team and the culture of the side to do that sort of thing. Huge drive when Langer took over to try and change the team post sandpaper gate, but ultimately its instilled in them to win at all costs and any opportunity like this wouldn't be turned down. It's been like that ever since I've watched the ashes, going back decades. They're not a likeable team, but what Aussie side ever has been?

I think this might have lit a fuse for some of this England team though, which I think is a good thing. Broad, Bairstow, Stokes..I think they're better players when they're angry.
Ashes 2023 on 10:03 - Jul 3 with 1664 viewsSouthAfricanRanger

Ashes 2023 on 15:43 - Jul 2 by Antti_Heinola

I don’t care who you support mate. A decent percentage of England football fans are horrible c*nts, and this forum has its fair share of nasty people too.
Don’t think you’re one of them but I’m not giving anyone a free pass because we support the same team. Michael Gove is one of the worst people in England, irrelevant that he supports the same team as me. What Cummins did there was an absolute embarrassment and i’d say the same if Stokes did it.

I think Hooparoo makes a very good point. Good to have some decorum on here. And some EQ. Johnny has tried that a few times but missed the stumps. Have a balanced view mate.

DonnieR

Ashes 2023 on 10:04 - Jul 3 with 1658 viewsSouthAfricanRanger

Ashes 2023 on 13:19 - Jul 2 by Hooparoo

How is it cheating? Bairstow being a fckwit is not Carey’s fault. He should know better

This

DonnieR

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 10:05 - Jul 3 with 1654 viewsCamberleyR

Let's not forget this is a nation that once did this...

Something the late, great Richie Benaud at the time called among other things "a disgraceful performance" and "one of the worst things I have ever seen done on a cricket field"

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes 2023 on 10:07 - Jul 3 with 1651 viewsSouthAfricanRanger

Ashes 2023 on 15:55 - Jul 2 by Rangersw12

You're an Aussie not Rangers mate

And you must be Millwall then 😀😀😀

DonnieR

Ashes 2023 on 10:07 - Jul 3 with 1647 viewsTonto

a warning would have been fair. Then stump him. is this the first instance of a Mankaid stumping?

but onto test 3 - England need to change their bowling attack. dare I say it, but Jimmy looks past it. I hope he proves me wrong, but we lost that test in the first two sessions on day 1. ideal bowling conditions for Jimmy and co and yet they were 200 odd for 3.

We are missing Joffra Archer, but I think he's done now. Wood cant stay fit either. but we need more pace in the attack. its too samey. would also pick Ahmed as an attacking spinner. we need wickets.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

Ashes 2023 on 10:14 - Jul 3 with 1619 viewsRangersw12

Ashes 2023 on 10:07 - Jul 3 by Tonto

a warning would have been fair. Then stump him. is this the first instance of a Mankaid stumping?

but onto test 3 - England need to change their bowling attack. dare I say it, but Jimmy looks past it. I hope he proves me wrong, but we lost that test in the first two sessions on day 1. ideal bowling conditions for Jimmy and co and yet they were 200 odd for 3.

We are missing Joffra Archer, but I think he's done now. Wood cant stay fit either. but we need more pace in the attack. its too samey. would also pick Ahmed as an attacking spinner. we need wickets.

I reckon it will be Wood for Robinson and Ali for Jimmy for the next test .

I would have picked Ahmed but he's been released from the squad
Ashes 2023 on 10:17 - Jul 3 with 1611 viewsSydneyRs

This is them all over. Love dishing it out but cannot take it back. Rattled by a few old toffs in the long room, such hard men 😄.

Remember, they started a Facebook page/group about it that time when Stuart Broad didn't walk in an ashes test.

I only saw the incident properly this morning, very poor form indeed from the Aussies despite it being within the rules. I wasn't aware it was even possible to get out like that. Bairstow clearly slides his foot before walking off. Yes he should know better but it's low stuff.

As has been said they probably win anyway as Stokes wouldn't have gone berserk the way he did after it happened. I'm sure if anyone does something similar to them in future there will be no complaints (or Facebook groups).
[Post edited 3 Jul 2023 10:19]
Ashes 2023 on 10:18 - Jul 3 with 1609 viewsdaveB

One thing I don't get is that when they went to the video you can hear the umpire say checking for a run out but on the scorecard he is out as a stumping. If it's a stumping it's the right call but that's not what they gave. I know that's a bit pedantic but I found it a bit confusing
Ashes 2023 on 10:24 - Jul 3 with 1585 viewsrobith

It was actually mad how much the crowd reaction and Broad's winding up got to them. Don't y'all grow up playing at the bloody Gabba like? The Ponting era team would've been relishing it (and would've won by about 150 runs without the need for cheap tricks). I took a look on the cricket reddit this morning and all the Aussie fans were all having an absolute crybaby meltdown about conduct, which seemed mighty rich!
[Post edited 3 Jul 2023 10:25]
Ashes 2023 on 10:32 - Jul 3 with 1556 viewsozexile

The debate will rage and rage on for years. But having spent the first 25 years of my life in the UK and the next 25 in Sydney I actually like the way Aussies do sport compared to us Brits. Even from a young age it's just about winning. Which at the end of the day is really what sport is about.
What happened didn't break the rules so it's fair game in Australia. As long as both teams understand that's the game from the off things go well.
If you continually seek situations in life where everything has to be fair you're not gonna be happy too often.
Ashes 2023 on 10:35 - Jul 3 with 1543 viewsRangersw12

Ashes 2023 on 10:04 - Jul 3 by SouthAfricanRanger

This

Ah bless the runts of the commonwealth sticking up for each other

Ashes 2023 on 10:36 - Jul 3 with 1536 viewsActonExile

I had to go and find my old cricket bat and go into the garden and actually pretend to face a ball and see what i would have done.

Once i had completed my shot, stayed in my ground and re-marked my guard, (which Bairstow did) in my opinion the ball is dead, if we think overs take a long time now imagine what it will be like if the Batsmen (or women) has to make sure between every ball that the umpire is happy the ball is dead and for what it is worth Starc's catch was fair (although very poor technique) and should have been called out but the batsmen was called back by the umpire.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

Ashes 2023 on 10:42 - Jul 3 with 1519 viewsPhildo

The debate - as you can see on here - is going to run and run. I suspect this has done England a favour which we well may see the fruits of in the next test. Hopefully England improve their bowling as well.
Ashes 2023 on 10:44 - Jul 3 with 1511 viewsrobith

Ashes 2023 on 10:42 - Jul 3 by Phildo

The debate - as you can see on here - is going to run and run. I suspect this has done England a favour which we well may see the fruits of in the next test. Hopefully England improve their bowling as well.

Something that seems to be lost is that "Bazball"'s success was built on taking 20 wickets. England's bowling has been toothless nude nuts in the most part
Ashes 2023 on 10:46 - Jul 3 with 1506 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 10:03 - Jul 3 by SouthAfricanRanger

I think Hooparoo makes a very good point. Good to have some decorum on here. And some EQ. Johnny has tried that a few times but missed the stumps. Have a balanced view mate.

it is balanced!
I'd be disgusted if England did it too!

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 10:48 - Jul 3 with 2071 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 10:32 - Jul 3 by ozexile

The debate will rage and rage on for years. But having spent the first 25 years of my life in the UK and the next 25 in Sydney I actually like the way Aussies do sport compared to us Brits. Even from a young age it's just about winning. Which at the end of the day is really what sport is about.
What happened didn't break the rules so it's fair game in Australia. As long as both teams understand that's the game from the off things go well.
If you continually seek situations in life where everything has to be fair you're not gonna be happy too often.

'even from a young age it's about winning'

How depressing. If you're not naturally good at sport, sorry cobber, off you go, leave it to the REAL sports people.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 10:51 - Jul 3 with 2069 viewsPhilmyRs

Ashes 2023 on 10:36 - Jul 3 by ActonExile

I had to go and find my old cricket bat and go into the garden and actually pretend to face a ball and see what i would have done.

Once i had completed my shot, stayed in my ground and re-marked my guard, (which Bairstow did) in my opinion the ball is dead, if we think overs take a long time now imagine what it will be like if the Batsmen (or women) has to make sure between every ball that the umpire is happy the ball is dead and for what it is worth Starc's catch was fair (although very poor technique) and should have been called out but the batsmen was called back by the umpire.

How was Stark's catch out? He caught it yes, but he was in mid-skid when he did, and rather than do the right thing and make sure his hands were under the ball - i.e. palms up - while he was sliding on the floor he just let the ball kiss the floor. I don't how people can look at the rules and say it wasn't a drop.

As I said, totally different to the spirit of the game stuff, he just dropped a catch because he wasn't able to manage his body movements and take the catch at the same time. Bairstow was dosey and didn't think the oppo would be as snidey as what they were, possibly because the game has been very tame until now. They've ripped that up now.
Ashes 2023 on 10:53 - Jul 3 with 2060 viewsozexile

Ashes 2023 on 10:48 - Jul 3 by Antti_Heinola

'even from a young age it's about winning'

How depressing. If you're not naturally good at sport, sorry cobber, off you go, leave it to the REAL sports people.

What a bizarre thing to say. You do realise sport is graded so you play to your level?
Ashes 2023 on 11:02 - Jul 3 with 2013 viewsSydneyRs

Ashes 2023 on 10:44 - Jul 3 by robith

Something that seems to be lost is that "Bazball"'s success was built on taking 20 wickets. England's bowling has been toothless nude nuts in the most part

Was always going to be an issue. Relying on a 40 year old, Archer out injured, Leach also out, Wood never far from an injury. I'm actually surprised its been as close as it has and where are the next generation of bowlers?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024