Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 89861 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 02:35 - Jun 21 with 2362 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Ashes 2023 on 20:31 - Jun 20 by Snipper

That declaration was a brain dead decision, especially vs Australia.

Stokes thought he was too clever. You don’t do things like that against your biggest enemy. There’s no way Australia would ever have done that.

They say you can’t lose the Ashes in the first test, but I think we lost them before day one was out.

I think Wood has to play the next test as we need pace.

Yes I thought the early declaration was a bit naïve. I understand that psychology plays a part in sport but these are the world test champions; they will not be easily intimidated.

Having said this, the 1st innings declaration was not the sole reason England lost. They missed too many chances in the field (Bairstow in particular), they didn't put enough runs on the board in the second innings when conditions were in their favour, Anderson was below par, Stokes isn't 100% fit, and Ali's finger was clearly troubling him.

Still, at least England were competitive. One can only hope that they come back with a bang in the 2nd test.
Ashes 2023 on 07:08 - Jun 21 with 2271 viewsGaryBannister86

Ashes 2023 on 02:35 - Jun 21 by Benny_the_Ball

Yes I thought the early declaration was a bit naïve. I understand that psychology plays a part in sport but these are the world test champions; they will not be easily intimidated.

Having said this, the 1st innings declaration was not the sole reason England lost. They missed too many chances in the field (Bairstow in particular), they didn't put enough runs on the board in the second innings when conditions were in their favour, Anderson was below par, Stokes isn't 100% fit, and Ali's finger was clearly troubling him.

Still, at least England were competitive. One can only hope that they come back with a bang in the 2nd test.

Like a lot of things with Bazball, not sure what to make of it all.

I was stunned Bairstow missed those chances. I argued before (wrongly) that he won't miss any of the easy ones and the difference is that Foakes may claim a worldie once every few innings. Got that all wrong. Still say Foakes misses chances too and may well have missed one of them, but surely he would have got the others. They won't change the keeper though.

I was also stunned by the declaration. I thought that was just aggression for aggression's sake. Yes, Root may have got out next ball but if we remember he was really dominating at that point and surely there were some more runs out there. It is not inconceivable that they may have got another 100 and it is all very well being in a rush, but that was one heck of a gamble. Didn't work.

On the other hand, just like when Root reverse scoops one for six and we all marvel and say "how brilliant", then one day will get bowled middle stump for 0 doing the exact same thing and we all shake our heads and go "how stupid".....you can't have Bazball and cheer the wins and moan the defeats if they are played in the same way.

It's the bowling that worries me. Anderson looks close to gone, Robinson is too slow to really trouble the Aussies, Broad can't keep going to the well and Mo was, well, Mo, finger or no finger.

Pace is crucial for Lords and I would replace Mo with Rehan Ahmed. Why can't we be aggressive and go for teenage legspin?
Ashes 2023 on 08:10 - Jun 21 with 2217 viewsTheChef

Catches win matches.

And probably the biggest killer was the Broad no ball that bowled Khawaja in their first innings - the extra runs he got made the difference in the end.

Still, an amazing Test match, still four to go! And yes, at the very least we must avoid defeat at Lord's.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Ashes 2023 on 08:48 - Jun 21 with 2163 viewstoboboly

Ashes 2023 on 08:10 - Jun 21 by TheChef

Catches win matches.

And probably the biggest killer was the Broad no ball that bowled Khawaja in their first innings - the extra runs he got made the difference in the end.

Still, an amazing Test match, still four to go! And yes, at the very least we must avoid defeat at Lord's.

Yep. The declaration didn't lose us the match, the catching and multiple no-balls cost us.

I think Stokes biggest mistake was using Ali, has always been expensive and unfortunately has been shown to be unprepared for Test/First class cricket. Not surprising but you'd think they would take that into account/test or check his ability to bowl 30 overs a day.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes 2023 on 09:35 - Jun 21 with 2116 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 08:48 - Jun 21 by toboboly

Yep. The declaration didn't lose us the match, the catching and multiple no-balls cost us.

I think Stokes biggest mistake was using Ali, has always been expensive and unfortunately has been shown to be unprepared for Test/First class cricket. Not surprising but you'd think they would take that into account/test or check his ability to bowl 30 overs a day.

I think Mo did as well as he could in the circumstances and took a couple of nice wickets - but it's more a damning indictment of the state of English spinners.

I'd be surprised if his finger recovers in time for Lord's though.

Ashes 2023 on 12:44 - Jun 21 with 2019 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 08:48 - Jun 21 by toboboly

I thought Mo bowled pretty well and took some key wickets.
Without the injury, could have been a different story.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 12:57 - Jun 21 with 2007 viewstoboboly

Ashes 2023 on 12:44 - Jun 21 by Antti_Heinola

I thought Mo bowled pretty well and took some key wickets.
Without the injury, could have been a different story.

He went at over 4 an over, over 200 runs in 47 overs for 3 wickets.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ashes 2023 on 13:04 - Jun 21 with 1987 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes 2023 on 09:35 - Jun 21 by TheChef

I think Mo did as well as he could in the circumstances and took a couple of nice wickets - but it's more a damning indictment of the state of English spinners.

I'd be surprised if his finger recovers in time for Lord's though.

"a damning indictment of the state of English spinners"

The seeds for which were sown by the ECB and their ridiculous scheduling prioritising white ball cricket, having no red ball county cricket during peak summer months.

England bringing Moeen back because Leach has no recognised understudy is cricket's equivalent of signing Chris Martin.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 10:14]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 21:08 - Jun 24 with 1789 viewsSuperhoops2808

Real shame (but not unexpected here) that the womens Ashes are not being discussed too

A huge well done to Tammy Beaumont, who is one of our own down at Kent on her huge innings over the last few days of 208. Whilst the wicket is very batting friendly, to concentrate for 572 minutes and nearly carry her bat was a cracking achievement.

Should be an interesting last few days
Ashes 2023 on 13:43 - Jun 27 with 1629 viewshubble

England drop Moeen and prepare to give the Aussies a good tonguing instead: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66022952

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Ashes 2023 on 13:48 - Jun 27 with 1609 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 13:43 - Jun 27 by hubble

England drop Moeen and prepare to give the Aussies a good tonguing instead: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66022952

Tongue vs. Head

Ashes 2023 on 13:18 - Jun 28 with 1500 viewsRangersw12

Poor catching again costing us in that session
Ashes 2023 on 15:42 - Jun 28 with 1430 viewsNov77

Looking ominous now, this partnership.

After bowling 24 no-balls in the last game you’d think they’d have sorted it for this test, but they’ve bowled another 8 already today.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes 2023 on 15:47 - Jun 28 with 1407 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes 2023 on 15:42 - Jun 28 by Nov77

Looking ominous now, this partnership.

After bowling 24 no-balls in the last game you’d think they’d have sorted it for this test, but they’ve bowled another 8 already today.

Getting Smith and Labuschagne out cheaply twice in the First Test was a minor miracle and not likely to happen very often. We really had to take advantage of it by winning the game to put us one up for when they did come off.
Ashes 2023 on 15:59 - Jun 28 with 1392 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 15:47 - Jun 28 by johnhoop

Getting Smith and Labuschagne out cheaply twice in the First Test was a minor miracle and not likely to happen very often. We really had to take advantage of it by winning the game to put us one up for when they did come off.

Indeed.

And not a lot happening with these flat wickets that we asked for...

Ashes 2023 on 16:06 - Jun 28 with 1372 viewsRangersw12

If you put a side in you must expect to bowl them out for 200/250

Tone was set with two dropped catches in the first session

Unless a miracle happens can see Aussies batting us out of the game
Ashes 2023 on 16:11 - Jun 28 with 1354 viewsRangersw12

Well said KP 👏👏👏

[Post edited 28 Jun 2023 16:43]
Ashes 2023 on 16:13 - Jun 28 with 1346 viewsdaveB

A lot seems to be made of Bazball etc but today England just not playing very well and making too many mistakes
Ashes 2023 on 16:20 - Jun 28 with 1332 viewsflynnbo

Ashes 2023 on 16:13 - Jun 28 by daveB

A lot seems to be made of Bazball etc but today England just not playing very well and making too many mistakes

The Aussies' batting has been superb considering the conditions and several breaks in play affecting their concentration.
England, on the other hand, have been woeful with too many loose balls, no balls and missed chances ; hard to beleive the Australain bowlers would have been so indisciplined.
Ashes 2023 on 16:23 - Jun 28 with 1324 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes 2023 on 16:06 - Jun 28 by Rangersw12

If you put a side in you must expect to bowl them out for 200/250

Tone was set with two dropped catches in the first session

Unless a miracle happens can see Aussies batting us out of the game

"If you put a side in you must expect to bowl them out for 200/250"

This.

Personally, I think they WILL bat us out of the game. We seem to be effortlessly carrying on our lousy Lord's record against them. Two wins (2009 & 2013) and ten defeats in twenty Lord's Ashes Tests since the war. England's record there against Australia looks like ours at the City Ground.

Go 2-0 down here, that's the series gone.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes 2023 on 16:36 - Jun 28 with 1287 viewsTheChef

Other than Tongue there's barely any variation in the seam attack, and we're missing a frontline spinner. The Aussies have a bit more pace and are more likely to get something from this flat deck.

Currently we'll be doing very well to get out of here with a draw.

Ashes 2023 on 16:48 - Jun 28 with 1261 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes 2023 on 16:36 - Jun 28 by TheChef

Other than Tongue there's barely any variation in the seam attack, and we're missing a frontline spinner. The Aussies have a bit more pace and are more likely to get something from this flat deck.

Currently we'll be doing very well to get out of here with a draw.

You forgot that our captain isn’t interested in drawing games.
Ashes 2023 on 17:03 - Jun 28 with 1224 viewsTheChef

Ashes 2023 on 16:48 - Jun 28 by johnhoop

You forgot that our captain isn’t interested in drawing games.

I think for this one he'll have to be!

Ashes 2023 on 17:56 - Jun 28 with 1171 viewsRangersw12

Aussies to win inside 3 days

Awful from England today
Ashes 2023 on 18:09 - Jun 28 with 1159 viewswesty

Ashes 2023 on 17:56 - Jun 28 by Rangersw12

Aussies to win inside 3 days

Awful from England today

Anyone think the Aussies will declare on 390.
No thought not I mean who would be stupid enough to do that in an ashes test that was needed to not be lost.
Any other England captain would have got absolute pelters for that.
I know hindsight and coulda,woulda,shoulda, but surely England must regret that decision.
I get we are trying to navigate away from the boredom of test cricket and set out new markers in the game but this is the Ashes.
Where has the needle gone between the two sides or is that part of the master plan too. Suck them in then blow them away.
This could quite easily be a whitewash
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024