Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 2023 16:47 - Jun 8 with 89769 viewsHoopstar

Ah the home Ashes series is almost upon us, my personal favourite sporting event (not down under, that's just generally depressing.) I need something big sporting wise to focus on and quit my worrying about QPR for a while.

Anyone going?

I was at the first day of the World Test Championship at the Oval yesterday. The Aussies looked in depressingly good nick with the bat and their pace attack appears as terrifying as ever.

I think it's going to be an exciting, tough, tense series that'll go down to the wire. I only managed to get tickets to the very final day of the Ashes on 31st July at the Oval, you never know.

I predict...

Crawley to average less than 20 with Duckett getting closer to mid 30s
Brook to really secure his position as an outstanding talent and mainstay of the team
Pope to struggle again~
Root, in what could be his last home Ashes, proving his worth again
Bairstow - haven't a clue which version turns up post broken foot

Broad - an Ashes too far? You'd be mad to write him or Jimmy off.
Robinson to nab Smith at least four times..
Ashes 2023 on 17:06 - Jun 16 with 1824 viewsstowmarketrange

Ashes 2023 on 17:04 - Jun 16 by Malintabuk

Followed by a shocker.... but we need to get to 400 ....

Exactly why Ali shouldn’t have been picked.400 is a long way away now.
Ashes 2023 on 17:07 - Jun 16 with 1818 viewsRangersw12

This is how we're gonna play so can't knock them when they get out to a poor shot
Ashes 2023 on 17:22 - Jun 16 with 1791 viewsdaveB

Ashes 2023 on 17:07 - Jun 16 by Rangersw12

This is how we're gonna play so can't knock them when they get out to a poor shot

That was a stupid shot though, all for being aggressive and try and get as many as you can but hes given his wicket away. On a flat pitch I think this may come back to haunt us a bit but hard to know until the Aussies bat
Ashes 2023 on 17:38 - Jun 16 with 1767 viewsMalintabuk

Pretty disappointed in us today. I know we do play an "aggressive" game, but some of the cricketing decisions have beeb questionable so to say
The ball as been gun barrel straight and it looks like a decent wicket.
The Aussies only have 3 front line quickies, and one of them as played 3 games in 2 years
The orthodox spinner, though decent, as taken 4 wickets on the first day, we have had 2 stumping and he as taken 4 and most likely be a 5 fer
There as been on decent wicket taking ball and that was Crawley.... we should have batted all day and have made more than this
Ashes 2023 on 17:58 - Jun 16 with 1719 viewsRangersw12

Ashes 2023 on 17:22 - Jun 16 by daveB

That was a stupid shot though, all for being aggressive and try and get as many as you can but hes given his wicket away. On a flat pitch I think this may come back to haunt us a bit but hard to know until the Aussies bat

It's not like we've been bowled out for 200 though we're 370/8 and well in the game

Think we will miss Wood though his pace with a reversing ball could have been devistating
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 17:59]
Ashes 2023 on 18:02 - Jun 16 with 1707 viewsstowmarketrange

Strange declaration.Should’ve waited for the psychological effect of 400 up.
Ashes 2023 on 18:03 - Jun 16 with 1707 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 17:04 - Jun 16 by Malintabuk

Followed by a shocker.... but we need to get to 400 ....

apparently, we don't. Even though we would have!

I bloody love this team and this management. This is cricket.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 18:03 - Jun 16 with 1707 viewsMalintabuk

Declared.... well no matter what we think this is something else this team.... Boycott would be spitting feathers.... and Brealey well be speechless.... but can't knock Stokes....unless it goes tits up
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 2023 on 18:05 - Jun 16 with 1701 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 18:03 - Jun 16 by Malintabuk

Declared.... well no matter what we think this is something else this team.... Boycott would be spitting feathers.... and Brealey well be speechless.... but can't knock Stokes....unless it goes tits up

Brearley thinks it's brilliant and is in awe of Stokes.
Unlike many, he is astute enough to understand Stokes's captaincy. For far too many, they just don't get it, and never will.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 18:06 - Jun 16 with 1699 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 18:02 - Jun 16 by stowmarketrange

Strange declaration.Should’ve waited for the psychological effect of 400 up.

Not strange if you've been watching England for the last year. Sangakarra called it on TV even befiore Root started flaying Lyon.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 18:06 - Jun 16 with 1697 viewsRangersw12

Ashes 2023 on 18:03 - Jun 16 by Antti_Heinola

apparently, we don't. Even though we would have!

I bloody love this team and this management. This is cricket.

100% agree
Ashes 2023 on 18:07 - Jun 16 with 1698 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 17:22 - Jun 16 by daveB

Nope.
You either play that way or don't. That's what it's all about.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 18:08 - Jun 16 with 1698 viewsMalintabuk

Well the proof will be in the pudding as my granny always told me is in the eating........ there is no doubting they are rewriting the rule books .... and if we win then hats off.... but if we loose by 20 odd... be interesting
Ashes 2023 on 18:20 - Jun 16 with 1681 viewsMrSheen

Has Khawaja always been so chubby?
Ashes 2023 on 19:00 - Jun 16 with 1606 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 18:08 - Jun 16 by Malintabuk

Well the proof will be in the pudding as my granny always told me is in the eating........ there is no doubting they are rewriting the rule books .... and if we win then hats off.... but if we loose by 20 odd... be interesting

If we lose by that few, it’s justified.

For too long test match cricket has been too cautious. Same with football. You get idiots going ‘it’s a results business!’ But it’s not. It’s the entertainment business. Stokes gets it.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 19:00 - Jun 16 with 1606 viewswesty

Ashes 2023 on 18:06 - Jun 16 by Antti_Heinola

Not strange if you've been watching England for the last year. Sangakarra called it on TV even befiore Root started flaying Lyon.

Understand that’s how Stokes wants us to play and in essence totally agree but surely on that wicket in those conditions we are 80/ 100 runs shy. Root for another 25 mins could well have got us nearly at that point.
Certainly not worth booking day 5 of any future tests with Stokes in charge
Win or bust.
Ashes 2023 on 19:08 - Jun 16 with 1575 viewsflynnbo

Declaring against the Aussies is a rather cheeky move and could be a mentally clever tactic. Only time will tell.
Ashes 2023 on 19:16 - Jun 16 with 1557 viewsMalintabuk

Ashes 2023 on 19:00 - Jun 16 by Antti_Heinola

If we lose by that few, it’s justified.

For too long test match cricket has been too cautious. Same with football. You get idiots going ‘it’s a results business!’ But it’s not. It’s the entertainment business. Stokes gets it.

If you lose you can never justify it....
Different if you were bowled out, that is the game. To declare may have been the right thing, it was a brave thing no doubt.
But when you get players of the calibre of Peterson questioning it then you have to also wonder if it may come back to bite.
I hope it don't and if we win the game then it was the correct decision. But if we lose then he will get pelters, and Stokes being the man he is, he will take the responsibility. Just for me staying out there for another few overs and perhaps getting another 20 or 30 might prove vital.
Ashes 2023 on 19:17 - Jun 16 with 1557 viewsnumptydumpty

Ashes 2023 on 19:08 - Jun 16 by flynnbo

Declaring against the Aussies is a rather cheeky move and could be a mentally clever tactic. Only time will tell.

Declarations near the close of play.

They have done this consistently.

I understand when wicket tricky.

It has worked though more often than not.

It won't work every time though.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 19:17]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Ashes 2023 on 19:43 - Jun 16 with 1519 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 19:16 - Jun 16 by Malintabuk

If you lose you can never justify it....
Different if you were bowled out, that is the game. To declare may have been the right thing, it was a brave thing no doubt.
But when you get players of the calibre of Peterson questioning it then you have to also wonder if it may come back to bite.
I hope it don't and if we win the game then it was the correct decision. But if we lose then he will get pelters, and Stokes being the man he is, he will take the responsibility. Just for me staying out there for another few overs and perhaps getting another 20 or 30 might prove vital.

Pietersen was a good player, but in terms of a cricket mind was and is very limited. He's absolutely awful on comms, which says a lot. Certainly not in Stokes' league.

'if you lose you can never justify it'

This sentence shows you don't really understand what Stokes is doing. To make it really clear: they believe attacking, exciting cricket and tactics brings results. Not every time, but often enough for it to be worth it, and to make the sport more enjoyable for players, coaches and fans. If people still don't get it, they never will.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 20:27 - Jun 16 with 1443 viewsMalintabuk

Ashes 2023 on 19:43 - Jun 16 by Antti_Heinola

Pietersen was a good player, but in terms of a cricket mind was and is very limited. He's absolutely awful on comms, which says a lot. Certainly not in Stokes' league.

'if you lose you can never justify it'

This sentence shows you don't really understand what Stokes is doing. To make it really clear: they believe attacking, exciting cricket and tactics brings results. Not every time, but often enough for it to be worth it, and to make the sport more enjoyable for players, coaches and fans. If people still don't get it, they never will.

Are you trying to say that Stokes is more interested in entertainment than winning a game?
There's nothing wrong in both and if you can achieve a win and be entertaining then you have everything.
I'm not saying the declaration is wrong, all I'm saying was it necessary at this time. It is different to declare when there is a time limitation, or you are losing a series and need a win, you take the chance.
What did this declaration achieve? 4 overs at the end of the day, if a wicket was taken then you could have said it was genius. If Australia bat the next 2 days and get 200 in front it will look pretty strange.
Of course I get what Stokes is trying to achieve and I applaud his take on the game, but the bottom line is success, and why make a decision that could go wrong when there was little need of it. But I guess that is why he is England's captain and not me and he will be judged on that declaration.
Ashes 2023 on 21:03 - Jun 16 with 1411 viewsAntti_Heinola

Ashes 2023 on 20:27 - Jun 16 by Malintabuk

Are you trying to say that Stokes is more interested in entertainment than winning a game?
There's nothing wrong in both and if you can achieve a win and be entertaining then you have everything.
I'm not saying the declaration is wrong, all I'm saying was it necessary at this time. It is different to declare when there is a time limitation, or you are losing a series and need a win, you take the chance.
What did this declaration achieve? 4 overs at the end of the day, if a wicket was taken then you could have said it was genius. If Australia bat the next 2 days and get 200 in front it will look pretty strange.
Of course I get what Stokes is trying to achieve and I applaud his take on the game, but the bottom line is success, and why make a decision that could go wrong when there was little need of it. But I guess that is why he is England's captain and not me and he will be judged on that declaration.

I'm not trying to say it, I am saying it. And so is Stokes in every single interview. They literally said to Moeen don't worry about his performances.
Of course the declaration wasn't 'necessary' but that's not the point.
Again, by saying 'what did this declaration achieve?' you're not getting it. The point is it *MIGHT* have achieved a wicket. And then you get three new batters in one evening and then two fresh batters starting again the next morning. On this occasion, they didn't get the wicket, but nothing is ever guaranteed. Looking at it in hindsight and saying 'you didn't get the wicket, therefore it didn't achieve anything' fails to grasp the point.
He might be judged on the declaration, but he doesn't give a sh!t about what Ramprakash or Boycott or all the other closed minds think. And rightly so. Boycott was a profoundly selfish cricketer, completely at odds to how Stokes and McCullum work, where everything is for the team. That's why he tells bowlers not to worry about runs conceded and your figures: just get wickets. That's why he has attacking fields with Leach and why Leach blossomed as a cricketer. If we lose this by 15 runs, he'll get asked: 'did you declare too soon?' and he'll answer that he'd do the same over and over and over again.

Bare bones.

Ashes 2023 on 21:07 - Jun 16 with 1398 viewsRangersw12

Ashes 2023 on 20:27 - Jun 16 by Malintabuk

If the Aussies get a 200 lead then the declaration won't matter anyway as we would have probably only got another 30/40 runs

Like I've said previously not picking Wood is more of an issue than the declaration imo
Ashes 2023 on 21:21 - Jun 16 with 1393 viewsHooparoo

Ashes 2023 on 21:07 - Jun 16 by Rangersw12

If the Aussies get a 200 lead then the declaration won't matter anyway as we would have probably only got another 30/40 runs

Like I've said previously not picking Wood is more of an issue than the declaration imo

Bloody hell. Went to bed with England 3-126 and wake up to see 393. Strange declaration but I suppose you have to give Stokes some credit for being unorthodox.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes 2023 on 22:55 - Jun 16 with 1307 viewsdaveB

Ashes 2023 on 18:07 - Jun 16 by Antti_Heinola

Nope.
You either play that way or don't. That's what it's all about.

has to be a balance, that just seems insane as did the declaration, hope it works though
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024