Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big news coming out of the club? 17:57 - Jun 15 with 56558 viewsGloucs_R

No I don't know what it is but the Twitterarti all seem to be getting very excited.

Anyone know anything??
[Post edited 15 Jun 2023 17:59]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:10 - Jun 16 with 3062 viewsStevenageRanger

I do get a sense of "Be careful what you wish for" with a vocal minorty of our fan base. Will soon move on to 'bully' someone else and it may not be as good as what we have now.

Do any of us really know what Les has influenced in his role. Blue and White tinted specs could say Eze, Beale (people were happy until he left), Willock, new training ground but we dont know if he had any influcence on those, likewise he stragely become the one to moan at when things went wrong.

May just be me but I dont really have much knowledge on what a DOF does, but everytime something wasnt perfect in recent months/years it was the fault of Les from the vocal minorty.

The couple of times I spoke with him, once when sitting next to him at the U18 game this year vs Tottenham, you could tell he loved the club and only wanted the best. I really did not see any 'Evil' there!

Anyway, thanks for your service Les.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:12 - Jun 16 with 3026 viewsridethewave

Big news coming out of the club? on 09:34 - Jun 16 by GaryBannister86

I don't have a problem with Les being pushed or leaving but the first response I see on Twitter is "finally he is out of our club".

That sort of response makes me sick. Stupid child. He is a legend, whatever, and deserves respect. He's a league ahead of the rubbish you probably idolise like Bircham, Furlong, whoever.

Must be an age thing.

Not sure if you saw the stats that showed we, along with Millwall, are the only two clubs outside the PL who are in the top ten for most football-related arrests. Just let that sink in, that amongst all these other clubs with so many more fans, we somehow manage that. And most on twitter were thrilled to death about it.

Frankly, we're not actually a particularly pleasant club.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:19 - Jun 16 with 2920 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 09:41 - Jun 16 by dmm

I wouldn't be surprised if there's no DoF coming in but that Ainsworth and Dobson are handed the reigns with the expectation they would create the same club culture as they did at Wycombe.

WLS' phrasing is interesting:

"Ferdinand impressed the QPR hierarchy as Rangers wrestled with restrictions caused by Financial Fair Play rules and sought to balance the books after years of overspending.

But there were tensions, particularly over some managerial appointments and some of the club’s transfer dealings.

And, following discussions with current head coach Gareth Ainsworth about transfer targets for the coming season, Ferdinand decided to stand down."

To my mind, that makes you right in what you're thinking, and suggests that the board are trying to streamline how the reporting structures work.

Also suggests that the board are going "all in" on GA and Dobbo, and, like others have said, makes me wonder if Chris Ramsey might throw the towel in as well, espeically with Dobbo's likley stong views on player development from his long time in youth football, which possibly may not align with CR's in some way.

Whichever way you look at this, looks like many people have got the changes they've been clamouring for.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:19 - Jun 16 with 2900 viewsWegerles_Stairs

"And, following discussions with current head coach Gareth Ainsworth about transfer targets for the coming season, Ferdinand decided to stand down."

That line stands out.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:23 - Jun 16 with 2848 viewsGaryBannister86

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:12 - Jun 16 by ridethewave

Not sure if you saw the stats that showed we, along with Millwall, are the only two clubs outside the PL who are in the top ten for most football-related arrests. Just let that sink in, that amongst all these other clubs with so many more fans, we somehow manage that. And most on twitter were thrilled to death about it.

Frankly, we're not actually a particularly pleasant club.

Spot on, it's depressing. All clubs have the young boy TikTok firms these days, all about image rather than substance, but I don't like it.

If I see one more reference to Les "and his PE teachers" which I think is borderline offensive, and at best ill-informed......argh.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:24 - Jun 16 with 2843 viewsridethewave

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:19 - Jun 16 by E15Hoop

"Ferdinand impressed the QPR hierarchy as Rangers wrestled with restrictions caused by Financial Fair Play rules and sought to balance the books after years of overspending.

But there were tensions, particularly over some managerial appointments and some of the club’s transfer dealings.

And, following discussions with current head coach Gareth Ainsworth about transfer targets for the coming season, Ferdinand decided to stand down."

To my mind, that makes you right in what you're thinking, and suggests that the board are trying to streamline how the reporting structures work.

Also suggests that the board are going "all in" on GA and Dobbo, and, like others have said, makes me wonder if Chris Ramsey might throw the towel in as well, espeically with Dobbo's likley stong views on player development from his long time in youth football, which possibly may not align with CR's in some way.

Whichever way you look at this, looks like many people have got the changes they've been clamouring for.

Not sure anyone's been clamouring for the club to throw everything behind Ainsworth (apart from you), most of us are scared stiff by the prospect.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:27 - Jun 16 with 2761 viewsdaveB

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:19 - Jun 16 by E15Hoop

If Les has resigned, as widely reported, the board are not going all in on anything. It wasn't their decision
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:28 - Jun 16 with 2751 viewsClive_Anderson

So the big news hyped up by the club is....the DOF leaving.

For some reason I thought it could be some exciting news like new investment or progress on a new ground.
Login to get fewer ads

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:31 - Jun 16 with 2700 viewsRangersw12

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:06 - Jun 16 by Sakura

If you hold such a low opinion of GA and Dobson then that is something that supports the view that its good news that Les has gone.

He has switched from a Warburton, Beale and then Critchley style to GA style mid-season. Didn’t seem consistent with a DOF strategy which a positive of this role is often held up as ensuring a consistency of approach and style. Did Les think through that switch in a long term sense? I’m not sure he did.

Whether he had a personal affinity or not with the club I’m not to fussed. He picked up millions of pounds in wages as a DOF and leaving us on the edge of relegation was not a return I am going to celebrate or miss.

My whole viewpoint is centred on what is best for the club not for Les. He’ll be fine wherever he goes next. Don't worry you can be very confident that likes of me being happy he’s gone isn’t going to be a problem for him

Ferdinand only appointed Warburton and Beale

The rest were the board .

Awful news if we're gonna be giving Ainsworth the keys to the sweet shop
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:31 - Jun 16 with 2698 viewsandrew1302

I wanted Les to go and i think it is the right decision. However that is not to say he is not probably a nice guy who tried his best but in the end his major task of bringing young players thru was a major failure and probably the worst in the league. Fernandes started the demise of the club with his ego being his driver, Les tried to sort it out but in the primary area of his remit he failed and as the man in charge of that operation he had to go. I do wish him well though.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:33 - Jun 16 with 2665 viewsRangersw12

This terrifies me

"Following discussions with current head coach Gareth Ainsworth about transfer targets for the coming season, Ferdinand decided to stand down."
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:36 - Jun 16 with 2605 viewsQPR_Jim

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:33 - Jun 16 by Rangersw12

This terrifies me

"Following discussions with current head coach Gareth Ainsworth about transfer targets for the coming season, Ferdinand decided to stand down."

Akinfenwa incoming, triffic.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:37 - Jun 16 with 2575 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If you listen carefully, you can hear all the Les Ferdinand Clown memes being deleted, and the Frank Gallagher memes being uploaded.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:39 - Jun 16 with 2558 views1JD

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:10 - Jun 16 by daveB

Reported now that Les resigned, West London Sport added the following

And, following discussions with current head coach Gareth Ainsworth about transfer targets for the coming season, Ferdinand decided to stand down.

Been wondering how the recruitment aspect would play out with the Ainsworth appointment and Les and his team.

When you get linked with Dominic Gape - a player who I have seen play 30 times in the flesh - and is one of those players where you scratch your head and wonder how they actually made it as a professional footballer, you know there is probably fireworks behind the scenes.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:43 - Jun 16 with 2480 viewsPunteR

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:10 - Jun 16 by daveB

Reported now that Les resigned, West London Sport added the following

And, following discussions with current head coach Gareth Ainsworth about transfer targets for the coming season, Ferdinand decided to stand down.

Well if this isn't some kind of spin then it's not good news for the club.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:47 - Jun 16 with 2380 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:24 - Jun 16 by ridethewave

Not sure anyone's been clamouring for the club to throw everything behind Ainsworth (apart from you), most of us are scared stiff by the prospect.

On the contrary, you only have to read what the Twitterati have been saying (mainly abuse directed at LF which I do not, and have never condoned, btw, just to be clear) to see that "many people" is indeed "many people".
Even Clive and Antti and a number of others in the more rational, clear-headed element of our support have expressed surprise on several occasions that Les has not gone before now, and have openly stated that it is probably the right time now for him to go.
And in fact, if you look back through everything I've written over the past couple of months or so, I've never once campaigned for Les to go, or commented on changes above GA and Dobbo, except to support the opinion that the "sack the board" element are not living in reality.
In my ideal world, GA and LF would have built a seamless process and bond that would have had everyone singing from the same hymn sheet and delivering fast positive change together. so in point of fact, I'm actually upset that this clearly hasn't happened.
However, I do genuinely believe that in Richard Dobson in particular, we have a real gem of an individual who can clearly turn his hand to many different roles and perform them all with clarity and strength of purpose, so, yes, I do stand in opposition to your apocalyptic vision that several people on this site seem to wish to masochistically wallow in, without ever giving much watertight evidence to support their viewpoint.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:50 - Jun 16 with 2339 viewsslmrstid

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:28 - Jun 16 by Clive_Anderson

So the big news hyped up by the club is....the DOF leaving.

For some reason I thought it could be some exciting news like new investment or progress on a new ground.

The club haven't hyped anything, it was hinted on Twitter by the Talking Rangers account (not linked to the club and the person behind it has posted on this thread), talked about to death on the internet, then posted online by West London Sport.

Can't really kick the club, they haven't said anything.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:53 - Jun 16 with 2303 viewsPhilmyRs

This terrifies me

This.

A year or two ago I thought we were in a good space - signings seemed to be the right sort of players, we were creating a club that was about player development, being a club that wants to play football on the deck, encouraging a certain type of player to come to us and being a stepping stone for players to go onto bigger and better things. As much as it pains me, Brentford were what we wanted to be.

So, while on the right path we clearly needed to address our lack of resilience, and how when things went against us, we crumbled. In October last year we were top of the league playing some amazing Football. Under Warbs before we imploded we were right in the mix. Before Covid hit we were flying. We weren't a club that needed to rip everything up, start again and hand the keys to Gareth Ainsworth. We needed to keep the vision and philosophy, we just needed to get the right balance/mix of player to address the weaknesses.

For me, we're going to undo all our hard work over the last few years by committing to major changes in philosophy, style of play, type of club we want to be , which I just don't think were required. Change yes, 100%, but not knocking it all down and starting again.

Depressing day, because regardless of what you thought of Les, he was someone that showed respect to our club, served us with distinction as a player and was the best number 9 I've seen for Rangers. For me, he also had the right vision for the type of club we should be, but I accept he wasn't as successful as I'd hoped in bringing the vision to life. At least the Cricket is on, as I've had enough of Rangers tbh.
Big news coming out of the club? on 10:55 - Jun 16 with 2288 viewsAntti_Heinola

Nothing to be celebrated as many others have said. As I said earlier in the thread, Les had to make some very difficult decisions and as we've seen with many other clubs, whether people like it or not, it was an achievement to stay in this division and compete reasonably well, while making the cuts that were required.
As I've also saidm it's been obvious for months that he was going. Suspect it was more by mutual agreement than anything else, and they've clearly not rushed anything.
It's a sad day, but it was also painful seeing the abuse Les got from people - we've got other ex-players who have genuinely acted awfully in their lives, and are revered without question (one club legend basically outed as saying some appallingly racist things in Leroy Rosenior's book, for example) but Les was fantastic as a player for us, stayed longer than he should, left with dignity when he did; and I think he's done whatever he could as DoF. 18 months ago, it really felt like his work was coming to fruition, but since then it's been disaster.
Thanks to Les and good luck in the future - I suspect as Souness's sort-of replacement on Sky.

Bare bones.

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:57 - Jun 16 with 2253 viewsHayesender

Charlie Austin getting in on the act. Not a good look imo

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:57 - Jun 16 with 2254 viewsE15Hoop

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:27 - Jun 16 by daveB

If Les has resigned, as widely reported, the board are not going all in on anything. It wasn't their decision

That depends on what the phrase "Following discussions with..." actually covers, and why that was significant enough for Les to feel he had to resign.
I would suggest that this wasn't simply about individual targets, but about what the DoF role actually covers now, and who gets the final say in deciding what and why on the footballing operations side.
Big news coming out of the club? on 11:00 - Jun 16 with 2219 viewsbongo_king

And now comes the most important decision of the summer. Way more important than which striker we'll get and how we'll fill the RB position this season. That decision is: who (if anyone) will be the next DoF?

Personally , after the last 18 months it felt like time. Like others I think he did a good job to stabilise things at a tough time, but sadly the last 18 months has been mistake after mistake with little learning. However, I while feeling it was time for change, I also appreciate that if this next decision is not a good one, we're royally scr***. And with the clock ticking... just 6 weeks before season start, transfer window open, team back in training in a couple of weeks I fear we may get a poorly thought out decision!
Big news coming out of the club? on 11:01 - Jun 16 with 2200 viewsed_83

This terrifies me

I'm not necessarily surprised Les has left, given the season we've just had and the general state of the club, but the fact that it's happened like this is extremely scary.

As Clive has said many, many times for all the good that's been done over the last few years by Les and Lee in steadying the ship, there's still something not right about how the club is operating. The lack of youth team prospects coming through, our regression on the pitch, selling Dickie for a loss, the lack of transparency about injuries, our appallingly lax half-time warm-ups (the small details matter): if we're not setting the right professional standards, then as DOF Les has to ultimately carry the can for that.

That said, him leaving of his own volition suggests that a.) the owners were still broadly happy with all of the above and b.) that we're falling into the same trap of allowing a new manager to sign all the players he wants, rather than signing managers and players who are right for the longer-term future of the club. Who replaces Les as DOF, and what level of authority he's granted to actually run things, will be critical.

I think there's an argument that Les needed to go, but the manner in which he's leaving suggests the club hasn't really understood any of this. Very, very worrying times.
Big news coming out of the club? on 11:03 - Jun 16 with 2176 viewsloftboy

Just had the official notification

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Big news coming out of the club? on 11:05 - Jun 16 with 2120 viewsdaveB

Big news coming out of the club? on 10:57 - Jun 16 by Hayesender

Charlie Austin getting in on the act. Not a good look imo

Thats piss poor from Charlie if he's talking about us but could be anything
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024