Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sheffield Wednesday win? 18:17 - Aug 1 with 2523 viewsScrappy2020

I believe their last home competitive game with a big crowd roaring them on they overhauled a 4 goal deficit to reach the play off final,so not an easy game for Saints,but fear not with Bazuna in goal stopping them scoring and Striker?? Adam Armstrong knocking in the goals what have we to fear??,where is Sulemana who scored two against Liverpool,also if as it looks likely Arsenal sign the Brentford goalkeeper,then why can't we put in a bid for Matt Turner the USA keeper who played so well in the World Cup who presumably will become their number3.
Sheffield Wednesday win? on 18:35 - Aug 1 with 2479 viewsRon11

Certainly URGENTLY need a Matt Turner from somewhere, or put a defender on the near post at all times.
Sheffield Wednesday win? on 19:58 - Aug 1 with 2384 viewsPatfromPoole

I fear the worst with this line-up.

If Sheff Wed go direct, we are in for a bit of a pasting with this back four….

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/saints-sheffield-wed

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 20:02 - Aug 1 with 2380 viewscocklebreath

Unlike pessimistic Pat I think we’ll win, Rusty will have us passing them silly

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 20:15 - Aug 1 with 2364 viewsdirk_doone

Saints have just come down from the Premier League and Wednesday have just come up from League One so the neutrals and most pundits will be expecting a Saints win.

But, there were no indications from the pre-season games that we have sorted out either the goalkeeping or striking problems. Our strikers and goalkeepers are ones you'd just love to play against.

The last real cause for optimism came from the performance of Sulemana in the Liverpool game and he may not even be playing in this game. Let's hope he makes a surprise appearance.

Of course, we don't know how poor Wednesday are. Maybe they are worse. Their pre-season results have been at least as bad as ours:

8 July 2023 York City 1–1 Sheffield Wednesday
11 July 2023 Chesterfield 1–2 Sheffield Wednesday
14 July 2023 Burnley 3–0 Sheffield Wednesday
18 July 2023 Real Murcia 0–0 Sheffield Wednesday
21 July 2023 CD Eldense 4–0 Sheffield Wednesday
25 July 2023 Doncaster Rovers 1–0 Sheffield Wednesday
29 July 2023 Sheffield Wednesday 1–2 Luton Town
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 20:27]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 20:29 - Aug 1 with 2320 viewsPatfromPoole

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 20:02 - Aug 1 by cocklebreath

Unlike pessimistic Pat I think we’ll win, Rusty will have us passing them silly

Oh we’ll have 75% possession, absolutely guaranteed.

But will it lead to anything meaningful?

We shall see.

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 20:32 - Aug 1 with 2322 viewsdirk_doone

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 20:29 - Aug 1 by PatfromPoole

Oh we’ll have 75% possession, absolutely guaranteed.

But will it lead to anything meaningful?

We shall see.

Wednesday have only scored 1 goal in their last 5 pre-season games and haven't won any of them. They are missing Darren Moore.

The bookies are expecting a Saints win. But, as a Saints fan, you still can't help wondering who will score our goal and if Wednesday get a shot on target, who will stop it.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/sheffield-wednesday-v-
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 20:45]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 21:55 - Aug 1 with 2201 views1teeminants

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 20:32 - Aug 1 by dirk_doone

Wednesday have only scored 1 goal in their last 5 pre-season games and haven't won any of them. They are missing Darren Moore.

The bookies are expecting a Saints win. But, as a Saints fan, you still can't help wondering who will score our goal and if Wednesday get a shot on target, who will stop it.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/sheffield-wednesday-v-
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 20:45]

The likes of Alcarez, Tella, Smallbone, Aribo are all Capable of finding the net and we all know what Adams and Armstrong did when they played in the championship. There is a massive difference between the championship and premier league so we should be ok.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 22:25 - Aug 1 with 2165 viewsPatfromPoole

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 21:55 - Aug 1 by 1teeminants

The likes of Alcarez, Tella, Smallbone, Aribo are all Capable of finding the net and we all know what Adams and Armstrong did when they played in the championship. There is a massive difference between the championship and premier league so we should be ok.

There really isn’t that much difference at all.

The top 6 in the Prem, yeah OK.

But there really isn’t that much of a gap between the bottom half of the Prem and the whole of the Championship.

And very little gap at all between the bottom 4 or 5 in the Prem and the whole of the Championship.

Login to get fewer ads

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 22:39 - Aug 1 with 2159 viewsSaintNick

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 22:25 - Aug 1 by PatfromPoole

But there really isn’t that much of a gap between the bottom half of the Prem and the whole of the Championship.

And very little gap at all between the bottom 4 or 5 in the Prem and the whole of the Championship.

This season's relegated clubs perhaps bucked the trend, but previously the gap has been massive, Burnley go down and then walk the Championship, likewise Fulham & Bournemouth up and down.

If there is really not that much difference then Saints must stand a fighting chance of going up next season .

If you look at the bottom third of the Championship there is a massive gap between the likes of Wigan, Reading, Blackpool and others down there.

Swansea who finished 10th were said to have a terrible manager, playing awful football that would see them getting caught out in the Premier League, but who got lucky in the final months of the season

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 23:05 - Aug 1 with 2135 viewsericofarabia

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 22:39 - Aug 1 by SaintNick

This season's relegated clubs perhaps bucked the trend, but previously the gap has been massive, Burnley go down and then walk the Championship, likewise Fulham & Bournemouth up and down.

If there is really not that much difference then Saints must stand a fighting chance of going up next season .

If you look at the bottom third of the Championship there is a massive gap between the likes of Wigan, Reading, Blackpool and others down there.

Swansea who finished 10th were said to have a terrible manager, playing awful football that would see them getting caught out in the Premier League, but who got lucky in the final months of the season

I remember looking at The Championship table with only a few games to go and there was only about 5 points between 15th and 4th!
RM said just the other day there will be at least 10 teams who seriously think they can be in the frame for getting promoted this season, and he has has 1st hand experience of it.
Sheffield Wednesday win? on 23:36 - Aug 1 with 2101 viewsPatfromPoole

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 23:05 - Aug 1 by ericofarabia

I remember looking at The Championship table with only a few games to go and there was only about 5 points between 15th and 4th!
RM said just the other day there will be at least 10 teams who seriously think they can be in the frame for getting promoted this season, and he has has 1st hand experience of it.

If only he had first-hand experience of promotion as a manager.

Or anything close to it.

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 07:01 - Aug 2 with 2016 viewsMytchettSaint

It’s the first game of the season. Do people not remember how woeful our record is in the first fixture? If RM can avoid defeat, he’ll be off to a good start.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 08:28 - Aug 2 with 1950 views1teeminants

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 22:25 - Aug 1 by PatfromPoole

Cheer up Pat we’re going to win the league Ffs 😀🏆

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 09:17 - Aug 2 with 1911 viewsSaintNick

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 19:58 - Aug 1 by PatfromPoole

I fear the worst with this line-up.

If Sheff Wed go direct, we are in for a bit of a pasting with this back four….

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/saints-sheffield-wed

Not sure what the problem is with the Hampshire live team, especially the back four.

Predicted Saints XI: Bazunu, Livramento, Stephens, Charles, Manning, Smallbone, Ward-Prowse, Alcaraz, Tella, Edozie, A Armstrong.

You have Livramento, one of the best right back prospects in England and Manning one of the best left backs in the Championship last season and proven at the level we are playing at.

The centre of defence is a problem, I have been a critic of Stephens but this is not the Premier League and Charles has not looked out of place in the centre of defence.

The midfield is especially strong and up front you have Armstrong & Tella who between them have scored 45 goals in their last two Championship seasons .

Why would you feel the worst against a newly promoted Sheffield Wednesday team

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 09:30 - Aug 2 with 1889 viewsPatfromPoole

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 09:17 - Aug 2 by SaintNick

Not sure what the problem is with the Hampshire live team, especially the back four.

Predicted Saints XI: Bazunu, Livramento, Stephens, Charles, Manning, Smallbone, Ward-Prowse, Alcaraz, Tella, Edozie, A Armstrong.

You have Livramento, one of the best right back prospects in England and Manning one of the best left backs in the Championship last season and proven at the level we are playing at.

The centre of defence is a problem, I have been a critic of Stephens but this is not the Premier League and Charles has not looked out of place in the centre of defence.

The midfield is especially strong and up front you have Armstrong & Tella who between them have scored 45 goals in their last two Championship seasons .

Why would you feel the worst against a newly promoted Sheffield Wednesday team

They turned it on last season in big home games.

I watched them when they beat Newcastle in the FA Cup, and also when they overturned a 4-0 deficit against Peterborough in the play-offs.

In both games, there was a big atmosphere (as there will be on Friday) and Bannan ran the game in midfield, he's a class act.

If they have studied our pre-season games at all, they will know all they have to do is go direct (as they did against Peterborough at times) and also press us when we are fannying about at the back, and we will cave in.

I am going to the game BTW......

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 09:31 - Aug 2 with 1892 viewsMattFinish

Okay Sheff Wed came back from a 4-0 deficit but that was like a cup game against L1 opposition and with a different manager
Their pre season has been 💩
COYS
Sheffield Wednesday win? on 10:12 - Aug 2 with 1869 viewsSaintNick

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 09:30 - Aug 2 by PatfromPoole

They turned it on last season in big home games.

I watched them when they beat Newcastle in the FA Cup, and also when they overturned a 4-0 deficit against Peterborough in the play-offs.

In both games, there was a big atmosphere (as there will be on Friday) and Bannan ran the game in midfield, he's a class act.

If they have studied our pre-season games at all, they will know all they have to do is go direct (as they did against Peterborough at times) and also press us when we are fannying about at the back, and we will cave in.

I am going to the game BTW......

So Saints didn't turn it on in any big games then ? Chelsea at home and away for instance.

The fact that they were 4-0 down from the first leg tells you something as well

Barry Bannan will turn 34 in December, you say he is a class act, would he get in our likely midfield on Friday of Ward Prowse, Lavia, Alcaraz and Edozie/Smallbone.

He has not played above Championship level since 2015, when he managed 22 appearances for Palace in two seasons although he was shipped out on loan to Bolton for part of the season.

Come on Pat, Bannan is a class act in League One but back in the Championship at 34(Nearly) and up against Ward Prowse & Lavia.

There is the direct aspect of things, but then again it is a question of quality, I have watched Totton a few times, they play teams that are direct, but they would not get much change from Saints.

How you getting up there Friday I might need a lift lol

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 10:31 - Aug 2 with 1846 viewsPatfromPoole

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 10:12 - Aug 2 by SaintNick

So Saints didn't turn it on in any big games then ? Chelsea at home and away for instance.

Barry Bannan will turn 34 in December, you say he is a class act, would he get in our likely midfield on Friday of Ward Prowse, Lavia, Alcaraz and Edozie/Smallbone.

He has not played above Championship level since 2015, when he managed 22 appearances for Palace in two seasons although he was shipped out on loan to Bolton for part of the season.

Come on Pat, Bannan is a class act in League One but back in the Championship at 34(Nearly) and up against Ward Prowse & Lavia.

There is the direct aspect of things, but then again it is a question of quality, I have watched Totton a few times, they play teams that are direct, but they would not get much change from Saints.

The Poole Pessimists Society have a full car, I believe……

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 11:36 - Aug 2 with 1787 viewssaints__fan__73

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 10:12 - Aug 2 by SaintNick

Chelsea home and away in total you mean?

FFS Nick,stop trying to defend the worst top flight season in the club's history. We finished last and were by some distance the worst team in the league.

And spent more than £160m on transfer fees alone to do this.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 13:18 - Aug 2 with 1703 viewsSaintNick

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 11:36 - Aug 2 by saints__fan__73

Chelsea home and away in total you mean?

FFS Nick,stop trying to defend the worst top flight season in the club's history. We finished last and were by some distance the worst team in the league.

And spent more than £160m on transfer fees alone to do this.

Im actually suggesting that we put last season in the past and get on with the future

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 18:25 - Aug 2 with 1575 viewsdarthvader

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 20:15 - Aug 1 by dirk_doone

Saints have just come down from the Premier League and Wednesday have just come up from League One so the neutrals and most pundits will be expecting a Saints win.

But, there were no indications from the pre-season games that we have sorted out either the goalkeeping or striking problems. Our strikers and goalkeepers are ones you'd just love to play against.

The last real cause for optimism came from the performance of Sulemana in the Liverpool game and he may not even be playing in this game. Let's hope he makes a surprise appearance.

Of course, we don't know how poor Wednesday are. Maybe they are worse. Their pre-season results have been at least as bad as ours:

8 July 2023 York City 1–1 Sheffield Wednesday
11 July 2023 Chesterfield 1–2 Sheffield Wednesday
14 July 2023 Burnley 3–0 Sheffield Wednesday
18 July 2023 Real Murcia 0–0 Sheffield Wednesday
21 July 2023 CD Eldense 4–0 Sheffield Wednesday
25 July 2023 Doncaster Rovers 1–0 Sheffield Wednesday
29 July 2023 Sheffield Wednesday 1–2 Luton Town
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 20:27]

Side note ..
Real Murcia. Is my club . . I say my club ...i have shares in it . I get my updates and offers to watch them play . One day i hope to when they get good and play over here in some cup competition or other .
Up the Mercys'!!

keep the faith coyr

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 18:33 - Aug 2 with 1565 viewsPatfromPoole

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 13:18 - Aug 2 by SaintNick

Im actually suggesting that we put last season in the past and get on with the future

I agree.

With the caveat that if we continue to make the same mistakes on recruitment, then we will continue to be disappointed.

We all agree that we need more experience in the side, particularly in defence.

If those in charge of recruitment have not addressed this by Sep 1, then we are in for another difficult season. And Russell Martin would actually have my sympathy on that.

Sheffield Wednesday win? on 19:27 - Aug 2 with 1524 viewsDENZY

This game has draw written all over it. We will concede a sloppy late equaliser after dominating possession.

"The Chapel Kop at Southampton is widely regarded as the most passionate and intimidating Kop in European football."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024