Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract 11:43 - Aug 4 with 2674 viewsCity_boy

I'll start the debate.

I have never rated him. He rarely has three consecutive good games and is error prone. However, he will fit into the backwards and sideways style of football.

Given he is still only 29, and the club have only offered him 2 years. That doesn't really show that much commitment or confidence the club has him.

Stephens said,'it was an easy decision for me to sign the contract and I'm really happy." I bet he is.
[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 11:44]
Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 12:01 - Aug 4 with 2611 viewsSaintNick

I have never rated him either, at t least in the Premier League, but he seemed to do well for Bournemouth in the latter half of last season, so he could be ok in the Championship.

Ill judge him after he has played a few games this season it may be nearer his level that’s the Premier

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 12:05 - Aug 4 with 2607 viewsSonicBoom

Odd one. Twitter is full of saints fans saying "he would be my choice for Captain" and seem really happy he's back.
Personally I don't get it. Before he was loaned out he made plenty of errors and actually couldn't nail down a place in the team. Now apparently he's captain material. He wasn't that great at Bournemouth - well they certainly haven't tried to buy him.

I don't mind keeping him as a squad player and perhaps he will be first choice now we're at a lower level.
Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 12:06 - Aug 4 with 2602 viewsSaintNick

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 12:05 - Aug 4 by SonicBoom

Odd one. Twitter is full of saints fans saying "he would be my choice for Captain" and seem really happy he's back.
Personally I don't get it. Before he was loaned out he made plenty of errors and actually couldn't nail down a place in the team. Now apparently he's captain material. He wasn't that great at Bournemouth - well they certainly haven't tried to buy him.

I don't mind keeping him as a squad player and perhaps he will be first choice now we're at a lower level.

Can’t see him as a captain, he is not a leader of men

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 12:18 - Aug 4 with 2579 viewsBazza

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 12:06 - Aug 4 by SaintNick

The Saints manager thinks he's a leader! See the SFC website
Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 12:22 - Aug 4 with 2573 viewsTimSaint

Can you see him as a Holding Midfielder ?

Wasn't there talk of him taking this role a couple of years back ?
In fact he may have even played there for one game ?

Personally my view is that he is ok as a squad player - nothing special and like most of our defenders, always has a mistake in him.

I was half expecting Stephens to be one of those we sold.

Currently at CB we have Stephens, Lyanco, Bednarek, Bella-Kotchap and a couple of others who can play there. I still expect 1 or 2 more departures, especially as we are supposed to be getting that youngster from Arsenal.

TimSaint

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 12:38 - Aug 4 with 2538 viewsfelly1

A work colleague of mine who used to be a steward at SMS said during the Covid lockdown and the empty stadiums the one voice you could barking orders and encouragement at the Saints players was Stephens.
Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 15:48 - Aug 4 with 2367 viewsdarthvader

I dont mind him and although like others he has a mistake he also was one of our better players at the start of the season before last ...had a good run of games then he got injured .. and was out fir some time .

There are times this season we will need all of our center backs , there are more games there will be more injuries and suspensions... Rather we keep him who at least wants ho play for us and get rid of im to big for this club salisu.

keep the faith coyr

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 18:59 - Aug 4 with 2255 viewsRon11

I think his problem was/is that he couldn't maintain his concentration levels.Then a mistake would happen.
His commitment always appeared pretty much 100% though, as with Yoshida.
Login to get fewer ads

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 22:41 - Aug 4 with 2152 viewscocklebreath

Totally disagree he’s got a presence about him

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 23:14 - Aug 4 with 2118 viewsdirk_doone

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 22:41 - Aug 4 by cocklebreath

Totally disagree he’s got a presence about him

He may have fallen short in the Premier League but he is going to be outstanding in the Championship. Championship Team of the Season here he comes.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 09:00 - Aug 5 with 1987 viewsMonksway

I thought he was really good tonight as he is the only current centre back that looks confident with the ball at his feet. We weren't really tested tonight except at the set pieces where we conceded through poor organisation with Smallbone ending yo against a big centre back and being slow to the knockdown. I think he'llbe fine but I'd like to see a big strong quick defender alongside him. Bit sure that is Bednarek. Be good if ABK sorts out his attitude and shoulder and knuckles down.
Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 10:47 - Aug 5 with 1907 viewsBerber

There was a period, a few seasons ago when Stevens and Bednarek were outstanding together (was that when we hit No 1?) But, as already stated, all of our CBS have a mistake or six bursting to get out.
Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 11:25 - Aug 5 with 1878 viewsTimSaint

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 18:59 - Aug 4 by Ron11

I think his problem was/is that he couldn't maintain his concentration levels.Then a mistake would happen.
His commitment always appeared pretty much 100% though, as with Yoshida.

Last night he had virtually nothing to do, but still managed to make his customary mistake. Simple clearance, tried to be clever, fvcked it up, got booked and presented Wednesday with an unnecessary opportunity to put the ball in our box.

TimSaint

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 11:49 - Aug 5 with 1859 viewsgartan

He’s a decent player and we play better with in the team imo

Poll: Are we the most bed wetting moaning fans in the prem?

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 12:46 - Aug 5 with 1807 viewsCity_boy

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 11:25 - Aug 5 by TimSaint

Last night he had virtually nothing to do, but still managed to make his customary mistake. Simple clearance, tried to be clever, fvcked it up, got booked and presented Wednesday with an unnecessary opportunity to put the ball in our box.

I agree. He still managed to put us under pressure with his crazy attempt to win ball back after losing it and giving away a free kick in dangerous position. It was clear that Wednesday were only going to score from a set piece.

Given that we still can't defend balls lobbed into the box, this could have been costly.
Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 16:09 - Aug 5 with 1741 viewskingslandstand1

Jack Stephens signs new 2 year contract on 12:46 - Aug 5 by City_boy

I agree. He still managed to put us under pressure with his crazy attempt to win ball back after losing it and giving away a free kick in dangerous position. It was clear that Wednesday were only going to score from a set piece.

Given that we still can't defend balls lobbed into the box, this could have been costly.

The problem is he still thinks he's better than he actually is, though he apparently didn't do too badly at B'muff. Can't ever doubt his committment, bus as said above, mistakes waiting to happen
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024