Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Same old same old 17:13 - Aug 12 with 4635 viewsMeonsaint

Well that's the Russell Martin bounce back feel good factor over ! Same problems as the previous seasons. We just can't defend.
When are our managers ever going to learn ? You can't win any football matches without a decent defence.
In over 50 years of watching the Saints, Bazuna has to be the worst goal keeper ever to don the number 1 jersey. He is absolutely bloody useless. Same as last season, nearly every shot on target seems to go in.
A lucky draw. A pat on the back to the players for a battling draw but goodness me, shocking defending. As Souness would say too many defenders going to sleep at crucial times of the game, Manning especially for the 4th. As a pro footballer not being able to control the ball with his right foot in a dangerous defending situation is unacceptable. I suppose this is the standards and levels of performances that we have to get used to ?
Rant over.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 17:15]
Same old same old on 17:42 - Aug 12 with 3556 viewssaint22

It’s pretty pathetic
Bring in a manager whose defensive record is appalling but he plays attractive passing football
No effort to sign a good keeper or centre backs and there you have it
Same old same old on 17:56 - Aug 12 with 3504 viewsSouthamptonfan

It was a cracking game of football
We attacked, it was end to end. Need to tighten up at the back obviously but 4 points from two games, 6 goals, lots of effort, the crowd were full on behind the team. Fully entertaining, no tourists or away fans spoiling the day. It was great. This thread doesn't represent the buzzing feeling outside the ground after the game. The squad and team isn't the finished product yet. Lots of time to iron out the issues - hopefully.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 17:58]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Same old same old on 18:18 - Aug 12 with 3436 viewssaint22

Same old same old on 17:56 - Aug 12 by Southamptonfan

It was a cracking game of football
We attacked, it was end to end. Need to tighten up at the back obviously but 4 points from two games, 6 goals, lots of effort, the crowd were full on behind the team. Fully entertaining, no tourists or away fans spoiling the day. It was great. This thread doesn't represent the buzzing feeling outside the ground after the game. The squad and team isn't the finished product yet. Lots of time to iron out the issues - hopefully.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 17:58]

Cracking game and entertaining maybe
Conceding 4 at home with poor defending again isn’t good
Don’t dress it up any other way if we want promotion we need a new keeper and a leader or two at the back NOW
Same old same old on 18:26 - Aug 12 with 3411 viewsSouthamptonfan

Same old same old on 18:18 - Aug 12 by saint22

Cracking game and entertaining maybe
Conceding 4 at home with poor defending again isn’t good
Don’t dress it up any other way if we want promotion we need a new keeper and a leader or two at the back NOW

Trust me, after the sideways, backwards defensive dross last season, when we never scored, this was miles better. Yes, the defence needs to improve but this isn't the finished squad yet and full credit to Norwich, not every team will attack like they did. It was a full house, great atmosphere, lots of goals, we didn't give up and lie down, we kept coming back. Lots of good signs.

Same old same old on 18:37 - Aug 12 with 3385 viewsButty101

Same old same old on 18:26 - Aug 12 by Southamptonfan

Trust me, after the sideways, backwards defensive dross last season, when we never scored, this was miles better. Yes, the defence needs to improve but this isn't the finished squad yet and full credit to Norwich, not every team will attack like they did. It was a full house, great atmosphere, lots of goals, we didn't give up and lie down, we kept coming back. Lots of good signs.

As Nick said don’t judge baz on la at seasons performance. So we now know he’s not championship standard either

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Same old same old on 18:39 - Aug 12 with 3379 viewsfelly1

Thoroughly enjoyed a right old ding doing game of football.
Love the Championship so far...
Same old same old on 19:11 - Aug 12 with 3329 viewsSouthamptonfan

Same old same old on 18:39 - Aug 12 by felly1

Thoroughly enjoyed a right old ding doing game of football.
Love the Championship so far...

Absolutely. It was exciting and entertaining. Competitive, unpredictable, love the championship too.

Same old same old on 19:20 - Aug 12 with 3309 viewssaint22

Same old same old on 18:26 - Aug 12 by Southamptonfan

All noted and good signs are great
But with that keeper we are never going up
Winning teams are built in solid defence and we don’t have that
Login to get fewer ads

Same old same old on 19:29 - Aug 12 with 3284 viewsSouthamptonfan

Same old same old on 19:20 - Aug 12 by saint22

All noted and good signs are great
But with that keeper we are never going up
Winning teams are built in solid defence and we don’t have that

The keeper is a concern. He doesn't seem to save anything but hopefully we can improve the defence and not just that we need a defensive midfielder. The midfield is lightweight but when JWP leaves we will replace.

Same old same old on 19:37 - Aug 12 with 3258 viewswashington_saint

Dear god, what a miserable bunch of buggers! Martin will be good for us: he comes across well and he has a bunch of misfits playing some lovely football in a short space of time.

A hugely entertaining game (and how often have Saints entertained the home crowd in the last 3-4 years?).

With many fans there will never be any pleasing them.
Same old same old on 19:40 - Aug 12 with 3246 viewssaint22

Same old same old on 19:37 - Aug 12 by washington_saint

Dear god, what a miserable bunch of buggers! Martin will be good for us: he comes across well and he has a bunch of misfits playing some lovely football in a short space of time.

A hugely entertaining game (and how often have Saints entertained the home crowd in the last 3-4 years?).

Yeah I mean who wants to see old Mistakes eradicated, keeeprs who save shots and command their area and a winning team
Same old same old on 19:43 - Aug 12 with 3239 viewsSouthamptonfan

I don't think the odd one or two moaners on here are representative of the crowd at St Mary's! I was there probably like you, and the atmosphere was buzzing after the game. RM will come good for us. He is a breath of fresh air.

Same old same old on 19:51 - Aug 12 with 3203 viewsHeisenberg

3 games in. Unbeaten in the league and some seem to have written off RM forgetting he has taken over a poor side that is going to take time to turn around. The Gillingham game was used to assess the squad which he soon found is lacking in both quality and commitment. Add to that losing JWP, Lavia and others likely to leave I honestly have no idea what people expect. Give the guy a chance at least.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Same old same old on 19:57 - Aug 12 with 3186 viewsNYC_Saint

Where can I see RM post match comments? Used to see full script on newsnoow within 15 mins of the game when in Prem. No we're in the Championship not as easy for ex pats to watch the games...
Same old same old on 20:03 - Aug 12 with 3171 viewsSouthamptonfan

Same old same old on 19:57 - Aug 12 by NYC_Saint

Where can I see RM post match comments? Used to see full script on newsnoow within 15 mins of the game when in Prem. No we're in the Championship not as easy for ex pats to watch the games...

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23719081.southamptons-martin-disappointed-prou

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/martin-flynn-downes-

Same old same old on 20:06 - Aug 12 with 3168 viewsMeonsaint

Same old same old on 19:43 - Aug 12 by Southamptonfan

I don't think the odd one or two moaners on here are representative of the crowd at St Mary's! I was there probably like you, and the atmosphere was buzzing after the game. RM will come good for us. He is a breath of fresh air.

We are entitled to be moaning buggars. Family, job, SFC it’s my passion in that order. Like the majority of Saints fans it makes or breaks our weekends when we win. I am disappointed that we didn’t win today. Last weekend I felt a huge burden has been lifted from the club after the outstanding performance at Hillsborough. What a brilliant totally dominant display from the Saints. Today was great for the entertainment factor but give me a scrappy one nil win any day as opposed to a happy clapping lovey dovey 4/4 draw. Bollox to that, rather be top of the table enjoying my Saturday night out.

Just an opinion of a Saints fan that’s followed our beloved club through thick and thin since 1972.

Russell Martin is a media upgrade on the Welsh Druid that’s for sure but I would rather he spent more time working on our defensive frailties.

We ain’t going to win Fck all of we can’t defend set pieces.
Btw KWP is a shite defender in my opinion. Great going forward but bloody ell, his defensive attributes are woeful.

Just giving my views, I know everyone has their own but that’s what this board is all about isn’t it ?
Up the Saints.
Same old same old on 20:33 - Aug 12 with 3102 viewsSouthamptonfan

Same old same old on 20:06 - Aug 12 by Meonsaint

We are entitled to be moaning buggars. Family, job, SFC it’s my passion in that order. Like the majority of Saints fans it makes or breaks our weekends when we win. I am disappointed that we didn’t win today. Last weekend I felt a huge burden has been lifted from the club after the outstanding performance at Hillsborough. What a brilliant totally dominant display from the Saints. Today was great for the entertainment factor but give me a scrappy one nil win any day as opposed to a happy clapping lovey dovey 4/4 draw. Bollox to that, rather be top of the table enjoying my Saturday night out.

Just an opinion of a Saints fan that’s followed our beloved club through thick and thin since 1972.

Russell Martin is a media upgrade on the Welsh Druid that’s for sure but I would rather he spent more time working on our defensive frailties.

We ain’t going to win Fck all of we can’t defend set pieces.
Btw KWP is a shite defender in my opinion. Great going forward but bloody ell, his defensive attributes are woeful.

Just giving my views, I know everyone has their own but that’s what this board is all about isn’t it ?
Up the Saints.

Give your views - absolutely. But cheer up. I'm looking at the bigger picture - I moaned last season because we had players who were bottlers and we lost what seemed like every game. Better times are around the corner. The defence was sh!t today but the midfield didn't help, without a defensive midfielder in there. Flynn Downes will help with that. Ketchup is going so we will no doubt add another defender. The team isn't our team yet. We've had a lot of upheaval and uncertainty. We might yet recruit some players. We can hopefully iron out the defensive issues and still see an attacking, exciting performance. I'm just relieved that unlike last year, we had a team out there, that yes made mistakes, but they gave their all to the final second, they care, and we haven't yet collapsed, sulked or given up. This team is full of energy, full of care and is a breath of fresh air. We didn't win, but Burnley were 15th after 8 games last season but went on to win the league. After a terrible season last year, when players couldn't care a less and we had nothing to cheer all year at StMarys, I.enjoyed every one of those goals today,.6th in the league, 4 points, 6 goals, a team that tries and doesn't give up. Yes need to improve defensively but we are only 2 games.im. im feeling optimistic but hey we will have to see.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 20:37]

Same old same old on 20:47 - Aug 12 with 3061 viewsNYC_Saint

Same old same old on 20:03 - Aug 12 by Southamptonfan

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23719081.southamptons-martin-disappointed-prou

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/martin-flynn-downes-

Much appreciated thank you
Same old same old on 20:52 - Aug 12 with 3046 viewsMeonsaint

Same old same old on 20:33 - Aug 12 by Southamptonfan

Give your views - absolutely. But cheer up. I'm looking at the bigger picture - I moaned last season because we had players who were bottlers and we lost what seemed like every game. Better times are around the corner. The defence was sh!t today but the midfield didn't help, without a defensive midfielder in there. Flynn Downes will help with that. Ketchup is going so we will no doubt add another defender. The team isn't our team yet. We've had a lot of upheaval and uncertainty. We might yet recruit some players. We can hopefully iron out the defensive issues and still see an attacking, exciting performance. I'm just relieved that unlike last year, we had a team out there, that yes made mistakes, but they gave their all to the final second, they care, and we haven't yet collapsed, sulked or given up. This team is full of energy, full of care and is a breath of fresh air. We didn't win, but Burnley were 15th after 8 games last season but went on to win the league. After a terrible season last year, when players couldn't care a less and we had nothing to cheer all year at StMarys, I.enjoyed every one of those goals today,.6th in the league, 4 points, 6 goals, a team that tries and doesn't give up. Yes need to improve defensively but we are only 2 games.im. im feeling optimistic but hey we will have to see.

Fair play and a good structured response. As we have our Tella back where he rightfully belongs, his experience last season will help us “ do a Burnley”.

I am not miserable just disappointed that we didn’t win.

Russell Martin seems switched on and sharp. When he guides us to the illustrious heights of the Premiership then he will be held in legend status by the fans the same as Atkins until his tenure was in my opinion cruelly cut short by Cortese.

Bring on QPR to a cauldron, hostile, amphitheater of noise at SMS.
Same old same old on 21:09 - Aug 12 with 3014 viewsgrumpy

Relief when we got the equalizer,but on reflection conceding 4 goals at home to Norwich wasn't much to get excited with.
If we are going to progress that defence needs serious attention.
Martin needs time I know,but we are desperate for a Goalkeeper,bringing in an ex Reading goalkeeper worries me as that maybe his only move on that position.
A good goal scoring Centre forward is another priority,Adams scored again today and there's talk of him leaving,Armstrong scored two penalties so I'm hoping he can do that more often other than from the Penalty Spot.
Flynn Downes does he even want to be here.
The Arsenal young defender looks good,lets hope he gets plenty of game time.
This team to me looks all over the place,I'm just hoping that Martin is going to sort it out.
Same old same old on 21:18 - Aug 12 with 2991 viewsSouthamptonfan

Same old same old on 20:52 - Aug 12 by Meonsaint

Fair play and a good structured response. As we have our Tella back where he rightfully belongs, his experience last season will help us “ do a Burnley”.

I am not miserable just disappointed that we didn’t win.

Russell Martin seems switched on and sharp. When he guides us to the illustrious heights of the Premiership then he will be held in legend status by the fans the same as Atkins until his tenure was in my opinion cruelly cut short by Cortese.

Bring on QPR to a cauldron, hostile, amphitheater of noise at SMS.

👍

Same old same old on 21:37 - Aug 12 with 2947 viewsBison

As what ?

Great entertainment , better than the cinema watching The Meg2.

COYS - Great stuff guys , lot to learn but wow.

If we get promoted can we say 'NO' and stay in this League ?

Hopefully The Saudi World League will take off soon .

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Same old same old on 21:53 - Aug 12 with 2900 viewsSFC_Referee

Same old same old on 20:33 - Aug 12 by Southamptonfan

Completely agree, as there’s many factors to take into account after todays game.
As after our last home league game last season against Liverpool, I’m sure most saints fans would’ve taken 4 points from our first two games in the championship if you’d offered to to them back then, and even more so if you told them that none of Lavia, Prowse, ABK, CC, Livermento etc… would be playing, with only about 2 decent signings made. As I think most fans would have bitten your hand straight off back then for that

As the cup game isn’t much to go off seeing how only 2 players started that game who were majorly involved in todays and last Fridays games. As they were practically different teams seeing how few connections they had, which hasn’t made us look like we’ll struggle this season for our starting 11, but rather highlighted the difference in quality between our bench/rotation players and our regular ones, and it’s again very similar for our results we got from our pre season friendlies with how much the squads changed and how the games didn’t have anywhere near the same levels of mentality as these league ones have.
Which is exactly why our two league games haven’t actually been half bad and have been two decent enough performances from a squad that’s lead to us getting a points tally which only two teams have beaten so far. Whilst other teams that many had to go up, like Leeds, Middlesbrough, Sunderland etc… have all had rubbish starts to the championship

And that’s all excluding the fact that we played against another top quality team today, that will also be challenging for promotion this season, and seeing how they were today can also see them at the very least, grabbing one of those playoff spots. Yet we’ve managed to get a decent draw against them with a squad that’s lost most of the spinal players of last season, which has also lead to a massive loss in quality. Yet we still have managed to get the points, whilst if it had been last seasons team, rather than being 3-2 down at halftime with still that hope in us, we’d of been 3-0 down with many fans having left the ground already!

As like you said this squads far from being complete, and seeing how all of ABK, Prowse and Lavia look to be off now, I think we’ll see a fair few new signings come in over the next week before the Plymouth game now. As we’re now at a point where it’s probably just KWP, Adams and maybe Smallbone left for who COULD go, but even then I struggle to see any of them leaving either, meaning that we can now start to see the default team for this season start to shape up over the next few weeks. And hopefully we can get in the players we need, as I personally think we need another holding midfielder, another centre half and that Pirlo from Swansea, which if we manage to get all of, can see this having been a pretty decent transfer market.

But more need to realise that this is far from a complete squad, and for all the major players we were missing today, all the new signings we’ve not made yet, all the indecisiveness around many players, how poor we were last season, and for how decent Norwich looked today, I really don’t see todays result being that poor of one whatsoever.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2023 22:48]

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Same old same old on 22:28 - Aug 12 with 2861 viewsChesham_Saint

Entertaining? Yes - to a degree if you don’t mind seeing SFC let in goals like a schoolboy team. But I need to see wins and that defence is an absolute crock of shit. Get Perraud back in for starters.

I see no reason yet to rejoice at the appointment of RM.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Same old same old on 22:35 - Aug 12 with 2845 viewsRon11

Same old same old on 22:28 - Aug 12 by Chesham_Saint

Entertaining? Yes - to a degree if you don’t mind seeing SFC let in goals like a schoolboy team. But I need to see wins and that defence is an absolute crock of shit. Get Perraud back in for starters.

I see no reason yet to rejoice at the appointment of RM.

If he's not playing Perraud purely because they don't get on, then he's not doing his job properly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024