Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread - Southampton (A) 20:13 - Aug 25 with 44735 viewsaston_hoop

I don't usually start these so hopefully I'll bring the luck. I just saw this and will leave it here just in case you fancy it....

2-2 for me. High scoring game

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:29 - Aug 26 with 2626 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Bittersweet. I can't fault the effort but ultimately it's another defeat. Colback looks a good recruit who can improve the team once he gets up-to-speed. Dozzell looking a little more assured of late. Gareth has a real job on his hands to maintain belief as, despite the improved performances, defeats can quickly erode confidence. A lack of ruthlessness when on top, squad fitness, and strength in depth from the bench remains the immediate concerns. The case of the lesser spotted Willock and Richards is a mystery to all.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:30 - Aug 26 with 2621 viewsbaz_qpr

General thoughts, overall I think we played well deserved better, need to keep Colback on the pitch for the full 90.

Ultimately we lost to a goal keeping error, nothing we could do about their second.

Ref was diabolical and inconsistent, allowed Armstrong to be constantly fouled and blew for a foul every time he won the ball

Our finishing was poor

Things to be worked on in training this week:

Fitness and finishing

Armstrong taking an earlier step back to stay onside in the 6 yard box (was in an offside position for both the one that counted and the disallowed)

Positives:

Colback
Armstrong playing his first full 90 minuted
Pall
Smyth attacking
Dozzell having best game fro the club
Kakay performance
Set Pieces (Defending)
Team performance
No one going off with cramp

Negatives:

Finishing
Goalkeeping error
Smyth defending
Adomah (again)
Set Pieces (Attacking)
How weak the bench is
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 17:31]
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:30 - Aug 26 with 2621 viewsNorthantsHoop

Ref was terrible, we had our chances but can't convert, they get one with Armstrong and it's in, same as with Chaplin's chance last week. The green shoots are there but unless we can get ahead in games we are going to struggle, defensively a lot sounder at the back.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:32 - Aug 26 with 2580 viewsrbee

Good to see Sinclair play the full game. He definately did less closing down today, no chasing lost causes. Needs to be more offside aware though.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:33 - Aug 26 with 2550 viewsMelakaRanger

Lots to be positive from the match. I was encouraged and leaps and bounds better than at Watford.

Let’s see if we can just continue with gradual but constant improvement . If we can we will be safe this season. That’s all I want!
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:33 - Aug 26 with 2513 viewsDamo1962

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:26 - Aug 26 by BushRanger82

We’re racking up the number of defeats again. And at least we only conceded two, but scored one.

We really do need to get all three points against Middlesbrough next week, though.
Depleted and beleaguered, confidence at an all time low, they are there for the taking.

These are the games that will define our season...not today's.Got so used to losing now...that it feels normal 🤔 Nurse !😉
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:37 - Aug 26 with 2445 viewsdmm

Our bench really is a problem. Today we had some kids and an old man. That's not to criticise the kids. We simply need higher quality subs than they can provide just now. As for the old man, well it's a season way too far for him.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:44 - Aug 26 with 2360 viewsAntti_Heinola

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:37 - Aug 26 by dmm

Our bench really is a problem. Today we had some kids and an old man. That's not to criticise the kids. We simply need higher quality subs than they can provide just now. As for the old man, well it's a season way too far for him.

Trying to think who we're waiting to come back to fill out the bench a bit...

Willock
Dunne
Dykes

That's it, isn't it?

Bloody hell.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:46 - Aug 26 with 2326 viewscorse

Interesting ref. But if you think about the game 90 min + then apart from first half nice goal and those couple of half decent changes in the second half we were not good at all. 5+4 defence line and half witted counter attacks hardly never materialize in 3 points gained. Poor.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:51 - Aug 26 with 2257 viewsjohnhoop

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:44 - Aug 26 by Antti_Heinola

Willock
Dunne
Dykes

That's it, isn't it?

Bloody hell.

I was going to say you forgot Taylor Richards but then again, you probably didn’t.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:53 - Aug 26 with 2217 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Willock
Dunne
Dykes

That's it, isn't it?

Bloody hell.

Richards is another one though I concede that the phrase "waiting to come back" suggests that a player was involved previously.

His case bemuses me. He's our player, he's not injured (as far as I'm aware), but he doesn't even make the bench. What's going on there?
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:55 - Aug 26 with 2186 viewsB_Wad

Willock
Dunne
Dykes

That's it, isn't it?

Bloody hell.

Clarke-Salter for what it's worth.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:58 - Aug 26 with 2141 viewsManinBlack

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:09 - Aug 26 by Damo1962

The Communist Broadcasting Corporation reporter, managed to get his full time report in, without mentioning either our goal or performance. Defund them.

Indeed. It was all about Southampton and how they deserved to win. No mention of us at all. I assume he based his case on 75% Southampton possession instead of looking at the number of shots we had both on and off target which was more than the Saints managed.

Unfortunately the awful Cardiff are now above us. My concern is if you keep losing when playing well that eventually you lose belief and form and still lose making it the perfect recipe for relegation. Right now I can't see us scoring enough to stay up or keep any clean sheets. A situation not helped when these refs always favour teams at the top over those at the bottom as today demonstrated.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:58 - Aug 26 with 2134 viewsNov77

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:30 - Aug 26 by baz_qpr

General thoughts, overall I think we played well deserved better, need to keep Colback on the pitch for the full 90.

Ultimately we lost to a goal keeping error, nothing we could do about their second.

Ref was diabolical and inconsistent, allowed Armstrong to be constantly fouled and blew for a foul every time he won the ball

Our finishing was poor

Things to be worked on in training this week:

Fitness and finishing

Armstrong taking an earlier step back to stay onside in the 6 yard box (was in an offside position for both the one that counted and the disallowed)

Positives:

Colback
Armstrong playing his first full 90 minuted
Pall
Smyth attacking
Dozzell having best game fro the club
Kakay performance
Set Pieces (Defending)
Team performance
No one going off with cramp

Negatives:

Finishing
Goalkeeping error
Smyth defending
Adomah (again)
Set Pieces (Attacking)
How weak the bench is
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 17:31]

Yeah Armstrong got lucky with the one we scored, you can’t just stand there in the keepers line of vision, got away with one there, he needs to be smarter than that.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:02 - Aug 26 with 2094 viewsdmm

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:55 - Aug 26 by B_Wad

Clarke-Salter for what it's worth.

He was on the bench today
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:05 - Aug 26 with 2067 viewsdistortR

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:53 - Aug 26 by Benny_the_Ball

Richards is another one though I concede that the phrase "waiting to come back" suggests that a player was involved previously.

His case bemuses me. He's our player, he's not injured (as far as I'm aware), but he doesn't even make the bench. What's going on there?

Watched him at half time last week. Looked like he was carrying a bit of weight, and, to me, he looked less than disinterested.
If Beale has any integrity, he'll step in and take him to glasgow rangers.
Obviously, Beale doesn't have any integrity.
The only player we paid a transfer fee for this summer.
I really hope he wakes up to what's happening to his career sharpish.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:07 - Aug 26 with 2037 viewsdistortR

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:05 - Aug 26 by distortR

Watched him at half time last week. Looked like he was carrying a bit of weight, and, to me, he looked less than disinterested.
If Beale has any integrity, he'll step in and take him to glasgow rangers.
Obviously, Beale doesn't have any integrity.
The only player we paid a transfer fee for this summer.
I really hope he wakes up to what's happening to his career sharpish.

But, I'm guilty of accentuating the negative there. Overall, think we are on the right track, Ainsworth is starting to get a tune out of this disparate mob. Dozzell looks like he's getting his mojo back.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:15 - Aug 26 with 1938 viewsdmm

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:07 - Aug 26 by distortR

But, I'm guilty of accentuating the negative there. Overall, think we are on the right track, Ainsworth is starting to get a tune out of this disparate mob. Dozzell looks like he's getting his mojo back.

Agree about Dozzell who, although I'd like to see him affecting games more, is steadily improving.

Richards however is really beginning to make me grumpy. Although at my age, that's not an uncommon thing!
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:17 - Aug 26 with 1922 viewsvanrrrr

Good effort that was appreciated by the away end

we do need a RB and CM in the last week of the window if we can the drop off with the likes of Adomah and Duke McKenna is huge,, tried hard but over matched at that level

On we go…..
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:26 - Aug 26 with 1839 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:15 - Aug 26 by dmm

Agree about Dozzell who, although I'd like to see him affecting games more, is steadily improving.

Richards however is really beginning to make me grumpy. Although at my age, that's not an uncommon thing!

The problem runs deep with Richards IMO.He is healthy and appears to be working hard in the training videos yet does not even make the bench.
Either he does not give a fcuk or GA is trying to make a hard point by ignoring him.
We are desperate and to see a highly paid Pro not bleed blue and white or try and help out the kids is infurating.
Albert is way past it sadly ,will never effect positive change only negative I fear but at least he is giving his all plus a great role model for the young guns.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:30 - Aug 26 with 1808 viewsJuzzie

Defo need points but we’ve played three away, one at home. Need to now get those home points on the board to offset the away losses.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2023 18:40]
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:36 - Aug 26 with 1761 viewsQPRSteve

I'm optimistic that we will get something at Middlesbrough next week. Plus I think we will have some loan reinforcements in by then.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:41 - Aug 26 with 1707 viewsBushRanger82

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 17:33 - Aug 26 by Damo1962

These are the games that will define our season...not today's.Got so used to losing now...that it feels normal 🤔 Nurse !😉

I know what you mean, mate.
Losing should never feel normal, that's for sure.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:50 - Aug 26 with 1632 viewsnix

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:26 - Aug 26 by CLAREMAN1995

The problem runs deep with Richards IMO.He is healthy and appears to be working hard in the training videos yet does not even make the bench.
Either he does not give a fcuk or GA is trying to make a hard point by ignoring him.
We are desperate and to see a highly paid Pro not bleed blue and white or try and help out the kids is infurating.
Albert is way past it sadly ,will never effect positive change only negative I fear but at least he is giving his all plus a great role model for the young guns.

I think the problem with him is he can't rely on him to track back or try and win the ball back. We can't carry those kind of players at the moment. We need our midfield and even our forwards to help our defence. Today, even Armstrong and Chair were quite involved in helping out in defence. It was why Andre Gray never worked even though he scored a reasonable number of goals.
Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 19:02 - Aug 26 with 1568 viewsMatch82

Match Thread - Southampton (A) on 18:26 - Aug 26 by CLAREMAN1995

I do think it's time to call the Adomah era over. When you're coming on as a sub and you still look off the pace that's not good.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024