Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Striker 10:12 - Aug 29 with 3431 viewsPatfromPoole

TICK TOCK
TICK TOCK

Time for the Club to show whether they are serious about wanting to get promoted or not this season.

Missing out on Piroe may yet be the moment which defines the season.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

New Striker on 10:24 - Aug 29 with 2037 viewssaintwizzler

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cqz86VWpl67/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

New Striker on 10:25 - Aug 29 with 2036 viewsSaintNick

It all depends on what happens with Che Adams, so from this perspective it is not completely in the clubs hands and that is the problem with transfer windows.

The other things about transfer windows is that it is best to sit back and reserve judgement until the window has closed.

I think the club has shown that it is serious in that it has signed some good players both permanently and on loan and it has gained 10 points out of a possible 12 despite transfer turmoil.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

New Striker on 10:50 - Aug 29 with 1996 viewsPatfromPoole

New Striker on 10:24 - Aug 29 by saintwizzler

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cqz86VWpl67/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Little Theo was in that clip as well.

Should we bring him out of retirement to lead the line with Super Sekou?

We could re-create the magic of last season.

New Striker on 10:53 - Aug 29 with 1993 viewsPatfromPoole

New Striker on 10:25 - Aug 29 by SaintNick

It all depends on what happens with Che Adams, so from this perspective it is not completely in the clubs hands and that is the problem with transfer windows.

The other things about transfer windows is that it is best to sit back and reserve judgement until the window has closed.

I think the club has shown that it is serious in that it has signed some good players both permanently and on loan and it has gained 10 points out of a possible 12 despite transfer turmoil.

Che Adams clearly wants to leave.

If he didn’t, he would have played on Saturday.

He is biding his time waiting to see if Palace, Boscombe or A.N. Other Prem club come in for him.

Wilcox ballsed up in letting Piroe go to Leeds.

New Striker on 11:00 - Aug 29 with 1970 viewsSaintNick

New Striker on 10:53 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

He is biding his time waiting to see if Palace, Boscombe or A.N. Other Prem club come in for him.

Martin explained the situation when he said his head wasn't right, yes perhaps he is waiting to see if a club comes in, but if no one does, then he will stay and then we will have too many forwards and we haven't got unlimited money for wages.

Wilcox has done well with transfers in the way he has managed the expectations of everyone the players themselves and the buying clubs and made it clear we wont be browbeaten.

We dont know why we let Piroe go to Leeds, perhaps we didn't really want him he was a stalking horse for our other targets, you can bey your bottom dollar that his agent would have been playing us off against Leeds to up the money etc, we wouldnt just have picked up the paper and read about it

New Striker on 11:05 - Aug 29 with 1943 viewsSFC_Referee

But it won’t be if Che stays. As each day goes by, and less and less is being linked with Adams, the more and more I’m starting to believe RM around simply not playing Che at the weekend simply due to his mindset, rather than actually having any offers from others for him or such.
As if we don’t sell Che, yeah another striker wouldn’t be a bad thing, but I’d still rather have another centre half or midfielder than a striker for who we’ve got now

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

New Striker on 11:13 - Aug 29 with 1946 viewsTimSaint

We still have A Arm, Adams, Tall Paul and Mara on our books - as (alleged) strikers. We also have Aribo, Djenepo, Sulemana and Alcaraz who can play up front. We then have the likes of Amo-Ameyaw, Ballard, Doyle etc who are front men and pushing for game time.

That is a lot of players, of which, some are obviously surplus to requirements and some not quite ready yet.

I reckon we need to get a few off the books before we can buy.

The trouble is, apart from Adams, nobody else is really wanted. All the Sulemana, Aribo and Tall Paul rumours have died a death.

Other teams don't seem to want to buy our players. The odd loan is ok as it saves (some of the) wages, but it just runs down the player's contract and like so many times in the past with Cedric, Hoedt, FF, Elyounoussi etc, they end up leaving on a free and denying us a transfer fee.

ABK looks like he will go to Germany, but on loan. Perraud has been loaned out, not sold. Lyanco also looks like his move will be a loan. DCC was a loan but may turn out to be a sale.

We really need to get rid of 3 or 4 players, particularly those that haven't featured and I fear that we will only get a replacement striker in, if and when we sell Adams plus a couple more.

TimSaint

New Striker on 11:26 - Aug 29 with 1919 viewsdirk_doone

New Striker on 10:53 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

Piroe himself preferred Farke's Leeds so there wasn't much we could do about that. He's seen Farke win the Championship twice already while he's been stuck in a mid-table team with Martin so his decision makes sense.

Unfortunately, Piroe was the one player we really needed from Swansea. We are now being linked with some really second-rate alternatives like Miovski, who looks more like a token gesture than a player who'll be any better than what we have already.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 11:46]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Login to get fewer ads

New Striker on 12:07 - Aug 29 with 1857 viewsSaintNick

New Striker on 11:26 - Aug 29 by dirk_doone

Piroe himself preferred Farke's Leeds so there wasn't much we could do about that. He's seen Farke win the Championship twice already while he's been stuck in a mid-table team with Martin so his decision makes sense.

Unfortunately, Piroe was the one player we really needed from Swansea. We are now being linked with some really second-rate alternatives like Miovski, who looks more like a token gesture than a player who'll be any better than what we have already.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 11:46]

If Piroe was basing his decision on the fact that Farke has taken Norwich up twice, then he wont be holding out much hope of staying up if Leeds are promoted with Leeds going down with all hands twice as well.

New Striker on 12:45 - Aug 29 with 1788 viewsPatfromPoole

New Striker on 11:05 - Aug 29 by SFC_Referee

But it won’t be if Che stays. As each day goes by, and less and less is being linked with Adams, the more and more I’m starting to believe RM around simply not playing Che at the weekend simply due to his mindset, rather than actually having any offers from others for him or such.
As if we don’t sell Che, yeah another striker wouldn’t be a bad thing, but I’d still rather have another centre half or midfielder than a striker for who we’ve got now

Why would we need another midfielder instead of a striker????

New Striker on 12:48 - Aug 29 with 1786 viewsdirk_doone

New Striker on 12:07 - Aug 29 by SaintNick

If Piroe was basing his decision on the fact that Farke has taken Norwich up twice, then he wont be holding out much hope of staying up if Leeds are promoted with Leeds going down with all hands twice as well.

All any of them want is to get a start in the Premier League: a foot in the door. If a Premier League team that's certain to get relegated this season had wanted him, he'd have gone there.

New Striker on 12:52 - Aug 29 with 1776 viewsarfurdent

Do Saints need another striker to avoid relegation? Certainly no need if promotion is the aim as who the hell wants to return to the PL VAR fookfest in-club

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

New Striker on 12:59 - Aug 29 with 1752 viewsdirk_doone

New Striker on 12:52 - Aug 29 by arfurdent

Do Saints need another striker to avoid relegation? Certainly no need if promotion is the aim as who the hell wants to return to the PL VAR fookfest in-club

Wnning the Championship would be the 2nd biggest trophy Saints have ever won. I'd love to see us do it in my lifetime. The promising start to this league season means I'm still clinging on to that hope.
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 13:00]

New Striker on 12:59 - Aug 29 with 1752 viewsandoverpedro

i hope they pull something out the bag because Che does suffer alot of injuries was out 4 times last seasons about 1 month each time as last year showed towards the end he hardly played or perhaps didnt want too a bit a like ABK who was always looking to come off injured didnt really want to be here .

we missed out on the best strikers Goykeres, Piroe, Elliss simms, Hadji wright, these are what we needed to get us up. If Che stays he needs to sign the contract otherwise his heart wont be in it after christmas looking at the free transfer big pay day .
New Striker on 13:07 - Aug 29 with 1716 viewsfranniesTache

Given the conversations I had with people at the club i'm not holding my breath on any major signings this week to be honest.

Would assume we won't spend much more than £15-£20m tops, plus maybe more loans (assuming we can)
New Striker on 13:18 - Aug 29 with 1693 viewsPatfromPoole

New Striker on 13:07 - Aug 29 by franniesTache

Given the conversations I had with people at the club i'm not holding my breath on any major signings this week to be honest.

Would assume we won't spend much more than £15-£20m tops, plus maybe more loans (assuming we can)

I think that would be enough.

I'm not saying we should be spending a certain sum for the sake of it.

If we could get a good striker in on loan, that may well suffice, and in some respects may well be more sensible than an outright purchase.

What I absolutely do not want is for Adams to leave on Friday, us to sign no strikers of any repute at all, and for Martin / Wilcox to come out with the "it's OK, we have Sekou Mara" line, as I heard enough of that nonsense last season.

If Adams goes (as I expect him to), we will have lost 40 goals a season between him and Tella in the space of a week.

Fraser is a good player at this level, but he isn't a prolific goalscorer.

Even if Che were to stay, we should be signing another striker to cover for injuries etc.

New Striker on 13:23 - Aug 29 with 1683 viewsPatfromPoole

New Striker on 12:59 - Aug 29 by andoverpedro

i hope they pull something out the bag because Che does suffer alot of injuries was out 4 times last seasons about 1 month each time as last year showed towards the end he hardly played or perhaps didnt want too a bit a like ABK who was always looking to come off injured didnt really want to be here .

we missed out on the best strikers Goykeres, Piroe, Elliss simms, Hadji wright, these are what we needed to get us up. If Che stays he needs to sign the contract otherwise his heart wont be in it after christmas looking at the free transfer big pay day .

Yes.

Completely agree.

Not sure about Ellis Simms, but the other 3 definitely yes.

My eyebrows were raised last week when Solent Toffee mentioned Maupay at Everton.

A thoroughly nasty piece of work, and not very good at all in the Prem either, but he has a proven track record in the Championship. Getting him in on loan would definitely be a good move to my mind.

New Striker on 13:36 - Aug 29 with 1652 viewsSaintNick

New Striker on 13:23 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

Yes.

Completely agree.

Not sure about Ellis Simms, but the other 3 definitely yes.

My eyebrows were raised last week when Solent Toffee mentioned Maupay at Everton.

A thoroughly nasty piece of work, and not very good at all in the Prem either, but he has a proven track record in the Championship. Getting him in on loan would definitely be a good move to my mind.

As I alluded to earlier, what will happen will happen, it is better to wait and see what actually does happen first before we complain about it.

This time last week the usual suspects were complaining about a lack of incoming and then we bring in 3 Premier League loan signings with two of them coming on and looking the part on Saturday, I would also point out that loan signings for Burnley last season and Nottingham Forest the previous one were significant in getting them promotion.

If Adams leaves and no replacement then there is several months to spend our time moaning about it, so why waste time on doing that now before it happens.

New Striker on 13:41 - Aug 29 with 1643 viewsMattFinish

New Striker on 10:25 - Aug 29 by SaintNick

I admire your undying optimism Nick but I sat back and reserved judgement until the last window has closed and that didn't go too well

The fact of the matter is that for years now our transfer window priority is to get a decent striker and we've consistently failed.
New Striker on 13:51 - Aug 29 with 1623 viewsPatfromPoole

New Striker on 13:36 - Aug 29 by SaintNick

As I alluded to earlier, what will happen will happen, it is better to wait and see what actually does happen first before we complain about it.

This time last week the usual suspects were complaining about a lack of incoming and then we bring in 3 Premier League loan signings with two of them coming on and looking the part on Saturday, I would also point out that loan signings for Burnley last season and Nottingham Forest the previous one were significant in getting them promotion.

If Adams leaves and no replacement then there is several months to spend our time moaning about it, so why waste time on doing that now before it happens.

It's the frustrating deja vu of it all.

Two years ago, we let Ings leave, and replaced him with Broja.

Luckily, Broja was good, and influenced enough games with goals, assists and his all-round play in pushing us up the pitch to enable us to stay up.

At the end of that season, Broja returned to Chelsea and we effectively replaced him with Mara.

We all know how that ended up.

We are reactive as a club. Players are allowed to leave, and we miss the boat on replacing them properly as we leave it too late.

Happens time after time, I'm afraid.

When the window SLAMS SHUT on Friday night, I will be in a bar in Newcastle in advance of Saturday's game, so I am getting my gripes in early

New Striker on 15:12 - Aug 29 with 1526 viewsSaintNick

New Striker on 13:51 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

Luckily, Broja was good, and influenced enough games with goals, assists and his all-round play in pushing us up the pitch to enable us to stay up.

At the end of that season, Broja returned to Chelsea and we effectively replaced him with Mara.

We are reactive as a club. Players are allowed to leave, and we miss the boat on replacing them properly as we leave it too late.

When the window SLAMS SHUT on Friday night, I will be in a bar in Newcastle in advance of Saturday's game, so I am getting my gripes in early

There is no deja vu, a year ago we still had the likes of Semmens running the show, basically from both a football & financial point of view, now we have two tiers, financial and Wilcox as director of football.

We didn't let Ings leave, our hand was forced, Broja came in and now has become some sort of mythical figure, fact was he scored all 6 of his goals in the middle of the season, he had one assist (West Ham on Boxing Day) and in the final third of the season was clearly not interested, he failed to score in any of the final 15 games of the season.

Given we had 1 win and 2 draws in the final 12 games of the season I would hardly say he was influencing games in that final part of the season.

Its the dichotomy of Saints supporters, they can worship a player for scoring 6 goals and completely slag off one in the same time for getting 7, before making him the saviour of the club and claiming that selling him shows the club has no ambition.

New Striker on 15:13 - Aug 29 with 1526 viewssaint22

New Striker on 12:07 - Aug 29 by SaintNick

Piroe went to Leeds because they are paying him more
We never pay enough which is why we never get who we need
New Striker on 15:15 - Aug 29 with 1524 viewssaint22

New Striker on 12:52 - Aug 29 by arfurdent

We need a decent defence to get promoted
New Striker on 15:17 - Aug 29 with 1522 viewsLondonSaint76

New Striker on 13:51 - Aug 29 by PatfromPoole

Agree with that 100% Pat, at least you will be in the right place to raise a glass to our great recruitment team come 11pm - or drown your sorrows.
I don’t disagree with what Nick has said about good work bringing in the 3 PL loan players but I do think missing out on Piroe was huge. I’m not even going to add mistake to that if what has been posted elsewhere is true, that being, he chose Leeds over us.
What I do think should happen with Che is this:
If as RM states his head is all over the place with all the conflicting advice he is being given then the Club should make the decision for him. If nothing is agreed by Wednesday midnight tell him the drawbridge is being pulled up, all offers will be rejected, he’s staying. This avoids another Orisc or Tall Paul moment at about 22.15 on Friday evening.
I am so fed up with all of the uncertainty, rumour and counter rumour I think I am going off grid until Friday midnight. No UI, no News Now updates, no Echo, no BBC football news, nothing. Then just take a nervous peek at midnight on Friday and see what’s gone and what’s arrived. At that point it will either be Vive la (Sport) République or maybe not…
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 15:21]

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

New Striker on 15:22 - Aug 29 with 1513 viewsSaintNick

New Striker on 15:17 - Aug 29 by LondonSaint76

Agree with that 100% Pat, at least you will be in the right place to raise a glass to our great recruitment team come 11pm - or drown your sorrows.
I don’t disagree with what Nick has said about good work bringing in the 3 PL loan players but I do think missing out on Piroe was huge. I’m not even going to add mistake to that if what has been posted elsewhere is true, that being, he chose Leeds over us.
What I do think should happen with Che is this:
If as RM states his head is all over the place with all the conflicting advice he is being given then the Club should make the decision for him. If nothing is agreed by Wednesday midnight tell him the drawbridge is being pulled up, all offers will be rejected, he’s staying. This avoids another Orisc or Tall Paul moment at about 22.15 on Friday evening.
I am so fed up with all of the uncertainty, rumour and counter rumour I think I am going off grid until Friday midnight. No UI, no News Now updates, no Echo, no BBC football news, nothing. Then just take a nervous peek at midnight on Friday and see what’s gone and what’s arrived. At that point it will either be Vive la (Sport) République or maybe not…
[Post edited 29 Aug 2023 15:21]

I dont want to seem a pedant here, but Orsic was signed on the 6th January

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024