Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Total Options? 17:34 - Sep 2 with 5875 viewsdingdangblue

Erm...

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Total Options? on 17:51 - Sep 2 with 5800 viewsJames1980

What was it Jonahwheru said about reaction when we lose?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Total Options? on 18:06 - Sep 2 with 5743 views442Dale

Today was the first time this season we haven’t visibly seemed to change things up in a game. That in itself deserves some patience as it’s hopefully a learning curve that can be used to show we do need to vary things a bit more.

It would have been achievable today to do that with better use of subs and shifting the roles of those out on the pitch. Frustrating that we didn’t and it’s on McNulty to learn from those mistakes.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Total Options? on 19:28 - Sep 2 with 5536 viewsrafc1984

Really poor show today. Too slow all round, sideway passing and backwards is just so boring and we do far too much of it. Could see there plan in first 5 mins and Jim did nothing to combat it.
In the end best team won.
I really hope Jim learns that you need a plan B and C but on todays and from what I've seen this season he's coming across as an articulate one trick pony.
Total Options? on 19:33 - Sep 2 with 5521 views442Dale

Total Options? on 19:28 - Sep 2 by rafc1984

Really poor show today. Too slow all round, sideway passing and backwards is just so boring and we do far too much of it. Could see there plan in first 5 mins and Jim did nothing to combat it.
I really hope Jim learns that you need a plan B and C but on todays and from what I've seen this season he's coming across as an articulate one trick pony.

Disagree. He’s shown he knows other tricks, it was slightly baffling why there was no focus on using them today.

Total Options? on 19:54 - Sep 2 with 5445 viewsRAFCBLUE

Completely agree.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Total Options? on 20:26 - Sep 2 with 5364 viewsD_Alien

I'm not sure why we're asking BJ for a plan B or C since we're not talking about someone who's just been parachuted into the job from a distant planet and never experienced what can happen in games

Any one of the couple of thousand Daleys who've been put through the mill these past 2/3 years understands the kind of flexibility that's needed in games, and the lack of it that got us relegated twice and seemingly grateful for beating Eastleigh at home and a fun awayday in York

I was sat near a couple in their mid-30s with two young kids, not seen them before at Dale. They disappeared under the stand and didn't return second half. Today was an absolute travesty of a wasted opportunity

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Total Options? on 20:52 - Sep 2 with 5283 viewsTalkingSutty

I think overall we've played some good progressive football this season and scored some good goals. We've been the architects of our own downfall in some games also, but that wasn't the case today. We were completely outplayed throughout the duration of the game and tactically McNulty was unable to respond in any way, no shape shifting or going a bit route one etc. Limited options on the bench but that doesn't excuse how we started that game today. A local derby and we started the game like lambs, no passion and no desire...we are the home team remember and should be taking the game to the opposition, putting down a marker from the first whistle. Everybody in the ground knew the goal was coming but the manager and the players just plodded on waiting for the inevitable. The manager and the coaches are responsible for how we approach games and we surrendered the initiative from the start. I hope lessons are learned from today and not just shrugged off, we didn't lay a glove on Halifax, it was a feeble effort throughout and men against boys at times. Let's put this one down to a bad day at the office and move on to next week because those are the type of performances that have slowly killed this club over the last few years. Mc Nulty has credit in the bank but the constant passing it around between the defenders and expecting the centre half to provide the creativity is something that i thought we had seen the back of, it was back with a vengeance today unfortunately and the Halifax defenders had time to relax and light up a cigar. Terrible to watch and the manager has to take responsibility for it.
Total Options? on 22:02 - Sep 2 with 5077 views49thseason

Since the start of the 2017/18 season, at home, we have
Played 135
Won 35
Drawn 46
Lost 53
A win % of 25.9%... and a loss % of 39.2% AT HOME!!!

Its a shocking home record by any measurement and a point per game from 4 games doesn't indicate the slightest improvement. They can't blame the training facility, they can't criticise the support they are getting so we have to conclude they simply cannot perform in front of their own supporters....

Overall we have won just 71 of the last 258 games home and away and lost 126 of those 258 games we have won just 25 games against teams who ended the season in the top half .
Login to get fewer ads

Total Options? on 22:11 - Sep 2 with 5045 views442Dale

Total Options? on 22:02 - Sep 2 by 49thseason

Since the start of the 2017/18 season, at home, we have
Played 135
Won 35
Drawn 46
Lost 53
A win % of 25.9%... and a loss % of 39.2% AT HOME!!!

Its a shocking home record by any measurement and a point per game from 4 games doesn't indicate the slightest improvement. They can't blame the training facility, they can't criticise the support they are getting so we have to conclude they simply cannot perform in front of their own supporters....

Overall we have won just 71 of the last 258 games home and away and lost 126 of those 258 games we have won just 25 games against teams who ended the season in the top half .

We all know how bad the home record has been for a long time. The current team has done ok so far this season - today was our worst performance of the season for sure. That happens at this level, in the other three home games we’ve played reasonably well and should have won two of them.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m as constructively critical as anyone about what we could have done better today, however there’s a real danger that it’s forgotten how well a manager many of us wouldn’t have picked as first choice has proven to be adaptable. Something that has helped the squad have a better start than most Dale fans would have expected. Eighth in the first week of September is way above par.

And he’s done this after a multitude of mistakes have been made over recent years that have left him working under difficult circumstances.

Total Options? on 23:26 - Sep 2 with 4894 viewsDalenet

Total Options? on 22:11 - Sep 2 by 442Dale

We all know how bad the home record has been for a long time. The current team has done ok so far this season - today was our worst performance of the season for sure. That happens at this level, in the other three home games we’ve played reasonably well and should have won two of them.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m as constructively critical as anyone about what we could have done better today, however there’s a real danger that it’s forgotten how well a manager many of us wouldn’t have picked as first choice has proven to be adaptable. Something that has helped the squad have a better start than most Dale fans would have expected. Eighth in the first week of September is way above par.

And he’s done this after a multitude of mistakes have been made over recent years that have left him working under difficult circumstances.

Really 442? The Chairman thinks we are playing really attractive football and could well get back in the League this season. He said so on Radio Manchester last week. Doesn't sound like eighth is well above par in his mind.

Personally I don't mind losing if the lads have put a shift in, we've been entertained and the best team won. We got the last one today. Nobody, except perhaps Sinclair, seemed to break into a sweat.
Total Options? on 23:42 - Sep 2 with 4876 views442Dale

Total Options? on 23:26 - Sep 2 by Dalenet

Really 442? The Chairman thinks we are playing really attractive football and could well get back in the League this season. He said so on Radio Manchester last week. Doesn't sound like eighth is well above par in his mind.

Personally I don't mind losing if the lads have put a shift in, we've been entertained and the best team won. We got the last one today. Nobody, except perhaps Sinclair, seemed to break into a sweat.

Best to trust my own judgment and that of fans who know their football about how we’re playing and what would be seen as a reasonable start/season.

We’re doing alright, better than what could have been hoped really. The football is better in the main, more watchable than was perhaps predicted. There’s definitely an argument that our intensity levels didn’t seem to reach the same levels today.

It’s on the manager and the players to get back on track.

Total Options? on 08:24 - Sep 3 with 4656 viewssomdale

It was bad today, and in isolation that is allowed, Halifax grafted all day closing is down.
We had a definite plan second half to work the ball around waiting for an opening through the middle, with one good ball carving them open, the movement worked the run worked but the final ball never. All the football before this is just part of the plan, and credit them for their patience and their ability to keep the ball for long enough periods. But that final ball was never good enough.
I can only praise Halifax today, they did a job on us, it was a nothing game, neither side did enough to win, but we made a big error, they didn't, we lost.
Total Options? on 08:40 - Sep 3 with 4630 viewsTalkingSutty

Total Options? on 08:24 - Sep 3 by somdale

It was bad today, and in isolation that is allowed, Halifax grafted all day closing is down.
We had a definite plan second half to work the ball around waiting for an opening through the middle, with one good ball carving them open, the movement worked the run worked but the final ball never. All the football before this is just part of the plan, and credit them for their patience and their ability to keep the ball for long enough periods. But that final ball was never good enough.
I can only praise Halifax today, they did a job on us, it was a nothing game, neither side did enough to win, but we made a big error, they didn't, we lost.

I thought Halifax were excellent throughout, they had clearly done their home work on us and carried out their plan to perfection. They should have been three goals up in the first thirty minutes of the game. Second half they managed the game very well and to suggest that they didn't do enough to win the game surely can't be right. Had they needed to press for more goals i'm pretty sure they could have done. They didn't need to do, they won with ease. Their managers post match interview was interesting, he suggested that we have had a gentle introduction into the National League with favourable fixtures to start.
Total Options? on 08:44 - Sep 3 with 4621 viewsNorthernDale

To some extent, I have to agree with the chairman, we are capable of winning promotion back to the EFL, but we are hampered by a manager, who is a nice person and liked by the majority of the fans, but has a youth coach mentality at times. Sometimes I think his belief in the total options or possession style is more important, then changing the style to win games. He said after the Stockport game, that he prefers the total options game, because it is nice to watch, but how many times have we dominated games and lost.

I still think we are capable of finishing in the top seven, when we have a full squad that are fit, yes Jim was bemoaning how shallow our squad is after the Halifax defeat. But considering our finances, it is understandable that our squad is thin and it is clear to all Afuye and Shubber are clearly not good enough, so why not give Ehimamiegho a chance.
Total Options? on 08:45 - Sep 3 with 4615 viewsDaley_Lama

Scouting report for any opposing reading managers, think i snoozed through second half.

Right hand side
First 45 mins - recycle the ball to defence or central midfield

Centre midfield
First 45 mins - recycle the ball to left or right or defence but not, i repeat not to the strikers.

Left hand side

First 15 mins
Play it wide to Sinclair, he will cut in and shoot wildly into the TDS

Second 15 mins
Play it wide to Sinclair, John will make a run inside the channel and pass attempted/made (Bromley) and nothing/pen won.

Third 15 mins
Play it wide to Sinclair, recycle

Congrats Halifax - deserved winners yesterday.

Poll: DF in or out

Total Options? on 08:55 - Sep 3 with 4591 views442Dale

Total Options? on 08:44 - Sep 3 by NorthernDale

To some extent, I have to agree with the chairman, we are capable of winning promotion back to the EFL, but we are hampered by a manager, who is a nice person and liked by the majority of the fans, but has a youth coach mentality at times. Sometimes I think his belief in the total options or possession style is more important, then changing the style to win games. He said after the Stockport game, that he prefers the total options game, because it is nice to watch, but how many times have we dominated games and lost.

I still think we are capable of finishing in the top seven, when we have a full squad that are fit, yes Jim was bemoaning how shallow our squad is after the Halifax defeat. But considering our finances, it is understandable that our squad is thin and it is clear to all Afuye and Shubber are clearly not good enough, so why not give Ehimamiegho a chance.

The much mentioned “total options” is more than keeping possession though! The manager can’t be any plainer about this and we do go direct at times as seen in some goals (Woking) and for periods of games (Ebbsfleet). Yesterday we didn’t get this right, the manager’s only failings were he didn’t react tactically.

Not sure on what basis we can say we are capable of promotion having played seven games, unless people have evidence to back that up. It can be an aim of course, but the important thing is we stabilise and get the club back on track on and off the field.

It’s to McNulty’s credit that he’s managed the on field bit so far after only one month of a new season, especially when we feared could see us around the bottom four at this stage. Will he end up being the answer long-term? Who knows. For now though, working under the current circumstances, he’s doing a good job.

Total Options? on 09:09 - Sep 3 with 4558 viewsTVOS1907

No, we will be hampered by the financial situation at the club and the depth and quality of the squad, something McNulty alluded to in his post-match interview yesterday.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Total Options? on 09:50 - Sep 3 with 4452 viewsrichfoad32

Afuye has struggled with the step up and looks out of his depth at present but it's a bit harsh to write him off after half a dozen games and Shubbar hasn't even appeared yet so I'm not sure how anybody has come to the conclusion he's not up to it?
Total Options? on 09:56 - Sep 3 with 4396 viewssamueloneils

At last JM seens to have woken up to the fact that he has a totally unbalanced squad with no strikers to bring on yesterday.

In fact Dale have had no genuine strikers now for 3 seasons- real leaders of the line who keep central defenders busy. ( since Humphreys and Beasley and discounting Quigley).

Is it coincidence that this has resulted in diminishing goals scored and 2 relegations? OK its not just that but.......

Why oh why use up one of the precious loans by bringing in yet another defenfer in Conway?
Total Options? on 11:25 - Sep 3 with 4259 viewsDale_4_Life

The best team won yesterday. Dale never laid a glove.

Using EEL as a playmaker is a joke 90 minutes felt like 180 and hardly any shots on target (zero with any chance of beating the keeper) it was a terribly inept performance.

Dale blew a big chance yesterday in a local derby some stayaways came back specifically because irpt was Halifax.

Why the negative set up and boring recycling of the football between defenders. Get the back four defending and get the ball into the final third with more urgency.. Cameron John looks tethered at halfway with zero intent of going past opposition players at pace on the outside.. the final ball yesterday was pathetic and the finishing horrific. Hendo in an unsuited role 40 yards to deep and Cairo Mitchell isolated.

McNulty needs to get this sorted and quickly... 3 half decent performances and then at home with a half decent crowd on we looked nervous clueless and playing to a system that City academy under 13 would love but it's not for men's football in tier 5.

Again credit to Halifax who looked superior in every department.
Total Options? on 12:07 - Sep 3 with 4144 viewsD_Alien

I think a fair few green shoots of optimism were cut off yesterday, including mine

When JM accepted the role, he knew precisely what the financial and therefore squad limitations were going to be. We all understand that - we don't need it explaining to us. He can, however, control those things within his remit to do so, and yesterday he failed on that account in front of a long-suffering and increased crowd. It felt like a real setback, or reality check, and the Halifax manager had it right

So for me, the jury remains out, and a couple of half-decent performances in the next few games won't alter that. Tbf, he said let's look where we are after ten games, but there's nothing remotely to get excited about yet. Any potential for excitement was drained bit by bit, backpass by backpass, failure to cross the ball and seeming inability to change it

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Total Options? on 12:35 - Sep 3 with 4089 views49thseason

Jim seems like a decent , hard working bloke, but you wonder if he wouldnt benefit from being more of the alpha male, leader of the pack sort of personality. These young kids receive lots of advice and encouragement, of that I have no doubt, but occasionally they have to have some devilment about them, the ability to do things off-script, to upset the opposition players. McNulty seems very fixed on how things need to be, and thats not a bad thing, constancy of purpose is important but would it hurt to break the routine occasionally and hike them up Snowdon or take them camping in the Lake District for a couple of nights? Or even in the best KH tradition all go out for a night on the razzle in Manchester? Teams sometimes need a change of circumstances to enable them bond. Teams of late have been cobbled together at short notice and have nothing to bind them together except football, perhaps that is where the change needs to happen
Total Options? on 14:36 - Sep 4 with 3371 viewsjonahwhereru

There should be very few instances where plan A gets torn up and a manager goes to plan B, let alone reaching for plan C. A sending of in a game would by one, and going down by a goal very late in a game may be another.
Managers scout the opposition, then pick a side, from those available, they feel can best deal with their strengths and exploit their weakness. There has rarely been a game of football played where managers haven’t tweaked set ups several times in the course of a game. E.g the right back picks up an early booking and the opposition are trying to exploit it. That is football coaching. BJ referenced Halifax offering more space in behind they he was expecting, which required a tweak. Disappointing that he said they only tweaked it at half time mind.
I have stopped giving opinions about team selections and formations as I have have come to appreciate any backroom team knows far more than me. I have no chance of picking up all the tweaks in a game. Where as I can easily pick up the occasions where the plan has changed.
Total Options? on 17:47 - Sep 4 with 3158 viewsDale_4_Life

Big Jim seemed capable at the end of last season to change what was obviously not working.

Lets hope he finds a formula and quickly for that magical balance that is winning games playing entertaining football..... We know he loves the club so if this can be found we can all enjoy the remainder of a long season.
Total Options? on 09:35 - Sep 5 with 2819 viewsAtThePeake

Total Options? on 14:36 - Sep 4 by jonahwhereru

There should be very few instances where plan A gets torn up and a manager goes to plan B, let alone reaching for plan C. A sending of in a game would by one, and going down by a goal very late in a game may be another.
Managers scout the opposition, then pick a side, from those available, they feel can best deal with their strengths and exploit their weakness. There has rarely been a game of football played where managers haven’t tweaked set ups several times in the course of a game. E.g the right back picks up an early booking and the opposition are trying to exploit it. That is football coaching. BJ referenced Halifax offering more space in behind they he was expecting, which required a tweak. Disappointing that he said they only tweaked it at half time mind.
I have stopped giving opinions about team selections and formations as I have have come to appreciate any backroom team knows far more than me. I have no chance of picking up all the tweaks in a game. Where as I can easily pick up the occasions where the plan has changed.

That was one of the glaringly obvious mistakes for me on Saturday. Halifax's defensive line was far higher than any other team we've faced this season in the first half, even when they went ahead, but Mitchell was still trying to drop deeper than them and ask for the ball to feet. At times he was 30/40 yards from his own goal and completely crowded out or laying the ball off to midfielders who were left in enclosed spaces with no outlet. Changing that at half-time was too late as they were never going to continue allowing us that space in behind for the entire 90.

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024