Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Transfer window 08:05 - Sep 4 with 1201 viewsPatfromPoole

The esteemed editor of this parish advised last week that there was little point worrying about the transfer window until it had closed, indicating it was pointless to speculate about what might or might not happen.

Now that the window has closed, and we have suffered an absolute gubbing since its closure, can I worry about it now?

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Transfer window on 09:03 - Sep 4 with 1110 viewsButty101

I was surprised how bad Holgate was. He had a reasonable reputation. Hopefully it’s just one bad game and he is better than that. I thought Downes and smallbone offered no protection in front of them

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Transfer window on 09:14 - Sep 4 with 1096 viewsPatfromPoole

Transfer window on 09:03 - Sep 4 by Butty101

I was surprised how bad Holgate was. He had a reasonable reputation. Hopefully it’s just one bad game and he is better than that. I thought Downes and smallbone offered no protection in front of them

Charles needs to be brought in as a defensive midfielder alongside Downes.

My concern after Saturday’s gubbing is that Martin may revert to a 3-5-2 and may play Manning and KWP as the wide players, leaving us with 4 wingers (Edozie, Fraser, Sam Amo, Sulemana) all unable to get in the side.

Transfer window on 09:51 - Sep 4 with 1050 viewsA1079

Transfer window on 09:03 - Sep 4 by Butty101

Our midfield was conspicuous by their absence at Sunderland. Sunderland could do what they liked in midfield as there was no one to stop them.
Transfer window on 10:11 - Sep 4 with 1019 viewsSaintNick

Transfer window on 09:51 - Sep 4 by A1079

Our midfield was conspicuous by their absence at Sunderland. Sunderland could do what they liked in midfield as there was no one to stop them.

In the main Sunderland byepassed the midfield and hoofed it forward to chase, but that is not to stick up for the midfield it was too pedestrian

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Transfer window on 10:17 - Sep 4 with 1016 viewsButty101

Transfer window on 10:11 - Sep 4 by SaintNick

In the main Sunderland byepassed the midfield and hoofed it forward to chase, but that is not to stick up for the midfield it was too pedestrian

But that is the tactic of most teams in this league, so it’s hardly a surprise. The fact is we have a manger who can’t set teams up defensively. You often say if you keep doing the same things you get the same results. That sums up our mangers career.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Transfer window on 12:24 - Sep 4 with 947 viewsIfonly

I think overall the transfer window has been a success. It was inevitable we'd lose the big names so no surprise. Charles has shown already that he is a great addition. Downes and Fraser will be good at this level and my money is on THB and Stewart also coming good for us. Meanwhile we held on to the likes of Alcaraz, Che and KWP who are also quality at this level.

I've said on this blog before that Holgate is neither a CB or a full back. I'm not sure he can play as badly as he did on Saturday again, but I hope he is only used as a filler-in and mostly sits on the bench.

The issue for me is whether RM can make his style work. We got away with it for the first few games and got found out by an astute manager on Saturday.
Transfer window on 16:13 - Sep 4 with 819 viewsSonicBoom

I pretty much agree with Ifonly.

I thought the team looked dodgy on Saturday as soon as I saw it. Some very strange decisions. Holgate going straight in was one. Maybe it was a case of needs must but it seemed to be at the expense of Charles who has looked like one of our better players.
Smallbone went straight back in despite having a fairly significant injury.

Ifonly was right when he said we've played a few sides where we got away with it. We had the most possession against average sides and only won by the odd goal. This time we dominated possession and let in 5. I really don't care about possession stats or how many passes we make. It means literally nothing.
Maybe there are those that think if we have the ball the other team can't score, well that's not been working. We have the most possession in the league and have conceded the most goals. That is a pretty damning indictment of our system.
Transfer window on 00:01 - Sep 5 with 717 viewsSFC_Referee

Transfer window on 16:13 - Sep 4 by SonicBoom

I pretty much agree with Ifonly.

I thought the team looked dodgy on Saturday as soon as I saw it. Some very strange decisions. Holgate going straight in was one. Maybe it was a case of needs must but it seemed to be at the expense of Charles who has looked like one of our better players.
Smallbone went straight back in despite having a fairly significant injury.

Ifonly was right when he said we've played a few sides where we got away with it. We had the most possession against average sides and only won by the odd goal. This time we dominated possession and let in 5. I really don't care about possession stats or how many passes we make. It means literally nothing.
Maybe there are those that think if we have the ball the other team can't score, well that's not been working. We have the most possession in the league and have conceded the most goals. That is a pretty damning indictment of our system.

Didn’t exactly have much of a choice with Holgate though, as with Stephens out and that new City defender signing just like a day before KO, it was only Holgate that we had left. But hopefully Saturdays game will be a one off one for him anyway

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

Login to get fewer ads

Transfer window on 06:27 - Sep 5 with 668 viewsPatfromPoole

Transfer window on 00:01 - Sep 5 by SFC_Referee

Didn’t exactly have much of a choice with Holgate though, as with Stephens out and that new City defender signing just like a day before KO, it was only Holgate that we had left. But hopefully Saturdays game will be a one off one for him anyway

You are yet to see the glowing reviews from Everton fans, yes?

Transfer window on 09:48 - Sep 5 with 592 viewsSFC_Referee

Transfer window on 06:27 - Sep 5 by PatfromPoole

You are yet to see the glowing reviews from Everton fans, yes?

Well if he plays like that again, then probably, but hopefully now that city lads available he’ll be used as more of a rotationally player if Saturdays game wasn’t a one off

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

Transfer window on 10:27 - Sep 5 with 574 viewssledger

how does charles go from man of the match one week to gathering splinters the next and mara promoted to first eleven despite saints doing everything to get shot of him in the window,methinks weve got another berk in charge,hope im wrong
Transfer window on 10:36 - Sep 5 with 560 views1885_SFC

And now we're stuck with Tall Paul who's move back to Belgium is off. He's quoted as being "devastated".

Not as devastated as us mate!

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/09/05/southamptons-18m-man-devastated-as-saints-

Old School is Cool

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024