Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BEST ALBUM 22:03 - Sep 12 with 13392 viewsqpr_1968

May have been done before......plenty to choose from....

mine....

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

BEST ALBUM on 18:28 - Sep 13 with 1573 viewscharmr

New Gold dream is a great shout and didn’t expect to see it mentioned on here. The follow up sparkle in the rain has some corkers on it as well.

Aren’t good albums about every track being decent, Bowie Ziggy, Radiohead The bends, Genesis trick of the tail. Conceptual in a vinyl age.

As for Oasis, First album a real rock and roll belter, down hill from there.

Always intrigued me that bands brought out albums, toured with them, rinse repeat etc and the live set as it progressed would take the 1or 2 corkers from previous albums and add them to the set. New Order and the latest Cure tour for example. Hence end up playing with a great set list of great tunes. Learning the craft.
BEST ALBUM on 19:12 - Sep 13 with 1533 viewsFDC

I'm joking (a bit), but it's a CD that was unbelievably good considering it was free and also has the worst cover of any CD before or since. Anyone who was into all that at that time knows this mix. Also the first time I heard James Holden "Horizon" {misty eyed emoji}

BEST ALBUM on 20:07 - Sep 13 with 1502 viewsDevonwhitewhitewhite

Hmm. Dont even think Made In Japan is the best Deep Purple album! In Rock is the best then Machine Head. Oasis is an age thing for me they were always a second rate Slade. And Barboletta is probably 4th best Santana after Abraxas, 3 and the first LP. Stone Roses? I get it. But the best ROCK album since 1975 is Queens of the Stone Age Songs For the Deaf. Mark Lanergan on vocals, Dave Grohl on Drums, a lunatic on Bass and Josh Homme for once focussed and funny. Best LP of all time is obviously Love Forever Changes but maybe you had to be there/here
BEST ALBUM on 20:15 - Sep 13 with 1491 viewsMick_S

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

BEST ALBUM on 20:41 - Sep 13 with 1464 viewsFDC

BEST ALBUM on 20:07 - Sep 13 by Devonwhitewhitewhite

Hmm. Dont even think Made In Japan is the best Deep Purple album! In Rock is the best then Machine Head. Oasis is an age thing for me they were always a second rate Slade. And Barboletta is probably 4th best Santana after Abraxas, 3 and the first LP. Stone Roses? I get it. But the best ROCK album since 1975 is Queens of the Stone Age Songs For the Deaf. Mark Lanergan on vocals, Dave Grohl on Drums, a lunatic on Bass and Josh Homme for once focussed and funny. Best LP of all time is obviously Love Forever Changes but maybe you had to be there/here

I can get behind Forever Changes as a contender. "Maybe the people..." has been a mainstay in our house since me and my wife first met 20 years ago.
BEST ALBUM on 21:06 - Sep 13 with 1440 viewsqueensparker

In no particular order as albums I’ve listened to the most over the many years a random top ten

Stone Roses - Stone Roses
New Order - Technique
Jesus and Mary Chain - Barbed Wire Kisses
Neil Young - Weld
Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
Beatles - White Album (could pick any of them tbh)
De La Soul - 3 feet high and rising
Public Enemy - Takes a Nation of Millions
Super Furry Animals - Fuzzy Logic
James Browns Funky People
The Streets - A Grand don’t come for free

As time has gone on I’ve got into making mammoth playlists so it’s more of a snapshot of my 80/90s!

[Post edited 13 Sep 2023 21:07]
BEST ALBUM on 21:25 - Sep 13 with 1419 viewsPaddyhoops

BEST ALBUM on 12:54 - Sep 13 by robith

How did I forget The Holy Bible?????

Stone cold classic , Rob .
Dark and black as night . Brilliant.
They’ve never bettered it.
BEST ALBUM on 21:33 - Sep 13 with 1408 viewsHAYESBOY

BEST ALBUM on 20:15 - Sep 13 by Mick_S

So good.

Got to see them in the mid 80's at Hammersmith Odeon. Brilliant night.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Login to get fewer ads

BEST ALBUM on 21:43 - Sep 13 with 1392 viewshubble

Some superb suggestions in this thread, but if there was only one album I could have on my desert island, I guess it would have to be this..

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

BEST ALBUM on 22:16 - Sep 13 with 1348 viewsSK_hoops

BEST ALBUM on 02:26 - Sep 13 by SydneyRs

Stone Roses yes, but IMHO Definitely Maybe is easily the best Oasis album.

Honourable mention to Arctic Monkeys debut album which was also superb.

Lesser known but Star by Belly is a long standing personal favourite of mine.

So many others I could mention.

All absolute classics! Except that belly album, which I don't think I've ever heard bar maybe one or two songs. Will check it out.
BEST ALBUM on 22:19 - Sep 13 with 1347 viewsSK_hoops

BEST ALBUM on 11:40 - Sep 13 by robith

I could maaaaybe stretch to a top 10/20, though these aren't "best" but favourite - also I find dance/electronica/hip hop don't always lend themselves to the album format. So there's lots in those genres that are missed here

The National - Boxer
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
blur - Parklife
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
Killer Mike - R.A.P Music
The Hold Steady - Seperation Sunday
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Casiotone for the Paindully Alone - Etiquette

5 years ago Arcade Fire, Kanye and Brand New deffo would've been on that list but they've all turned out to be degrees of pricks that have actually ruined their music for me

If you got the best mogwai songs from the early EPs - happy songs for happy songs for happy people you'd have a contender for best album imo. But I think there are one too many songs that don't have 'classic' status from them.
BEST ALBUM on 22:28 - Sep 13 with 1326 viewsswitchingcode

Blonde on Blonde
BEST ALBUM on 22:31 - Sep 13 with 1324 viewsdanehoop

BEST ALBUM on 17:49 - Sep 13 by BexleyHoop

In no particular order:

Radiohead - The Bends
The Jam - Snap (although could swap with All Mod Cons; The Gift; Sound Effects and In the City)
The Specials - Live - Too much to Young
Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution
Paul Weller - Stanley Road
The Style Council - Introducing the Style Council
The Clash - London Calling

The Streets Sounds compilation albums bring back happy memories

However, ask me next week and my choices will no doubt change

Fantastic choices there, as well as from others on this thread as well. I'd really struggle to pick a single best album as it just changes depending on time and mood. I'd probably include something from the ones below:

Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching for the young soul rebels. Just a storming debut.

A-ha - MTV Unplugged Summer Solstice - Shows just how good these guys actually are live.

U2 - War - Band just finding it's identity prior to breaking it big

Radiohead - Pablo Honey so so different when released

Faithless - No Roots - Just brilliant infectious dance music

Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material - first heard this and was just blown away by it

Joy Division - Closer Haunting and grows everytime I hear it
[Post edited 13 Sep 2023 22:46]

Never knowingly understood

BEST ALBUM on 22:51 - Sep 13 with 1303 viewsCateLeBonR

Fleetwood Mac Greatest hits. The Peter Green one.

I think I chose this one last time too. Albatross, Man of the World, Black Magic Women, Dragonfly and all the rest.

It's hard to decide whether this was the greatest band at it's strongest or weakest point. I think strongest.
BEST ALBUM on 23:20 - Sep 13 with 1265 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’m very disappointed the OP never called this thread Hair Island Discs
BEST ALBUM on 00:48 - Sep 14 with 1214 viewsCroydonCaptJack

BEST ALBUM on 17:45 - Sep 13 by queensparker

Great shout, still listen to Chill Out all the time and it takes me back to a really happy time.

Got an original vinyl version and it's worth a pretty penny these days!

Worth a fortune mate. Great album. I have it on cassette. Remember those!!
BEST ALBUM on 00:53 - Sep 14 with 1213 viewsCroydonCaptJack

BEST ALBUM on 22:31 - Sep 13 by danehoop

Fantastic choices there, as well as from others on this thread as well. I'd really struggle to pick a single best album as it just changes depending on time and mood. I'd probably include something from the ones below:

Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching for the young soul rebels. Just a storming debut.

A-ha - MTV Unplugged Summer Solstice - Shows just how good these guys actually are live.

U2 - War - Band just finding it's identity prior to breaking it big

Radiohead - Pablo Honey so so different when released

Faithless - No Roots - Just brilliant infectious dance music

Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material - first heard this and was just blown away by it

Joy Division - Closer Haunting and grows everytime I hear it
[Post edited 13 Sep 2023 22:46]

Agree on Closer as previously mentioned but great shout with that brilliant debut album from SLF.
BEST ALBUM on 02:03 - Sep 14 with 1196 viewsSydneyRs

BEST ALBUM on 18:28 - Sep 13 by charmr

New Gold dream is a great shout and didn’t expect to see it mentioned on here. The follow up sparkle in the rain has some corkers on it as well.

Aren’t good albums about every track being decent, Bowie Ziggy, Radiohead The bends, Genesis trick of the tail. Conceptual in a vinyl age.

As for Oasis, First album a real rock and roll belter, down hill from there.

Always intrigued me that bands brought out albums, toured with them, rinse repeat etc and the live set as it progressed would take the 1or 2 corkers from previous albums and add them to the set. New Order and the latest Cure tour for example. Hence end up playing with a great set list of great tunes. Learning the craft.

On Oasis, was so looking forward to the second album at the time and, while I liked it, for me it never hit the heights of Definitely Maybe or even got close.

Unpopular opinion probably, but I think Wonderwall was the worst thing that ever happened to them (their bank accounts say different of course!) as the commercial success of it brought them into the mainstream and they then just started playing to the crowd in future releases.
BEST ALBUM on 02:39 - Sep 14 with 1192 viewsYorkshirehoop

X and y by Coldplay I listen to regular.
BEST ALBUM on 08:13 - Sep 14 with 1131 viewsSalisburyHoop1968

For me it can only be Quadrophenia. A true masterpiece of music, lyrics and story telling.
BEST ALBUM on 08:24 - Sep 14 with 1124 viewswestberksr

BEST ALBUM on 07:32 - Sep 13 by Monkey_Roots

I don’t think the perfect album exists… one where every single track is pure gold. There’s always a couple of tracks I tend to skip.

If I had a gun to my head the closest I could get would be:

Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Congos - Heart of the Congos
Nirvana - unplugged in New York
The best of Bill Withers - Lovely day
Innocence - Belief
Soul II Soul - Club Classics vol. 1
Notorious B.I.G - Ready to Die

The best album, for me, is the eclectic mess I put together myself for the car… but even then, after a period of time, there’s one you skip through.

4 of those would be on my shortlist with a special mention for Innocence; played that album to death and still love it
BEST ALBUM on 08:45 - Sep 14 with 1105 viewsSilverfoxqpr

BEST ALBUM on 20:07 - Sep 13 by Devonwhitewhitewhite

Blimey yeah how did I forget 'Songs For The Deaf', absolute classic, just brilliant. New one is pretty bl00dy good too by the way.
BEST ALBUM on 08:55 - Sep 14 with 1090 viewsQueeg

BEST ALBUM on 12:24 - Sep 13 by Silverfoxqpr

Impossible task really but here's 10 from the top of my head:

Cardiacs - Little Man and a House and The Whole World Window.
Manic Street Preachers - Holy Bible.
Killing Joke - Extremities, Dirt and Various Repressed Emotions.
AC/DC - If You Want Blood.
Leftfield - Leftism.
The Who - Quadrophenia.
The Bug - Fire.
Magazine - Real Life.
Arcade Fire - Funeral.
The National - Boxer.

RAWWWRRR , Leftfield - Leftism is mine.
BEST ALBUM on 09:23 - Sep 14 with 1053 viewsrobith

Me, seeing the constant mentions of The Bends, and none of OK, Kid A or In Rainbows
BEST ALBUM on 09:29 - Sep 14 with 1035 viewsSilverfoxqpr

BEST ALBUM on 09:23 - Sep 14 by robith

Me, seeing the constant mentions of The Bends, and none of OK, Kid A or In Rainbows

In Rainbows is mine (as in fave) Rob.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024