Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pre Match Pubs For Home Games 20:34 - Nov 7 with 4572 viewsSaintNick

So what's everyone's recommendation for home games these days with pubs, which one has the best atmosphere and best value

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 20:43 - Nov 7 with 3673 viewsWints76

I quite like the German place. And Oasis in the warmer months is good.

Cricketers and Shenanigans are ok if there aren't many people about.

Bedfords if arsed about the lunchtime game

That roof terrace at the bar in Bedford Place was decent in the good weather.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2023 20:48]
Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 20:46 - Nov 7 with 3670 viewsPatfromPoole

1. Five Rivers
2. Bedford
3. The German place (Steingarten)

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 20:55 - Nov 7 with 3642 viewsWints76

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 20:46 - Nov 7 by PatfromPoole

1. Five Rivers
2. Bedford

Bedfords has lost points recently by booking most of the pub out to reserved seating. Not a fan of that. Like the pub though.

Only times I have been to 5 Rivers have been miserable Sunday games. I'm sure it's fine but it's just not convenient for me
Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 21:10 - Nov 7 with 3624 viewsSaintNick

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 20:55 - Nov 7 by Wints76

Bedfords has lost points recently by booking most of the pub out to reserved seating. Not a fan of that. Like the pub though.

Only times I have been to 5 Rivers have been miserable Sunday games. I'm sure it's fine but it's just not convenient for me

The bedford for me is too full of soccer am type fans, its expensive and they stand there waiting for the entire round to be ordered and get you to pay for it before they start pouring, that causes hold ups

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 21:21 - Nov 7 with 3591 viewsWints76

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 21:10 - Nov 7 by SaintNick

The bedford for me is too full of soccer am type fans, its expensive and they stand there waiting for the entire round to be ordered and get you to pay for it before they start pouring, that causes hold ups

I've never picked up on the more 'zany' fans in there. Thought that was more ONeills and Scholars perhaps. However, Ive just remembered that one time recently there was a queue at the bar as if people were queueing in a shop. That's not on (but not the pubs fault)
Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 21:30 - Nov 7 with 3574 viewssaintwizzler

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 20:46 - Nov 7 by PatfromPoole

1. Five Rivers
2. Bedford

1. Bedfords - The Heineken is poured correctly in Heineken glasses taken from the fridge.
2. Five Rivers - Plenty of screens for the football with a wide variety of drinks choice.
3. Stein Garten - No reason, just like it.
4. Northam Social Club - Location. If it’s belting down to have a drink or two after the game then book a cab to the station when the crowds have dispersed.
5. Oasis Bar - Nice in the sun sat out the front.

Not particularly worried about value.
If I was I’d drink in a WänkySpoons or a four pack in the park or indeed not bother drinking at all.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 22:08 - Nov 7 with 3527 viewsSaintNick

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 21:30 - Nov 7 by saintwizzler

1. Bedfords - The Heineken is poured correctly in Heineken glasses taken from the fridge.
2. Five Rivers - Plenty of screens for the football with a wide variety of drinks choice.
3. Stein Garten - No reason, just like it.
4. Northam Social Club - Location. If it’s belting down to have a drink or two after the game then book a cab to the station when the crowds have dispersed.
5. Oasis Bar - Nice in the sun sat out the front.

Not particularly worried about value.
If I was I’d drink in a WänkySpoons or a four pack in the park or indeed not bother drinking at all.

Good points, but perhaps value is a bad word, i am not worried about value, but I dont like going to pubs that take the piss on prices as they did in London on Saturday and indeed in Winchester on the way home lol

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 07:37 - Nov 8 with 3384 viewsarfurdent

Breakfast in O'Neills and then a wander up to The Lion in Bedford Place which matches Wetherspoons prices and actually cleans the tables

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Login to get fewer ads

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 08:24 - Nov 8 with 3355 viewsPatfromPoole

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 07:37 - Nov 8 by arfurdent

Breakfast in O'Neills and then a wander up to The Lion in Bedford Place which matches Wetherspoons prices and actually cleans the tables

I have not yet been in The Lion, but have heard decent things about it.

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 08:37 - Nov 8 with 3348 viewsWints76

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 22:08 - Nov 7 by SaintNick

Good points, but perhaps value is a bad word, i am not worried about value, but I dont like going to pubs that take the piss on prices as they did in London on Saturday and indeed in Winchester on the way home lol

Guessing you went to the Mucky Duck in Winch? Very expensive there. But apart from the Gaolhouse and Bakers, most pubs in Winch are.

Southampton isn't so bad in comparison.
Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 09:32 - Nov 8 with 3294 viewsSaintNick

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 08:37 - Nov 8 by Wints76

Guessing you went to the Mucky Duck in Winch? Very expensive there. But apart from the Gaolhouse and Bakers, most pubs in Winch are.

Yes we did and the firework display had just ended so it was packed, usually it is empty

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 10:01 - Nov 8 with 3274 viewsBuggalugs

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 08:37 - Nov 8 by Wints76

Is Bakers still a thing? Used to have a few school mates from Winch back in the day and remember hanging around the garden there from the age of about 14.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 10:14 - Nov 8 with 3256 viewsfranniesTache

1. Guide Dog, probably my favourite pub in the city and definitely some of the best beer
2. The Wellies, nice to have a bit of a change of scene sometimes even if the upstairs is a new build
3. The Wagon, handy for the trains and a decent mix of old and new saints
Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 12:39 - Nov 8 with 3177 viewsMytchettSaint

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 10:14 - Nov 8 by franniesTache

1. Guide Dog, probably my favourite pub in the city and definitely some of the best beer
2. The Wellies, nice to have a bit of a change of scene sometimes even if the upstairs is a new build
3. The Wagon, handy for the trains and a decent mix of old and new saints

Haven’t been to the guide dog for years. Decent though.

Usually finish in the wagon now. I spotted Nick in there after the Rotherham game and was going to introduce myself but then someone came in I’d not seen in years and I got side tracked.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 13:18 - Nov 8 with 3148 viewsCapt_Koons

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 12:39 - Nov 8 by MytchettSaint

Haven’t been to the guide dog for years. Decent though.

Usually finish in the wagon now. I spotted Nick in there after the Rotherham game and was going to introduce myself but then someone came in I’d not seen in years and I got side tracked.

Recently we've been doing the South Western, followed by the Junction (now re-opened) with a swifty in the Price of Wales.

Poll: If our new manager is a success, which club will he be managing in 2 years time?

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 13:32 - Nov 8 with 3135 viewsfranniesTache

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 13:18 - Nov 8 by Capt_Koons

Recently we've been doing the South Western, followed by the Junction (now re-opened) with a swifty in the Price of Wales.

South Western, Junction and Dolphin were a great trio of pubs when i lived in St Denys, good to hear at least two of them are still going, i know the Dolphin shut for a bit as the landlord did something dodgy
Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 23:14 - Nov 8 with 2943 views1teeminants

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 08:24 - Nov 8 by PatfromPoole

I have not yet been in The Lion, but have heard decent things about it.

I go the Lion and Wagon now after a few years of going to the Rivers. I used to see u in there now and again . Lion is ok but I prefer The Wagon, you just get a feel for a place don’t you and it’s always been a saints stronghold which I used to frequent many years back .I usually end up in there after the game and it’s handy for trains .
[Post edited 8 Nov 2023 23:19]

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 23:38 - Nov 8 with 2912 viewsPatfromPoole

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 23:14 - Nov 8 by 1teeminants

I go the Lion and Wagon now after a few years of going to the Rivers. I used to see u in there now and again . Lion is ok but I prefer The Wagon, you just get a feel for a place don’t you and it’s always been a saints stronghold which I used to frequent many years back .I usually end up in there after the game and it’s handy for trains .
[Post edited 8 Nov 2023 23:19]

The last time I went to try and get in The Wagon was after the Norwich 4-4 draw and it was a bit rammed, so we went to Belgium and Blues instead.

Belgium and Blues is another very decent bar, which almost made my top 3…..

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 08:33 - Nov 9 with 2793 views1teeminants

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 23:38 - Nov 8 by PatfromPoole

The last time I went to try and get in The Wagon was after the Norwich 4-4 draw and it was a bit rammed, so we went to Belgium and Blues instead.

Belgium and Blues is another very decent bar, which almost made my top 3…..

Yes mate agree that is also a good pub 👍🍺

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 08:35 - Nov 9 with 2787 viewssaintwizzler

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 21:10 - Nov 7 by SaintNick

Bedford price list from their app.

Pints

Amstel £4.45
Carling £4.25
Heineken £5.05
San Miguel £5.05
Brew Dog Planet Pale £4
Inch’s Cider £5.10
Guinness £4.55
Tap water is free
Other drinks are available…

They have just reintroduced their loyalty app which gives you a free drink on registration then ‘points’ for monies off.

Northam Social Club look set to follow…

*WE SOCCER AM IT ON*
[Post edited 9 Nov 2023 8:39]

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 10:52 - Nov 9 with 2726 viewsSaintNick

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 08:35 - Nov 9 by saintwizzler

Bedford price list from their app.

Pints

Amstel £4.45
Carling £4.25
Heineken £5.05
San Miguel £5.05
Brew Dog Planet Pale £4
Inch’s Cider £5.10
Guinness £4.55
Tap water is free
Other drinks are available…

They have just reintroduced their loyalty app which gives you a free drink on registration then ‘points’ for monies off.

Northam Social Club look set to follow…

*WE SOCCER AM IT ON*
[Post edited 9 Nov 2023 8:39]

Have they dropped their prices then, last time i bought a pint of Heineken in there it was £5,50

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 11:17 - Nov 9 with 2710 viewssaintwizzler

Not a clue.
That’s what it says on their app.

As I said before it’s always a good pint in there, served in the correct chilled glass.
I’d expect to pay a minimum of £5.50 in the south for a Heineken, Peroni, San Miguel.

But if I have to worry about a couple of quid on a pint price it’s time to knock the pubs on the head.
If it’s something I did every day then maybe I would look elsewhere but it’s once a fortnight at home games so I’d rather pay the money and have a product that’s tip top.
If the standard drops I’ll go elsewhere, as I did with Shenanigans up the road.

There’s people still paying £5.90 for that dishwater Kingsfisher in St Mary’s, even missing some of the match to rush to the bar!

WE MARCH ON

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 09:58 - Nov 10 with 2460 viewsSaintNick

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 11:17 - Nov 9 by saintwizzler

Not a clue.
That’s what it says on their app.

As I said before it’s always a good pint in there, served in the correct chilled glass.
I’d expect to pay a minimum of £5.50 in the south for a Heineken, Peroni, San Miguel.

But if I have to worry about a couple of quid on a pint price it’s time to knock the pubs on the head.
If it’s something I did every day then maybe I would look elsewhere but it’s once a fortnight at home games so I’d rather pay the money and have a product that’s tip top.
If the standard drops I’ll go elsewhere, as I did with Shenanigans up the road.

There’s people still paying £5.90 for that dishwater Kingsfisher in St Mary’s, even missing some of the match to rush to the bar!

WE MARCH ON

As I said its not about the price it is the pub I look at, if it was just price I could go in wetherspoons.

in the late 1980's early 1990's the Bedford was one of our main haunts not just for football at the Dell, but on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, we were such good customers that the then landlord sponosred our Sunday morning side and when Whitbreads as it was then sponsored a game at the dell we were guests in the hospitality lounge.

Perhaps that is why im not so keen on it now, for our little crew it's sad to see it as a shadow of its former self, its a chain pub where you can book a table to watch Spurs with your replica shirt on, on a matchday it gets a few Saints fans in, other than that it is student central.

We used to go in there about 7 years ago and it was a lot better, but stopped because it was just too crowded.

But perhaps the biggest gripe is that they wont start pouring drinks till you have paid, what is that all about, you don't get time to choose whilst one of your mates drinks is being poured, whats is that all about dont they trust their customers ?

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 10:22 - Nov 10 with 2448 viewsBenali_Saint

For me its

Stein Garten
Shenanigans
Kingsland Tavern
Firehouse
Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 10:23 - Nov 10 with 2444 viewssaintwizzler

Pre Match Pubs For Home Games on 09:58 - Nov 10 by SaintNick

As I said its not about the price it is the pub I look at, if it was just price I could go in wetherspoons.

in the late 1980's early 1990's the Bedford was one of our main haunts not just for football at the Dell, but on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, we were such good customers that the then landlord sponosred our Sunday morning side and when Whitbreads as it was then sponsored a game at the dell we were guests in the hospitality lounge.

Perhaps that is why im not so keen on it now, for our little crew it's sad to see it as a shadow of its former self, its a chain pub where you can book a table to watch Spurs with your replica shirt on, on a matchday it gets a few Saints fans in, other than that it is student central.

We used to go in there about 7 years ago and it was a lot better, but stopped because it was just too crowded.

But perhaps the biggest gripe is that they wont start pouring drinks till you have paid, what is that all about, you don't get time to choose whilst one of your mates drinks is being poured, whats is that all about dont they trust their customers ?

Wow!

I really don’t know what to say after that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024