Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chicago 22:11 - Nov 30 with 1845 viewsSaintNick

Just watching Billy Connolly's Route 66 again, he is starting in Chicago, who has been there one of my favourite cities

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Chicago on 22:19 - Nov 30 with 1834 viewsBuggalugs

I have, although I was only about 12 at the time. All I remember was how windy it was, going up the Sears tower and how many homeless there were knocking about.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Chicago on 12:19 - Dec 1 with 1706 viewsBerber

I worked a total of 14 years for two US multinationals with HQs in or very near to Chicago, so have been there many times. The hot, sticky air in the summer, offset by the chill once on the lake, the deep snow, inch thick ice on the roads and pavements. The city has real character, with excellent bars and restaurants, and once, whilst looking for a photography shop, wandered into parts where I stood out distinctly. A kind old gent politely advised me to move along and walked with me until he considered me to be in a “safe” place. I sometimes still hanker after barley fed rib of beef for breakfast, and ice cold beers.

I had to spend 3 weeks there during the World Series baseball, Blue jays vs White Sox, and followed the White Sox fortunes for quite a few years.

I always had to buy a large travel case to return home due the family and friends orders for Levi jeans. I spent a fortune, but saved another one.
Chicago on 13:14 - Dec 1 with 1685 viewsfranniesTache

Went to Chicago for work, my main takeaway was it's bloody cold.

Decent city for US standards I guess but i'm not really a fan of the US in general so it's not somewhere i'd rush to go back to.
Chicago on 13:52 - Dec 1 with 1651 viewskingslandstand1

Chicago on 22:19 - Nov 30 by Buggalugs

I have, although I was only about 12 at the time. All I remember was how windy it was, going up the Sears tower and how many homeless there were knocking about.

Hence called the "windy city"!

Isn't it there where the river that goes through the city goes green for some "celebratory" reason? Or have I got that totally wrong ..............
Chicago on 14:06 - Dec 1 with 1635 viewsfranniesTache

Chicago on 13:52 - Dec 1 by kingslandstand1

Isn't it there where the river that goes through the city goes green for some "celebratory" reason? Or have I got that totally wrong ..............

that's boston, where all of the americans pretend to be irish
Chicago on 15:23 - Dec 1 with 1620 viewssaints__fan__73

Lived in the US for a year in the 90s and had a g/f from Chicago and spent many a w/e at her parent's place in Schiller Park nr O'Hare airport. Always thought it a great city.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2023 15:31]

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Chicago on 17:14 - Dec 1 with 1563 viewsSaintNick

Chicago on 13:52 - Dec 1 by kingslandstand1

Although it is windy due to the skyscrapers and the winds from the lake, I think the name is due to it used to have a lot of politicians back at the turn of the 19th/20th century who were windbags and thats where the nickname came from.

There is a big irish influence and they do dye the river green on St Patricks day

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Chicago on 17:46 - Dec 1 with 1540 viewsNYC_Saint

I've never been, although I'm told the food scene is terrific.

Unfortunately, it appears that outside of the immediate downtown/Mich Ave area it has become dangerous and not very tourist friendly. A lot of US cities are struggling to recover to where they were pre-Covid and aren't great places to visit at the moment sadly. Especially on the west coast.
Login to get fewer ads

Chicago on 18:10 - Dec 1 with 1526 viewsWinchesterExile

Chicago (the windy city) is twinned with Southampton (blowey town).
Chicago on 18:45 - Dec 1 with 1509 views1885_SFC

Chicago on 17:14 - Dec 1 by SaintNick

Although it is windy due to the skyscrapers and the winds from the lake, I think the name is due to it used to have a lot of politicians back at the turn of the 19th/20th century who were windbags and thats where the nickname came from.

There is a big irish influence and they do dye the river green on St Patricks day

My aircraft carrier spent St. Patrick's day alongside in Philadelphia back in 1980. Before arrival, we were warned to stay away from 'Irish Town' downtown because of the (then) troubles back home. Of course loads of us ventured there one night, including several of us along with my mate 'Paddy' (obviously) from Belfast, and sure enough, there was trouble everywhere. All the bars dyed the beer green, their hair green, Irish tricolour flags everywhere, etc. Happy days... the punch-ups apart.

Old School is Cool

Chicago on 19:17 - Dec 1 with 1475 viewsmushinexile

Chicago on 18:10 - Dec 1 by WinchesterExile

Chicago (the windy city) is twinned with Southampton (blowey town).

Is that anything to do with Derby Road?
Chicago on 20:12 - Dec 1 with 1448 viewsWinchesterExile

Chicago on 19:17 - Dec 1 by mushinexile

Is that anything to do with Derby Road?

😂😂😂
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024