Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Update of our Ex players. 17:38 - Dec 30 with 2005 viewsGRIM

We obviously knew something when we shipped out these players.
Lavia only played about 40 mins for Chelsea & he is now out injured again & we got approx 35m for him.
Bella Kotchap has only managed 3 games out on loan.
Salisu has not played any games out on loan.
Diallo has only played 3 games out on loan.
Hope we're not paying too much of their wages & what hope have we got of selling them if they're not getting game time whilst out on loan.
Not sure we want any of them back if (when) we get back in Premier lge.
Update of our Ex players. on 20:30 - Dec 30 with 1812 viewsSaintandy66

Salisu and Diallo are not on loan both were sold I believe.
Update of our Ex players. on 22:19 - Dec 30 with 1733 viewsGRIM

Update of our Ex players. on 20:30 - Dec 30 by Saintandy66

Salisu and Diallo are not on loan both were sold I believe.

I stand corrected, you're right we sold both Salisu & Diallo, I reckon that was good business.
I forget about Nathan Tella, we sold him & he's only managed 6 games.
To date the combined number of games that all of those players have managed at their new clubs is a dozen.
We've not missed any of them.
Update of our Ex players. on 22:29 - Dec 30 with 1719 viewsNYC_Saint

Maybe ABK will have been humbled from his "too good for this" attitude and might be useful if we go up? Salisu seemed to have a lot of potential but putting it all together never seemed to happen for us and if he's not playing now clearly coaching him is a real challenge
Update of our Ex players. on 10:03 - Dec 31 with 1508 viewsGRIM

Update of our Ex players. on 22:29 - Dec 30 by NYC_Saint

Maybe ABK will have been humbled from his "too good for this" attitude and might be useful if we go up? Salisu seemed to have a lot of potential but putting it all together never seemed to happen for us and if he's not playing now clearly coaching him is a real challenge

There's no way ABK would adapt & fit into RM's playing out from the back style of play. (assuming RM is still here next season).
ABK is a monster but not tactically very astute plus for a big fella he's very soft & theatrical.
Update of our Ex players. on 10:17 - Dec 31 with 1496 views1ASIN12

Players like Salisu and Bella Kotchap are the reason we went down.

Salisu joined then didn’t appear for months then went missing again as soon as he realised the going was going to get tough as we were going down .

Similar to Bella Kotchap , seemed to want to go of injured most weeks as again it was getting tough . Didn’t stop either picking up their high wages .

Both thought playing in the championship was beneath them .

Fvcking melts the pair of them .
[Post edited 31 Dec 2023 11:11]
Update of our Ex players. on 12:30 - Dec 31 with 1414 viewsBerber

The whole notion of clubs doing their homework about players seems to have gone out of the window. I think most scouts only follow the prospects that the stats from FM and the like throw up. Whether players have the grit and determination required doesn’t seem to get considered. Man U have bought a load of flakey Prima Donnas in the past few seasons, whilst we seem to have bought in too many 70% ers.

This is the kind of thing that happens when new owners ( and the Yanks are the absolute worst) think that their skills set can be applied to any business.
Update of our Ex players. on 15:38 - Dec 31 with 1321 viewsGRIM

Update of our Ex players. on 12:30 - Dec 31 by Berber

The whole notion of clubs doing their homework about players seems to have gone out of the window. I think most scouts only follow the prospects that the stats from FM and the like throw up. Whether players have the grit and determination required doesn’t seem to get considered. Man U have bought a load of flakey Prima Donnas in the past few seasons, whilst we seem to have bought in too many 70% ers.

This is the kind of thing that happens when new owners ( and the Yanks are the absolute worst) think that their skills set can be applied to any business.

You've hit the nail right on the head.
Most clubs including Saints create a short list of players based on information / stats straight from a computer.
I'm convinced that they often sign players blind, without have seen them play or spoken to them personally.
I agree totally with you that before signing new players they should be assessed closely, checking temperament, fitness record etc. ( did we not do this with Ross Stewart).
There are far too many players being signed based on stats direct from computer & biased advice from players agents.
Update of our Ex players. on 16:08 - Dec 31 with 1287 viewsRon11

Update of our Ex players. on 15:38 - Dec 31 by GRIM

Most clubs including Saints create a short list of players based on information / stats straight from a computer.
I'm convinced that they often sign players blind, without have seen them play or spoken to them personally.
I agree totally with you that before signing new players they should be assessed closely, checking temperament, fitness record etc. ( did we not do this with Ross Stewart).
There are far too many players being signed based on stats direct from computer & biased advice from players agents.

What's happened to scouts then....
Have they all but disappeared?
Login to get fewer ads

Update of our Ex players. on 16:15 - Dec 31 with 1279 viewsLondonSaint76

Update of our Ex players. on 15:38 - Dec 31 by GRIM

Isn’t there a quote that goes something like: There’s lies, damned lies, and statistics?
Stats alone can be more misleading than the YouTube videos that always make the strikers you are linked with look great…

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Update of our Ex players. on 16:33 - Dec 31 with 1265 viewsGRIM

Update of our Ex players. on 16:08 - Dec 31 by Ron11

What's happened to scouts then....
Have they all but disappeared?

Those highly paid scouts are probably doing the same as the rest of the world by working from home behind a computer screen.
Computers only provide data & all you get from computers is rubbish in rubbish out.
There no better way to assess a players attitude / temperament / ability than watching them in the flesh.
Most clubs are signing players without having seen them play or spoken to them personally, it's all done via players biased agents who only have one priority & that is making money.
In what other occupation would you deal with an agent to appoint a person.
Update of our Ex players. on 16:51 - Dec 31 with 1251 viewsSaintNick

Update of our Ex players. on 12:30 - Dec 31 by Berber

Saints like all clubs of our level have an extensive scouting network, they combine that with the computer data etc when they assess players.

They assess them over a period of time and watch them closely

The problem is with the likes of Salisu & ABK, they were playing in Leagues below the standard of the Premier League and young lads who were keeping their heads down, when they got hear they found it a different story.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Update of our Ex players. on 17:21 - Dec 31 with 1223 viewsgrumpy

Update of our Ex players. on 16:51 - Dec 31 by SaintNick

Saints like all clubs of our level have an extensive scouting network, they combine that with the computer data etc when they assess players.

They assess them over a period of time and watch them closely

The problem is with the likes of Salisu & ABK, they were playing in Leagues below the standard of the Premier League and young lads who were keeping their heads down, when they got hear they found it a different story.

Bella Kotchap was playing in the Bundesliga before joining Saints, I wouldn't have said that league was below the Premier League .He was picked or the German National side in September 2022.

The problem last season wasn't so much the players as the Managers.
Update of our Ex players. on 17:27 - Dec 31 with 1216 viewsGRIM

Update of our Ex players. on 17:21 - Dec 31 by grumpy

Bella Kotchap was playing in the Bundesliga before joining Saints, I wouldn't have said that league was below the Premier League .He was picked or the German National side in September 2022.

You're quite Grumps the main problem was our inadequate managers last season but I also think we had a lot of players that were not committed in the club, they just saw it as an opportunity to play in Premier Lge.
Update of our Ex players. on 17:38 - Dec 31 with 1204 viewsgrumpy

Update of our Ex players. on 17:27 - Dec 31 by GRIM

You're quite Grumps the main problem was our inadequate managers last season but I also think we had a lot of players that were not committed in the club, they just saw it as an opportunity to play in Premier Lge.

I agree Grim but its the Managers job to sort that nonsense out.
Update of our Ex players. on 18:16 - Dec 31 with 1167 viewsSaintNick

Update of our Ex players. on 17:21 - Dec 31 by grumpy

Take out Bayern Munich and to a lesser degree Dortmund and the rest of the Bundesliga isn't all that, its also less well paid, perhaps it is the money for some of these players, once they have a long contract on good money they lose some of the desire

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Update of our Ex players. on 18:32 - Dec 31 with 1132 viewsgrumpy

Update of our Ex players. on 18:16 - Dec 31 by SaintNick

Take out Bayern Munich and to a lesser degree Dortmund and the rest of the Bundesliga isn't all that, its also less well paid, perhaps it is the money for some of these players, once they have a long contract on good money they lose some of the desire

Leverkusen,Stuttgart,RB Leizig,E. Frankfurt are good sides.
Bundesliga is a strong league.
Update of our Ex players. on 19:18 - Dec 31 with 1085 viewshedgeend61

Update of our Ex players. on 22:19 - Dec 30 by GRIM

I stand corrected, you're right we sold both Salisu & Diallo, I reckon that was good business.
I forget about Nathan Tella, we sold him & he's only managed 6 games.
To date the combined number of games that all of those players have managed at their new clubs is a dozen.
We've not missed any of them.

Plenty more we haven't missed,

Mohammed Salisu (£12.9m, Monaco)
Mohamed Elyounoussi (released)
Theo Walcott (retired)
Caleb Watts (released)
Dan N'Lundulu (undisclosed, Bolton Wanderers)
Nico Lawrence (loan, Colchester United)
Kegs Chauke (free, Burton Albion)
Mislav Orsic (undisclosed, Trabzonspor)
Mateusz Lis (loan, Goztepe SK)
Ibrahima Diallo (undisclosed, Al-Duhail)
Matthew Hall (free, Bristol Rovers)
Duje Caleta-Car (loan, Lyon)
Tino Livramento (£32m, Newcastle United)
James Ward-Prowse (£30m, West Ham United)
Romeo Lavia (£58m, Chelsea)
Nathan Tella (undisclosed, Bayer Leverkusen)
Romain Perraud (loan, Nice)
Lyanco (loan, Al Gharafa)
Kazeem Olaigbe (undisclosed, Cercle Bruges)
Ryan Finnigan (loan, Shrewsbury Town)
Dom Ballard (loan, Reading)
Moussa Djenepo (£3m, Standard Liege)
Paul Onuachu (undisclosed, Trabzonspor)
Armel Bella-Kotchap (loan, PSV Eindhoven)
Southampton total received to date: £105.9m

So out of these 24, 3 are PL level standard (and Tino didn't play 22-23), and only JWP gets a game every week, most of the above competition winners we couldn't even give away, most hardly feature in lesser leagues.

If a novice like me can see they're useless watching them play live, wtf are our paid scouts watching?

Not many teams can spend 150m and make the team worse, apart from Chelsea.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024