Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HMRC 09:56 - Mar 20 with 901 viewsmajorraglan

Just how on earth can the government sign this off? It’s a blatant example of another one of our public services going further down the tubes ! Having been criticised for the massive delays in answering the phone or my even answering the phone in many cases the HMRC have taken action and decided to close their telephones for 6 months of the year - it’s absolutely scandalous. At a time when more and more people are going to be caught up in the tax system - especially pensioners who are less likely to have on line skills they’re reducing accessibility. Outrageous.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/19/hmrc-to-close-its-self-assessme

HMRC on 10:42 - Mar 20 with 865 viewsWingstandwood

Staggering!

Argus!

HMRC on 11:15 - Mar 20 with 835 viewscontroversial_jack

I have to self certify my tax every year and it's a nightmare doing it online. If I phone them they seem to give ambiguous advice, but at least you could talk to someone. This will be a nightmare.They are the most incompetent dept of all
HMRC on 11:20 - Mar 20 with 839 viewsWingstandwood

HMRC on 11:15 - Mar 20 by controversial_jack

I have to self certify my tax every year and it's a nightmare doing it online. If I phone them they seem to give ambiguous advice, but at least you could talk to someone. This will be a nightmare.They are the most incompetent dept of all

It has got to the stage where pensioners for example will have to employ the services of an accountant to help do the self assessment and fill in their tax return(s).

"When everything used to work"....Those were the days hey! Used to be the "in thing" in the ninety sixties apparently!

Argus!

HMRC on 11:38 - Mar 20 with 832 viewsJumpingJackFlash

More penalties for late submission will be the result of this. It makes you wonder whether it’s deliberate. They have the cheek to say that they’ve cut taxes when the tax take continues to rise.

Ad they wonder why they continue to lag behind in the polls.
HMRC on 11:46 - Mar 20 with 817 viewscontroversial_jack

HMRC on 11:38 - Mar 20 by JumpingJackFlash

More penalties for late submission will be the result of this. It makes you wonder whether it’s deliberate. They have the cheek to say that they’ve cut taxes when the tax take continues to rise.

Ad they wonder why they continue to lag behind in the polls.

This would be down to the civil servants and management. As much as i dislike this govt, I don't believe this is down to them
HMRC on 11:54 - Mar 20 with 819 viewsDr_Winston

There is a significant amount of HMRC work being transferred over to another Government department at present. I wonder if those staff will be redeployed within HMRC.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

HMRC on 17:04 - Mar 20 with 727 viewsReslovenSwan1

I had a tax problem last year and regarded the telephone as a waste of time. 45m ins on hold every time without sucess told me that. I sent a couple of letters with all the details and left it at that.

I got phone call after 6 month telling me all was sorted. They quote the date of my letter to prove I was not talking to hackers or frauds. They actually cold call you and ask for your details so you need to know who is ringing you.

"I asked how do I know you are HRMC" and she referenced the date of my letter. You could put your own reference as well for example your initials and date.

Wise sage since Toshack era

HMRC on 19:45 - Mar 20 with 684 viewsPawelAbbott

They have reversed the decision now.
It's the second time this month that they have announced something and then reverted it when sane people became involved.
It's in severe need of a complete overhaul
Login to get fewer ads

HMRC on 20:02 - Mar 20 with 672 viewsAnotherJohn

Just been hit by a £100 fine for late payment myself. What caught me out was that I was still receiving tax communications via post, but HMRC also started using the online account for certain other messages, even though I had no recollection of asking to go paperless. The background is that HMRC allowed me to come off self assessment in 2021 and I thought all was okay with PAYE, especially as I had received a letter towards the end of last year adjusting my tax code. I then received a letter saying HMRC wished me to go back on self assessment, mainly I think because I had made some drawdowns from a SIPP starting in the 2023-4 tax year (leading me to assume that SA would restart in that tax year). However, last month I got an email saying there was a communication waiting for me in my online tax account, and foolishly did not open this straight away thinking it just duplicated the paper messages (also didn't have the password immediately to hand). Then early this month I visited the online site and found a message saying HMRC wanted me to complete a self-assessment for 2022-23, and a 2nd message fining me £100 as I had missed the Jan 31st deadline to do that. I had already paid the near correct amount of 2022-23 tax via PAYE (I later found out bar £2.20) and was way under the £100K limit for self-assessment. so HMRC's main gain came from the fine. What they did seemed almost like a deliberate attempt to catch me out. I have appealed the fine, but am not hopeful of success. Adding insult to injury I received a written SA statement yesterday, saying I owed £2.20. When I visited the online site I discovered that I would have incurred another penalty had I not paid this by March 31st. So had that last letter been late I would have been hit yet again, and that only a week after I last visited the online site, when all seemed in order. Be warned and don't assume that all important messages will be sent by post.
[Post edited 20 Mar 20:08]
HMRC on 10:21 - Mar 21 with 577 viewscontroversial_jack

HMRC on 20:02 - Mar 20 by AnotherJohn

Just been hit by a £100 fine for late payment myself. What caught me out was that I was still receiving tax communications via post, but HMRC also started using the online account for certain other messages, even though I had no recollection of asking to go paperless. The background is that HMRC allowed me to come off self assessment in 2021 and I thought all was okay with PAYE, especially as I had received a letter towards the end of last year adjusting my tax code. I then received a letter saying HMRC wished me to go back on self assessment, mainly I think because I had made some drawdowns from a SIPP starting in the 2023-4 tax year (leading me to assume that SA would restart in that tax year). However, last month I got an email saying there was a communication waiting for me in my online tax account, and foolishly did not open this straight away thinking it just duplicated the paper messages (also didn't have the password immediately to hand). Then early this month I visited the online site and found a message saying HMRC wanted me to complete a self-assessment for 2022-23, and a 2nd message fining me £100 as I had missed the Jan 31st deadline to do that. I had already paid the near correct amount of 2022-23 tax via PAYE (I later found out bar £2.20) and was way under the £100K limit for self-assessment. so HMRC's main gain came from the fine. What they did seemed almost like a deliberate attempt to catch me out. I have appealed the fine, but am not hopeful of success. Adding insult to injury I received a written SA statement yesterday, saying I owed £2.20. When I visited the online site I discovered that I would have incurred another penalty had I not paid this by March 31st. So had that last letter been late I would have been hit yet again, and that only a week after I last visited the online site, when all seemed in order. Be warned and don't assume that all important messages will be sent by post.
[Post edited 20 Mar 20:08]

The online service is terrible, they don't update your account. They basically don't know what they are doing.
HMRC on 10:52 - Mar 21 with 574 viewsunion_jack

HMRC on 10:21 - Mar 21 by controversial_jack

The online service is terrible, they don't update your account. They basically don't know what they are doing.

As long as they don’t know what I’m doing is all that concerns me😂😂

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

HMRC on 13:25 - Mar 21 with 538 viewsBoundy

HMRC on 10:52 - Mar 21 by union_jack

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

HMRC on 17:22 - Mar 21 with 487 viewsWingstandwood

I thought the same until I had to pay a lot of tax a short while back.

They seem to be utterly cr@p at providing anything above E- for customer experience and service, but are absolute d0gs b0llackaz efficient at taxing you! They are A+ at that!

Argus!

HMRC on 18:55 - Mar 21 with 451 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Unfortunately big data sharing means they now exactly what we are up to unless you deal carefully in cash. There are data consultancies that show how much each household earns and spends. If you go cash only use it for luxuries otherwise if you use your cash for supermarket shopping there will be a big hole in your household data set.
If you buy anything online and tick the terms and conditions box that opens up your data to the company you are using and all their partners to share any data on you between them. You only have to tick a box once and the whole system opens up.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

HMRC on 18:59 - Mar 21 with 445 viewsWhiterockin

HMRC on 18:55 - Mar 21 by JACKMANANDBOY

Unfortunately big data sharing means they now exactly what we are up to unless you deal carefully in cash. There are data consultancies that show how much each household earns and spends. If you go cash only use it for luxuries otherwise if you use your cash for supermarket shopping there will be a big hole in your household data set.
If you buy anything online and tick the terms and conditions box that opens up your data to the company you are using and all their partners to share any data on you between them. You only have to tick a box once and the whole system opens up.

Stay on the right side of the law and there are no issues.
HMRC on 00:57 - Mar 22 with 352 viewsmajorraglan

100%.

In a previous job I had an interesting meeting with a bailiff, I was gobsmacked by how much information they could find on people, we all know about the credit checks, but they could get far more information than the police could and much quicker all because of the little box you’ve mentioned. People don’t realise what they’re signing up to most of the time.

The point you make about cash is really valid, if you’re stopped walking down the street with £1k in cash the police could confiscate it if they believe this money is going to be used in an illegal way or if they suspect that it has come from an illegal source.
HMRC on 09:34 - Mar 22 with 296 viewscontroversial_jack

That may be true, there are algorithms, and data is shared around, but they don't know what you have bought, how much you have spent etc. that's covered by gdp, and the govt can't access your accounts unless they get a court order , i believe that's changed lately if you are on benefits

Using cash is fine for small items, but how would you buy a car or anything expensive? It's not that doing away with cash is the problem, the snooping is the problem. I have no problem with targeted surveillance, but mass surveillance is so wrong on may counts.

We are in a police state, no doubt about this. Our ancestors would be rolling in their graves
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024