Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR. No thanks. 12:22 - Mar 31 with 2555 viewsNoelmc

A great point made by one of the posters on another message board:

"Imagine, just imagine, if in the midst of the mad celebration of Dunne's wonder goal the big screen had flashed up “VAR Check” and how that would have punctured the mood. Even if confirmed 2 minutes later, that ultimate high wouldn’t have been the same. No to VAR"
VAR. No thanks. on 12:26 - Mar 31 with 2072 viewsSydneyRs

I was always a fan of the idea of VAR in terms of removing referee howlers and making the game fairer.

However, the way it is being used to call ridiculous hairline offsides, give nonsense handball penalties etc is making the game worse, not better.

Either fix it or bin it.
VAR. No thanks. on 12:33 - Mar 31 with 2036 viewsWatford_Ranger

Increasingly rare they change something and the sport improves. Even with VAR Chelsea get that nonsense penalty and sending off. Sheff U have a goal ruled out for a ‘technical offside’ not one person would have questioned in our league.

Was at Spurs yesterday and even with only one short VAR stoppage it’s crap for those in the ground who matter least.

The head injury rule
Armpits offside
Arbitrary lines
Make sure you pick the right ball up off the right cone
Nonsense handballs
Five subs
VAR. No thanks. on 12:55 - Mar 31 with 1907 viewsgazza1

VAR is so important and thankfully it will be 'rolled out' even more in the near future.
VAR. No thanks. on 13:06 - Mar 31 with 1879 viewsNorthernr

5 mins with a lap top seeing if Armstrong fouled Sanderson.
Into the sea with it.
VAR. No thanks. on 13:15 - Mar 31 with 1836 viewsmart_Goblin

Absolutely spot on.

Ruining the game more with every changed law
VAR. No thanks. on 13:16 - Mar 31 with 1823 viewsgazza1

VAR. No thanks. on 13:06 - Mar 31 by Northernr

Into the sea with it.

It wasnt a foul.....no VAR
VAR. No thanks. on 13:20 - Mar 31 with 1813 viewsWatfordR

It's checking for too much in my opinion. Let's have offside simplified to position of feet. Then check offside, check the ball is over the line. Maybe check for clear and obvious fouls missed in the build up, though I'm not enthused by the idea that it should be used for subjective rulings.
VAR. No thanks. on 13:26 - Mar 31 with 1789 viewsgazza1

VAR. No thanks. on 13:20 - Mar 31 by WatfordR

It's checking for too much in my opinion. Let's have offside simplified to position of feet. Then check offside, check the ball is over the line. Maybe check for clear and obvious fouls missed in the build up, though I'm not enthused by the idea that it should be used for subjective rulings.

It goes on sometimes , takes too long - 100%.

I do not want to go home from a match like I did when we played WBA this season!!!, Sunderland(cup)?? last year - would of had a nice trip to Arsenal, great for everyone including our bank balance.
Login to get fewer ads

VAR. No thanks. on 13:27 - Mar 31 with 1790 viewsderbyhoop

In cricket reviews are used to overturn CLEAR errors from the umpires. VAR is grossly over used in football.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

VAR. No thanks. on 13:36 - Mar 31 with 1761 viewsAntti_Heinola

Said the same as the OP.
There are occasions when you think ‘wow, lucky var was there’ but if you take it as a whole I’d rather have a few wrong decisions but be able to enjoy the moment than have var. even after the West Brom player punching it over the bar, my reaction wasn’t ‘get var now!’
People keep saying they need to iron out the problems, but they’ve been using it for years now, and while it’s solved one or two problems, it’s created loads more. I’d bin it personally, and i think the vast majority of fans feel the same way. Too late now though. I just hope it stays out the championship.

Bare bones.

VAR. No thanks. on 13:36 - Mar 31 with 1762 viewsjohann28

VAR. No thanks. on 13:27 - Mar 31 by derbyhoop

In cricket reviews are used to overturn CLEAR errors from the umpires. VAR is grossly over used in football.

Agree. And in cricket there are only a limited number of reviews. The team captain could have, say, a maximum of two reviews per game, which if proved incorrect, then you would then lose the right to more reviews. Borderline offsides are another issue - i reckon ref's onfield call should stand unless there's a clear offside (say three feet?). It certainly isn't helping the game as it stands.
VAR. No thanks. on 13:53 - Mar 31 with 1728 viewsessextaxiboy

I have been told that offside will be fully automated and instant like goal line tech in the future.
VAR. No thanks. on 13:54 - Mar 31 with 1711 viewsgazza1

VAR. No thanks. on 13:53 - Mar 31 by essextaxiboy

I have been told that offside will be fully automated and instant like goal line tech in the future.

Interesting, that would be very good indeed.
VAR. No thanks. on 13:56 - Mar 31 with 1718 viewsTonto

VAR. No thanks. on 13:27 - Mar 31 by derbyhoop

This.

VaR should have no more than 30 seconds to check something. Wasn't there a 6 minute VAR check the other day? Ridiculous.

Good idea, run by FIFA, ruined by FIFA

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

VAR. No thanks. on 14:01 - Mar 31 with 1700 viewsted_hendrix

Managed without VAR for decades so basically shove It up your jacksie.

They'll be wanting to ban the eating of Pukka Pies during time added on next.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

VAR. No thanks. on 14:04 - Mar 31 with 1682 viewsdaveB

VAR has been a disaster, watched MOTD last night, some of the calls in that Sheff Utd game and the West Ham one were unbelievable
VAR. No thanks. on 14:11 - Mar 31 with 1674 viewsWestonsuperR

There has to be some way of improving VAR, can’t dismiss technology like this that removes some of the really dreadful decisions made over the years. Frustrating when hairline offsides or alike are given and then complained about if it is offside it is offside no matter how tight it is.

Really need a rethink of how it is deployed and how it can be sped up. At this stage very glad not to have it in the Championship.
VAR. No thanks. on 14:24 - Mar 31 with 1641 viewscharmr

Managers who won’t blame players instead blame referees. You had 90+ fing minutes to score a goal. Referees got sick of the abuse so gave them what they want. All post match chat for ages has been about referee decisions. Never hear any debate about players diving or faking injuries. Ian Wright telling me it was definitely a pen. Strewth.

Football culture is all about getting one over the referee.

Morinho started all this deflection and blame culture. Made good tv though.
[Post edited 31 Mar 14:26]
VAR. No thanks. on 15:35 - Mar 31 with 1497 viewscharmr

VAR is becoming like a fake news parody at times
VAR. No thanks. on 15:49 - Mar 31 with 1466 viewsNorthernr

Probably a better example than Friday's is Ilias Chair's goal at Leicester. That would have been a good 5 minutes while some wnkr drew the lines on with MS Paint.
VAR. No thanks. on 16:46 - Mar 31 with 1325 viewsed_83

VAR would be fine if the implementation wasn’t so shockingly bad. Nobody complains about goal-line tech because it’s quick, clear and objective. You might eventually get instant & 100% accurate offside decisions but there’ll always be grey areas for the rest. Cricket-style appeals (communicated properly in the stadium) would help deal with the massive clangers without ruining the flow of the game, but there’s no way football administrators will admit they’ve messed the whole thing up.
VAR. No thanks. on 17:24 - Mar 31 with 1261 viewsstevec

VAR. No thanks. on 15:49 - Mar 31 by Northernr

Probably a better example than Friday's is Ilias Chair's goal at Leicester. That would have been a good 5 minutes while some wnkr drew the lines on with MS Paint.

Exactly. I’d rather take the rough with the smooth than miss out on a moment like Jimmys goal.

That alone has made all the dross we’ve sat through last year worthwhile, please don’t let VAR take that away as well.
VAR. No thanks. on 03:48 - Apr 1 with 914 viewssaxbend

Fans wanted TMO. We got VAR instead. It's a textbook "We have TMO at home" meme.
VAR. No thanks. on 05:32 - Apr 1 with 860 viewsozexile

VAR. No thanks. on 13:06 - Mar 31 by Northernr

Into the sea with it.

Funny you say that cause I've seen those given against forwards so many times. First time I saw the replay I thought the ref would have given it.
[Post edited 1 Apr 7:31]
VAR. No thanks. on 07:38 - Apr 1 with 791 viewsNorthernr

VAR. No thanks. on 03:48 - Apr 1 by saxbend

Fans wanted TMO. We got VAR instead. It's a textbook "We have TMO at home" meme.

Is that the rugby one? Where we stop another professional sport for five minutes while three people talk about protocols and "mitigation" like it's some sort of criminal trial after two blokes accidentally bang heads in a contact sport? If so, also no thanks...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024