Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi 08:30 - Apr 9 with 2298 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/62276/brighton-alleged-t

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 08:42 - Apr 9 with 1839 viewsPatfromPoole

The Brighton Buddha!

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 09:09 - Apr 9 with 1814 viewsdirk_doone

Too late. April 1st was more than a week ago, Nick.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 09:29 - Apr 9 with 1784 viewsSaintNick

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 09:09 - Apr 9 by dirk_doone

Too late. April 1st was more than a week ago, Nick.

As I said on the home page article

When Brighton appointed Graham Potter he had just taken Swansea to 10th in the Championship, Roberto De Zerbi had been a bit of journeyman manager.

Brighton are a club who look beyond big names and look for the up and coming coaches.

Here at Southampton we as a fan base seem to want big names rather than up and coming coaches

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 09:33 - Apr 9 with 1776 viewsPatfromPoole

I thought there was something definitely interesting about Brighton Buddha’s press conference comment yesterday, indicating he may not be here next year…..

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 09:38 - Apr 9 with 1765 viewsGRIM

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 09:29 - Apr 9 by SaintNick

When Brighton appointed Graham Potter he had just taken Swansea to 10th in the Championship, Roberto De Zerbi had been a bit of journeyman manager.

Brighton are a club who look beyond big names and look for the up and coming coaches.

Here at Southampton we as a fan base seem to want big names rather than up and coming coaches

We just want a manager that we can relate to & one that gets us results.
I personally have never been able to warm to RM (he probably wouldn't warm to me either).
I find him a bit strange with his tactics , team selections & particularly his post match interviews . (too much use of the words love & proud for my liking).
I cannot believe that Brighton are seriously considering him as their next Manager.
Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 09:51 - Apr 9 with 1741 viewsdirk_doone

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 09:29 - Apr 9 by SaintNick

You're losing it, Nick, if you seriously think Brighton would take Russell Martin off our hands. Next, you'll be telling us that they want Bazunu and Smallbone as well.
[Post edited 9 Apr 9:55]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 10:26 - Apr 9 with 1658 viewsJoeEgg

I think Brighton were advertising for the vacant post of tea boy.
Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 10:34 - Apr 9 with 1637 viewsPatfromPoole

I can believe it.

No smoke without fire etc.

These sort of discussions will be taking place around now as teams plan for next season.

As Nick says, it's the sort of appointment Brighton would make.

I just hope that Martin was wrong in his press conference yesterday about the club wanting to play this way in the future regardless of who the manager is.

I would far rather we had a more pragmatic style, with a keeper who is in the team more for saving shots than ability to pass the ball (Johansson from Rotherham please) and an emphasis on having possession which actually gets you somewhere rather than just sideways and backwards all the time.

If you swapped Brighton Buddha now for Steve Cooper, I'd be massively all in for that.

Login to get fewer ads

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 10:36 - Apr 9 with 1635 viewsIfonly

I don't see RM (or his style) as the future for Saints, but actually he would be a better fit for Brighton. Sorry to say it but they have better players, and a better recruitment system to bring in new ones. His tactics would probably work better for Brighton than they do for us.

In the long term (10 years time +) there is no reason why Brighton should still be better than Saints. We will probably both be either struggling PL teams or looking to be promoted from the Championship. But for now, they have got their act together much better than us and can give RM the players he needs to make his style work.

The main reason I slag RM off so much is that I just think he's wrong for Saints. If he was at a top club he would probably do OK (despite still making some weird decisions) and, for now, Brighton are close to the top level.
Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 10:36 - Apr 9 with 1634 viewssaint901

I think that's a little unfair Mr Nick.

We want a manager to whom the club means something outside of a professional relationship.

We want a manager who recognises what the players can do and finds a system to bring out the best in them.

We want a manager who can see when Plan A has run its course and can make changes - long or short term - to develop Plan B.

I think the club has shown that they do not want "big names" as managers but rather somebody who can make the best of us.

We, the fans, recognise that we are not ever going to have the spending power of perhaps thirty clubs above us and given that money buys success in football, most of us have more modest ambitions. I

n order to deliver even those objectives, we want a manager who does not stubbornly stick to a way of playing that is demonstrably unsuited to the players, easy for the opposition, creates a lack of confidence in individual players, perhaps spoils the career of some players being forced into roles for which tey are unsuited and untrained.

In other words a pragmatic manager with some self awareness.
Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 10:47 - Apr 9 with 1620 viewsSaintNick

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 10:36 - Apr 9 by saint901

I think that's a little unfair Mr Nick.

We want a manager to whom the club means something outside of a professional relationship.

We want a manager who recognises what the players can do and finds a system to bring out the best in them.

We want a manager who can see when Plan A has run its course and can make changes - long or short term - to develop Plan B.

I think the club has shown that they do not want "big names" as managers but rather somebody who can make the best of us.

We, the fans, recognise that we are not ever going to have the spending power of perhaps thirty clubs above us and given that money buys success in football, most of us have more modest ambitions. I

n order to deliver even those objectives, we want a manager who does not stubbornly stick to a way of playing that is demonstrably unsuited to the players, easy for the opposition, creates a lack of confidence in individual players, perhaps spoils the career of some players being forced into roles for which tey are unsuited and untrained.

In other words a pragmatic manager with some self awareness.

Im not sure that most managers care about about their clubs outside of the professional relationships, it is just a job for them.

Even Alan Ball a man who had served the club as a player, took the money & ran when Man City, not the powerhouse they are today offered a lot more

Since Nigel Adkins I would say the only manager who actually cared about the club was Ralph, Pochettino for instance didn't give two hoots he would not even give us the respect to speak to the press in English, something he did from day one at Spurs.

Ronald Koeman made it clear from the start he was here as part of his journey.

I agree the club want a manager that brings out the best, but my point was the fans want a name, obviously not a Guardiola or Klopp but someone who has survived in the Premier League, we had that in Ralph, but if we had a poll most would go for Sean Dyche in a head to head.

As I have said Russell martin is at a cross roads, can he learn from his mistakes or will he go on repeating them

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 10:49 - Apr 9 with 1618 viewsSaintNick

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 09:51 - Apr 9 by dirk_doone

You're losing it, Nick, if you seriously think Brighton would take Russell Martin off our hands. Next, you'll be telling us that they want Bazunu and Smallbone as well.
[Post edited 9 Apr 9:55]

Im not losing it Dirk, I'm just repeating stories elsewhere in the media

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 10:57 - Apr 9 with 1605 viewssaints__fan__73

Well you weren't happy when we appointed Poch...

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 11:20 - Apr 9 with 1575 viewsSaintNick

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 10:57 - Apr 9 by saints__fan__73

Well you weren't happy when we appointed Poch...

You are right i wasnt happy and nor where most of the rest of the fanbase,

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 12:01 - Apr 9 with 1522 viewsPaleRider

Nick - I think you forget that Potter had had a good reputation coming from Sweden! RM does not have this.

Not a surprise to just use a selective statistic to make an argument! It's called confirmation bias!
Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 12:22 - Apr 9 with 1489 viewsSaintNick

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 12:01 - Apr 9 by PaleRider

Nick - I think you forget that Potter had had a good reputation coming from Sweden! RM does not have this.

Not a surprise to just use a selective statistic to make an argument! It's called confirmation bias!

Potter had a good reputation in Sweden, but that is hardly the best of football leagues, he started in the 4th tier and worked his way up and they got promotion to the top flight in 2015

He had a couple of reasonable seasons in the top flight and won a cup.

So a good reputation in Sweden , but it's not the greatest League, Russell Martin started his career as a manager at MK Dons and had a couple of seasons there, arriving at Swansea as did Potter.

So they have both taken different routes in their managerial career

The direct comparison is the time at Swansea where they both had similar records

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 12:31 - Apr 9 with 1472 viewsTripleNiemi

Whilst I am not one for continually changing managers, what a bonus if we could offload the Tippy Tappy king and get compo. Winner winner, chicken dinner

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 12:37 - Apr 9 with 1465 viewsPaleRider

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 12:22 - Apr 9 by SaintNick

Potter had a good reputation in Sweden, but that is hardly the best of football leagues, he started in the 4th tier and worked his way up and they got promotion to the top flight in 2015

He had a couple of reasonable seasons in the top flight and won a cup.

So a good reputation in Sweden , but it's not the greatest League, Russell Martin started his career as a manager at MK Dons and had a couple of seasons there, arriving at Swansea as did Potter.

So they have both taken different routes in their managerial career

The direct comparison is the time at Swansea where they both had similar records

Potter also won the Swedish Cup with Ostersund and got them past the group stages of the Europa League where they eventually beaten by Arsenal. So the direct comparison here would be with RM guiding MK Dons to mid-table League One!

Potter was on an upwards trajectory, whereas RM is on a tippy-tappy sideways trajectory.
Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 12:40 - Apr 9 with 1460 viewsSaintNick

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 12:37 - Apr 9 by PaleRider

Potter also won the Swedish Cup with Ostersund and got them past the group stages of the Europa League where they eventually beaten by Arsenal. So the direct comparison here would be with RM guiding MK Dons to mid-table League One!

Potter was on an upwards trajectory, whereas RM is on a tippy-tappy sideways trajectory.

I mentioned that he had won a cup in Sweden.

Your last sentence reveals your own confirmation bias

This post has been edited by an administrator

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 12:51 - Apr 9 with 1441 viewsPaleRider

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 12:40 - Apr 9 by SaintNick

I mentioned that he had won a cup in Sweden.

Your last sentence reveals your own confirmation bias

This post has been edited by an administrator

I apologise - I missed your comment about the cup in Sweden.

According to Wikipedia - "Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favour, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values. People display this bias when they select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or when they interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing attitudes. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs."

My previous post showed no confirmation bias - I was comparing a manager with a track record of some success as a manager with a manager with a track record of zero success as a manager.
[Post edited 9 Apr 12:56]
Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 14:31 - Apr 9 with 1322 viewsSaintNick

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 12:51 - Apr 9 by PaleRider

I apologise - I missed your comment about the cup in Sweden.

According to Wikipedia - "Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favour, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values. People display this bias when they select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or when they interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing attitudes. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs."

My previous post showed no confirmation bias - I was comparing a manager with a track record of some success as a manager with a manager with a track record of zero success as a manager.
[Post edited 9 Apr 12:56]

Jimmy Ball at AFC Totton has won more trophies as a manager than Potter, a Swedish Cup win isn't exactly the FA Cup or even the League cup come to that

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 15:17 - Apr 9 with 1264 viewsPaleRider

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 14:31 - Apr 9 by SaintNick

Jimmy Ball at AFC Totton has won more trophies as a manager than Potter, a Swedish Cup win isn't exactly the FA Cup or even the League cup come to that

True - however, I never equated the Swedish Cup with the FA Cup or even League Cup. The important thing is that Potter was on an upward trajectory. He had had more success at his previous appointment to Swansea than Russell Martin had. I would compare winning the Swedish Cup and playing in the top flight in Sweden as better than mid table League 1 and not winning any trophies (even the JPL or whatever it is now).

If you want to compare to Jimmy Ball then fine but it does explain some of the post-match reports we read!
Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 15:24 - Apr 9 with 1253 viewsSaintNick

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 15:17 - Apr 9 by PaleRider

True - however, I never equated the Swedish Cup with the FA Cup or even League Cup. The important thing is that Potter was on an upward trajectory. He had had more success at his previous appointment to Swansea than Russell Martin had. I would compare winning the Swedish Cup and playing in the top flight in Sweden as better than mid table League 1 and not winning any trophies (even the JPL or whatever it is now).

If you want to compare to Jimmy Ball then fine but it does explain some of the post-match reports we read!

I would agree Sweden's top flight or at least some of the teams in it are better than League 1, but they when Saints appointed Russell martin his career was at exactly the same point as Potter's was when he left Swansea to join Brighton, yes Potter had won that Swedish cup, but he had taken a lot longer in his managerial career to reach the same point ie managing Swansea.

If Martin does get us up and that is still a distinct possibility in the play offs, then I would say he has achieved more than Potter in terms of the level he has succeeded at ie Championship play offs, so perhaps we had better reserve judgement on him until the season ends.

I would agree though that at the present time it doesn't look good, but then again Nigel Adkins team wobbled when he took us up

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 15:41 - Apr 9 with 1228 viewsButty101

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 15:24 - Apr 9 by SaintNick

I would agree Sweden's top flight or at least some of the teams in it are better than League 1, but they when Saints appointed Russell martin his career was at exactly the same point as Potter's was when he left Swansea to join Brighton, yes Potter had won that Swedish cup, but he had taken a lot longer in his managerial career to reach the same point ie managing Swansea.

If Martin does get us up and that is still a distinct possibility in the play offs, then I would say he has achieved more than Potter in terms of the level he has succeeded at ie Championship play offs, so perhaps we had better reserve judgement on him until the season ends.

I would agree though that at the present time it doesn't look good, but then again Nigel Adkins team wobbled when he took us up

I didnt know you were an expert on Swedish football Nick? Its amazing how some of our fans are experts on other nationality's leagues!

Martin took the team that finished 4th in the championship with a tight defence and turned them into a leaky team that finished midtable.

Also i dont think Saints fan (i only speak for my self mind) dont want a big name manager. When we have gone down that route Hoddle/Koeman it has worked well.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Brighton Alleged To Be Talking To Russell Martin To Replace Roberto De Zerbi on 15:57 - Apr 9 with 1202 viewskingolaf

If Brighton want Martin they’ll get him for free if he gets sacked. Might explain his crazy decisions recently.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024