Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
our manager 01:41 - Apr 24 with 1090 viewssaint22

Southampton boss Russell Martin told BBC Radio Solent:
"For 60-odd minutes I thought we were good. It was a really tight match. We played some amazing build-up, but it didn't come to enough.
"Their attackers were really ruthless and we were not.
"At the start of the second half we were so good, and were so on top and they scored against the run of play. And after that I did not like one bit what I saw from my team tonight.

Really?? why not come out and own up? You got it so badly wrong game after game that yet you thought we were "so good" what so good we lost 5 nil???

ffs grow a pair and show some humility, your arrogance and ego are getting us nowhere fast
our manager on 06:18 - Apr 24 with 957 viewsCity_boy

Martin is absolutely deluded. Comments like this are insulting to our intelligence and anyone who watched the game.

That game is up there as one of the worst games I have seen. Players looked like they didn't have a clue, or even want to be there.

I am only hoping that this causes some sort of reaction and players start speaking out and challenging this ineffective style of play Martin has forced on the team.
our manager on 08:20 - Apr 24 with 741 viewsSaintNick

our manager on 06:18 - Apr 24 by City_boy

Martin is absolutely deluded. Comments like this are insulting to our intelligence and anyone who watched the game.

That game is up there as one of the worst games I have seen. Players looked like they didn't have a clue, or even want to be there.

I am only hoping that this causes some sort of reaction and players start speaking out and challenging this ineffective style of play Martin has forced on the team.

This was not about possession football, that has not been played in the last 3 games, not because of the tactics, but because the players know that they cannot play it too much along the back line as Alex McCarthy is not good enough with his feet to play it.

Last night when under pressure we did not go back to the goalkeeper unless he was under no pressure so we cleared the ball a lot more.

This was about getting caught on the break and failing to mark our players

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

our manager on 08:30 - Apr 24 with 712 viewsCity_boy

our manager on 08:20 - Apr 24 by SaintNick

This was not about possession football, that has not been played in the last 3 games, not because of the tactics, but because the players know that they cannot play it too much along the back line as Alex McCarthy is not good enough with his feet to play it.

Last night when under pressure we did not go back to the goalkeeper unless he was under no pressure so we cleared the ball a lot more.

Nick, I agree with your comments about McCarthy and how defence play with him in the sticks, but to say it is not about possession football I disagree with.

We did clear ball a lot more, but still messed around with it in middle of park going side to side and back. We had 66% possession and not a single shot on target ?

Adams didn't even have a touch in their penalty box !

How many time have we lost to teams who only have 30% possession, last night was not a one off, it has been brewing for months. Martins obsession with stats and possession has to change.
our manager on 13:43 - Apr 24 with 489 viewssaint22

our manager on 08:30 - Apr 24 by City_boy

Nick, I agree with your comments about McCarthy and how defence play with him in the sticks, but to say it is not about possession football I disagree with.

We did clear ball a lot more, but still messed around with it in middle of park going side to side and back. We had 66% possession and not a single shot on target ?

Adams didn't even have a touch in their penalty box !

How many time have we lost to teams who only have 30% possession, last night was not a one off, it has been brewing for months. Martins obsession with stats and possession has to change.

The players are not playing for him, even they have lost faith in the possession based defeats.

Wussell is like Trump, everything is "their" fault, he is teflon. Saying we were good last night, do me a favour. When has he once held his hands up and said I take responsibility, that was my fault, bad subs, bad team selection, wrong tactics.

All season its been the same. We go on an unbeaten run with a fairly solid settled defence. Stephens gets shoehorned in disrupting said defence and we spiral further and further down, Not once has he dropped a very poor keeper yet he dropped our best player KWp for an error again disrupting the defence.
They bought in Calderwood to shore up the defence which he seemed to havebbut now? Has Wussell overruled him?
He hasn't improved our awful shots to conversion rate, he should have bought in a finishing coach
His subs have been reactive all season and at the wrong time for the wrong players 9 times out of ten
No plan B and his inability to switch tactics in game
the stubbornness of "this is the way we play no matter what" does not work at all ever in any business - you have to adapt, his failure to do so has cost us
Teams need to finish strongly with good leadership, we have done the total opposite
Any team facing us in the play off knows we won't change the way we apply so can easily out play us
our manager on 14:06 - Apr 24 with 460 viewsIfonly

our manager on 08:20 - Apr 24 by SaintNick

Not about possession based football???

I've seen from your other comments that you seem to believe that possession based football just means playing it around our own penalty area. It doesn't, it's much more than that. As others have said, we were very much playing RM style possession based football last night. That's why we had 66% possession. You don't have 66% possession while losing 5-0 unless you are playing possession based football.

You are right that this was a lot to do with being caught on the break and leaving space for them to attack, but that too is very much part of the way RM plays. We slowly, slowly manouvre up the pitch and leave big spaces behind. Counter attacking teams don't do that.
our manager on 14:11 - Apr 24 with 448 viewsPatfromPoole

My biggest frustration is when we do work ourselves into a good position in the oppo’s final third, and you think there is the chance of a shot on goal.

And then we play it back to the halfway line and let the oppo get back their defensive shape, and the move peters out into nothing.

We did it a number of times last night and it infuriated me.

It is classic Rustyball, as I fear I christened it last June, to quite a bit of scepticism on here at the time aimed in my direction.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

our manager on 14:12 - Apr 24 with 448 viewsMattFinish

At the start of the second half we came out and played really well but fell back into our negative style. It shows we're capable of playing well but I don't think the players believe in what they're being trained
our manager on 14:22 - Apr 24 with 427 viewsTimSaint

'For so long in the game I thought we were really good' - at having 66% possession and creating virtually nothing and zero shots on target. I think we tried to bore Leicester to death with continuous backwards and sideways passing, so much so that our players looked bored as well !!
Not a single player seemed up for it and Leicester even scored a breakaway goal from our corner - just like the ones we used to concede in the Prem.

3rd choice keeper - faced 6 shots on target and let in 5 !!

If RM thinks we were really good last night, he needs to watch the match again and give us his proper verdict.

TimSaint

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024