Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Moyes To Leave West Ham 08:48 - May 7 with 945 viewsSaintNick

Not exactly a shock, but strange given that the Hammers have had as good a 4 years or so under him than at any time since the 1980's, and look likely to finish in the top 10 again this season.

Now the debate can open about whether we should get him next season

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Moyes To Leave West Ham on 09:02 - May 7 with 920 viewsA1079

It reminds me a bit Nick of our relationship with Claude Puel.

We did not win anything with him but we did get to a final and finished 8th (though that 8th finishing was a bit misleading as points wise we were closer to the bottom 3 than we were to the top 6) but it was football for insomniacs. Apart from the final at Wembley the football under Puel was incredibly dull and uninspiring and not what Saints supporters were used to. The question was and arguably is, was Puel just realistic in his approach due to the quality of the squad or did he restrain the team with his tactics? I was one of those that did not call for his dismissal but I was not against him leaving - little did we know that what would follow him would be worse - but that is down to the failure and poor decision making by the board at that time.

Moyes is bit of an enigma. If you look at his pattern he tends have a good season followed by a poor one. On the whole he has done pretty well and as he said the difference this year is Rice - they did not replace him with the quality that was needed to continue their push or maintain the brand of football he was playing with Rice. Sounds familiar? yes, it does, selling your best players may get you loads of money but it is what you do with that money when you have sold a quality player and all too often that money appears to just melt away and the team becomes diluted and eroded in quality and what looked like promise starts looking desperate and you alienate the other players, you become less attractive and the supporters grow increasingly frustrated.
Moyes To Leave West Ham on 10:25 - May 7 with 849 viewsButty101

Moyes To Leave West Ham on 09:02 - May 7 by A1079

We did not win anything with him but we did get to a final and finished 8th (though that 8th finishing was a bit misleading as points wise we were closer to the bottom 3 than we were to the top 6) but it was football for insomniacs. Apart from the final at Wembley the football under Puel was incredibly dull and uninspiring and not what Saints supporters were used to. The question was and arguably is, was Puel just realistic in his approach due to the quality of the squad or did he restrain the team with his tactics? I was one of those that did not call for his dismissal but I was not against him leaving - little did we know that what would follow him would be worse - but that is down to the failure and poor decision making by the board at that time.

Moyes is bit of an enigma. If you look at his pattern he tends have a good season followed by a poor one. On the whole he has done pretty well and as he said the difference this year is Rice - they did not replace him with the quality that was needed to continue their push or maintain the brand of football he was playing with Rice. Sounds familiar? yes, it does, selling your best players may get you loads of money but it is what you do with that money when you have sold a quality player and all too often that money appears to just melt away and the team becomes diluted and eroded in quality and what looked like promise starts looking desperate and you alienate the other players, you become less attractive and the supporters grow increasingly frustrated.

Would take him in a heart beat.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Moyes To Leave West Ham on 10:32 - May 7 with 840 viewsgrumpy

Moyes To Leave West Ham on 10:25 - May 7 by Butty101

Would take him in a heart beat.

I would too,West Ham will regret letting him go.
Moyes To Leave West Ham on 12:30 - May 7 with 765 viewsSaintNick

Moyes To Leave West Ham on 09:02 - May 7 by A1079

Very similar to Puel, I have always maintained that Puel got a raw deal from the fans as some could not forgive him for playing weakened sides away in the Europa League.

We did have some good wins mainly away from home, but we lost some important players in the summer of 2016 (Pelle & Mane) and then in January 2017 we lost Virgil Van Dijk to injury and Jose Fonte to egotism & sulking.

That was the moment that things changed with Jack Stephens making his Saints League debut in January and Yoshida as the two centre halfs, Puel knew he had to cover them, thus we used two defensive midfielders mostly Davis & Romero and supplemented by Hojbjerg.

After conceding 3 very defendable goals against Man Utd including a last minute winner where we stopped and watched as Ibrahimovic headed home completely unmarked from 6 yards out, and the game after at Watford where we almost threw away a 4-1 lead in injury time, Puel concentrated on making sure that we kept our central defence covered.

Not sure about Moyes, I think his time has passed, but I can think of worse

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Moyes To Leave West Ham on 13:57 - May 7 with 675 viewsPatfromPoole

Seem to recall he turned us down before when he was at Preston and Rupert Lowe wanted to bring him in.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Moyes To Leave West Ham on 16:28 - May 7 with 600 viewskingslandstand1

Moyes To Leave West Ham on 10:32 - May 7 by grumpy

He might bring JWP back with him .............
Moyes To Leave West Ham on 17:33 - May 7 with 552 views1ASIN12

Moyes To Leave West Ham on 12:30 - May 7 by SaintNick

Very similar to Puel, I have always maintained that Puel got a raw deal from the fans as some could not forgive him for playing weakened sides away in the Europa League.

We did have some good wins mainly away from home, but we lost some important players in the summer of 2016 (Pelle & Mane) and then in January 2017 we lost Virgil Van Dijk to injury and Jose Fonte to egotism & sulking.

That was the moment that things changed with Jack Stephens making his Saints League debut in January and Yoshida as the two centre halfs, Puel knew he had to cover them, thus we used two defensive midfielders mostly Davis & Romero and supplemented by Hojbjerg.

After conceding 3 very defendable goals against Man Utd including a last minute winner where we stopped and watched as Ibrahimovic headed home completely unmarked from 6 yards out, and the game after at Watford where we almost threw away a 4-1 lead in injury time, Puel concentrated on making sure that we kept our central defence covered.

Not sure about Moyes, I think his time has passed, but I can think of worse

Puel wasn’t a bad manger , in fact tactically he was up there with one of the best we had .

The issue was all season we went from a side wanting to win to a side that didn’t want to lose and that’s a big difference. I never forget how we drew with Liverpool at home 0-0 and with no shots on target and how chuffed Peul was . More noticeable was the scousers commented that they never thought they’d see a Southampton team play so negative.

You are right he fvcked up our Europa league campaign by both playing weaken sides and those negative tactics . Not just away from home where we all travel 1000’s of miles to not see a single goal but also at home . None more so then against be’re Sheva .

As was rightfully pointed out that 8th finish was a bit of luck as 5 mins before then end we were in the bottom half then a series of goals saw us leap frog about 3 sides.
However the stats show that season we were the 8th best side.
Moyes To Leave West Ham on 18:41 - May 7 with 495 viewscocklebreath

Moyes To Leave West Ham on 10:32 - May 7 by grumpy

I bet they don’t

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Login to get fewer ads

Moyes To Leave West Ham on 22:03 - May 7 with 377 viewsA1079

Moyes leaving whilst a dubious decision is not exactly surprising whereas Rosenior's sacking at Hull City appears completely bizarre and unjust (unless there is something behind the scenes which has brought it on). I thought he was doing an excellent job at Hull given the size of the squad, club, etc. It reminds me of the sacking of Adkins which felt so unjust at the time as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024