Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 20:58 - Oct 10 with 1947 viewsSaintNick

Looking a bit scrappy so far tonight and 1-0 down

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

England on 21:32 - Oct 10 with 1876 viewskingolaf

Another coach who thinks you can play without a centre forward.

Trying to be too clever, and it will probably cost him the job full-time.
England on 21:33 - Oct 10 with 1875 viewsfelly1

Greece are easily the better team tonight.
I find it hard to warm to the England team tbh.
England on 21:39 - Oct 10 with 1862 views1885_SFC

Oh dear.

Old School is Cool

England on 22:36 - Oct 10 with 1790 views1teeminants

England on 21:33 - Oct 10 by felly1

Greece are easily the better team tonight.
I find it hard to warm to the England team tbh.

Didn’t even know they were playing.

Couldn’t care less tbh

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

England on 06:41 - Oct 11 with 1601 viewsCity_boy

Quote from Carsley interview post England game.

"we have to be courageous with our systems "

'We tried something different, overload the midfield. It is something we tried for 20 minutes yesterday and experimented with it today. It did not come off today but maybe it was unrealistic to expect too much'

He totally messed up. Introducing a formation that they only tried for 20 minutes, suggests he thought this game would be a walk in the park.

Where have I heard this sort of crap before ?
[Post edited 11 Oct 6:49]
England on 08:01 - Oct 11 with 1557 viewsgrumpy

I just don’t get this new idea of playing out from the back.The risks far outweigh the advantages.
England on 08:21 - Oct 11 with 1541 viewsA1079

It was a total mess. There were many times it felt like I was watching Saints. Messing around our own box with the opposition pressing and invariably we give it away, passes going astray. What astounded me was the ease at which Greece regularly cut through the midfield and defence with barely an attempt to tackle or stop them. I can get that they were not used to the system but these are some of our best players and did not even do the basics which is irrespective of any system. Pickford was awful as was Stones and Foden.

I thought Carsley got off lightly with the media. Trying new systems is one thing but just 20 mins of trying it and then applying it in a competitive game is questionable.
England on 09:30 - Oct 11 with 1457 viewsGRIM

England on 06:41 - Oct 11 by City_boy

Quote from Carsley interview post England game.

"we have to be courageous with our systems "

'We tried something different, overload the midfield. It is something we tried for 20 minutes yesterday and experimented with it today. It did not come off today but maybe it was unrealistic to expect too much'

He totally messed up. Introducing a formation that they only tried for 20 minutes, suggests he thought this game would be a walk in the park.

Where have I heard this sort of crap before ?
[Post edited 11 Oct 6:49]

Yes , he did Overload the midfield.
But with forwards,
Declan Rice was the only genuine midfielder.
We were totally overun in midfield & a shambles at the back.
We were very lucky not to lose by more.
Greece outclassed us in every department.
The Greek keeper had nothing to do all evening.
Login to get fewer ads

England on 10:50 - Oct 11 with 1345 viewsgrumpy

Give the Goalkeeper a kick to send upfield not pass to his nearest defender.
Stop passing sideways in front of your goal.
England on 11:04 - Oct 11 with 1325 viewsdirk_doone

England on 09:30 - Oct 11 by GRIM

Yes , he did Overload the midfield.
But with forwards,
Declan Rice was the only genuine midfielder.
We were totally overun in midfield & a shambles at the back.
We were very lucky not to lose by more.
Greece outclassed us in every department.
The Greek keeper had nothing to do all evening.

"Greece outclassed us in every department"

Very true. I was there and I have to say it was a joy to watch the way the Greeks played. Greek football is enjoying a bit of a renaissance at the moment, with Olympiacos winning the Europa Conference and thrashing Aston Villa 6-2 on aggregate in the semi-final; a bit like when Greece won the European Championship 20 years ago ( a trophy that England have never won).

Greece also drew 2-2 with France last year and under their new manager have won all 3 games, beating Finland 3-0, Ireland 2-0 and now England 2-1. 4-1 would have been a fairer reflection of the game.

Their centre forward (England didn't have one - a bit like Saints), Vangelis Panidis was brilliant. Benfica picked up a real bargain there when they bought him for just €20 mill this summer. He is an absolute goalscoring machine and a superb footballer. If only we'd got him instead of Archer and Brereton-Diaz.

Greece attacked at pace. They played long passes out from the back and their forwards sprinted on to them at top speed every time. Every opportunity they got, their first thought was how to get to the England goal as soon as possible. It was the complete opposite of how Saints play. We could learn so much from them.

The Greek fans were brilliant too.
[Post edited 11 Oct 11:28]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

England on 14:16 - Oct 11 with 1181 viewssaintmark1976

England on 11:04 - Oct 11 by dirk_doone

"Greece outclassed us in every department"

Very true. I was there and I have to say it was a joy to watch the way the Greeks played. Greek football is enjoying a bit of a renaissance at the moment, with Olympiacos winning the Europa Conference and thrashing Aston Villa 6-2 on aggregate in the semi-final; a bit like when Greece won the European Championship 20 years ago ( a trophy that England have never won).

Greece also drew 2-2 with France last year and under their new manager have won all 3 games, beating Finland 3-0, Ireland 2-0 and now England 2-1. 4-1 would have been a fairer reflection of the game.

Their centre forward (England didn't have one - a bit like Saints), Vangelis Panidis was brilliant. Benfica picked up a real bargain there when they bought him for just €20 mill this summer. He is an absolute goalscoring machine and a superb footballer. If only we'd got him instead of Archer and Brereton-Diaz.

Greece attacked at pace. They played long passes out from the back and their forwards sprinted on to them at top speed every time. Every opportunity they got, their first thought was how to get to the England goal as soon as possible. It was the complete opposite of how Saints play. We could learn so much from them.

The Greek fans were brilliant too.
[Post edited 11 Oct 11:28]

Never mind there will be a World Cup soon, giving the F A and their sponsors yet another opportunity to fleece gullible supporters of their hard earned.

To me the F A are very much like Manchester United, simply a business with a football team attached.

They aren’t remotely concerned about the fact that we haven’t won a single major tournament in 58 years. It’s all about rinsing the supporters season after season.

Poll: Who is responsible for our poor start to the season?

England on 14:52 - Oct 11 with 1124 viewssaint901

Carsley on the phone to RM - "I don't understand RM, I did what you said and we lost"

RM to Carsley - "Did you play players out of position? Did you tell them to pass out from the back? Did you tell them that Pickford is the best centre back we have? Did you play wingers who didn't beat their full backs all nght?"

Carsley to RM - "Yes to all of those and also I improved it by not having a CF until after an hour"

RM to Carsley -"well I don't understand it. It's always worked for me!"
England on 15:13 - Oct 11 with 1088 viewssledger

all i hear every international break is how we are overloaded with world class talent,im not seeing or feeling it.I think its the old chestnut of good english players playing week in week out with world class overseas talent,or in other words they aint all that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024